Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Hananod
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

The roof needs a repair

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 am

Some friends of mine practically gave their lovely house away to a French couple late last year, the purchasers are now claiming that the roof needs a £15,000 repair, how should they proceed in this matter? as far as they were aware there was no problem.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: The roof needs a repair

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:10 am

No idea how it works in Europe. Your friends should speak to a lawyer where the property is (which is, I think, the proper jurisdiction).

Having said that, in the U.S. there are disclosure requirements that involve known structural problems. Buyers routinely pay for inspections on homes before buying. We did that, and it didn't catch stuff that went wrong a year later, but that's not the previous owner's fault.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 am

I was going to say something similar. Stateside, it's SOP to get the property inspected prior to finalizing a home purchase. It's meant to catch things like this to protect the new owners(/would-be owners).

And of course IANAL, but from a few quick searches it looks like there should have been an inspection (survey) as part of the purchase process (England and Wales is the jurisdiction). If a bad roof was missed by the buyer's lender/surveyor/solicitor, caveat emptor. Sure, knowing that the roof needed repair might have changed the buyers' offer, but that's why inspections/surveys are conducted.

AND at some point the new owners have to accept that owning a home means they are responsible for repairs and routine maintenance.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:37 am

Ask a lawyer, not randos on some forum.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x