Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Something's different...

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 pm

leor wrote:
I understand the need to focus on ROI.
Maybe the amateur web designer that flubbed the front page conversion works really really, REALLY cheaply. :lol:
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

cygnus1
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:59 pm

drfish wrote:
Here's the thing everyone: I'm no Lovecraft expert, but I think the analogy to draw is that we're dealing creatures that are barely aware of our existence. Fortunately, they're actually human, and they can be reasoned with, but we're starting from scratch and an abundance of patience will be required.No one intentionally screws up this badly, they just didn't know any better and those that did were shocked to find out they didn't.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm

drfish wrote:
Waco wrote:
One more thing for the list of stuff to fix - the thumbs up/down buttons seem to allow infinite votes if you refresh the page.

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce that.

It did for me for a while but I can't anymore.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kloreep
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm

(All URLs removed from this post because the forum says I do not yet have the ability to post links :( )

Re: RSS, there are working feeds such as at --removed--

However, some issues with it and the transition:
  • I do not see RSS advertised on the site. One must look in the HTML source, or else use software that can look for you. Furthermore, to get feeds for particular categories, one has to look at the source on the right page or else they won't even be in the source. I think it would make sense to have an RSS button in "Follow Us," linking to a page breaking down RSS feeds for both the whole site and major categories.
  • These are different URLs than previously. For instance, I am subscribed to --removed-- from the old site but that's now a 404. That's why RSS would seem to be broken: the URLs have changed. Anyone who subscribed to RSS before the redesign will not be seeing any more updates for new articles like Sugar Cookie Day Shortbread or the site redesign article. If possible, perhaps put in redirects from the old site's feed URLs to new feed URLs, though I don't know how many RSS readers do or don't have the ability to handle redirects.

Rand
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm

drfish wrote:
Here's the thing everyone: I'm no Lovecraft expert, but I think the analogy to draw is that we're dealing creatures that are barely aware of our existence. Fortunately, they're actually human, and they can be reasoned with, but we're starting from scratch and an abundance of patience will be required.No one intentionally screws up this badly, they just didn't know any better and those that did were shocked to find out they didn't.

As long as they recognize what's here is screwed up. I'm wary that they don't think it is at all, after all they implemented it in the first place and apparently with very little communication with the staff.
Do they recognize that greater communication is needed?
Are they aware the design they've implemented is inadequate?

If both are yes, then this can be salvaged and it's optimistically just a rough transition before better times.
If either or both is a no....

Smeghead
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Beyond lamenting the decision to remove the drop-down for navigation (I'm another that used to really appreciate the headings) the current jumble of numbers for pages within an article is essentially unusable on a tablet.

Say I'm on page 5 of a review I'm reading on an ipad. The chances of successfully navigating to page 6 to continue reading without first zooming to some obscene level are next to zero. The links are all way too close together and way too small, and attempting to stab at a tiny '6' with a finger at the default zoom level I was reading at is effectively a random page selector at this point. Not fun.

Prev/next page links should be pretty much mandatory on lists like this, and need to be set far enough away from '1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9' to stand out. Hell, even on a desktop with a mouse, smashing 'next' is a lot simpler than having to parse the set of links to figure out that the current page (not highlighted in any way, just rendered as not-a-link) is page 5, then figure out where to click for page 6. You just mouse to the 'next' link which is roughly in the same position each time you get to the end of the current page's content.

After all, if I'm reading a book, I don't really need to first parse that I'm currently on page 213 in order to get to page 214; I just turn to the next page.

kloreep
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

General thoughts on the change:

I can totally understand the need to move away from a bespoke CMS. While there are many details that went wrong, it's still the right direction to go in and I'm glad y'all are trying to make it work.

Obviously said details are concerning. The new site was launched unready and half-baked. Most of all the lack of communication with editorial staff bodes very poorly, as does the corp-speak article finally posted about the change that communicates little understanding of the Tech Report's identity and vibe. The one thing that does bode well here is that Dr. Fish at least seems to have free rein to talk about it here in the forums - though how much that was granted to him and how much he's simply taken the liberty I don't know.

