Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

My 30 y/o fridge is clicking

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Sort of like a Deathstar hdd, so I assume it’s only a matter of time before I have to buy a new one. Not sure I could find anyone who knows how to fix a fridge hats three decades old. So I looked online at fridge buying guides, and There’s tons of recommendations for fridges that have WiFi and can probably fold your socks if you ask nicely. So my questions are thus:

1) what’s the wisdom here on fridges? What do you think of your fridge?

2) are here any worthwhile fridges that are spacious, have even cooling, and have absolutely no internet connectivity?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: My 30 y/o fridge is clicking

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 pm

I have a 10 y/o Samsung fridge with french uppers and freezer below. No connectivity or other "smart" features (this was just becoming available back then) and has worked great the whole time.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Did you check the relocated cheese count?

It may be fixable because it's a simple apparatus. But newer fridges are likely much more efficient, especially if you choose well. If memory serves, a few years back a new fridge here cut down the power use by 60%.

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm

I also have a Samsung french door, freezer below, no water in the door from 2008. No functional problems with it at all and I don't even change the ice filter.
It can be noisy sometimes, but the only real problem was getting the big one into the house.
Several relatives got one mostly because they're huge and also it's ~$1200/ 1300 for either a17.5, 21.5, or 25.5 cu ft new one at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-25-5-c ... 1000108631

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Sort of like a Deathstar hdd, so I assume it’s only a matter of time before I have to buy a new one.

If it's just the circulation fan clicking, or possibly a faulty thermostat cutting in and out, it may be repairable. But as noted by others, the energy efficiency improvements alone would probably pay for a new fridge within a few years. And if it's the compressor failing it's definitely dead, because that's possibly an R12 (CFC-type) system which is almost completely unsupported by anyone at this point.

We have a 15+yo Kenmore (OEM'd by Whirlpool) that came with the home, and since Sears is about to join the dried-out bones of Montgomery Ward in the graveyard of failed department retail, I can't offer much there. Regardless of the brand labels, most anything that isn't Korean (LG, Samsung) or Chinese (Haier, etc.) is made in a Whirlpool factory. My only suggestion is to pay attention to what fits in your space. We have the double disadvantage of French doors with a freezer/icemaker side that opens against the wall of a galley kitchen, making the freezer space very difficult to access. I don't know what the previous owners were thinking, but as we're not yet in a position to replace major appliances without a failure justification, we make the best of it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:13 pm

I'm a freezer below, standard upper door type of guy. I've never seen any meaningful benefit to having french doors, unless you had some sort of clearance issue where a single door would swing out too far. I guess I'd have to use one for an extended period to really say. Ice/water dispensers, on the other hand, are a very nice addition if the plumbing isn't too much of a hassle. They can fit a substantially larger filter than your average Brita/Pur disposables.

I wouldn't want any "smart" crap on my fridge.

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:22 pm

prolly a dirty condenser coil

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 am

I wouldn't give up on finding a repair person (or parts if you want to try DIY). New appliances these days are effectively just another piece of consumer electronics (i.e. treated as disposable), and there's no way you'll get anything close to another 30 years out of a new one.

We managed to find a local appliance repair guy who had reasonable rates and kept our old washer and dryer going. The dryer is still going strong nearly 20 years on. When the washer finally wasn't worth fixing any more he recommended a Speed Queen commercial unit as replacement (old school with a mechanical cycle timer - less to go wrong, no expensive logic board to replace if it does break), and we've been very happy with it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:59 am

Fridges and freezers are more efficient but that efficiency comes by making parts finer tolerances and pushing them harder. Modern ones will last 8-10 years. Take no notice of the warranty on the compressor - you have to pay for labour and the work required to cut the old one out, braze the new one in, purge and refill the lines is going to be almost the cost of a new one.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
(old school with a mechanical cycle timer - less to go wrong, no expensive logic board to replace if it does break)

I know that's the common wisdom, but I do wonder. There's nothing inherently breakage-prone in simple heavy-duty electronics. And the exuberant prices for replacement parts have no real reason, since it's mostly simple boards with simple MCUs.

Maybe what's needed is a push for standardization in household device controllers. Might minimize the accumulation of domestic appliance junk.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 am

I see a great need: household appliances powered by something like a Raspberry Pi.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 am

That's an overkill. Arduinos would be enough.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 am

meerkt wrote:
I know that's the common wisdom, but I do wonder. There's nothing inherently breakage-prone in simple heavy-duty electronics. And the exuberant prices for replacement parts have no real reason, since it's mostly simple boards with simple MCUs.

It is clearly a case of "because they can".

meerkt wrote:
Maybe what's needed is a push for standardization in household device controllers. Might minimize the accumulation of domestic appliance junk.

