Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Re: Something's different...

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 am

rechicero wrote:
And now my biggest regret is not knowing the situation and subscribe to help keeping this afloat :(

I suppose many gerbils are in this boat. I feel like I’m subscribed to a site that I didn’t know. I feel duped.

The new management lurked for a while before making its move, and none of us even knew that the site changed hands. The fact that this changing of the guard was secret, especially compared to all the other times, makes it seem that much more sinister.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 am

Here is what I tried to post up on the comments of "article" about the new website. It's awaiting moderation, which I suspect will not approve. So here it is.

You have completely, and utterly.... F@&$ed up the website I've called home for nearly 2 decades.

I don't even know how it is possible for anyone to so efficiently destroy the essence of what was once a thriving community of self respecting nerds. Starved for information overload in any form, sometimes simplified by a price/performance plot chart. Instead, you've reduced articles to the likes of Windows 8 style charms for a taste of familarity to social media platforms in hopes of attracting a generation incapable of maintaining interest in a topic, person, place, or thing for more than what is measurable in seconds. I suppose the next thing coming for polls will be two pictures with a swipe left or right element. God forbid we make them spend some time thinking beyond their initial impulse.

This irreverent decision to change TR to whatever it is you call it now, simply pisses in the face of the original TR staff, the TR regulars, and all who have frequented this site for so many years.

Today marks a most sad day for me to see the website/forums/community that single handedly was responsible for my interest in computers, and my guide to my profession of I.T..... dead.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
Please add a Disqus section like many sites

Not my idea of a good commenting system. Stored externally, less control (I suppose), privacy-breaching due to use across sites, not great UI, heavy (and incompatible with older browsers).

Starfalcon wrote:
You were a great lady TR.
Or maybe a dude?

rechicero wrote:
Maybe this new ppl have more brains that this Renee woman is proving to have.
What to write may be someone else's decision.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am

Welch wrote:
Here is what I tried to post up on the comments of "article" about the new website. It's awaiting moderation, which I suspect will not approve.

I am personally approving all front page posts. It's just an anti-spam thing, not censorship. Your future posts under the same account will automatically be approved. Sometimes I'm sleeping or driving, though, and I can't approve them right away. Currently, no one else on the team is approving posts, but no one's voice is being denied. Anyone is just as free to say anything they want as before, whether here in the forums or on the front page. That goes for you all as well the writers. In my case, remember, I've always been a volunteer and I still am. There's no leverage over me and no constraints except the ones I put on myself. I'm trying to mediate because I want what you want and I need to remain in a position to be a positive influence on our new owners. It's that simple.

FireGryphon wrote:
rechicero wrote:
And now my biggest regret is not knowing the situation and subscribe to help keeping this afloat :(

I suppose many gerbils are in this boat. I feel like I’m subscribed to a site that I didn’t know. I feel duped.

The new management lurked for a while before making its move, and none of us even knew that the site changed hands. The fact that this changing of the guard was secret, especially compared to all the other times, makes it seem that much more sinister.

FWIW, if we had any idea how big of a cluster the "transition" would be, I would stopped promoting subs instantly. I kept what I knew quiet out of respect for Adam and he was caught just as much by surprise on Sunday as the rest of us. How you feel is fully justified and I sincerely apologize for my role in putting you and others in that position.

Now, I've been doing damage control publicly and privately for getting close to 72 hours. I need to spend time on my day job today so I won't be around as much. I'll catch up when I can and I have a small post going up later today.
Last edited by drfish on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Something's different... (new)

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:34 am

drfish wrote:
I'm going to go procure some adult beverage while the dust settles. :x

Take heart man, people are reactionary in nature. We don't like change. I'm sure the core personas that make this site what it is will stick around, and that with folks like you on board, we'll get through this. I appreciate your contributions to site over the years and for what I suspect is nothing but the love of tech. Thank you, sincerely.

To the rest of you dog-piling on negative-train to nowhere, lets give the TR staff a few minutes to breathe, regroup, and shape the future of our community. If at the end of the day we still get the best reviews (In my very biased opinion) then I don't care what the site looks like. I'm sure they'll iron out the wrinkles in the coming weeks (hell, I don't even see any ads yet :lol:).

I think the biggest criticism about the relaunch is the timing; not a good look for how much time and effort Zak must have put into the new Ryzen reviews only to have it buried amidst all this change. If I can make a suggestion to those in charge, if you're serious about engaging and competing with other larger tech communities, you should consider posting on Reddit to subs like /r/amd, /r/intel, /r/buildapc, and similar. The traffic from those places would be huge and I feel like the type of folks subbed to those subreddits would devour the type of in-depth reviews that TR offers. If you consider sites like anandtech, ars, etc your competitors, know they are actively engaged in that very large online space.

Village
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 am

Sorry, I'm not fan of this new (old now?) style of web design that most websites seem to follow these days.. Give me back my old, text heavy, information loaded interface over this white space filled screen of useless real estate.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 am

cygnus1 wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
cygnus1 wrote:
drfish, need RSS back too

Wait, the RSS is broken? Damn. That's how I find out about new stories most of the time.

I believe it is. The last article in my feed is the CPU review, not the redesign announcement. It doesn't show as unreachable or inactive, so I'm thinking just broken.

Works for me at https://techreport.com/feed/ (I use TT-RSS)

esc_in_ks
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:13 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://www.johnrampton.com/about/

Woah. Can't help admiring his sheer tenacity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnhall/

Owner No.2 doesn't seem bad either. TR might just survive and thrive after all.

Take a look at John Hall's article titles:

• Work Keeping You Up At Night? 6 Ways to Ease Your Mind
  • Becoming Too Complacent in Your Role? 8 Ways to Challenge Yourself
  • 5 Time-Saving Technologies Your Company Needs to Use
  • Best Business Books for Summer 2019
  • 5 Open and Honest Conversations You Should have To Create Loyal Employees

Perhaps that kind of crap gets clicks, I don't know, but those kind of vapid articles certainly won't be appreciated by the average gerbil. If this is the editorial direction, then I can't see how anyone would care to visit.

Others have called it, it will be site built for bots and built to generate clicks with click-bait junk.
Home: PC-D600, Seasonic 850 Titanium, Apex X299, 7940X @ 4.1 GHz, H115i, 32G DDR4 3200, 960 Evo 1T+500G, 850 EVO 1T, GTX 1080, U3818+2x U2515h, Linux, Win10
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3014, Linux

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:20 am

esc_in_ks wrote:
Others have called it, it will be site built for bots and built to generate clicks with click-bait junk.

OR it could be TR-style articles and click-bait junk together in harmony to serve everyone's interests. Short of making TR an international brand through some marketing stroke of genius and selling millions of TR-branded merchandise, something like the current situation was bound to happen sooner or later. Just gotta wait and see how the future unfolds, for better or worse.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am

esc_in_ks wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Perhaps that kind of crap gets clicks, I don't know, but those kind of vapid articles certainly won't be appreciated by the average gerbil. If this is the editorial direction, then I can't see how anyone would care to visit.

I looked at both guys' sites and have no clue wtf they are about. They read like fake people created by some ai that doesn't know what human beings are. Both sites are void of content or information, and the one has numerous obvious grammatical issues. #EveryoneIsAnInfluencer #NoOneIsAnInfluencer

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 am

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 am

Acting like we "own" the site isn't gonna change the fact that "they" own the site. Let them do as they please. They didn't ask for our advice and I don't think they will care to listen to our concerns. Continued dissent might, however, convince them to heavily moderate these forums, or worse, shut them down and replace them with something noobs would be more comfy with, ending the one place we all enjoy frequenting.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:

Ha, no kidding.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 am

drfish wrote:
FWIW, if we had any idea how big of a cluster the "transition" would be, I would stopped promoting subs instantly. I kept what I knew quiet out of respect for Adam and he was caught just as much by surprise on Sunday as the rest of us. How you feel is fully justified and I sincerely apologize for my role in putting you and others in that position.

