Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Rand
Gerbil

Re: Something's different...

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:47 am

Xolore wrote:
There's plenty of plugins that can apply custom css to individual sites. I'm using one called stylish. I even tried sharing my crummy css code I've pieced together if people are curious. I think the css can be pulled straight from that link if people prefer a different solution. I think some browsers may even have direct support for user styles.

That alone makes the site immensely more usable, it makes a huge difference.
Thanks for sharing it.

fyo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am

Rand wrote:
Xolore wrote:
There's plenty of plugins that can apply custom css to individual sites. I'm using one called stylish. I even tried sharing my crummy css code I've pieced together if people are curious. I think the css can be pulled straight from that link if people prefer a different solution. I think some browsers may even have direct support for user styles.

Thanks for sharing it.

That's actually surprisingly good for the front page. The main difference, Tech Report blue aside, is just setting a shorter height for the main story. This is ONE line in the css code. From Xolore's css mod:

#featured-slider.featured-slider-two, #featured-slider .caption-bg
{
height: 200px;
}

Now, if someone could just reduce the width of this "top story" div a bit, making room for a "hottest threads" div to the right, we'd be in business (for the front page). Technically, the easiest thing to do is simply move the featured-slider div down into the "post-outer-wrap" div (try in Chrome using inspect and just drag it down a few lines). Then all we need is a plugin that checks hottest forum threads (or most recent forum posts, or whatever metric is determined to be best).

https://pasteboard.co/IopkBUK.png

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am

Rand wrote:
Xolore wrote:

Thanks for sharing it.

Whoa, just got around to trying this, very nice! Passed along to the new guys.

ermo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am

I don't speak CSS; at least not well enough to talk to Stylus/Stylish, so:

Which incantation should I use if I wanted to decrease the line spacing to a more reasonable level inside each paragraph on the front page (to make it the same spacing as, say, the present forum)?

(yes, I looked at the page code and yes, the CSS property I want to set is
line-height: 1.4-1.5;
-- I just can't get it to take...)
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

fyo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:50 am

ermo wrote:

Which incantation should I use if I wanted to decrease the line spacing to a more reasonable level inside each paragraph on the front page (to make it the same spacing as, say, the present forum)?

That would be "line-height: normal; " for the p element.

It doesn't really get you anything, since the amount of text shown is hard-coded and the height of the div with the image is fixed.

You can test really easily in Chrome (desktop). Just highlight something in one of the paragraphs, right-click, and select Inspect. Under styles in the right-hand pane change line-height to, e.g., normal.

EDIT: To get it to "stick", you need to use an extension. In Chrome, I've used "User CSS" and it just does what the label says. Install the plugin. Give it permission to access data on techreport.com (and only techreport.com) by right-clicking the extension icon in the nav-bar ("This can read and..."). Then left-click on the icon and enter the following css:

p { line-height: normal;}

Done.

ermo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am

fyo wrote:
ermo wrote:

It doesn't really get you anything, since the amount of text shown is hard-coded and the height of the div with the image is fixed.

You can test really easily in Chrome (desktop). Just highlight something in one of the paragraphs, right-click, and select Inspect. Under styles in the right-hand pane change line-height to, e.g., normal.

I can change it if I use the Firefox inspector (what is this "Chrome" you speak of?*), but what I really want is to know how to make Stylus/Stylish respect my setting (line-height: 1.45) -- i.e. under which existing rule/new rule should this be added?

IMHO, a line height of 1.45 makes the text blurbs more cohesive and easier to read with Xolores' Stylish hack. The current default seems to be 1.6-ish.

*: I'm not being serious. Of course I know that Google Chrome is a very efficient data-profiling platform disguised as your friendly neighbourhood web browser #1.

fyo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 pm

ermo wrote:
fyo wrote:
ermo wrote:

I can change it if I use the Firefox inspector (what is this "Chrome" you speak of?*), but what I really want is to know how to make Stylus/Stylish respect my setting (line-height: 1.45) -- i.e. under which existing rule/new rule should this be added?

IMHO, a line height of 1.45 makes the text blurbs more cohesive and easier to read with Xolores' Stylish hack. The current default seems to be 1.6-ish.

*: I'm not being serious. Of course I know that Google Chrome is a very efficient data-profiling platform disguised as your friendly neighbourhood web browser #1.

Just add the line I mentioned at the top of the css text. I installed Stylish and got it to work, although it was much, much more cumbersome than User CSS (and I couldn't get any of the automatic features to work to import the css, so I had to cut-n-paste it without the @moz bit at the beginning and closing bracket at the end). For all I know, Stylish could be much more powerful, but simple experimentation, I will definitely keep doing with User CSS.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 pm

drfish wrote:
Rand wrote:
Xolore wrote:

Thanks for sharing it.

Whoa, just got around to trying this, very nice! Passed along to the new guys.

Yes, very nice... looks good in Firefox. Just install Stylish extension, go to the Userstyles.org link given above, and hit install.
Last edited by roncat on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ermo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 pm

fyo wrote:
Just add the line I mentioned at the top of the css text. I installed Stylish and got it to work (...)

Cheers mate, this seemed to work.

Honestly, these simple CSS changes makes an enormous difference to the readability of the site with the bonus that it feels more like the TR I used to know and love.

I hope the TR web cronies are paying attention: It's fine to have a generic "modern" front page for the "I browse the TL;DR-web on my phone kthxbai" crowd.

Just for the love of bob give us old-timers an oldsk00l TR CSS option used for "Long Reads" (aka the default article length on TR) we can switch on, which features a nice dark-ish/calm background for less eye-strain, then you'll hear a lot less grumbling from us Statlers and Waldorfs in the peanut gallery.
Last edited by ermo on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

fyo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Feature suggestion for the list: Easy way to see on the front page of there has been a reply to one of the user's posts. Alternatively (or both) an easy way to see if a thread the user has posted on has new messages. Ars Technica implements both, one on mobile, one on desktop (which is really weird and there might be some option to modify this behavior, but I've never bothered checking). This would also make comments and forum feel like a more integrated part of the site.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Are you talking front page comments?

Gyromancer
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Is this the same Stylish that had Spyware?
Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.

Xolore
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Gyromancer wrote:

Interesting. I guess I missed that news. I really only chose it as a method of sharing, but perhaps it'd be best to use other plugins then. The css can still be pulled from the site I'd think but there's no need to use the stylish plugin itself if a different one is better. Thanks for pointing this out.

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Can we get back the old front page ? I like being able to see what current threads are active.
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

fyo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Are you talking front page comments?

If this is in response to my comment, then "both". It would be nice to quickly see that someone had replied to something I had posted and/or if there had been new activity in threads I had been active in.

toki
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 pm

I really do agree with being able to see hot thread topics. I miss that so so much! along with top thumbs up comments.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 pm

WordPress database error: [Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction]
UPDATE `wp_options` SET `option_value` = '1' WHERE `option_name` = 'et_core_page_resource_remove_all'

Currently on the homepage. I forget who reported it, but I guess the forums were doing something similar at one point, so it does sound like there's a tweak to error reporting needed here. Anything like this should be redirected to an error log and ideally emailed to an admin(although, I doubt the logs are clean enough at this point for that not to be really annoying). I can't think of a case offhand where this has happened in practice, but log entries can sometimes contain sensitive information and it's potentially a security issue to be broadcasting them out into the wild like this.

Stack exchange to the rescue!

https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/que ... -wordpress

edit: ...and now it's showing an insert query into wp_options instead of an update...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

thecoldanddarkone

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Honestly, I think I'm going to stop visiting the front page for a month or so. It still makes me want to stab my eyes out.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:28 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
Honestly, I think I'm going to stop visiting the front page for a month or so. It still makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Agreed.
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

rudimentary_lathe
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Came here to post about the database message on the front page - see someone beat me to it.

