Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Something's different...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:33 pm

To elaborate on what morphine wrote, the old guard always reviews each others' posts.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 pm

morphine wrote:
The author is the reviewer.

That's bad in so many ways.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 pm

I meant for the article in discussion.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Rand
Gerbil

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 pm

drfish wrote:
Not to rain on your parade, and it is nice that the new guys aren't interfering with content, but ludi's piece was something he contacted me about volunteering to produce in mid-June. What he created is awesome, but it doesn't pay the bills and may not exist if it wasn't offered gratis. That said, Renee was great about making him a WordPress account so he could get everything into the CMS himself and I'm confident that we could do the same thing for future contributors looking to help get TR back in fighting shape by writing up something they're an expert in. I'd be happy to manage that as some kind of ongoing series.

In summary, old-school TR is still looking out for itself, but at least new-school TR isn't getting in the way anymore than it already has.

I also got an update today that some of the bigger items from our wish-list are being worked on. Here's hoping for top comments and hot threads coming back soon.

So I'm back visiting TR after a few weeks away to see if it can resurrect itself and.... that's kinda good news?
Old school TR is still hanging on, they might possibly hopefully not be completely ignoring the design issues, and new TR can be mostly ignored. Baby steps on the path to a very slow resurrection from attempted murder I hope.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Today's article, OMG. WTF was that?

That was the Internet version of a grilled cheese sandwich. It's not going to sustain you, but for a little while it can fool your body into thinking you've had real food by providing something that fills a little space and has a familiar texture.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:47 am

morphine wrote:
I meant for the article in discussion.

I got that. It's just so wrong. :(
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 am

Redocbew wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Today's article, OMG. WTF was that?

That was the Internet version of a grilled cheese sandwich. It's not going to sustain you, but for a little while it can fool your body into thinking you've had real food by providing something that fills a little space and has a familiar texture.

Or was it search engine fly paper? intended to bring in a new, bigger audience?

I wonder if the reason for lack of engagement with old readership is that the new owners have a (likely unrealistic) vision of pulling in a new readership that makes the old obsolete.

I predict TR will change ownership again within a couple of years.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:17 am

It's all about the Pentiums SEO, baby.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:10 am

drfish wrote:
FYI to those that care, I've elected of my own accord to bow out of the front page comment game. Whatever you see or don't see there has nothing to do with me anymore.

The front page layout and comments are too cumbersome to use. I come here once a week instead of front page everyday.

blastdoor
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
drfish wrote:
FYI to those that care, I've elected of my own accord to bow out of the front page comment game. Whatever you see or don't see there has nothing to do with me anymore.

The front page layout and comments are too cumbersome to use. I come here once a week instead of front page everyday.

Agreed -- it's just not very usable.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:40 pm

FYI www.tech-report.com stopped working the other day. I must have a really old bookmark...
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Redocbew

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:31 pm

blastdoor wrote:

It's all the same really. If I was researching cloud services, then that's exactly the kind of page I'd skim for two minutes before deciding "well, that's useless", moving on and forgetting I was ever there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Redocbew wrote:
blastdoor wrote:

It's all the same really. If I was researching cloud services, then that's exactly the kind of page I'd skim for two minutes before deciding "well, that's useless", moving on and forgetting I was ever there.

Yep. It's a list with zero content other than the fact that it's a list. I hope that this is just a bump in the road...but it feels like it's not going to be just one.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The forums are intact for now, but Fish already stated that the faceless overlords are going to bastardize these forums too.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the forums are funded by the frontpage, which is dead.

If you're still in denial about that, please re-read Renee's horrendous excrement explosion and remind yourself that these are the people who now own TechReport and make all of the executive decisions, seemingly without any input from the old team. That, to me, is final. They're just using us all at this point..

I mean, the site may survive under the new overlords, funded by a Taboola and Outbrain clickbait and SEO-harvesting junk for content, but that's not TechReport. That's the zombie I was talking about.

drfish said that?

I'm guessing the forum is low upkeep, so may be left alone. As long as it's here (in a reasonable format), why quit preemptively? Don't know what the future holds for the main site. Still wait and see, methinks. Maybe next week's BBQ will bring about some change, or more info.

PS: Taboola and Outbrain are yesterday's news. Zergnet is where it's at, especially with Blizzard behind it.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:59 pm

drfish wrote:
meerkt wrote:
drfish wrote:
The forums are here to stay. My understanding is that they are SEO gold. They may be migrated to a different platform

Uh oh. I thought phpBB was safe. I hope it's not going to turn into a JS-ridden infinite-scroll 5-topics-per-screen #-days-ago facsimile-of-the-current-homepage sort of thing.

Just speculation, but given their priorities, if another forum software offers better SEO/integration with WordPress, we're probably in for a ride. Just something to keep in mind. At least we know a forum is part of their plan.

I haven't heard anything different from what I speculated above/earlier.

