Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Re: Something's different...

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am

SecretMaster wrote:
It didn't read that badly to me IMO. Some of the comments in that news post seem pretty hypersensitive and hostile.

I agree. Article is fine, but people are still salty about the website redesign, and for better or worse... Renee's introduction was as the "face" of the new redesign. So she'll unfortunately have to put up with this for at least the near future (Its the unfortunate effect of politics, correlation, causation, etc. etc. Its unfair but that's how the crowds work).

Frankly, we can do without these abusive people. A lot of them weren't contributing to this community before the redesign anyway.

-------------

Sargent Duck is a different story. It seems that Sargent Duck wanted more "meat" to the article, perhaps confirmation of the rumors (or maybe even, spreading the rumors around even more?). I disagree with him on that, but we are both allowed to have our own opinions on editorial style.

I disagree with that point of view. Sargent Duck's criticism, although wrong (:-p), is in good faith. My preference is honestly in a more conservative hyperlink approach with regards to editorial discretion. There's no need to publish information that might be wrong here, on TechReport. Shortbread and other hyperlink-based articles are a "safer" way to approach rumored information.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 am

No offense, but that's such horse crap. TR has been posting "rumors" for YEARS.

https://techreport.com/?s=rumor

It's like people just want to find **** to be pissed about. Maybe think before we all talk and things will go a lot smoother.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 am

fyo wrote:
Didn't mind the article that much. The biggest problem with it was that it essentielt just echoed a bunch of stuff DERFUNKENSTEIN posted exactly a week ago:

https://techreport.com/news/3463471/nin ... te-doesnt/

It did contain one nugget with serial number thing.

Not really. The Switch-lite is a different thing than the rumor. The "new switch" still has docking mode and everything. Its just going to (probably) use that new 16nm class chip that NVidia released, instead of ancient 20nm 1st revision Tegra.

Nintendo is changing the serial number and claiming better battery life. But it doesn't seem like the "new switch" will be visually much different, or even have a different SKU.

DancinJack wrote:
No offense, but that's such horse crap. TR has been posting "rumors" for YEARS.

No offense taken. That doesn't change what my editorial preference is. I've done journalism club back in High School. Editorial discretion is a key feature of a writer. The editor has the final say, but the individual author has the first say in what is, and isn't published. Renee's preference is closer to the preference that I was trained upon back in Journalism club, and harkens back to my editorial philosophy. Its different than what other people have posted here in the past. But I LIKE that conservative writing style.

I mean, maybe you want to publish rumors so that there's more "meat" in articles or whatever. But that'd be your decision if you were the author (and editor).

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
No offense taken. That doesn't change what my editorial preference is. I've done journalism club back in High School. Editorial discretion is a key feature of a writer. The editor has the final say, but the individual author has the first say in what is, and isn't published. Renee's preference is closer to the preference that I was trained upon back in Journalism club, and harkens back to my editorial philosophy. Its different than what other people have posted here in the past. But I LIKE that conservative writing style.

I mean, maybe you want to publish rumors so that there's more "meat" in articles or whatever. But that'd be your decision if you were the author (and editor).

I honestly don't mind either way, I'm just pointing out that posting rumors on the front page isn't exactly different from what TR has been doing. I don't think anyone should be criticizing Renee or the new staff for it. That's all.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 am

DancinJack wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

I honestly don't mind either way, I'm just pointing out that posting rumors on the front page isn't exactly different from what TR has been doing. I don't think anyone should be criticizing Renee or the new staff for it. That's all.

Oh, I'm not criticizing her. I'm congratulating her. She used a hyperlink instead of posting the rumor. I LIKE what she did.

EDIT: In fact, Renee even posted the FCC filing, which partially confirms the rumor through official sources.

While the Nintendo Switch announcement focuses on battery life, the company’s filing with the FCC revealed some other component changes. These changes included the console’s system-on-chip and memory.

I think where she makes a mistake is perhaps the next paragraph. But there's enough hate on her right now so I'm not going to criticize her at the moment. In either case, she clearly marks the information as "rumor", provides official sources (FCC is quite official! So something is changing, and its confirmed that the SOC is changing). I mean, its perfectly fine and reasonable.

Thumbs up from my perspective. Its written fine, and has information that the other websites didn't have. (the serial-number change and the FCC filing). I think I like that writing style.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 am

tsoulier wrote:
Can we get back the old front page ? I like being able to see what current threads are active.