Compared to some of the vitriol, I guess I have a relatively positive view of the new site design. In the year of our lord 2019, a site should be responsive for goodness' sake. I think it's mostly fine, just obviously not quite ready for prime time. The gripes I have:
  • Biggest one: I agree with previous comments that the article I am reading needs to be better sectioned off from "hey try reading this other stuff" sections. In general, the different parts of an article page bleed together too much and I find it an unpleasantly conscious effort to distinguish the sections of the page from one another.
  • While I think the width is fine for freeform text paragraphs - many designers will tell you ~100 characters per line like you have is a good call - it feels cramped and a little ludicrous for the entire content column to be restricted to that size, especially on my good ol 1440p monitor. I would say, add at least one more breakpoint that allows the content column as a whole to expand, even if you likely then restrict all the individual paragraphs to the current max width. This would give more room for large images and tables.
  • Table layout needs some love. Just look at e.g. "Revisiting the Radeon VII and RTX 2080 at 2560×1440." I know table styles are not easy, though, and I'm sure this would more of a long term item than anything that can be addressed in the short term.

And lastly, Zak's excellent Ryzen review absolutely needs to be at the top. Not just of the review section, of the home page.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm

An open letter to our new owners and managers:

I understand the need for the UI and hosting change from the financial perspective and will not argue same here. The financial woes are not a new issue. I first heard of them at BBQ IX (2012), when Eitje used JBI's potent homebrew to get Scott/Damage talking about the subscription program (I would have learned more, but Gleek was in the other ear). At a later BBQ (XIV or XV) I was involved in a conversation where Jeff Kampman and Adam Eiberger had to make a difficult editorial decision on a new part because the supply of the part was conditioned on certain language appearing in the review. At that same BBQ Adam openly wished for a "sugar daddy" so as to avoid editorial compromise. I get the numbers

The fact that in a month's time there will be the sixteenth annual gathering of a large flock of geeks simply because they love a particular website demonstrates the sizeable intangible value associated with the TR property. Most of us at BBQ are contributors, long-time moderators or, more likely, both. We're the core that kept this place alive during the REALLY lean years. I'm not sure you understand the love this core group has for TR and its desire to ensure that TR continues.

I know you have no such duty, but attendance at BBQ XVI and a willingness to discuss the details (I'll take the potato cannon to those who simply want to bitch about the UI) will go a very long way to ensuring your core support group remains with you.

Captain Ned
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

Yan
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 pm

drfish wrote:
I'm no Lovecraft expert, but I think the analogy to draw is that we're dealing creatures that are barely aware of our existence. Fortunately, they're actually human, and they can be reasoned with

Wouldn't the new owners, if they can be reasoned with, revert to two days ago and only launch the new format when it's actually ready?

I mean, nobody wants their new web site to be full of comments saying "THIS SITE NOW SUX!", right?

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm really trying to stay hopeful about this, but it's getting tougher with almost every event or new piece of information (the big exception being the Zen 2 review, THANK YOU ZAK!).

The social media bots sound (I don't do social media, haven't seen them myself) like they're designed to be followed by bots, not humans. The new site looks like it's designed to be read by bots, not humans. The timing of the new site's rollout implies that humans are irrelevant and the bots are all that matter. The post on the front page that's supposed to explain why the hell humans should care about TR despite all this looks like it's designed to be read by bots, not humans. John Rampton's own internet presence looks like it's designed for bots, not humans. It'd be fine if we were talking minor tweaks here, but all of this stuff is blatantly human-unfriendly.

If the botched rollout of the new site were strictly a technical problem in one way or another, I'd just hope some lessons were learned and move on. If it were a common everyday miscommunication, same deal, it happens. Permanently pushing something that should still be in alpha to production without having talked to the boots on the ground about it in multiple months is not a common everyday miscommunication; too many opportunities for someone to actually care have to have been passed up. The message I get from that is a loud and clear "we don't give a f*** about the existing readers or writers".

Xolore
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Much has been said already it seems...no sense repeating stuff, but for what it's worth when the site change hit on Sunday when I saw TR turn into a painfully generic wordpress site I just took it into my own hands by grabbing a stylish plugin and starting to pop in some personal css here and there to make adjustments as I saw fit while using the site. It's looking better for me personally at least. A painfully generic site can be reasonably malleable.

Perhaps when I get some more kinks worked out I'll share my personal custom css if people would like, though my patchwork approach means my code is admittedly big mess to look at. At least my version of TR is still blue. I'm hoping this won't be a long term solution though.

EzioAs
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Don't see it on the bug list or request list but I'd like to request you guys change the Hardware menu popup in the header from click to popup instead of hover.
Intel Core i5-3570K | MSI Z77A-GD65 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

torquer
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 pm

I've been calling it for over 2 years or so now. TR wasn't making money. It had to make money to survive. The cageyness about "they" and "new owners" and whoever this Renee person is just makes it all worse. And everyone trying to make sense of it all is plowing through the 5 stages of grief. I have loved TR for many, many years through many jobs and many moves and my days working night shifts when I read literally every single article multiple times just to stay awake.

