5 (10%)

Total votes: 52

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: TR Gerbil's Choice Review I - Official Thread

Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am

JBI wrote:
They die because they get the bottom-of-the-bin NAND flash chips that aren't good enough to be used in SSDs...

Yeah, and since they source them rather indiscriminately, it's kind of hard to "test" them. What TR got with its specific "model" of a USB thumb drive could be, and very often is, completely unrelated to what you'd get when buying that same specific "model".

Confounds the idea of really testing them, the best we can do is sort of say that certain models tend to be better :(

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am

Plex hardware transcoding using Windows 10. How does Intel QSV compare to NVENC in quality, bitrate, encoder, HDR, .etc. Also, can a 100$ APU do hardware transcode? It's not officially supported but should use WMF for it. EDIT: also, how many streams can you do?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 pm

drfish wrote:
If it wasn't for the clean up afterward, I would totally get the MMM ripping hot and then just drop a sous vide steak on it for like 30 seconds each side. I've used cast iron to similar effect previously.

See, I think Sous vide meat, any meat, looks quite unnatural and off putting that I haven't even tried one.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Grilled on charcoal is the only correct way to cook a ribeye. I'll take mine medium rare, thanks.

Nahh my preferred method is liberal salt and pepper seared on a screaming hot cast iron pan then finish in the oven. Rest and sometimes a pat of garlic butter made with roasted garlic and Kerrygold butter.

I have home dry aged, 6-8 weeks for some truly funky flavors and aroma. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm

tanker27 wrote:
See, I think Sous vide meat, any meat, looks quite unnatural and off putting that I haven't even tried one.

Sous vide, then fry pan/grill to put on the crust.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Maybe USB thumb drives are too variable to get a good endurance test of, but how about the external SSDs? I'm looking to get one for my sneakernet, mostly because I kill USB drives on a regular basis running things from work to home. Even better if it is a cheap model - I expect Samsung or SanDisk to have a decent lifespan.

I'd love to see you hammer on this or this, or both together. Ohh, maybe throw an Intel 660p in there as well? See who cracks first!
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Even if flash drive testing has to be pretty fuzzy on which drive is best, some testing would be cool just to see what kinds of abuse they can or can't stand up to on average. My flash drives die a lot, but I don't have much sense of what it is that kills them.

Beyond models, you could see if any performance characteristics when new have a particularly strong correlation with a drive's longevity.

At risk of extending the experiment significantly (I don't expect the drives to actually last that long), some unpowered retention testing would also be very nice, even if it were just a few weeks.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 2:38 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Even if flash drive testing has to be pretty fuzzy on which drive is best, some testing would be cool just to see what kinds of abuse they can or can't stand up to on average. My flash drives die a lot, but I don't have much sense of what it is that kills them.

Hmm, maybe SD Card endurance testing for cell phones?

I'm pretty sure that a "hot car" temperature test (maybe 110F / 43C) should be involved, to see how well various SD Cards can hold their data in realistic situations.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Good point. The "flash drive" I own that's taken the most use without any trouble is actually a microSD-USB adapter with an 8GB Lexar card in it. That's been my carting-small-files-around drive for probably 5 or 6 years now (its usefulness for larger transfers is limited by lack of USB3).

Yan
Gerbil XP

Wed May 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Sous vide is a silly fad, like molecular gastronomy before it.

Wonders
Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Go test drive some Teslas and give us your review of the whole experience. I have been too busy to learn about the tech but it would surely be fun to hear in your inimitable voice.

Or maybe some ThermoWorks products?

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 am

How about testing the new Duke game controller? Try it out in various use cases like gaming, doorstop, paperweight, home defence.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 am

NTMBK wrote:
How about testing the new Duke game controller? Try it out in various use cases like gaming, doorstop, paperweight, home defence.

I actually had to look that up. (I am not a console player) So its just the OG Xbox controller. You know I actually liked that controller, It fit my hands better than the PS one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am

NTMBK wrote:

It's made by Hyperkin, so I don't hold out high hopes for the re-born Duke.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 am

Mr Bill wrote:
ludi wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Well, you better plan on spending some time at BBQ understanding the mechanics and design of the cannon, as it's prime fodder for something like this.

