Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Something's different...

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

morphine wrote:
Been finally skimming this thread. DancinJack, and/or maybe a couple others, thanks for your concern, but I'm fine. I've elected to step away from TR. I'll probably still stick around in the forums.

Bummer. Thanks for all your hard work!
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 pm

morphine wrote:
I've elected to step away from TR. I'll probably still stick around in the forums.

The forums are now TheTrueTR™. On the upside, more time to perfect your economy picking? :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:53 pm

meerkt wrote:
morphine wrote:
I've elected to step away from TR. I'll probably still stick around in the forums.

The forums are now TheTrueTR™. On the upside, more time to perfect your economy picking? :)

I want to see him sweep and tap. I bet with a name like Bruno he can shred far more than his bass would allow.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
meerkt wrote:
morphine wrote:

I want to see him sweep and tap. I bet with a name like Bruno he can shred far more than his bass would allow.

I wish. First, I can't sweep for ****, second, I'm playing mostly-old-school thrash metal. This ain't prog rock.

However, I do have a mean right hand and can downpick and string skip on the bass on some riffs.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm

The bot or whatever is posting links on Facebook needs help. Just got a link to Scotts light bulb article from 5+ years ago. WTH ! https://techreport.com/blog/26457/more- ... ght-bulbs/

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 am

Afraid it's not going to get help. AFAIK it's intentionally doing that as a play to convince other bots that TR is more active than it is. This is not something we've been told by the new PHBs, just something we're guessing at. Hopefully, when some more writers are brought in, they will stop playing that game.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 am

drfish wrote:
Afraid it's not going to get help. AFAIK it's intentionally doing that as a play to convince other bots that TR is more active than it is. This is not something we've been told by the new PHBs, just something we're guessing at. Hopefully, when some more writers are brought in, they will stop playing that game.

Bots manipulating other bots to confuse the bots?

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 am

Botception.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am

TR will probably make it to whatever date. Just not necessarily in the form you're accustomed to.

ermo
Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 am

drfish wrote:
News has been light. :-?

You don't say...

Apart from making the necessary business changes to increase the odds of the commercial survival of TR, how aware do you think the new overlords are that longtime TR supporters are very much frowning upon the way this has all been / is being handled?

If you can't go into detail, an answer on the scale of 1-10 (where 10 is "acutely") is at least better than the radio silence we've been subjected to so far...

P.S. Hey Bruno. Nice to hear that you plan to stick around for a bit, even if it's not in any official capacity. =)
Last edited by ermo on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:31 am

On a scale of 1-10 we've made sure they're around a 12 on the "awareness" scale. Whether that matters is...well...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
On a scale of 1-10 we've made sure they're around a 12 on the "awareness" scale. Whether that matters is...well...

Aware but perhaps uncaring is the sense I think we're starting to get.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:38 pm

Hmmm, an interesting quirk I like about the front page. If you go to reviews and just start scrolling down it goes on and on. If you click on an authors name then all the reviews shown from that point on are by that author.

Just checked, if you try any category on the front page and click on the author you get everything by that author.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 pm

That is nice. I sure wish it pulled in all the feature images, though.

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:53 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
drfish wrote:

Bots manipulating other bots to confuse the bots?

Really, aren’t we all just bots?

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:54 am

morphine wrote:
TR will probably make it to whatever date. Just not necessarily in the form you're accustomed to.

Yeah... it’s a good site name. Somebody will do something with the name/URL.

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:16 am

Just in case this place really, completely, dies (or maybe that's already happened), I'd just like to say this:

I will miss this place. It has been a really nice diversion from the ups and downs of life to read and participate in discussions with smart, funny, decent folks about common interests. People talk about missing the articles/reviews, but for me it's really been the people discussing those things that have been the greater draw to this site. Other sites have had better articles than TR for a while now (except for DrFish's solar article -- that was awesome), but the discussion forums at other sites tend to be dumpster fires. For the most part, it's really the people who have made the difference here.

This was a special place and I'm sad to see it go, if indeed that's what's happening. Fingers crossed that this patient somehow makes a recovery, though

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:12 pm

Ludis video content was really nice. Loved the bigclive feel of the table view portions. I'd really love to see more of that, of course staying as a long-form style video.