The slow downward path started when Scott left. The writing was on the wall and he knew it. The well intentioned few gave it a hell of a try to keep it going, but in the end the market is what the market is. Tech websites are done for. Its YouTube or nothing. Its a sad state of affairs but its time to move on. Personally I'd rather leave before the *really* depressing end. Kinda wish I'd left before whatever *this* is happened.

No hard feelings and many happy memories. Props to everyone to tried to keep the old gal afloat in rough seas
-------------------------------------------------------
i have a computer.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Ooh, that's a new one! Permanently banned from this board by IP address!

I'll assume that's a Wordpress screwup but I'll check my original IP in the morning, just in case I need to post details.

I do find it amusing that Wordpress thinks IP bans are relevant in this decade though. That made me chuckle :)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm

torquer wrote:
I've been calling it for over 2 years or so now. TR wasn't making money. It had to make money to survive. The cageyness about "they" and "new owners" and whoever this Renee person is just makes it all worse. And everyone trying to make sense of it all is plowing through the 5 stages of grief. I have loved TR for many, many years through many jobs and many moves and my days working night shifts when I read literally every single article multiple times just to stay awake.

The slow downward path started when Scott left. The writing was on the wall and he knew it. The well intentioned few gave it a hell of a try to keep it going, but in the end the market is what the market is. Tech websites are done for. Its YouTube or nothing. Its a sad state of affairs but its time to move on. Personally I'd rather leave before the *really* depressing end. Kinda wish I'd left before whatever *this* is happened.

No hard feelings and many happy memories. Props to everyone to tried to keep the old gal afloat in rough seas

Well maybe yes and no. I'm old enough to have had enough things taken away from me (I was a big fan of the Boomer and Carton show in NY), that I'm kinda tired of it. These folks coming in have invested a lot of time and money to keep TR alive, and either they will see a profit from it or they won't. Either they recognize us as a community and respond appropriately or they won't. Personally I'm willing to give them a month or 3 to find out given I've been hanging around for the last 20 years or so ;-)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 pm

The funny thing about SEO is that everyone talks about it like it's supposed to deterministic at least in part, and that it's supposed to have rules which have consequences. It certainly could be like that, but in my experience it's not. I've found it extraordinarily rare for an organization to back up their decisions in the field of SEO with data that's unambiguous. At best it's a kind of proto-science that advances blindly without any real methodology behind it, and having "good SEO" is not the same as having good content. W3schools routinely tops of the list when I'm googling for reference material, and that place has a well deserved reputation for being a terrible reference.

Obviously I'm not a fan, but redesigns that happen shortly after an acquisition are not at all uncommon, and if SEO is the reason they choose for that, then so be it. I suppose it doesn't matter if this turns out to be a temporary blip on what's otherwise a positive development. Time will tell.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Ooh, that's a new one! Permanently banned from this board by IP address!

I'll assume that's a Wordpress screwup but I'll check my original IP in the morning, just in case I need to post details.

I do find it amusing that Wordpress thinks IP bans are relevant in this decade though. That made me chuckle :)

There have been random "IP ban" glitches since the changeover. I was "banned" for several hours. I thought the problem had been resolved, but apparently there are still some sporadic issues. More fallout from the hosting changeover, I guess.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bot
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Long time reader first time poster. As a daily reader of the site (at least M-F at lunch) it's an understatement to say I really miss the old site and comment system.

I have read all the comments in this thread and so far and am reminded of how close this group is, how much of a community has been built on this site, of how much gerbils care about this corner of the internet where we hand out. I respect and am envious of the glass half full view of some have and of the constant post by drfish, without which I would not have any inclines of a positive outcome.
I hope that the kinks will get worked out and the site will become usable.
I hope that the new owners will provide some communication about the changes and share some future plans for the site.
More than any other site, I want this ship to wright itself and sail on.
And if not, I hope that the staff of TR with their talent can easily find a place to land on their feet and enrich another community with their presence.

But I can't stick around for that journey, I am not as resilient or optimistic as others. The way this was handled and the changes made are too much, I have to look away for a while. I will break by daily visit habit and perchance check back again someday. Godspeed gerbils.

firewired
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 pm

It tears me apart to say this, but... I AM OUT.

I will not be visiting the site again after this post.

I can take a misstep here and there, that is only human.

But when changes to an independent website's ownership are made without notice, followed by a colossal, epic failure of change management, only to then find out from a forum post that the ownership had previously changed, I have to draw the line.

It pains me to think that all of Scott's hard work over the years has fallen into... this.