That's a threefer. I suspect a dad is nearby.
Are we talking potato cannon? That would be fun, I've enjoyed mine a long time. But I wonder if its strictly legal to do a show and tell.

They're ever so slightly grey-area, and the rules on them are typically vague; with a significant amount of variation depending on local jurisdiction and/or whether the cop is having a bad day. They're certainly not a firearm, and 99.7% of towns aren't going to have anything specific to them on the books. If you're being a complete idiot, you're most likely to get tagged for a noise disturbance. Writing about them......probably fine, but even harder to say. Were I running TR I'd likely shy away, just to avoid any possible negative attention.

With all that said, it's been well over 10 years, and I need to build my new model with a new electronic sparking mechanism. Likely remote control as well.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 am

The Egg wrote:
They're ever so slightly grey-area, and the rules on them are typically vague; with a significant amount of variation depending on local jurisdiction and/or whether the cop is having a bad day. They're certainly not a firearm, and 99.7% of towns aren't going to have anything specific to them on the books. If you're being a complete idiot, you're most likely to get tagged for a noise disturbance. Writing about them......probably fine, but even harder to say. Were I running TR I'd likely shy away, just to avoid any possible negative attention.

With all that said, it's been well over 10 years, and I need to build my new model with a new electronic sparking mechanism. Likely remote control as well.

https://techreport.com/news/23409/tr-bb ... e-best-yet

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The Egg wrote:

https://techreport.com/news/23409/tr-bb ... e-best-yet
I'm interested in how you implemented rifling the muzzle. I used an oversized cleanout for the chamber so mine is quite a cannon. The muzzle flash, only visible at night, is pretty cool. It lights up the inside of the barrel and vents a pale tongue of flame. Dimethyl Ether hairspray works best.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I'm interested in how you implemented rifling the muzzle. I used an oversized cleanout for the chamber so mine is quite a cannon. The muzzle flash, only visible at night, is pretty cool. It lights up the inside of the barrel and vents a pale tongue of flame. Dimethyl Ether hairspray works best.

Simple. I bought it: https://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=35

Mine runs on propane and a piezoelectric gas grill sparker. All my design calcs are courtesy of tests and tools found here: http://www.burntlatke.com/

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Simple. I bought it: https://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=35

Mine runs on propane and a piezoelectric gas grill sparker. All my design calcs are courtesy of tests and tools found here: http://www.burntlatke.com/

Rifling is interesting, but wouldn't it prevent the pressure from building beyond a certain point by allowing gasses to escape around the spud? I prefer 1.5" barrels myself. After an incident where hot gasses escaped around the grill button and burnt my hand (I was creating some extreme pressure by double and triple-loading), I made a quick and dirty sparking system using disposable camera flashes. Simply connect some light gauge wire (20/22ga) to the flash bulb connections, run them into the chamber through a very small hole, and gap them about 1/4". House the old camera electronics however you'd like, with one button to charge the capacitor, and one button to fire.

Just don't accidentally touch your knuckle to charged capacitor leads, unless you're trying to find religion.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 09, 2019 3:40 pm

The Egg wrote:
Rifling is interesting, but wouldn't it prevent the pressure from building beyond a certain point by allowing gasses to escape around the spud?

Seems likely that the expansion of the igniting propellant occurs quickly enough that any leakage around the rifling isn't much of a factor.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Rifling is interesting, but wouldn't it prevent the pressure from building beyond a certain point by allowing gasses to escape around the spud?

Seems likely that the expansion of the igniting propellant occurs quickly enough that any leakage around the rifling isn't much of a factor.

Since the potato is both muzzle-loaded and somewhat flexible, it does a good job of sealing the gaps. Anyone who's seen the cannon at BBQ knows it's got some serious range.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
The tech audience is switching from PC to console/mobile. Why not critically review that?

