Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9301
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 am

Also about forum Software;

Please for the love of God NOT Kinja (API)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Draal
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:04 pm

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 am

Mr Bill wrote:
DrFish, when you mentioned that 'forums are SEO gold', is that because they are an advertisers data mining wet dream? Are the forum posts something to sell in the way Facebook sells its subscribers?


Quite literally the two links you'll want to read to understand their "perspective" are:
https://www.site123.com/learn/how-manag ... eo-efforts

And an article that one links to by one of the new owners:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnrampto ... d25de1800e

I understand it's from five years ago, but he is literally breaking his own "best practices" which to me suggests a turn key approach to TR where as stated earlier, it's just a single asset in a bigger portfolio.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53063
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am

Draal wrote:
DrFish - have you spoken or communicated with the new owners in some capacity? And if you are able to tell us, what was the internal announcement of the hand off like?

From this thread, it sounds like there was no internal announcement. They knew it was coming, but the timing was a complete surprise.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Draal
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:04 pm

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
Draal wrote:
DrFish - have you spoken or communicated with the new owners in some capacity? And if you are able to tell us, what was the internal announcement of the hand off like?

From this thread, it sounds like there was no internal announcement. They knew it was coming, but the timing was a complete surprise.


DrFish said that functional ownership had been handed off a few months and he had even readied a battery of interview questions prior to the design change and Renee Johnson making whatever she posted. I'm simply curious what the internal build up and announcement regarding the sale were like.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
Draal wrote:
DrFish - have you spoken or communicated with the new owners in some capacity? And if you are able to tell us, what was the internal announcement of the hand off like?

From this thread, it sounds like there was no internal announcement. They knew it was coming, but the timing was a complete surprise.


They are in the TR Slack most of the day and easily reachable. Timing of the redesign launch was a surprise but we knew it was coming "soon" for a couple weeks (but everyone expected a preview first). The staff finding out about the change of ownership was handled by Adam, he spoke with us individually a couple months back. Some of us learned before others, I think I was one of the first to know. After the redesign launched was when they started talking in the public Slack instead of just via DMs. The web developed showed up then too and has been responsive and friendly.

Mr Bill wrote:
DrFish, when you mentioned that 'forums are SEO gold', is that because they are an advertisers data mining wet dream? Are the forum posts something to sell in the way Facebook sells its subscribers?


IIRC, that was actually Adam's phrase when describing their value. I assumed he meant figuratively and I didn't take it to mean anything other than a great place for the existing search engine bots to parse through and get traffic from. I don't think the forums have ever been a money maker, but it's not something I have any firm knowledge of.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 25122
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
Draal wrote:
DrFish - have you spoken or communicated with the new owners in some capacity? And if you are able to tell us, what was the internal announcement of the hand off like?

From this thread, it sounds like there was no internal announcement. They knew it was coming, but the timing was a complete surprise.

Nobody expected the internal handoff.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Location: Location

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:17 am

The site being barely usable notwithstanding, you'd think they would've at least updated the About page and put it somewhere in either the header or the footer.
 
Bigbloke
Gerbil
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:36 am
Location: UK

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 am

Ignore me! Bruno is away defFunk said so on his Bargain basement post.

Edited for incompetence on my part (but paranoia levels still high).
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am

Bigbloke wrote:
Ignore me! Bruno is away defFunk said so on his Bargain basement post.

Edited for incompetence on my part (but paranoia levels still high).


Affiliate links aren't automatic in the new CMS (it's on the list) so he's taking a break until that's sorted out. Also, everyone kind of got the wind taken out of their sails and is approaching this week differently. Everyone is still around, just a bit quiet.

Edit: Wow, I read your original post but quoted you edited one just that fast, lol.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.
 
Bigbloke
Gerbil
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:36 am
Location: UK

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

drfish wrote:
Affiliate links aren't automatic in the new CMS (it's on the list) so he's taking a break until that's sorted out. Also, everyone kind of got the wind taken out of their sails and is approaching this week differently. Everyone is still around, just a bit quiet.

Edit: Wow, I read your original post but quoted you edited one just that fast, lol.


Seems reasonable. Thanks for speedy response! You-da-man DrFish!
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9301
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Draal wrote:
Quite literally the two links you'll want to read to understand their "perspective" are:
https://www.site123.com/learn/how-manag ... eo-efforts

And an article that one links to by one of the new owners:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnrampto ... d25de1800e

I understand it's from five years ago, but he is literally breaking his own "best practices" which to me suggests a turn key approach to TR where as stated earlier, it's just a single asset in a bigger portfolio.


Sooo these are good articles. But yeah, it seems they/he is currently breaking his own 'rules'.

drfish wrote:
......TR Slack......



:o There's a TR Slack, how did it never occur to me to search for it!?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 am

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm

For those in the know, are the new owners keeping up with this thread?
 
Bauxite
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: electrolytic redox smelting plant

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Welp, with new "Web 2.0 Buzz" ownership, TR is effectively a dead shell like most of the other "Tech Journalism" sites, bye.

I think its telling they flipped the switch with no warning on a major launch day that was bound to drive tons of traffic their way.
Last edited by Bauxite on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TR RIP 7/7/2019
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22973
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:18 pm

tanker27 wrote:
drfish wrote:
......TR Slack......

:o There's a TR Slack, how did it never occur to me to search for it!?

I think it's for the staff. I'd love a TR Discord though. I'm on there much more than I'm on the forums. Then again, you would lose the searchability that the forums provide.
There used to be a few TR IRC channels. One specifically for mods that I was a part of for awhile.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27839
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
There used to be a few TR IRC channels. One specifically for mods that I was a part of for awhile.

I haven't fired up Chatzilla since Mozilla deprecated it in Firefox.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2081
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:28 pm

drfish wrote:
This one is actually addressed in Renee's post and on the header of the new site. The forums are here to stay. My understanding is that they are SEO gold. They may be migrated to a different platform, like the front pages comments were/are still in the process of, but I think they are safe.


In addition to phpBB, I've used Invision Power Board(pretty good), and Fusetalk(ugh, yuck, gak). Fusetalk was not my choice, and I wasn't working with it as a developer. It also came about during a migration which didn't go so well, and even after that was cleaned up everyone hated it. I haven't used IPB in many years so I don't know what it's like now, but if for some reason phpBB doesn't make the cut once the powers that be start shopping for forum software, then IPB is probably the first place I'd look.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7724
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm

I still have mIRC... somewhere.

Also, what does Gyromancer do for the site? How do I not know this?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I still have mIRC... somewhere.

Also, what does Gyromancer do for the site? How do I not know this?

i still have mIRC installed and use it on the reg.

Gyromancer (Damage Jr) does peripheral reviews form time to time. Mice, keyboards, etc. It's good stuff, go check them out.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22973
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 pm

 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27839
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Gyromancer (Damage Jr) does peripheral reviews form time to time. Mice, keyboards, etc. It's good stuff, go check them out.

He's also a "trained technician" (I hope that picture is somewhere in the bowels of the CMS).
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53063
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Gyromancer (Damage Jr) does peripheral reviews form time to time. Mice, keyboards, etc. It's good stuff, go check them out.

He's also a "trained technician" (I hope that picture is somewhere in the bowels of the CMS).

https://techreport.com/blog/17915/remem ... -incident/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm

drfish wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
DrFish, when you mentioned that 'forums are SEO gold', is that because they are an advertisers data mining wet dream? Are the forum posts something to sell in the way Facebook sells its subscribers?


IIRC, that was actually Adam's phrase when describing their value. I assumed he meant figuratively and I didn't take it to mean anything other than a great place for the existing search engine bots to parse through and get traffic from. I don't think the forums have ever been a money maker, but it's not something I have any firm knowledge of.
So, if this forum is SEO already, it might stay as is. But if an argument can be made that a different wordpress tool can do it better, we can expect some changes.

