Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: What if......

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm

I’m missing a few. Hmm. I know I had Zodiac at one point. Must have gotten lost. Time to add the rest of them to the ‘ole Amazon wishlist so I can get them at the fall booksale.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
By some bizarre twist of fate, I've never read any of his books. I really need to remedy that.

Cryptonomicon. You must read Cryptonomicon.

That's up next, after I finish Snow Crash (I'm about 90% of the way through it already).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am

I've added Cryptonomicon to my list thanks to this thread.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Funnily enough, there's a vignette in Cryptonomicon that is exactly about the current "Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips" thread.

Cryptonomicon wrote:
...He did not say anything like, "Randy let me just show you how close the roots of this one tooth are to the bundle of nerves that distinguishes you from a marmoset," or "My schedule is incredibly full and I was thinking of going into the real estate business anyway," or "Just a second while I call my lawyer." He didn't even say anything like, "Wow, those suckers are really in deep." The young brilliant oral surgeon just said, "Okay," stood there awkwardly for a few moments, and then walked out of the room in a display of social ineptness that totally cemented Randy's faith in him

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:13 pm

So characters and legacies from Crypto show up in the new book, Fall. Maybe Enoch Root will too!

(You do miss out if you do not read Crypto)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Love how this thread popped up now as well...
Neal Stephenson was probably the author that made me really go into proper Science Fiction with Snowcrash… then onto Diamond Age.

But my take is of the reading of Stephenson so far...
Snowcrash
Zodiak
Diamond Age
Cryptonomicon
Anathem

I haven't read a lot the last years though so time to remedy that and get Seveneves and The Baroque Cycle. I read Snow crash back in early 90ies, and found it great, but considering VR chat and full body tracking available today, its like... oooohhhhh. But Anathem sailed up as a favorite among the others, but they are all very good in their own way.

On a slightly different note, if you like the above, you might also like, David Zindell (Neverness + requiem for homo sapiens), Peter F Hamilton (Nights Dawn Triology).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Finished Snow Crash on the commute home today. What a great read!

As Aphasia alludes to, with books like this it is fun to see what future (as of the early 1990s in this case) tech the author got right and what they got wrong in hindsight. While mobile computing is a thing in the Show Crash universe and there's an obvious analog of the modern internet, he didn't see anything like the convergence of the two (smart phones) coming. And the references to returning an overdue videotape rental and landline pay phones made me chuckle.

On to Cryptonomicon now... given its length, I guess this is a pretty serious commitment!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I loved the CRT hacking scene

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:07 pm

OP DELIVERS!

(Ok, not the OP, and not ...yet).

I recorded a 21 second clip of Neal Stephenson denying that he was Satoshi yesterday, but where can I upload something liek that without having to have an account or something?

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Alright, I just broke down and made a Vimeo account: https://vimeo.com/343106838

(Thanks for the offer though, Captain Ned!)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

Out freaking standing, Glorious!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!