This will be a complete non-starter. The appliance makers will fight this to the death because it takes away their ability to differentiate their products from their competitors, artificially segment their product lines by withholding features from lower-cost models, and charge exorbitant prices for replacement controller boards.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 am

Cellphones didn't have common chargers until laws started mandating that.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:07 am

meerkt wrote:
Cellphones didn't have common chargers until laws started mandating that.

Yeah, but there was less at stake there. And either there's a loophole which allows manufacturers to bypass the requirement, or manufacturers with enough clout can get the standard redefined to include their preferred charging connector (Apple).

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 am

meerkt wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
(old school with a mechanical cycle timer - less to go wrong, no expensive logic board to replace if it does break)

I have a few friends who have spent several years at a very large regional appliance store. I've also had my share of hands-on experience with craptastic "budget" appliances, and indeed saw a very high rate of logic board failure. Anyone with even a small amount of knowledge could take just a passing glance and tell you a good part of the reason why.....

Manufacturers take no account of high heat or moisture/humidity generated in appliances, and also take no steps to safeguard PCB boards against it. They could probably lower their logic board failure rates by 90% for no more than a $5 increase on the BOM, but have no interest in doing so. Nobody's steering the ship, and nobody's paying attention. I doubt the failure rates/causes have even made it back to anyone in engineering. The people in charge would rather just lower all warranties to 1-year than bother with any of that. The only real driving-force for changes is the marketing pushing them to add more useless checkbox features.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 am

The Egg wrote:
marketing pushing them to add more useless checkbox features.

Hey, marketing checkboxes can be useful. In my most recent washer you now have the feature to disable program-end alert noises.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 am

meerkt wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Hey, marketing checkboxes can be useful. In my most recent washer you now have the feature to disable program-end alert noises.

Our 20 year old dryer has that feature. It's a physical toggle switch on the control panel that disconnects the buzzer circuit.

But hey, if you want to interpret re-implementing in software of a feature that old-school appliances have had for decades as a form of progress, be my guest! :wink:

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Our 20 year old dryer has that feature. It's a physical toggle switch on the control panel that disconnects the buzzer circuit.

As does my parents ~15 year old models. Hard to believe, but that's actually a feature based on customer feedback. Left to competing marketing departments, all program-end buzzers would be no fewer than 110 decibels, but include at least 6 different siren alarms. This year's model would have flashing blue LEDs; now 150% brighter.

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 am

The Egg wrote:
Manufacturers take no account of high heat or moisture/humidity generated in appliances, and also take no steps to safeguard PCB boards against it. They could probably lower their logic board failure rates by 90% for no more than a $5 increase on the BOM, but have no interest in doing so.

Interesting ... I have wondered if this was the case.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:31 am

Same thing as the microwaves. I make sure any microwave I buy has a silent mode. We don't cook more than 5-6 minutes in the microwave, and it's in the kitchen, so I don't need a beep to tell me when it's done.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am

SoM wrote:
prolly a dirty condenser coil

OP - check on this one. If the condenser isn't dissipating correctly, the coolant system will overheat and cut out, then try to restart a short time later. Modern compressors usually have a thermal or time-delay relay to protect the compressor motor from hot restarts but older (and heavier-built) units sometimes do not.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Same thing as the microwaves. I make sure any microwave I buy has a silent mode. We don't cook more than 5-6 minutes in the microwave, and it's in the kitchen, so I don't need a beep to tell me when it's done.

Some microwaves have gotten more obnoxious in this regard. For instance, the Sharp model at work will continue to beep roughly every 45 seconds after finishing until it's cleared or the door is opened. If the person using it happens to take (and get stuck on) a phonecall while their item is heating, this can be greatly effective on sending other people (or the boss) over the edge.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

The Egg wrote:
Some microwaves have gotten more obnoxious in this regard. For instance, the Sharp model at work will continue to beep roughly every 45 seconds after finishing until it's cleared or the door is opened. If the person using it happens to take (and get stuck on) a phonecall while their item is heating, this can be greatly effective on sending other people (or the boss) over the edge.

Hold the zero button, wait 20 seconds. See if makes noise after that.
Hold the one button, wait 20 seconds. See if makes noise after that.
Hold the two button, wait 20 seconds. See if makes noise after that.

Try with Cancel or Stop next.

80% chance that solves your problem until your next power outage.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 am

Ten or twelve years ago I replaced a 1949 GE with a freezer on top 18 cu-ft Whirlpool. It was $399 installed from Lowe's. It still looks and runs like new out of box. It freezes my microwave entrees so hard I have to add a minute or so to the defrost time. The interior is flexible and very well designed. Freezer on top keeps the cooling air circulation simple. If cleaning the coils doesn't help replacing the fan is usually fairly easy with just a screwdriver.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"