Front page suggestion...
When you scroll down at Ars Technica, the top navigatnon bar disappears just like here at TR. But as soon as you scroll up even a bit; the navigation bar unhides floating at the top of the window and becomes avialable for navigation. TR should do that.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro
 
meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://techreport.com/blog/17915/remembering-the-gotbyte-incident/

Some images missing there. Oddly, also on the Wayback Machine.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27839
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Gyromancer (Damage Jr) does peripheral reviews form time to time. Mice, keyboards, etc. It's good stuff, go check them out.
He's also a "trained technician" (I hope that picture is somewhere in the bowels of the CMS).
https://techreport.com/blog/17915/remembering-the-gotbyte-incident/
Wow, the font used on those pictures reminds me of the great Tech Report print magazine experiment.

Yes folks, TR used to come to the mailbox every month (for about a year, IIRC).
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.
 
Gyromancer
Gerbil
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: Damage Labs
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Yes folks, TR used to come to the mailbox every month (for about a year, IIRC).


Woah, I had no idea.
Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27839
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Gyromancer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Yes folks, TR used to come to the mailbox every month (for about a year, IIRC).
Woah, I had no idea.

Well, not many beyond the TR diehards of the time knew about it either.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.
 
paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6255
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

The site redesign is pretty rough, but I'm a lot more concerned about the apparent lack of communication. FireGryphon is right; that bodes very poorly for how the site will be run moving forward.

I'm bummed, but not surprised; as Ned has noted, if you paid attention it was clear the site was financially struggling (even without going to the BBQ). I'll see how it shakes out but I'm not optimistic. The continued tone deaf bad-PR person replies on the front page, the lack of communication about timing, the lack of substantial communication from new ownership, the fact it was kept secret for months...
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
 
SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2652
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: North DFW suburb...
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
drfish wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
DrFish, when you mentioned that 'forums are SEO gold', is that because they are an advertisers data mining wet dream? Are the forum posts something to sell in the way Facebook sells its subscribers?


IIRC, that was actually Adam's phrase when describing their value. I assumed he meant figuratively and I didn't take it to mean anything other than a great place for the existing search engine bots to parse through and get traffic from. I don't think the forums have ever been a money maker, but it's not something I have any firm knowledge of.
So, if this forum is SEO already, it might stay as is. But if an argument can be made that a different wordpress tool can do it better, we can expect some changes.


I'm going through that transition on another forum I frequent and while its been better than the main site transition here, it has significantly dropped the usability and usefulness of that forum and, at least anecdotally, seems to have significantly decreased the patronage of the forums.

So here is the funny thing... the whole part about bringing in more contributors and expanding the main site comment? I'm completely on board with that. Several folks have noted that I should turn my threads on the Prusa i3Mk3 and my Ms Pacman restore into articles. I'd love to see such content on the front page. -- aside: I can and do write, but that's part of my day job and I barely have time to work on hobby projects as it is. As cool as it sounds, I know that making formal articles out of those projects would immediately move them from fun things to do outside of work to "crap I have more work to do" -- As others have noted, major shifts in computer hardware are few and far between. I haven't built a new machine in at least five years and don't have plans to do anything other than maybe a video card upgrade anytime soon. I don't really game anymore and any middling card would meet my needs. So, content that expands further into the "tech" world. Who wouldn't want to read an article interviewing JBI and discussing his cool homebrew setup and its ins and outs (well maybe JBI wouldn't)? But you gotta have a couple of those articles ready to go at site switch, or at least good coming soon teasers so that folks have an idea what they are going to get in return for the change in presentation.

Each day that goes by without indepth communications from the new owners/leadership the less hope I have for any sort of useful outcome and the less hope I have for the forums in the long run. But, I will say that in the short term, I've spent way more time on the front page than I have in ages. :cry:

--SS
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Just wanted to add that some good dialogue is happening in the TR Slack right now with John and Renee, who just joined us. I expect you'll have a proper introduction and explanation soon.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.
 
sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 am

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm

YEAH, FROM AN INSIDER POSITION THINGS ARE LOOKING BETTER EVERYDAY. HAHAHA I'M AN INSIDER GOD HOW DID THAT HAPPEN

@Drfish also need to make is so clicking on an image in an article opens the full size image. right now they don't open

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adampk17, Google [Bot], superjawes, tfp and 11 guests
GZIP: On