Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Peter Bright of Ars Technica charged by FBI

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 pm

https://www.businessinsider.in/a-promin ... 697666.cms

Prominent tech reporter Peter Bright, age 38, was charged on Friday in connection with soliciting sex from minors online, according to a Daily Dot report. Bright, who worked for tech blog Ars Technica and is well-known in tech circles.
Last edited by arunphilip on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Re: Peter Bright of Ars Technica arrested

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is a bit of a shock

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:54 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is a bit of a shock

Seriously. I spent less time reading the original article, and more time searching for other reports to confirm it wasn't some prank. That's when I came across the report on Business Insider.

I also noticed Peter's not tweeted or written an article since May 22nd.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Seems genuine - his account at Ars has been banned.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Bloody weird. I liked that guy o.o
Meow.

gecko575
Gerbil

Re: Peter Bright of Ars Technica charged by FBI

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Just because he's been charged does not mean he is guilty. We're going to have to wait for more information

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Good gravy...whatever you do don't read the Daily Dot article that goes into more detail. My daughter's going to be 11 next month. I just want to wake her up and hug her. :(
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
My daughter's going to be 11 next month.

Ah, that part of the story must've hit especially hard.

My nieces are roughly the age of the other two children mentioned, so yeah, I can begin to understand how you feel.

Props to the feds for building up their case over a month.

I cannot rationally explain it, but it sickens me that I've been reading his articles even during that period.

Yan
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 pm

38? I would have thought him older.

Bizarre.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:15 am

Read this last night, didn't know how to respond. This morning, I still don't. Just a terrible, terrible thing if true (and as a sting operation, well...).
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:08 am

gecko575 wrote:
Just because he's been charged does not mean he is guilty. We're going to have to wait for more information

If the reported info is true, it looks pretty open-and-shut unfortunately.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Good gravy...whatever you do don't read the Daily Dot article that goes into more detail.

Kinda hard NOT to look after you posted that; I probably would not have bothered clicking through to the other article otherwise. Damn, that's disgusting.

As for Peter... way to go, dude. Great way to flush the rest of your life down the toilet...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

gecko575
Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Good gravy...whatever you do don't read the Daily Dot article...

If true, that's a lot of written evidence that seems to be quite condemning. :-/ It just seems a little unbelievable. I have two little girls and it hits pretty close to home. My brother was accused of molesting his children by his ex and he landed in jail for 90 days before anyone even looked at his case. All of the allegations were untrue, but it still took a long time to sort through. Fast forward to six years later and we're at the tail end of the process of getting his record expunged.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 am

gecko575 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Good gravy...whatever you do don't read the Daily Dot article...

If true, that's a lot of written evidence that seems to be quite condemning. :-/ It just seems a little unbelievable. I have two little girls and it hits pretty close to home. My brother was accused of molesting his children by his ex and he landed in jail for 90 days before anyone even looked at his case. All of the allegations were untrue, but it still took a long time to sort through. Fast forward to six years later and we're at the tail end of the process of getting his record expunged.

Can certainly understand why you were skeptical given what your brother has been through. Has your brother's ex been charged with anything in connection with the fabricated accusations? I sure hope so.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:30 am

To me, Peter Bright resembles Dilbert. Is Dilbert a pedo by extension?

gecko575
Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:41 am

No, she hasn't. My brother Paul didn't want to make things worse for his kids, so as soon as things cooled down he just wanted life to return to "normal". I think that if you are willing to defame someones name with no cause you should face repercussions, and I don't agree with Pauls decision to just drop it.

Here is a video that her lawyer made when things looked pretty incriminating: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_DDC ... lRtR19tV2M

All of the accusations in that video were deemed to be false in a CRIMINAL court case that was being pushed by the state of Utah. It's a really strange story.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes things don't appear as they seem initially and we should be slow to judge Peter. There may be more to the story.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:26 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
To me, Peter Bright resembles Dilbert. Is Dilbert a pedo by extension?

