Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Kempner Rice Diet

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am

Nothing spikes my (type 2 diabetic) blood sugar like white rice and/or pasta.

I figure I should just eat more of that and also sugar. That seems legit.

(Real talk I 'cured' my diabetes temporarily while on Keto, consistently had safe blood sugar levels. Unfortunately my blood iron skyrocketed and i gained back the 50 lbs i lost doing it)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am

tanker27 wrote:
No, it's because of, as JBI pointed out, that you were gullible in inferring that a white rice diet would even be remotely healthy. It's not, a whole Race, Ethnicity, culture is realizing this!

Devil's Advocate: While not that healthy long term, it is only meant for 15 days. The low caloric content and complete lack of refined sugars will definitely make some sort of immediate positive impact for someone who has achieved a pre T2 diabetic state (high insulin resistance/blood-glucose) from a prior long-term diet high in refined sugars and processed carbs, etc, and a lifestyle of taking in more energy than expended.

Edit: This rice cleans-ish diet kind of reminds of of that "Nail Soup" fable, where the hungry charlatan goes door to door with a nail, telling gullible residents that their special nail will make the most wonderful soup. All that is needed is one extra ingredient... and just one more ingredient... and just one final ingredient. In the end, it isn't the nail that makes for a decent soup, but all of the ingredients provided by the resident. Substitute the nail with rice in this scenario, the real benefit to blood-glucose levels coming from calorie restriction and elimination of refined sugar.
Last edited by cynan on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 am

You can rewire your brain in less time than that. You'd net the same effect if you spent 15 days sucking on nothing more tan Cinnamon Fire Jolly Ranchers! :/ And that would probably be a bit better than white rice.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am

tanker27 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
If the Flat Earth society offers certifications in Flat Earth theory, does that make it true?

It is flat! and where can I get certified in it!? 8)

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

cynan wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
No, it's because of, as JBI pointed out, that you were gullible in inferring that a white rice diet would even be remotely healthy. It's not, a whole Race, Ethnicity, culture is realizing this!

Devil's Advocate: While not that healthy long term, it is only meant for 15 days. The low caloric content and complete lack of refined sugars will definitely make some sort of immediate positive impact for someone who has achieved a pre T2 diabetic state (high insulin resistance/blood-glucose) from a prior long-term diet high in refined sugars and processed carbs, etc, and a lifestyle of taking in more energy than expended.

Edit: This rice cleans-ish diet kind of reminds of of that "Nail Soup" fable, where the hungry charlatan goes door to door with a nail, telling gullible residents that their special nail will make the most wonderful soup. All that is needed is one extra ingredient... and just one more ingredient... and just one final ingredient. In the end, it isn't the nail that makes for a decent soup, but all of the ingredients provided by the resident. Substitute the nail with rice in this scenario, the real benefit to blood-glucose levels coming from calorie restriction and elimination of refined sugar.

...and what happens after those 15 days? Going back to previous dietary habits will undo any gains.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 pm

https://lysulin.com/

What is it?

Lysulin is a formulation developed by a Ph.D. It is nothing groundbreaking. Just a combination of the amino acid Lysine, vitamin C and the essential element Zinc.

How does it work?

Lysulin takes a three-pronged approach to attacking the high blood glucose problem.

Lysine binds with glucose molecules and is passed out through the urine. Result: lesser numbers of damaging glucose molecules to go around wreaking havoc on the body.

Vitamin C is similar in structure to the glucose molecule and will substitute glucose in the adverse metabolic reactions that are responsible for the ravaging effects of Diabetes. Vitamin C also drops the blood glucose level. Result: Diabetic damage is minimized.

Zinc is necessary in the storage of the insulin molecule. Diabetics are usually deficient in Zinc. Result: more Zinc is available for the body's needs and especially for storing insulin in sufficient quantities.

Are there any side effects?

Depends. If Zinc levels are normal in the body, supplementing with additional Zinc may disturb the levels of copper in the body as both are related. High levels of supplemented Vitamin C may increase the impact of any insult/injury to the liver. And finally, the amino acid Lysine may cause renal tubular necrosis. Translation: may lead to kidney failure.

