Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Mass Transit Safety

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
As it is, I'm typically more concerned with hygiene (i.e., sitting in a "wet seat") or bringing home bugs (probably my biggest fear).

You're probably more likely to "bring home bugs" from a hotel stay...

I've read horror stories about people bringing them home from buses and stuff. I never claimed I was being rational about it. :wink: It's not like I immediately throw all my clothes in the laundry after the few times I ride the train each year. *laughs nervously and looks around*
I uh.......I have a friend who does that.

JBI wrote:
The vast majority of mass transit related deaths around here seem to be either people being monumentally stupid (running/driving around gates at a grade crossing as a train approaches, or walking along the tracks while wearing headphones), and intentional "suicide by train" incidents.

My driving instructor in HS was (or was retired from being) a freight locomotive engineer. He would tell us about how badly some of the other engineers were affected after hitting people; sometimes looking directly into their eyes while hitting their vehicles, and not being able to do anything about it. They would typically get time off after an incident, and nearly all of them were in therapy.

Suicide by train is not only a terrible way to go (I'm sure there's a few moments of consciousness while you're being mangled), it's also extremely selfish, IMO.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Mass Transit Safety

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:34 am

About 10 years ago the CEO of Metra committed suicide by Metra train, believe it or not. Was under investigation for embezzling funds. Walked out on to the tracks, stood between the rails facing the train, and looked at it as it mowed him down.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07/illino ... index.html
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.