TR only has back page now..I just find to this thread. I visited the short bread yesterday. Couldn't comment. Closed the page and went to a different site to spend time.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 am

We're a friendly bunch, but Renee is stepping into a hostile environment no matter how you slice it. For one, she's the first of probably many future writers. Second, she doesn't come from a background with the site like the rest of us. Compound that with being the first writer to join the site without a Scott or Jeff around as EICs (or any full time staff at all for that matter). Finally, on top of all that, she's also tasked by her boss to make changes to our beloved site because if they don't then TR will be in the same financial situation it's been in for a few years. Talk about a big ask.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind going forward.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

thedosbox
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 pm

drfish wrote:
thedosbox wrote:
Just caught up with this, and I appreciate that you've fronted up here. However, I'm done participating on the front page (sorry, no more cat jokes) until we see how this pans out.

In the meantime, how do I go about cancelling the auto-renewal for my subscription? The "subscriptions" page doesn't provide a way to do this.

Among many things that were, uh, left out, of the redesign was the Stripe applet on the subs pages. I'm told that will be back shortly - the developer apparently wasn't aware it existed.

It astounds me that the method by which the site was partially funded was not given a higher priority. Has there been any indication of when this might be restored?

drfish wrote:
We're a friendly bunch, but Renee is stepping into a hostile environment no matter how you slice it. For one, she's the first of probably many future writers. Second, she doesn't come from a background with the site like the rest of us. Compound that with being the first writer to join the site without a Scott or Jeff around as EICs (or any full time staff at all for that matter). Finally, on top of all that, she's also tasked by her boss to make changes to our beloved site because if they don't then TR will be in the same financial situation it's been in for a few years. Talk about a big ask.

She's doing the job asked of her, so no hate from me. I'm not a fan of the short sections and multiple headings style, though it confirms a sneaking suspicion I've had for awhile. Specifically that the new direction for TR is to turn it into a verge/engadget style site, with less in-depth PC coverage. That's the reason I'm so keen on being able to cancel my auto-renewal. Sure, I could dispute the charge when it comes up, but that's hassle neither I or TR want to deal with.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm

thedosbox wrote:
drfish wrote:
thedosbox wrote:
Just caught up with this, and I appreciate that you've fronted up here. However, I'm done participating on the front page (sorry, no more cat jokes) until we see how this pans out.

In the meantime, how do I go about cancelling the auto-renewal for my subscription? The "subscriptions" page doesn't provide a way to do this.

Among many things that were, uh, left out, of the redesign was the Stripe applet on the subs pages. I'm told that will be back shortly - the developer apparently wasn't aware it existed.

It astounds me that the method by which the site was partially funded was not given a higher priority. Has there been any indication of when this might be restored?

I'm touting it as the highest priority of all the changes we've asked for, but we're still waiting for the web dev to be back on the case. Hopefully, that'll be next week. Again, they have as good a reason as any for the delay, but the timing is awful.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Thumbs up from my perspective. Its written fine, and has information that the other websites didn't have. (the serial-number change and the FCC filing). I think I like that writing style.

And maybe you're trying a bit too hard also? You're trolling the trolls about how none of this was available anywhere else when that's verifiably false. The eurogamer story laid it all out a little over a month ago. Do I care? Not really. The(growing!) team at TR clearly had more important things to do at the time, and the missing details don't really change the picture because we still don't know exactly how the T214 differs from the T210. If it did, then there'd be a real case for insufficient research, but that's not how it played out this time.

It's not up to me, so my opinion doesn't matter, but I'd rather help someone forge their own set of nerd credentials instead of treating them like an outsider and being a jackass about it. Just let the trolls be trolls. They'll go away eventually once the drama runs out. They always do.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:53 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
and has information that the other websites didn't have. (the serial-number change and the FCC filing).

The problem is that other sites DID have that information and got it out (Slashdot) sooner:
Slashdot (Serial number is linked)
Extremetech

I've always gone to Slashdot for the quick and dirty news and then to TR for the in-depth nitty-gritty reviews. For this article, Slashdot told me about it but I fully expected TR to go into the details of the process node, the chipset names, the processor...The extreme tech link I linked to did exactly that AND they released it at the same time as TR. What I EXPECT of TR is the nitty-gritty details (like what Extremetech posted). Renee did not provide that and just rehashed something I read on Slashdot 3 hours early.

If TR is just going to become a generic news posting site to drive traffic, there are other sites that already do that, and better.

But in writing this, perhaps that was always the problem. Doing in-depth break downs take time and by the time TR has posted a quality post, people have already moved on. In this day and age of "instant news", nobody (except the real geeks) wants to wait. The geeks will wait around for the details, but us geeks certainly don't drive enough traffic.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Just let the trolls be trolls. They'll go away eventually once the drama runs out. They always do.