That's a pretty easy one to explain at a high level:
Mobile: It's with you wherever you go, so it's an easy time-kill. That also makes it very addictive since it's super easy to jump into a game.
Console: Relatively inexpensive hardware cost for a significantly improved visual experience over mobile. Haptic input. "It just works." Split-screen multiplayer (for those remaining few gamers that still have local friends). Can game from your couch. Performance is well-optimized, giving consoles the ability to "hit above their weight class".
Laptop: Less performance per $ than console. More portable than console, but less than mobile. Has the added benefit of being "dual purpose".
Desktop PC: Better visuals than console (but many console users would argue the difference is negligible). Again, more expensive hardware. Hardly anybody uses/needs a desktop PC anymore, so the whole "dual purpose" thing is out the window. Due to lack of split-screen multiplayer, desktops never really gained traction in the living room despite their ability to perform well there. You get more control over your experience, but that also often means you need to dedicate time to optimize that experience. Increasingly fewer people are tinkerers these days. Poor "console ports".

Really the game devs are in full control over what platform(s) succeed and what platforms die off. If you remove/disable features for a given platform (like PC), consumers will move away from it.

That being said, I commented because I would also like to see an article related to your suggestion. My comments are more intended to be talking points within said article.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 10, 2019 12:58 pm

I'd love to see a real TR optane review/

Is it really all that and more or just a gimmick you won't see much real world improvement from?
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Aranarth wrote:

Is it really all that and more or just a gimmick you won't see much real world improvement from?

Jeff did a regular Optane review with graphs and everything two years ago. I think that for round 2, unusual uses and endurance testing would be more valuable.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

Jeff did a regular Optane review with graphs and everything two years ago. I think that for round 2, unusual uses and endurance testing would be more valuable.

Jeff's review was a good start for sure. I think there is still some questions when it comes to a price trade-off though.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

Jeff's review was a good start for sure. I think there is still some questions when it comes to a price trade-off though.

Given the prices of SSD's these days I don't think there's much to investigate.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 10, 2019 2:15 pm

1) Another vote for Optane (is an Optane RAID a thing, or a thing worth doing?)
2) DisplayPort cable performance. I had to get one from these guys https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi-cables/index.htm to actually get to 2K@144Hz for a 6ft cable
3) Some sort of "How-To" guide for dummies... like "Host your own VPN server". Go into the actual details, so general idiots like me can follow along; "install xxx software with 'apt get install blahblahblah' ", "open this config file for blahblahblah and modify these setting like this" and "find the local I/P address of your server (ifconfig -a), forward port xxx to this I/P address by doing x, y, z on your router"...

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri May 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Yeah, you could test the smaller Optane 16GB, 32GB, and 58GB drives as speed boosters, paired with a HDD and then various types of SSD (hopefully you already have some on hand), and finally each option vs the 58GB as a main standalone system drive. The three would put you a fair amount over $100 though, unless somebody happened to have hardware they could loan you.

I also think the testing 128GB USB flash drives could be a good choice. After this thread got me looking into things, I found the Sandisk Extreme Go 128GB for $32, which is halfway to the SSD-ish write speeds of the more expensive "Pro" (over $50), and significantly faster than other less expensive USB options.

Edit: The reason I say 128GB is because typically there's a decent jump in write speed when you go above 64GB (as mentioned by Samsung with their Bar Plus drives), and that's also where some of the better models start out.

Edit 2: You could also test versus some of the cheapo ~120GB SSDs in an enclosure.

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 pm

I had another idea. Newer custom loops are offering aluminum versions. What's the performance difference, if any, going cheaper on the custom loop? If you had the hardware you could only test a new radiator to keep the budget.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 am

A separate conversation made me wonder about NVMe drives and lane. How about a test of NVME drives whether the # of lanes makes an appreciable difference? I would think that 1 lane is good enough for most things and very few would benefit from 4 lanes outside of synthetics. If you use a PCI-E card which splits 4 lanes into 2 pairs of 2, is that going to hurt anything? My hypothesis is loading times and general use won't see a difference at all.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
A separate conversation made me wonder about NVMe drives and lane. How about a test of NVME drives whether the # of lanes makes an appreciable difference? I would think that 1 lane is good enough for most things and very few would benefit from 4 lanes outside of synthetics. If you use a PCI-E card which splits 4 lanes into 2 pairs of 2, is that going to hurt anything? My hypothesis is loading times and general use won't see a difference at all.

1 lane of PCIe 3.0 can transfer about 990MB/s. As we've seen in many NVMe and Optane reviews is that the actual bandwidth difference for these higher speed drives is unlikely to be noticed by the average consumer. The real benefit is/was the response time improvement.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod