Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
cygnus1
Gerbil
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:49 pm

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am

thedosbox wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I wanted to make it at least through the barbecue, but you know what, **** this. These people refuse to cancel the recurring Stripe payments and they refuse to put the applet back on the site. It's been four weeks, and Renee has been extremely salty whenever it comes up, like it doesn't matter to them.


Yeah, I'm done. I'll be emailing the support mailbox as a formality, but I'm not expecting it's being monitored. TR are going to get a disputed charge when mine comes up for renewal. I was willing to give the new TR a shot, but that content-less "52 best cloud services" listicle killed any hope of that (52!).

I want to thank the old-school TR folks for their efforts, and hope you all find new gigs soon.


Yeah, I sent that same email this morning. Was not an email I wanted to send, it didn't feel good at all. Damn shame it was necessary though.
 
Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:25 am

I've got till next March to get mine sorted out, but damn. That's frustrating knowing that the new owners don't care to even fix the subscription management part of the site.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 am

drfish wrote:
I haven't heard anything different from what I speculated above/earlier.

I wouldn't bet on the BBQ bringing about any changes. There's no indication the new guys are interested in coming—which is honestly a shame and a relief at the same time. They would be welcome, but it would be awkward to say the least. No, instead of the galvanizing opportunity it could have been, I think the BBQ is going to be a wake. If you ever thought you might want to come to a TR BBQ, you NEED to make this one the one. If we have another one, it won't be the same, I know that for certain.
Wish I could come but the wife and I are swamped with our jobs. I have no help at my lab to let me get away for a few days.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro
 
Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:43 am

Waco wrote:
I've got till next March to get mine sorted out, but damn. That's frustrating knowing that the new owners don't care to even fix the subscription management part of the site.
I paid my $86 for the gold sub at the beginning of June. I sent an E-mail about it to subscription services. No reply and no action. I'll be watching to cancel it next year. I wonder if its too late to dispute the payment for no service.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro
 
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:49 am

Well I'm glad my card expired also, guess the person they hired on fiver to redesign the site used up all $5 and they didn't have any more budget.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9414
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That would be speculation. All I'm commenting on is observed behavior.


Well so far she hasn't updated her Linkedin to include TR.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2712
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: North DFW suburb...
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
This is one of those times that it sucks to say "I told you so" with regards to the state of things. Been around the business world too long. It's very rare that I get surprised in a positive manner and this isn't one of those times.

--SS

Yes, that's what's most important. You were right. Thank goodness. I can sleep better tonight.


Yeah, I suppose it came off that way, but that's not really how I meant it. I suppose it was more a word of warning to all those bright eye, positive, "things will get fixed, just give it time" types. Damage control is intensely time sensitive. Communication is important. Lack of either is telling.

We've got all sorts of folks in the forums. My hope is that some subset of them will learn something from this transition, and this thread, and take it into the wider business/tech world.

--SS
 
layerup
Gerbil
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA - A Town Entirely Too Large For Me

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:42 pm

drfish wrote:
Even though this one was a bit of a gamble, it was the only one that left TR independent. The new owners may not be the most personable folks so far (to put it mildly), but there's no indication that the new stuff they want to do to make the site profitable will somehow obviate what TR has been doing at lest since Jeff left and hopefully it will lead to more than that if we can bring on some more writers and attract more hardware to review.


After the 'expression' of current frustration with new management, it's beginning to look like an independent TR maybe isn't what is best for the readership. Knowing what we know now, does anyone who represents/has represented the site still believe what happened was the best course of action?

I'll be honest, I stopped aggressively reading the front page after Scott left, because I never loved the way Jeff handled himself professionally, but I have always appreciated the forums on this site, but as a passive reader only. it sure appears that many of the users have left the forums, and I'm sure as the days go by, many more will. This is the only interesting topic left, and when the comments stop flowing into this thread, I'm sure that I too will stop visiting this site once and for all.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25310
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:46 pm

layerup wrote:
After the 'expression' of current frustration with new management, it's beginning to look like an independent TR maybe isn't what is best for the readership. Knowing what we know now, does anyone who represents/has represented the site still believe what happened was the best course of action?

Good or bad, there need to be no regrets. I'm confident that Adam did what he thought was best with the available data. Just because more data has come to light since then doesn't make his decision at the time the wrong choice. It's a shame, but we pick ourselves up, we move on.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 pm

layerup wrote:
Knowing what we know now, does anyone who represents/has represented the site still believe what happened was the best course of action?