Heh, your naive optimism is cute. More often than not, trolls hang around and shape the opinions of others to be more like the trolls. For the most part, people are sheep, and they prefer to listen to the loudest voice in the room.

In any case, I'm not trolling... much. (Okay, I'm trolling Nunya Beeswax, that poster 100% deserves it. He's a jackass so I'll respond like a jackass). I honestly was fine with the article. I realize other people have their criticism, but if they're going to criticize, then it is only fair of me to defend where I think things were done well.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fyo
Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:10 pm

I have zero problem with TR doing more short news. In fact, I'd like it if they did. Sure, it might be something I've seen elsewhere, but the community here is more than capable of providing thoughtful insights that I didn't get on random-tech-site and I've long since given up on Slashdot's discussions.

One of the things that kept my visits to TR down to maybe one a day was the lack of new content. I didn't visit the forums much (less than 50 posts in 16 years), but I appreciate the article comments.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
and has information that the other websites didn't have. (the serial-number change and the FCC filing).

The problem is that other sites DID have that information and got it out (Slashdot) sooner:
Slashdot (Serial number is linked)
Extremetech

I've always gone to Slashdot for the quick and dirty news and then to TR for the in-depth nitty-gritty reviews. For this article, Slashdot told me about it but I fully expected TR to go into the details of the process node, the chipset names, the processor...The extreme tech link I linked to did exactly that AND they released it at the same time as TR. What I EXPECT of TR is the nitty-gritty details (like what Extremetech posted). Renee did not provide that and just rehashed something I read on Slashdot 3 hours early.

If TR is just going to become a generic news posting site to drive traffic, there are other sites that already do that, and better.

But in writing this, perhaps that was always the problem. Doing in-depth break downs take time and by the time TR has posted a quality post, people have already moved on. In this day and age of "instant news", nobody (except the real geeks) wants to wait. The geeks will wait around for the details, but us geeks certainly don't drive enough traffic.

If anyone wants to know what TR would look like in 3 months if no changes were made, just go here: https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/

No thanks.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
Just let the trolls be trolls. They'll go away eventually once the drama runs out. They always do.
Heh, your naive optimism is cute. More often than not, trolls hang around and shape the opinions of others to be more like the trolls. For the most part, people are sheep, and they prefer to listen to the loudest voice in the room.

Hmm, well congrats on having a worldview darker than mine, I guess. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Redocbew wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Hmm, well congrats on having a worldview darker than mine, I guess. :lol:

It may not be an "influence" factor of trolls. It may very well be the factor of reasonable people just no longer visiting the site (or comments section) when they see stuff they despise. In either case, communities are pulled into the direction of troll beliefs over time, especially if trolls are persistent. So it may not that anyone is actually being convinced by their behavior, we just no longer see the reasonable people stand out if the trolls are too loud.

I don't intend for that to be a "dark thought", its just how things work.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Alot of folks are getting frustrated here (myself included), and it seems as though this thread may have outlasted its usefulness. Another 25 pages of venting/ranting isn't going to accomplish anything other than further increasing tensions.

I move that we break off Fish's original post here, and create a new official thread dedicated to constructively discussing and prioritizing the suggestion list, and then float it at the top. No venting, just organizing the list. That'll give the new owners a place to quickly and easily get input from the community without having to wade through page after page.

Perhaps we do one for all things related to site design, and a separate one for site direction so things don't get muddied up?

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:44 pm

The Egg wrote:
I move that we break off Fish's original post here, and create a new official thread dedicated to constructively discussing and prioritizing the suggestion list, and then float it at the top. No venting, just organizing the list. That'll give the new owners a place to quickly and easily get input from the community without having to wade through page after page.

Perhaps we do one for all things related to site design, and a separate one for site direction so things don't get muddied up?
Thank you for suggesting this, Egg. I would really appreciate a place where we can post comments and suggestions about the design, such as Xolore's excellent css mod. It currently seems like most of the bug reports and suggestions are getting a bit buried by the doom and gloom in this thread.
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

general_tux wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Thank you for suggesting this, Egg. I would really appreciate a place where we can post comments and suggestions about the design, such as Xolore's excellent css mod. It currently seems like most of the bug reports and suggestions are getting a bit buried by the doom and gloom in this thread.

go: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122211

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 am

drfish wrote:

I'll end my thoughts on this. I have left and plan on continuing to leave Renee alone, she has a hard enough job. While I didn't enjoy her article, I didn't hate it either. I don't know enough about her situation to criticize her. Yes an introduction would have been nice, but for me that is just a shrug.