Should I use it?

If you think the benefits outweigh the potential side effects, Lysulin may help to bring blood glucose levels within the normal range. Always discuss with your doctor before starting any supplement.

Conflict of interest: None

I stand by the accuracy of these statements as they reflect my understanding of this product and its constituents based on non-exhaustive Google searches and study of medical research papers. Those interested in verifying the veracity of these statements are encouraged to conduct their own Google searches and reach their own conclusions. Thank you.

EDIT: wrongly mentioned that Zinc is involved in formation of Insulin. Zinc is actually used for storing Insulin in the pancreatic beta cells.
Last edited by Igor_Kavinski on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Dude, do yourself a favor and stop looking for magic bullets. You're certainly not alone; this is why fad diets and gimmicky supplements exist, but they don't work. At best they do nothing, and at worse they can be harmful.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

OMG STOP! Get out of mom's basement and off the couch and move a bit! On second thought I have this pill called Chlorthalidone, it will help you lose weight, control hypertension and TII Beetus while you Google for other sake oil treatments. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:12 pm

the best magic bullet for dropping your blood sugar is not eating high gi foods

[expletive redacted] magical y'all!
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

What is it?

Lysulin is a formulation developed by a Ph.D. It is nothing groundbreaking. Just a combination of the amino acid Lysine, vitamin C and the essential element Zinc.

How does it work?

Lysulin takes a three-pronged approach to attacking the high blood glucose problem.

Lysine binds with glucose molecules and is passed out through the urine. Result: lesser numbers of damaging glucose molecules to go around wreaking havoc on the body.

Vitamin C is similar in structure to the glucose molecule and will substitute glucose in the adverse metabolic reactions that are responsible for the ravaging effects of Diabetes. Vitamin C also drops the blood glucose level. Result: Diabetic damage is minimized.

Zinc is necessary in the storage of the insulin molecule. Diabetics are usually deficient in Zinc. Result: more Zinc is available for the body's needs and especially for storing insulin in sufficient quantities.

Are there any side effects?

Depends. If Zinc levels are normal in the body, supplementing with additional Zinc may disturb the levels of copper in the body as both are related. High levels of supplemented Vitamin C may increase the impact of any insult/injury to the liver. And finally, the amino acid Lysine may cause renal tubular necrosis. Translation: may lead to kidney failure.

Should I use it?

If you think the benefits outweigh the potential side effects, Lysulin may help to bring blood glucose levels within the normal range. Always discuss with your doctor before starting any supplement.

Conflict of interest: None

I stand by the accuracy of these statements as they reflect my understanding of this product and its constituents based on non-exhaustive Google searches and study of medical research papers. Those interested in verifying the veracity of these statements are encouraged to conduct their own Google searches and reach their own conclusions. Thank you.

EDIT: wrongly mentioned that Zinc is involved in formation of Insulin. Zinc is actually used for storing Insulin in the pancreatic beta cells.

Yes, some independent studies have shown that lysine can help moderate glucose levels.

There are better ways to get it than those pills though. Many common foods contain plenty of lysine. Why not eat a balanced diet (instead of, say, relying on fad diets that are deficient in many essential nutrients, then attempting to make up for it by taking supplements)?

Or if you really want to be absolutely sure you're getting enough, generic supplements can be obtained for way less money -- they're just lysine plus zinc and vitamin C.

Out of curiosity, I also clicked through to their page of links to "studies" of their product. The first three were authored or co-authored by an employee (founder? sole proprietor?) of the company. I did not bother going any further.

Edit: Here is an interesting link, based in part on an interview with Dr. Burd, the inventor of Lysulin. Burd seems legit (he's been in the diabetes management field for a while in the medical device field), and seems to sincerely believe in his product. Basically admits that he added the zinc and vitamin C to create his "proprietary" formula because there wasn't any money to be made in selling just another "me too" OTC lysine supplement. The one study done (so far) of Lysulin yielded generally positive results, but wasn't large enough to form any firm clinical conclusions. My comments above stand.