I have lurked here since the site's inception, rarely posting but visiting daily. I yearn for the days when a review would be posted by Scott or Geoff. There have been a few articles since that warranted a positive comment, but those were few and very, very far between, though I do appreciate the effort of everyone to keep things alive and running. Believe me, I know it is very hard work for very little return on time invested.

But when I come to TR's front page and see a blog post by an unknown individual claiming a new direction for the site, and then find forum posts indicating that site ownership changed months previous without notice... I AM OUT.

If I cannot trust the sources of independent tech news to be honest and up-front with their readers, then I simply cannot trust the platform they publish on.

All credibility is shredded.

I do wish everyone here well, but I simply cannot respect the process of these changes nor those running that process. If the site becomes a greater success, I will be pleased for those putting in the hard work to make it happen. But I simply cannot condone or endorse this behavior by continuing to visit.

Integrity is far more important than content. If you do not stand for anything, you fall for everything.

Fare thee well.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Guys, tr will be fine. Because if it wasn't WHO WOULD I GO TO FILL MY CONSTANT NEED FOR ATTENTION?

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 pm

drfish wrote:

I’m trying to hold out hope because I love TR, and clearly there are people here who care, like fish, derfunk, and Zak who wrote the most AMAZING article.

But it’s been a few days now and the only communication we have from the new staff is that generic, jargon-filled blog post. The site is also going in a different direction, which is obvious from the mission goals in that generic blog post that sound nothing like the way things are written around here. This is clearly more than a facelift to make the site more bot-friendly.

What it seems like is that the site was doing poorly, so these two entrepreneurs decided to take an established brand name and commoditize it. They either don’t know what TR’s assets are or don’t care, but either way they’ve had a few months to figure things out, and the the things they’ve done and the way they’ve done them indicate that whether it’s ignorance or stupidity, or even purposeful, the way forward will be a clean break from the past.

Based on all this I think the current writing staff will last just long enough for the new owners to fill the ranks with pay-per-word authors.

All these changes may be the only way to make the site profitable, but TR has so much more capital than can be expressed monetarily. A far better alternative than scuttling the integrity and originality of the site for a little profit (because let’s face it, there probably isn’t much profit to be had from sites like this) would look like so: for a relative pittance the site could remain as a forum and home page that had regular fun updates and the occasional bigger article. An enthusiast project, if you will, kept alive by the community and for the community. I wonder how much TR was worth in its last state to the new owners.

The biggest shame of all is what will happen to the community. TR has been my home online for two decades. That’s because the mission and style of the site was different and more mature than the rest of the web, and the people it attracted were likewise more mature than your average internet user. It made coming here great fun and while I never made it to any of the BBQs I still feel a certain degree of familiarity with the community. I’ve learned so much and had such a good time here. What will I do when I need more original trance music or want a jolly musing about home brewing? Or any of the numerous <day job> comments that came from the gerbils who jovially share their experiences? Or want to see the latest update on model planes? Or learn about computer tech from a truly independent site that cares about truth and honesty?

In my experience when the higher-ups seem to either not know or care about what’s going on, which one it is doesn’t matter. Either spells doom. I hope I’m wrong about this and am not ready to give up just yet. Maybe this is all just one big misunderstanding, and the new owners are really on the right track and we’re all in for a pleasant surprise. I’m willing to be wrong about my assessment and I’ll be happy if I am.

If things do fall off it’ll be a shame the lose this community.

I encourage the new owners to come and learn about what they have and nourish it. We all want the site to succeed, but if we change too drastically the things that bring us all together, we will cease to be what we are.

tl;dr: this doesn’t look good. What reason is there for optimism? Can we all still keep in touch?
Last edited by FireGryphon on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
Guys, tr will be fine. Because if it wasn't WHO WOULD I GO TO FILL MY CONSTANT NEED FOR ATTENTION?

WE ALL <3 YOU SSK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU&t=107s
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Rand
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 pm

sweatshopking wrote:

The employees\slaves in your sweat shop?
You are the sweatshopking after all.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
drfish wrote:

I’m trying to hold out hope because I love TR, and clearly there are people here who care, like fish, derfunk, and Zak who wrote the most AMAZING article.

But it’s been a few days now and the only communication we have from the new staff is that generic, jargon-filled blog post. The site is also going in a different direction, which is obvious from the mission goals in that generic blog post that sound nothing like the way things are written around here. This is clearly more than a facelift to make the site more bot-friendly.

