Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Chuckula got a RAM Upgrade

Sun May 19, 2019 10:04 am

If you were expecting RGB LEDs then you will be disappoint.

BLAM:
ImageTruck2 by Chuck Ula, on Flickr

and

ImageTruck1 by Chuck Ula, on Flickr

This is a long overdue replacement for my 11 year old hatchback that made it difficult to schlep the lawnmower down to my land. Additionally, the boss has approved this vehicle for carrying mini-Chuckula around, which was not an option with the old ride (see, that's how you convince your wife that you can have a pickup!)
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Chuckula got a RAM Upgrade

Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 am

Unregistered. 1500. So-called enthusiasts buy 3200 or 3600 these days. I see you prefer reliability and don't care much about ultimate speed.

chuckula
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 am

Wirko wrote:
Unregistered. 1500. So-called enthusiasts buy 3200 or 3600 these days. I see you prefer reliability and don't care much about ultimate speed.

The registration is in the mail!. I do like to drive it reliably though, especially because this thing is a truck where I was used to driving a three-door four-banger hatchback. So I drive this thing like an old lady compared to how I'd go around corners in my old ride.

Fun facts: The "clock speed" of the engine at highway speeds on this bad boy is right around half of what my old car required. You get that when upgrading from four "cores" to eight cores.

Plus it's a freakin' Hemi... so that's like hyperthreading or something. Since nobody knows what the hell a hemi does*.

* It's a 2017 that I got at a great price, I didn't jump out of my way to get a hemi just because.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 am

Hemi means half. Smells of clustered multithreading. You sure they didn't sell you a cowsnoozer?

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 am

Nice. I've thought about getting a big truck at some point after finding an affordable house. Probably a very well used one given how expensive trucks are these days. They're very popular up here on account of the winter.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 pm

if you cant dodge it

ram it
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 25, 2019 11:33 pm

chuckula wrote:

* It's a 2017 that I got at a great price, I didn't jump out of my way to get a hemi just because.

Gas guzzling behemoth: BOOOOooooo! :P

Good used (..err "pre-owned) price: YAY! 8) :D

-of course good utility always gets a THUMBS UP! :D ..even if parking becomes an episode of Fear Factor. :o :lol:

toki
Gerbil XP

Sun May 26, 2019 6:48 am

yeah, but can it play Crysis 2? Great truck btw!

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Nice. I've thought about getting a big truck at some point after finding an affordable house. Probably a very well used one given how expensive trucks are these days. They're very popular up here on account of the winter.

When a purchased a second-hand CrewMax Tundra two years ago I found that pre-owned trucks were on average about $4-5K less in cost in the North East area vs Southern states. I checked in TX as well since the Tundras are built in San Antonio but still the used truck market is higher there too. Definitely nice to have a 4x4 for winter snow events. I bought new once several years ago but not anymore. Better deals with pre-owned and used car loans are reasonable these days with good credit.
Chuckula, congrats on the Ram!
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 am

G8torbyte wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

When a purchased a second-hand CrewMax Tundra two years ago I found that pre-owned trucks were on average about $4-5K less in cost in the North East area vs Southern states. I checked in TX as well since the Tundras are built in San Antonio but still the used truck market is higher there too. Definitely nice to have a 4x4 for winter snow events. I bought new once several years ago but not anymore. Better deals with pre-owned and used car loans are reasonable these days with good credit.
Chuckula, congrats on the Ram!

They're probably cheaper in the NE because they're more likely to have rust/corrosion issues due to winter weather.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun May 26, 2019 11:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
They're probably cheaper in the NE because they're more likely to have rust/corrosion issues due to winter weather.

Especially if they're just occasional-use cars. The usual fix 'round here is to remove the bed and replace it with pressure-treated lumber.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

chuckula
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2019 11:42 am

CScottG wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Gas guzzling behemoth: BOOOOooooo! :P

Good used (..err "pre-owned) price: YAY! 8) :D

-of course good utility always gets a THUMBS UP! :D ..even if parking becomes an episode of Fear Factor. :o :lol:

Lol. Fuel Efficiency: Not great but I am capable of getting 22 - 23 MPG on the highway since I don't drive like a maniac. Definitely a step down from my old Hyundai, but even the bigger vehicles are more efficient than they used to be. As for parking... HAVEN'T HIT ANYONE YET! It won't park on a dime like my old ride, but it has a backup camera [not present in the 2008 base-model hatchback it replaced] that has proven quite useful.

Unlike some people, I don't own this truck as some type of status symbol. I have already used it to schlep my lawnmower and other equipment down for work, and it makes the process much easier than it was in my hatchback. If I didn't have that regular need then I'd probably recommend something a little more normal. Plus a real back seat that didn't exist in my 3-door hatchback is a step up too.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun May 26, 2019 11:54 am

It is not registered and it lacks ECC (Extra Carrying Capacity) support. ;)
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2019 1:34 pm

Krogoth wrote:
It is not registered and it lacks ECC (Extra Carrying Capacity) support. ;)

It might have a trailer hitch!

Rand
Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't see a single 9900K license plate anywhere in that picture. I'm disappointed in you.

mikepers
Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Congrats on the new truck! Very nice!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Rand wrote:
I don't see a single 9900K license plate anywhere in that picture. I'm disappointed in you.

I would expect OPTANE on the plate ;)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Especially if they're just occasional-use cars. The usual fix 'round here is to remove the bed and replace it with pressure-treated lumber.

Also the it eats up the exhaust pipes. I replaced mine with T304 stainless steel using a Borla bolt-on kit. I opted for the side-out version since I pull trailers occasionally.
The installation was not difficult and did it on my driveway with ramps. Cutting the corroded bolts off the original was the aggravating part.

Image Image[
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

The Egg

Sun May 26, 2019 7:05 pm

chuckula wrote:
Fun facts: The "clock speed" of the engine at highway speeds on this bad boy is right around half of what my old car required. You get that when upgrading from four "cores" to eight cores.

That's really your only saving grace, as Dodge engines are notoriously over-the-top thirsty. Their motors are solid though, and have gobs of power. Aside from the gas pump, rust would be your next biggest enemy (including brake lines, exhaust, et al).

I recommend turning it into a helium-filled model, by filling the bed, cab, and anywhere possible with helium balloons to make it lighter. You should also cover the whole thing with a thin coating of Pam spray, so the air flows better and doesn't stick to it.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 26, 2019 7:28 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Rand wrote:

I would expect OPTANE on the plate ;)

That reminded me of an episode of Knight Rider where the baddie was running some sort of nitrous oxide system in their car. They thought they were pretty fast, until Michael and KITT decided to show them what HIGH OPTANE was all about. 8)