What an amazingly stupid post.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 pm

I've also known people that went to jail over obviously made-up stuff too, so I've no objection to waiting for actual facts before passing judgment. More generally, this sort of thing is why I mostly avoid other people--too risky with all the anonymous innuendo and culture of sabotage that's going around lately. Every few years I'll start to wonder what the dating thing would be like, then something like this or the Aziz Ansari thing comes along and reminds me why it's such a bad idea. After all, the adversary can't destroy what it can't see.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Maybe we shouldn't be all that surprised.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8ioBlBW4AAJreB.jpg:large

no, that's not photoshopped: https://twitter.com/DrPizza
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:08 pm

DancinJack wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not surprised that he had those tendencies (I'd seen that Twitter bio before), just disgusted at the way he has allegedly expressed them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Not a bright day in the history of his life.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not surprised that he had those tendencies (I'd seen that Twitter bio before), just disgusted at the way he has allegedly expressed them.

There's "pervy" (between consenting adults), and then there's the stuff he's accused of trying to do. Nasty.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
There's "pervy" (between consenting adults), and then there's the stuff he's accused of trying to do. Nasty.

True, but tweets like these are why I quit following him on Twitter long ago.

https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1137203558971928576

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:27 pm

gecko575 wrote:

That's pretty terrible......but there's also a difference between an ex making baseless accusations just to be vindictive, and this case, where it appears he was directly caught by an FBI agent, along with considerable evidence to go with it in writing. We'll see where the final verdict leads, but it's not looking good at all.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Yikes. I bet I've read a lot of his articles over the years. I wonder how long before they're all purged from Ars...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:43 pm

gecko your case is a little different. That's more of a women ex's can accuse men of anything kindof thing. This was a fbi sting.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:45 am

gecko575 wrote:

SDNY Complaint wrote:
6. PETER BRIGHT, the defendant, was thereafter advised of his Miranda rights, waived those rights, and agreed to speak with law enforcement officers. Among other things, BRLGHT admitted to having chatted with UC-1 regarding engaging in sexual activity with the Minors.

Link

I wouldn't recommend reading it. The submitted evidence is distasteful and that's too simplistic an adjective.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

LostCat

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:51 am

just brew it! wrote:

There's also pervy between whoever and the internet...bloody living beings can stay the hell out of it. :p
Meow.

TravelMug
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:34 am

Jeezus, that's nuts. I was wondering yesterday about all those moderated down comments under various articles then clicked on one of them. Yikes! It's also mildly shocking how you don't put some of the tweets/comments that were out there in the open in context because you just don't go there in your head. Then this happens and you look at those same tweets differently. Or how some old comments like for example these ones from his marriage thread from a few years ago get an extra creepy vibe:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=22989178#p22989178

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:43 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
Link

I wouldn't recommend reading it. The submitted evidence is distasteful and that's too simplistic an adjective.

Jesus mate, I know you didn't recommend reading but who couldn't?

Serious question to US/NY peeps: what's the expected sentence he's looking at, and will you keep him in your jails or try sending him back here?
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 500GB Crucial P1, 250GB Crucial MX500, 4TB 7E8, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, RX 580, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:07 am

Topinio wrote:
Serious question to US/NY peeps: what's the expected sentence he's looking at, and will you keep him in your jails or try sending him back here?

If he's found guilty as currently charged, I believe Federal sentencing rules call for 10 to life. Upon release he will also need to register with local authorities as a convicted sex offender, and depending on jurisdiction there may be additional restrictions (e.g. where he can live, what he can do for a living, where he is allowed to go) to minimize the chances for physical interaction with potential victims.

I don't know what his citizenship status is; if he's here on a Green Card (legal permanent resident but not a citizen), I assume that would probably be revoked. In that case, he'd probably serve out his sentence here, then be deported upon release. (IANAL so obviously this is speculation.)