I've refrained on commenting on the site re-design until now, but things don't seem to be improving. It's very disappointing. Among the apparent no-no's:

- timing - the CMS/theme was changed right after the first major hardware review in a while was published
- lack of beta testing - most of these issues regarding the white space, etc. could have been fixed with a proper roll-out.
- bad communication - still no official word re: the change of ownership, and only a remarkably tone-deaf post from someone named Renee Johnson (who is she?) to suggest something
is different

Who is the editor? Is there an editor? Did Bruno or existing staff have a say in the CMS transition, and if not, why? Why haven't the new owners still not introduced themselves and expressed their vision for the site? It seems like they bought the site just to kill it, which would be bizarre to put it mildly. If they enjoy burning cash they could have give some to yours truly :).

ermo
Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Xolore wrote:
Gyromancer wrote:

Interesting. I guess I missed that news. I really only chose it as a method of sharing, but perhaps it'd be best to use other plugins then. The css can still be pulled from the site I'd think but there's no need to use the stylish plugin itself if a different one is better. Thanks for pointing this out.

You can use Stylus instead. It's still compatible with Stylish themes; it's what I use and your theme works there.

Thanks for hacking a usable theme together mate!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Are the forums especially laggy for everyone else this evening, or is it on my end?
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Redocbew

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm

It does seem a little slow, but if it weren't for that that deadlock error I'd probably say it was on your end. I don't know if they fixed it, or if they just managed to properly set up the error logging, but it's reasonable to think there might be some performance impact if whatever caused that is still happening.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 am

I'm trying, honestly, I am but is THIS the future of TR now? A flat click baity and tone deaf article? It should have been a short bread link and NOT a featured article. To drfish, SSK, and others your articles are top notch when compared to this! I just cannot put words to how I feel. And I don't want to disparage the author, I am sure she is a fine person, but dang it........it's a crap article with information that is already out there on 'other' sites. It lacked any personality whatsoever.

Personality in the articles is what set TR above everyone else. From Geoff's SSD endurance test and Scott's famous Inside the second: A new look at game benchmarking to the more recent drfish's Water cooled Vive article, these are the articles that set the bar high. If I have to wade through these click bait article to get to the good stuff then TR is pretty much DOA.

I never complained about the frequency of articles with the old TR. I knew that the writers always had something good cooking up and that the real testing and article writing took time.

BAH! I'm trying seriously I am. :cry:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 am

It didn't read that badly to me IMO. Some of the comments in that news post seem pretty hypersensitive and hostile.

fyo
Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:56 am

Didn't mind the article that much. The biggest problem with it was that it essentielt just echoed a bunch of stuff DERFUNKENSTEIN posted exactly a week ago:

https://techreport.com/news/3463471/nin ... te-doesnt/

It did contain one nugget with serial number thing.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 am

I wouldn't say it was bad either! the comments immediately go pretty negative pretty fast...

cygnus1
Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 am

tanker27 wrote:
I'm trying, honestly, I am

It just really wasn't that bad. Different than TR of old, yes, but still a lot better than 'clickbait'. And honestly, if it takes that writing style to drive more traffic to the site and get their revenue up then I'm all for it. That's how I'm accepting these changes anyway.

Where I have a very slight gripe with the post is that it's covering game consoles, which seems off focus for the site. Where console news intersects with PC news, I understand coverage here. So maybe because nVidia is involved that's enough of a link. Had I been involved in the discussion to cover this with an actual article instead of a shortbread bullet, I might've leaned toward shortbread.

Regardless, I really hope Renee has a thick skin, because too many of those comments on the article and on her intro article were just excessive and unconstructive.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am

fyo wrote:
Didn't mind the article that much. The biggest problem with it was that it essentielt just echoed a bunch of stuff DERFUNKENSTEIN posted exactly a week ago:

https://techreport.com/news/3463471/nin ... te-doesnt/

It did contain one nugget with serial number thing.

That's Nintendo's fault, not Renee's. If the new Switch revision had launched/been announced at the same time as the Lite Switch, it would have just been another section of that post.

Seems likely that Nintendo knew that, and so the announcements got spread out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:55 am

I don't really get why some people just insist on being pissed off all the time. The article was fine? It wasn't the usual nerdspeak editorial style of TR, but it was completely fine. I haven't even rea the comments yet, but people, you have got to chill out and just go about your thing. I would hate to go through life as mad as some of the people here at something as small as that article.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100