I wouldn't bet on the BBQ bringing about any changes. There's no indication the new guys are interested in coming—which is honestly a shame and a relief at the same time. They would be welcome, but it would be awkward to say the least. No, instead of the galvanizing opportunity it could have been, I think the BBQ is going to be a wake. If you ever thought you might want to come to a TR BBQ, you NEED to make this one the one. If we have another one, it won't be the same, I know that for certain.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 pm

I really wish I had the time/wife acceptance factor/time to attend this year's TR BBQ. We've been doing vacation travel a lot recently and are pretty burned out on vacation hours. I'd love to shoot the **** with the TR supporters/reviewers/editors for a couple days.

If there's a TR BBQ next year (and I honestly hope there is) I hope we can make the thousand-plus mile trek to join the remaining loyal gerbils.

SecretSquirrel

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm in the same spot as Waco, and this weekend is my wife's b-day as well.

This is one of those times that it sucks to say "I told you so" with regards to the state of things. Been around the business world too long. It's very rare that I get surprised in a positive manner and this isn't one of those times.

--SS

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:18 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
This is one of those times that it sucks to say "I told you so" with regards to the state of things. Been around the business world too long. It's very rare that I get surprised in a positive manner and this isn't one of those times.

--SS

Yes, that's what's most important. You were right. Thank goodness. I can sleep better tonight.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Yeah, I figure it's best to actually let the patient die before burying the corpse. I've resigned myself to the possibility that a funeral may be close by, but it's not like I'm paying a dollar a click to post here or something. I can enjoy it for what it is as long as it lasts. There's been more major activity in the past six weeks than the previous three months before that, front page breakage notwithstanding.

Also, now that I've participated in the publication process from the backend, it's pretty clear that the CMS had to become something where all authors have editing privileges. Asking one volunteer to continue being the gateway for all final formatting and upload wasn't going to be a viable strategy going forward.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:36 am

Redocbew wrote:
That was the Internet version of a grilled cheese sandwich.

Obviously you've never had a GOOD Grilled Cheese Sandwich! Let me rectify that for you; from the culinary master himself: https://altonbrown.com/grilled-grilled-cheese/

8)

@drfish, your predicament is untenable and exhausting. And we, the community, probably didn't help. I do not blame you one bit.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:17 am

This is sad.

When I saw her first post (if it even is a real person), I went from checking the site every morning to stopping in once a week. Soon probably not be at all. Man I miss the old-old guard and reading their articles and the fun it was with people and their different personalities.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am

Not all of the newer was bad. Ludi's article on the 12V power supply was really educational. His presentation in the video was dry, but fit the overall style and allowed the humor the come out. I saw the dual format (written and video) and had hope. Then that "blog" happened.

EDIT: I should add that I don't think Funk is "old guard" but also very well done. Both have been forum members for a long time but are newer posters on the front page, since the initial sale at least.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:09 am

blastdoor wrote:
I predict TR will change ownership again within a couple of years.

Since I still can't comfortably read the new front page (for reasons) this is just a stab in the dark, but I predict the ownership will change in a year or less. Anyone want to start a pool?
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am

I wanted to make it at least through the barbecue, but you know what, **** this. These people refuse to cancel the recurring Stripe payments and they refuse to put the applet back on the site. It's been four weeks, and Renee has been extremely salty whenever it comes up, like it doesn't matter to them. It matters to me, in no small part because I'm about to get dinged for $75 in a couple weeks. I publicly quit the site in Slack this morning, and want nothing to do with the new owner. I signed no agreements when the site was purchased and they have exhausted my goodwill.

thedosbox
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I wanted to make it at least through the barbecue, but you know what, **** this. These people refuse to cancel the recurring Stripe payments and they refuse to put the applet back on the site. It's been four weeks, and Renee has been extremely salty whenever it comes up, like it doesn't matter to them.

Yeah, I'm done. I'll be emailing the support mailbox as a formality, but I'm not expecting it's being monitored. TR are going to get a disputed charge when mine comes up for renewal. I was willing to give the new TR a shot, but that content-less "52 best cloud services" listicle killed any hope of that (52!).

I want to thank the old-school TR folks for their efforts, and hope you all find new gigs soon.

crystall
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 am

I'm lucky that the credit card I used to support TR has already expired so when the time comes they won't be able to charge it. I'm really sad of seeing one of the sites I read for countless years going down like this. As for Renee Johnson she appears to be a freelance writer so I don't think that directing criticism - or anger - at her will achieve anything. She's certainly not in charge and whoever is in charge made sure not to show himself.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 am

She's very obviously (to those who have been in the staff channels) more than a freelance writer. She's been directing the "work" on the front page, too, and she's the one processing the refunds.

crystall
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
She's very obviously (to those who have been in the staff channels) more than a freelance writer. She's been directing the "work" on the front page, too, and she's the one processing the refunds.

Still do you think she has a say in the decisions of whoever bought the site?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 am

That would be speculation. All I'm commenting on is observed behavior.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I wanted to make it at least through the barbecue, but you know what, **** this. These people refuse to cancel the recurring Stripe payments and they refuse to put the applet back on the site. It's been four weeks, and Renee has been extremely salty whenever it comes up, like it doesn't matter to them. It matters to me, in no small part because I'm about to get dinged for $75 in a couple weeks. I publicly quit the site in Slack this morning, and want nothing to do with the new owner. I signed no agreements when the site was purchased and they have exhausted my goodwill.

:o
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!