Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Need new tires

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:06 am

My Subaru WRX has four Continental PureContact tires that need replacing, and believe it or not there aren’t a lot of places to find reviews of tires, at least independent ones. I’m primarily concerned with traction. When I hit the brakes I want to stop as quickly as possible. I want to keep traction in the rain and, to a lesser degree of importance, snow. Comfort and quiet are nice, but secondary.

I got a couple recommendations for Sumimoto’s HTR AS P02, but best I can tell the tires are mid range when it comes to traction. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any recommendations of your own?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Need new tires

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 am

As opposed to the American automotive press, who only seem to do a small tire test every five years or so, the European press runs tests all the time. Be aware though that some tire models sold here may be completely different from what is sold over there despite sharing the same model name.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:44 am

I'm not saying there's no difference between braking differences and brands because clearly there is, but those differences are negligible compared to the hardness of the rubber compound, which itself is negligible to having having the right tread pattern for the season/terrain and the correct pressures for the laden weight.

If you want grip and braking distance improvements, you need to go for softer tires instead of the eco tires. The softer compound means higher fuel consumption and faster tire wear, the eco tires compromise grip and for lower rolling resistance and longer life.

Decide if you can afford the fuel costs and more regular tire replacements, and then just buy a softer compound from any major tire manufacturer. It doesn't really matter which manufacturer. A low-budget Kenda/Khumo soft tire will grip better than the most expensive Michelin or Continental hard-compound eco tire - it's just physics.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:29 am

Tire Rack (tirerack.com) tests a whole lot of tires. Their standard test format will be four tires in one of Tire Rack's self-assigned use categories.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:58 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Tire Rack (tirerack.com) tests a whole lot of tires. Their standard test format will be four tires in one of Tire Rack's self-assigned use categories.

Yeah, but how much can you trust anyone who’s trying to sell you something? :wink:
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

castdude
Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 am

Having driven multiple Subaru's (Three different Legacy's followed by a Tribeca) over a fifteen year period of time, I will add my two cents. Living in a mountainous region with twisty roads, sometimes impassable snow (for the other non-subaru folks :wink: ), and my personal favorite, black ice, the most important question goes to what is your personal usage situation, and what is your budget. The best situation by far if you have bad winters is to have a set of dedicated summer tires and a set of dedicated winter tires, which with the Legacy's gave me the best driving experience in all conditions. Other than the cost of another set of rims, the overall tire cost will be about the same over a given period of time, and you can always sell the extra rims for likely a minimal loss (find a good used set for the winter tires) if you later get rid of the vehicle. I would also point you to websites such as https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2884140, as you can take advantage of the acquired knowledge of people with similar vehicles in similar climates who have the same questions and have actually purchased their tires based on multiple recommendations, and who have then given feedback on their purchases. To me, that is the main benefit of a place like Tech Report, as the user forums here in general are a source of vast collected knowledge and personal experience to draw on. In my case, as in most others, since I usually have more time than money, I will research something for several weeks before I finally make a purchase. Invariably, the minute you make such a commitment with your hard earned cash, something new and better and less expensive will show up a week later, as buyer's remorse is not exclusive to the computer world. :cry:

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 am

Question 1: do you want a single set of tires, or can you purchase and manage two sets? Summer tires are designed to have the right level of "softness" in warm conditions and will work well in wet and dry conditions (in warm weather). They'll get harder in cold weather, though, and they won't have good traction in snow. Winter tires are designed to stay rubbery when it gets cold, and they have features to maintain grip in snow.

All season tires will do "okay" in warm, wet, and snowy conditions, but they will not perform as well as summer and winter tires when compared to proper conditions. If you are really, really concerned about braking distance AND need to navigate snow during the year, two sets is the way to go.

Question 2: offroading? I couldn't tell you what you would need for this, but if you were trying to drive offload regularly, that would probably change the equation as well.

Just as a funny/interesting addition, Jason over at Engineering Explained ran his own 60-0 braking tests on winter and summer tires in cold (below freezing) conditions to see if they made a difference. It's a good watch if you get a chance.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:59 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Yeah, but how much can you trust anyone who’s trying to sell you something? :wink:

Enough for me to keep buying from them, anyway.
Meow.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am

LostCat wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

All I can say is that they've yet to lead me wrong and I've been buying from them since before e-commerce.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

Goty
Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

If they were doing reviews of single tires instead of comparisons between different makes and models of tire, you might have a point with that. Also, their tests are a combination of anecdotal reports (things like road noise and ride comfort) along with instrumented tests (stopping distance, skid pad performance, etc.), making it harder to push a particular product just because they're trying to sell it to you.

After all of that, I think you should look at the Vredestein Quatrac 5 (assuming it comes in the size you need.) It's a "Three Mountain Peak Snowflake" tire, meaning its cold/snow performance should be better than your typical all-season, it's relatively cheap, and I recall hearing good things from owners of the tire on other forums.

mattshwink
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 am

Captain Ned wrote:
LostCat wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

All I can say is that they've yet to lead me wrong and I've been buying from them since before e-commerce.

Wholeheartedly agree. I've been using them for a while and have yet to steer me wrong. I love their reviews and rating and service. They have a whole host of trusted installers that they will ship to (or direct to you). When I got tires last year, I had then ship to a mobile installer (ASAP Tire). Came right to the house with my tires and installed (and then disposed of the old tires). They will also come to your office and do it there.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
LostCat wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Yup. I've bought 4 sets of well-reviewed tires from them and I have no complaints, plus it was a *ton* cheaper than buying through the local tire shop. I need only have them shipped to the nearest Firestone dealership and schedule an appointment once they're in.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

I buy whatever is cheapest for the mileage at the local Sam’s. I like their road-warranty policy and they have locations nationwide for when we’re on road-trips.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 pm

superjawes wrote:
Question 1: do you want a single set of tires, or can you purchase and manage two sets? Summer tires are designed to have the right level of "softness" in warm conditions and will work well in wet and dry conditions (in warm weather). They'll get harder in cold weather, though, and they won't have good traction in snow. Winter tires are designed to stay rubbery when it gets cold, and they have features to maintain grip in snow.

All season tires will do "okay" in warm, wet, and snowy conditions, but they will not perform as well as summer and winter tires when compared to proper conditions. If you are really, really concerned about braking distance AND need to navigate snow during the year, two sets is the way to go.

Question 2: offroading? I couldn't tell you what you would need for this, but if you were trying to drive offload regularly, that would probably change the equation as well.

Just as a funny/interesting addition, Jason over at Engineering Explained ran his own 60-0 braking tests on winter and summer tires in cold (below freezing) conditions to see if they made a difference. It's a good watch if you get a chance.

Need answers to the 2 questions above to really narrow down on choices. Based on the Sumitomo that you are looking and that you are putting them on a WRX, I am going to assume that you are leaning towards the performance side of things. Then a no brainer would be the performance Michelins. Since you are "looking", I would assume you do have a budget that cannot accommodate the Pilot Sport. I have used Continental DWS in the past and they were pretty good. The answer changes if your are looking more on the "eco" side.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.