What it seems like is that the site was doing poorly, so these two entrepreneurs decided to take an established brand name and commoditize it. They either don’t know what TR’s assets are or don’t care, but either way they’ve had a few months to figure things out, and the the things they’ve done and the way they’ve done them indicate that whether it’s ignorance or stupidity, or even purposeful, the way forward will be a clean break from the past.

Based on all this I think the current writing staff will last just long enough for the new owners to fill the ranks with pay-per-word authors.

All these changes may be the only way to make the site profitable, but TR has so much more capital than can be expressed monetarily. A far better alternative than scuttling the integrity and originality of the site for a little profit (because let’s face it, there probably isn’t much profit to be had from sites like this) would look like so: for a relative pittance the site could remain as a forum and home page that had regular fun updates and the occasional bigger article. An enthusiast project, if you will, kept alive by the community and for the community. I wonder how much TR was worth in its last state to the new owners.

The biggest shame of all is what will happen to the community. TR has been my home online for two decades. That’s because the mission and style of the site was different and more mature than the rest of the web, and the people it attracted were likewise more mature than your average internet user. It made coming here great fun and while I never made it to any of the BBQs I still feel a certain degree of familiarity with the community. I’ve learned so much and had such a good time here. What will I do when I need more original trance music or want a jolly musing about home brewing? Or any of the numerous <day job> comments that came from the gerbils who jovially share their experiences? Or want to see the latest update on model planes? Or learn about computer tech from a truly independent site that cares about truth and honesty?

In my experience when the higher-ups seem to either not know or care about what’s going on, which one it is doesn’t matter. Either spells doom. I hope I’m wrong about this and am not ready to give up just yet. Maybe this is all just one big misunderstanding, and the new owners are really on the right track and we’re all in for a pleasant surprise. I’m willing to be wrong about my assessment and I’ll be happy if I am.

If things do fall off it’ll be a shame the lose this community.

I encourage the new owners to come and learn about what they have and nourish it. We all want the site to succeed, but if we change too drastically the things that bring us all together, we will cease to be what we are.

tl;dr: this doesn’t look good. What reason is there for optimism? Can we all still keep in touch?

Look at it like this: if this goes south there's nothing stopping us from creating our own community. Let's give this a chance and if it truly goes down like people are saying, building a wordpress site with a functional forum really ain't all that hard ;-)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Looks like Sent/Saved PM history has been wiped. Any chance of getting those back?

Never mind... either a temporary glitch or a brain fart on my part.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:14 am

Wow. The new comments are the worst thing ever. If you see my total posts, if counted, you see I have very few outside the front page postings. I really enjoy the TR community and I still nee saddened to watch it go.

After a post has a reply or two, the text column for comments is two words wide before creating a new line. After that, the comments are completely cut off. I don't understand how a comment system that is utterly unusable to carry on a discussion was chosen.

Please add a Disqus section like many sites or why but use what we had before that worked very well.

I really enjoy the community here and don't want to lose all my bros and all the people I've had the pleasure to troll over the years.

This site needs some milk. How can we make this happen?

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:21 am

torquer wrote:

Man, you're making me feel depressed. I agree with everything you said.

Starfalcon
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
torquer wrote:

Man, you're making me feel depressed. I agree with everything you said.

Yeah I came here today with a heavy heart, and see the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. Well at least we will be able to toast the old girl before she goes under at the TR BBQ, Ill be sure to raise a glass in honor of what was built here, and for a time was a magical place. You were a great lady TR.

rechicero
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 am

After reading the thing (can't call it an article, or a news, or even a "Hi there post") from Renee Johnson my first reaction was going to my "daily must" page and delete TR.

But I'm not going to do it. Yet.

Yes, that woman is delusional and could be a corporate bot instead of a real human being. All we know is... well, let's say they didn't give us reasons to be optimistic. The new design is just rubbish. That's true. And now my biggest regret is not knowing the situation and subscribe to help keeping this afloat :(

But I will stay, for the time being, and for one reason only: The real editorial staff. You deserve not to be alone through this.

Thanks a lot for being there for so much time. Thanks Scott, thanks Geoff, thanks Cyril, thanks "TechReport: The New Generation", thanks to the guys I don't remember right now.

Thanks to the community too. When the news where just not there, the comments were always worth to read.

I understand this is probably the end. But... we'll see. Maybe this new ppl have more brains that this Renee woman is proving to have. If they don't... it's going to be a sad rest of the century without you.

But be proud of what you created guys! Everything has an end, but not everything last for decades. And you did it. GREAT JOB!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 am

https://www.johnrampton.com/about/

Woah. Can't help admiring his sheer tenacity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnhall/

Owner No.2 doesn't seem bad either. TR might just survive and thrive after all.