I've withheld my opinion of recent events, and I have to say I really had my doubt about TRs new benefactors, but some of the content dripping out of the pipeline is nice to see. Now if only we could fix that damned front page...
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Not to rain on your parade, and it is nice that the new guys aren't interfering with content, but ludi's piece was something he contacted me about volunteering to produce in mid-June. What he created is awesome, but it doesn't pay the bills and may not exist if it wasn't offered gratis. That said, Renee was great about making him a WordPress account so he could get everything into the CMS himself and I'm confident that we could do the same thing for future contributors looking to help get TR back in fighting shape by writing up something they're an expert in. I'd be happy to manage that as some kind of ongoing series.

In summary, old-school TR is still looking out for itself, but at least new-school TR isn't getting in the way anymore than it already has.

I also got an update today that some of the bigger items from our wish-list are being worked on. Here's hoping for top comments and hot threads coming back soon.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Ludi’s work was fantastic. Loved the video too. They worked really well together. You could get 75% with either but both gives you the 100%. I definitely learned things.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 am

Philldoe wrote:
Ludis video content was really nice. Loved the bigclive feel of the table view portions.

Funny you should mention. I avoided referencing any other YouTubers in either segment because I can't necessarily endorse all of their content, but I have enjoyed some of BigClive's work in particular. More than once I've clicked one of his reviews because he was covering some random eBay gizmo that I had independently purchased for some project or another, but hadn't yet disassembled at the same depth as what he does.

The contraption I rigged to support and ring-light my Pixel over the bench was its own little slice of fun.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:37 am

drfish wrote:
...... I'm confident that we could do the same thing for future contributors looking to help get TR back in fighting shape by writing up something they're an expert in. I'd be happy to manage that as some kind of ongoing series.

In summary, old-school TR is still looking out for itself, but at least new-school TR isn't getting in the way anymore than it already has.

There is hope! I even think this could be a brilliant thing for TR. Host techie articles from the community. We are all experts at something. Of course some oversight or peer review might need to be established.

@ludi, I loved your article! Well done!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:34 am

tanker27 wrote:
drfish wrote:
...... I'm confident that we could do the same thing for future contributors looking to help get TR back in fighting shape by writing up something they're an expert in. I'd be happy to manage that as some kind of ongoing series.

There is hope! I even think this could be a brilliant thing for TR. Host techie articles from the community. We are all experts at something. Of course some oversight or peer review might need to be established.

@ludi, I loved your article! Well done!

I'm also intrigued by that idea of hosting articles from the community. I just really hope they'll improve the comment system for articles. I really liked the old system's approach to threading.

atari030
Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:32 pm

The ludi article today gave me hope...it was very well done, and reminiscent of the type of technical content we've come to expect from TR over the years.

I don't post, comment, or participate in this site as much as I'd like...but for an IT guy like me with an engineering background, this site provides a much needed haven of reason and comfort. Even if it only reflects some of its greatness sporadically going forward, I truly hope it is around to enjoy for years to come.

If only the new show runners would provide a brief word of site direction and an update to the community with some substance and sincerity behind it - that would sure go a long way to keep the loyal audience this site has had. They should have done that from the get go if they had any sense...but it feels like it's likely too late to recover from.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:05 am

Just wanted to throw out my thanks and encouragement for the stream of good content over the last week! And ludi's article was great!
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

barich
Gerbil

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:25 am

The horrible cloud solutions listicle is both exactly what I was expecting to happen and somehow also extremely disappointing. TR's been at death's door but I think it just opened it and walked through.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:28 pm

FYI to those that care, I've elected of my own accord to bow out of the front page comment game. Whatever you see or don't see there has nothing to do with me anymore.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Good call. Until the bipolar nature of TRs the front page stories works its self out I wouldn't want to be involved in that either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Sorry to hear that, Fish. I don't blame you. Ludi's article was really good. Well written and entertaining. The video was fun and educational.

Today's article, OMG. WTF was that? Where is the editorial touch/review? It's full of poorly written fluff. I don't blame the author. I blame the review of the content, or lack of it.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:15 pm

The author is the reviewer.