This is where I stop going easy

This transition was botched.

a
b
c
I stop being kind and start criticizing when a website looks like it's only mobile. Then proceeds to not get the comments right.

You can only botch that by not testing or not caring about the short term results (you can use the word gambling for not caring). Anyways, I'll keep off the front page for a bit and hope it turns to a more useful environment. For this subject going forward I'll try to keep my salt to myself.

I'm definitely skeptical but I'm also hopeful. The worst that can happen is that I go away. The best that could happen is that I continue to enjoy content from TR.

Ultimately, I may not be the target audience. it's business. If that's the case just one less site I visit. Also business.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
Anyways, I'll keep off the front page for a bit and hope it turns to a more useful environment. For this subject going forward I'll try to keep my salt to myself.

I'm definitely skeptical but I'm also hopeful. The worst that can happen is that I go away. The best that could happen is that I continue to enjoy content from TR.

Ultimately, I may not be the target audience. it's business. If that's the case just one less site I visit. Also business.

I find when I go to the front page I get very salty. I don't like being salty. But I am. Your words are wise.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 am

cygnus1 wrote:
It just really wasn't that bad. Different than TR of old, yes, but still a lot better than 'clickbait'.

I think tanker27 was referring to stuff like "Gamers are sure to appreciate". I also somewhat dislike, in the following, the passive voice and the harmless-word-turned-buzzword "experience": "it's possible that gamers will experience other improvements".

FireGryphon wrote:
There are a number of great forums out there that I visit a couple times a month to read up on things that are pertinent.

Which ones are those?

tanker27 wrote:
To drfish, SSK, and others, +even your articles are top notch when compared to this!

FTFY. ;)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 pm

I didn’t have a problem with the article. I’d gladly take those if it keeps the doors open.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am

hey fish (or a mod) would someone mind linking the "on topic" bug/feature thread in the first post? Since we don't have the active topics list it probably doesn't show up for a low of people very visibly.

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122211

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 am

DancinJack wrote:
hey fish (or a mod) would someone mind linking the "on topic" bug/feature thread in the first post? Since we don't have the active topics list it probably doesn't show up for a lot of people very visibly. https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122211
The third option on the forum bar is New Posts. That's a handy thing.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am

Done.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:06 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
hey fish (or a mod) would someone mind linking the "on topic" bug/feature thread in the first post? Since we don't have the active topics list it probably doesn't show up for a lot of people very visibly. https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122211
The third option on the forum bar is New Posts. That's a handy thing.

It is, but you have to come to the forum to see it. The whole reason I joined TR's forums was that I saw active discussions from the home page.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JoeKiller
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:31 pm

What happened to the ads? Is TR dead? How are y'all going to keep cash coming in if I never see an ad? I'm serious here. Is the site so cheap that it doesn't matter?

Suggestions on design: there needs to be more filters or ways to find the content that matters. IE reviews of certain cpus or graphics cards. I don't really want to rely on google search as that is a PITA. are there numbers backing up the switch away from drill down tags? Just curious there.

Really the site feels almost too sparse.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:43 pm

JoeKiller wrote:
What happened to the ads? Is TR dead? How are y'all going to keep cash coming in if I never see an ad? I'm serious here. Is the site so cheap that it doesn't matter?

Suggestions on design: there needs to be more filters or ways to find the content that matters. IE reviews of certain cpus or graphics cards. I don't really want to rely on google search as that is a PITA. are there numbers backing up the switch away from drill down tags? Just curious there.

There are still tags...I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Maybe you just missed them. For instance: https://techreport.com/tag/cpus/

What do you mean about ads? They're still on the site. Exact same places in the forums, and obviously a bit different positioning on the new home, but still there nonetheless. Do you happen to have an adblocker on?

fyo
Gerbil

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 am

DancinJack wrote:
JoeKiller wrote:

There are still tags...I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Maybe you just missed them. For instance: https://techreport.com/tag/cpus/

What do you mean about ads? They're still on the site. Exact same places in the forums, and obviously a bit different positioning on the new home, but still there nonetheless. Do you happen to have an adblocker on?

There aren't any prominent ads on mobile. The first ad I see on the front page is below the top 14 most recent stories. No one scrolls down that far. Clicking a story/review, to see an ad I have to scroll down past the first page of the story, then past the "you may also like", then past all the comments. No one scrolls down that far.

So when JoeKiller says he never sees an ad, all that's required is browsing on mobile. No ad blocker required.