At least it seems to fall into the "might actually help, unlikely to cause harm" category, unless you count over-paying for nutritional supplements you probably don't need in the "harm" category.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 am

https://imgur.com/a/YIn5iAM

It seems the rice diet did wonders for my friend. He is officially not a diabetic anymore. All he had to do was 15 days of strict rice diet, then next 10 weeks, he ate whatever he wanted, except for deep fried stuff or anything with too much oil. He ate fruits and vegetables, chicken and gave up wheat completely, instead eating bread made from barley. He also never needed to take a single pharma pill for controlling his glucose levels. But if your glucose levels get dangerously high in the first few days of the rice diet, you can use Berberine 500mg which has the benefit of not crashing your glucose levels. Just remember that if you want to try this, get a good multi-vitamin like the NOW Daily Vits so you don't miss out on any essential nutrients. Rest is up to God. May the fat NOT be with you!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:36 pm

You have no idea whatsoever about how to do a proper double-blind study, do you.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Local man does this one weird trick, DESTROYS Type 2 Diabetes in 15 days (doctors hate him!)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Good grief. It's bad enough we have that idiot in the EV thread trying to convert us all to their religion. We don't need another one!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm

The Egg wrote:
Local man does this one weird trick, DESTROYS Type 2 Diabetes in 15 days (doctors hate him!)

Unfortunately, this about where the front page is headed... :cry:

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 pm

I am not forcing anyone. Nor do I benefit in any way from relating my friend's improved condition. If, however, there is one among you truly desperate or determined to fight diabetes and attack its core, you know what to do. We have become accustomed to terrible news and crappy healthcare so much that when we hear about someone's miraculous recovery from a debilitating condition, all we can do is shake our collective heads in disbelief. "Surely, it can't be true. This guy IS lying." I would have been one such bloke, except this happened to my friend and he is my one and only best friend and I can't for the life of me imagine why he would concoct something like a doctored medical report. In my worst nightmares, I can't imagine any malice from him. He is just THAT good a person and I am overjoyed that he is finally symptom free.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm

It's not about what I believe, dude. Ironically with what we're learning about the microbiome we do seem to be heading in a direction where there's precedent for saying that a diet which "works" for one person may not work for another. However, there are limits.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm

you know what to do

Yeah. See a doctor and ignore the credulous fool on some random Internet forum.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm

bthylafh wrote:
you know what to do

Yeah. See a doctor and ignore the credulous fool on some random Internet forum.

I’m going to jump in here for (hopefully) a half second. Also, I’m not defending or agreeing with a diabetes diet that begins with eating a bunch of rice.

However, from personal experience with several doctors and type 2 diabetes myself I will tell you that all of the doctors I have talked to attempt to treat T2D very wrong. The standard treatment of raising insulin helps in the (very) short term and kills you in the long term. It makes the situation worse.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Being diagnosed with a condition doesn't automatically make you an expert on said condition. You may have initially had some bad experiences, but I still doubt anyone here has the education or qualifications to say "all the doctors are wrong" about anything, regardless if they or their "friend" has it.

Hopefully no one here is dumb enough to discard real medical advice and their doctor's direction, and follow some whizz-bang crap about rice from an internet forum.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:53 pm

The Egg wrote:
Being diagnosed with a condition doesn't automatically make you an expert on said condition. You may have initially had some bad experiences, but I still doubt anyone here has the education or qualifications to say "all the doctors are wrong" about anything, regardless if they or their "friend" has it.

Hopefully no one here is dumb enough to discard real medical advice and their doctor's direction, and follow some whizz-bang crap about rice from an internet forum.

I never meant to imply that I am an expert but not being an expert doesn’t make me wrong either.

Most doctors try and “treat” T2D with more insulin. This end up killing you. Insulin, or more accurately hyperinsulinemia, IS the problem with T2D, not the cure.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:54 pm

You would hope, but I'm not so sure. I was thinking the other day about how I was asked once many years ago now if I plagiarized an analogy in something I wrote about CPU caches. Obviously it was a technical forum(long since dead and gone), but the audience wasn't what you'd call a group of academics. It was just some random dude on a forum who wanted to know if all of that was for real. I can't imagine that happening today.