So, I resubscribed for gold on 25-June, having followed the discussion on the "don't tell me they got him too!" thread for a few months. I have no regrets in doing so. Yes, the change took me by surprise, and is worrying, but it is seriously early days. I'm viewing my subscription amount as an investment/hedge on a site I have enjoyed for years. I now have a year to see how things shape up, and to hope for the underlying excellence TR is known for to come back to the fore.

So, Fish, while I appreciate your willingness to apologize, I personally don't see a need for it, particularly when it was out of your control.

(And yeah, the reason I don't have a subscriber's badge beneath my name despite me saying I subscribed is because "something happened" during the cutover, but Adam has said he/someone will look into the matter)

rechicero
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 am

FireGryphon wrote:
rechicero wrote:

What I actually meant (sorry, not a native speaker) is actually the opposite. I wish I would have known how dire the situation was, and I would have subscribe to keep the ship afloat and help preventing this **** storm. I didn't as I mainly went to news.x and that's it. But I felt I could have done more :-(.

Of course, If I did and then I found this afterwards... that might be even worse! So I completely understand you.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am

Wow, new owners. It's clear TR needed something drastic to keep relevant. But it's still around simply because the community has kept it around. The community is the biggest asset this site has. To go through all of the changes recently without the slightest involvement of the community is a terrible sign.

Personally, I'm understanding of poor implementations. I've lived through them. But they could have helped manage expectations much better. If this is the way the owners are going to treat the community that kept their new investment alive all this time, then they might as well make it nice and sell it to Perch TH and Anand. I'm quite miffed. There's a lot of free human hours that have gone into this site over the years. It feels like this is just an investment opportunity. And that's the main point I'd like them to take away from this short rant. That perception of all of this just being an investment opportunity. I've supported TR because of the community. Because Adam, Zak, and Colton (and the rest of the regulars on the forums) are just nice people that I want to support. I can't say how much TR will be part of my daily traffic going forward if the reason I stop by multiple times daily goes, the community.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 am

Waco wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Ha, no kidding.

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

"Look, I have done this before. Many times. I have a checklist and everything!"
*Months Later*
"Just cut over. It'll be fine." Maybe it's just me being miffed, but this feels like a typical corporate takeover.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am

arunphilip wrote:
drfish wrote:

So, I resubscribed for gold on 25-June, having followed the discussion on the "don't tell me they got him too!" thread for a few months. I have no regrets in doing so. Yes, the change took me by surprise, and is worrying, but it is seriously early days. I'm viewing my subscription amount as an investment/hedge on a site I have enjoyed for years. I now have a year to see how things shape up, and to hope for the underlying excellence TR is known for to come back to the fore.

So, Fish, while I appreciate your willingness to apologize, I personally don't see a need for it, particularly when it was out of your control.

(And yeah, the reason I don't have a subscriber's badge beneath my name despite me saying I subscribed is because "something happened" during the cutover, but Adam has said he/someone will look into the matter)

Obviously it's not my call, but I'm lobbying for future subscription income to be used exclusively as a hardware purchasing fund. No predictions on how that will turn out yet, but hopefully it's an idea people like.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 am

drfish wrote:
Obviously it's not my call, but I'm lobbying for future subscription income to be used exclusively as a hardware purchasing fund. No predictions on how that will turn out yet, but hopefully it's an idea people like.

I like it a lot! You will miss out on NDA access, but it will no longer leave you at the mercy of vendors who hold back hardware just because they didn't like an earlier review. And timeliness of a TR review has never been a big concern for people here, has it? They/we prefer to wait for a solid article.

So, per your proposal, your corporate overlords will pay salaries and for the site upkeep, and will get ad revenue, but not subscribers $? Good luck in convincing them about that! Maybe make it such that subscribers are voting to choose/prioritize which hardware to review, so it makes the tie-up between subscriptions and hardware purchase that much tighter.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am

arunphilip wrote:
Maybe make it such that subscribers are voting to choose/prioritize which hardware to review, so it makes the tie-up between subscriptions and hardware purchase that much tighter.

Hear, hear!

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:11 am

Rand wrote:
arunphilip wrote:
I had re-subscribed on 21-Jun to extend my subscription through to 28-Jun-2020 (received an email confirming this as well), but I no longer see the badge next to my name in the forum. Likewise, https://techreport.com/subscriptions/ doesn't show my subscription information either.

I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence in timing, but this is something I noticed the same day the articles part of the site got the new look.

The page doesn't list my subscription amount either, nor even offer me the ability to subscribe. The sub badge is still present though. It's possible the entire subscription system was broken during the UI redesign and simply hadn't been looked at yet.
I see your sub badge but I don't see mine. Hmmmm. :(
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am

drfish wrote:
drfish wrote:

No worries, I believe this situation came as an unpleasant surprise. I am grateful for the time and effort you put into TR, same with derfunk, Zak, and the others who kept things going. You are in no way to blame for this, and I would have done he same thing as you guys did if I were in your shoes vis a vis being encouraging to the community and keeping mum about changes. That’s what a loyal ‘employee’ does, and it earns you respect in my book.

As important as TR is to all of us, please let’s not lose track of real life. Our families and livelihoods come first, so focus on that as you need to, Fish. Not worth disrupting life on account of someone else’s shenanigans. You and the team have my support.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

barich
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Anyone who calls themselves an "influencer" makes me want to vomit.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am

Waco wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Ha, no kidding.
Probably hired someone else to write it. It reads like a fluff piece.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

cygnus1
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am

roncat wrote:
cygnus1 wrote:
NTMBK wrote:

Wait, the RSS is broken? Damn. That's how I find out about new stories most of the time.

I believe it is. The last article in my feed is the CPU review, not the redesign announcement. It doesn't show as unreachable or inactive, so I'm thinking just broken.

Works for me at https://techreport.com/feed/ (I use TT-RSS)

That one does appear to work. The one I've used for years (http://techreport.com/news.rss) gives a 404 though.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am

Renee Johnson wrote:
Great comment and I agree and disagree with you! Most of the content on our site is from our users. With that being said, our goal over the coming weeks is to open up the site to many more contributors to help bring more content, better content and a better overall experience.
I suppose the list esc_in_ks has provided is an example of "many more contributors"?

I have a few suggestions of my own...

• 7 suggestions for getting your process down to 10nm
  • HBM stacks to expensive to fab? 5 old technologies you can fall back on
  • CAN'T FIND YOUR CAP LOCKS KEY? 6 ways to navigate your keyboard
  • Top 5 conferences you should attend to improve your PC knowledge
  • Best 4 builds for Fall PC roundup
  • Top 5 applications for measuring BOT response on your new website

esc_in_ks wrote:
    Igor_Kavinski wrote:

thedosbox
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
Please add a Disqus section like many sites or why but use what we had before that worked very well.

**** no. Disqus has poor tools for moderation, and requires that sites host clickbait ads from the likes of taboola and outbrain. Sites that use it invariably have poor quality comments.

I'm prepared to wait until my subscription expires to see how this pans out, but the introduction of disqus would be an immediate killer blow.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

None of those articles contain any useful information for, well, anyone.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Wow, new owners. It's clear TR needed something drastic to keep relevant. But it's still around simply because the community has kept it around. The community is the biggest asset this site has.

I agree, the community is the biggest asset on the site. However, I strongly disagree about "the community has kept it around". TR is a business, not a charity. The "community" hasn't been paying the bills. The site probably hasn't been operating in the black for a long time and thus hasn't been paying the bills. The only reason it is around is that the previous owner had been paying the bills, probably out of his own pocket. The new owners are now paying the bills.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am

I know some (most) people are upset about this process, but hoooooo boy, the comments on the front page are pretty awful. I'm even seeing long-time readers just bash with zero open-mindedness. I sure hope they just take a minute or two to calm down. That being said, there are definitely some helpful comments there too. I hope the new team is keeping an eye on them.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100