I know of two alternatives, one was closing up shop and leaving Adam in significant debt. The other I can't detail, but it was guaranteed bad for TR in the long term. So, the gamble was made.
 
layerup
Gerbil
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA - A Town Entirely Too Large For Me

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm

drfish wrote:
I know of two alternatives, one was closing up shop and leaving Adam in significant debt. The other I can't detail, but it was guaranteed bad for TR in the long term. So, the gamble was made.


derFunkenstein wrote:
Good or bad, there need to be no regrets. I'm confident that Adam did what he thought was best with the available data. Just because more data has come to light since then doesn't make his decision at the time the wrong choice. It's a shame, but we pick ourselves up, we move on.


Unfortunate to hear, but of course it makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

One last thing, what's the status of the RTX super review? Is there enough goodwill for this to be completed and posted by the expected authors, or has the review passed onto other hands, or perhaps even nowhere at all?

It's a shame to lose the tools that performed these analyses to the new owners, but that's where we are.
 
blastdoor
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I'm curious -- are there other tech sites people are spending more time at during this TR Dark Age? If so, which ones?

I'm especially curious to know if folks know of another site with TR-esque discussion forums (I mean in terms of content/people, not the mechanics of the site)?
 
anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Northern, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Haven't checked this thread in over 2 weeks now, and from the last 3 pages it doesn't seem positive.

Ben/Fish
What direction is this headed?
Will TR eventually get to looks something like this
https://www.techpowerup.com/
or more similar to the original TR?

Homepage is still pretty bland and doesn't seem tidy/organized/other? Maybe that's small peanuts compared to everything else happening?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
 
anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Northern, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:54 pm

blastdoor wrote:
I'm curious -- are there other tech sites people are spending more time at during this TR Dark Age? If so, which ones?

I'm especially curious to know if folks know of another site with TR-esque discussion forums (I mean in terms of content/people, not the mechanics of the site)?


I would say everyone.
Techpowerup is my main now, with sides of smallnetbuilder, tftcentral, and tweakguides for general news.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
 
drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm

layerup wrote:
One last thing, what's the status of the RTX super review? Is there enough goodwill for this to be completed and posted by the expected authors, or has the review passed onto other hands, or perhaps even nowhere at all?

It's a shame to lose the tools that performed these analyses to the new owners, but that's where we are.


Zak is working on the Super review and the Navi review. In short, Adam was able to get Gigabyte and EVGA to send it a 2070 Super and 2080 Super respectively. Zak wanted a 2060 Super for the review as well, so he bought one himself. Coincidentally, the 2060 arrived yesterday but it wasn't the Super that he ordered so it has to be returned and replaced, that's going to add another week or so delay to both reviews, but I think they are mostly done otherwise.

anotherengineer wrote:
What direction is this headed?
Will TR eventually get to looks something like this
https://www.techpowerup.com/
or more similar to the original TR?


I think the best taste of what's to come in the short term is right here. I hope that in the medium term the new guys are able to bring on some more writers and pull off the diversified coverage that's been talked up. Maybe, in the long term that will turn into something that includes content like we're used to, but they are still trying to get their feet under themselves. If it doesn't pay, you won't see it.
 
DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 am

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:19 pm

All of this is really sad. I hope to keep in contact with you all after the BBQ but I don't think I can bring myself to support this site as a reader or subscriber. It's really painful and depressing to see all the hard work that so many put in, for free, be shat all over. I'm looking forward to seeing you all at least one more time.
 
themattman
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: PA

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm

I haven't posted in a long time, but I was originally brought into the site back in 2007 by this exact article:

https://techreport.com/review/12772/weighing-the-value-of-todays-processors/

I still remember driving around on a golf cart at my job on a golf course going through my head over and over what parts I was going to get and why ("Gotta have a quad core!...Do I wait for the Q9450 or get the Q6600?"). I loved reading the reviews because they read more like a, erm, report. The reviews felt like they were done "right", and especially when the Inside the Second article dropped it seemed like all the other sites were doing it wrong. From the SSD survival series to the podcast, there were a lot of really smart and cool people, especially on the forums. I remember getting really good advice from users like JustAnEngineer (and seeing responses to other posts) at a time as a high school teenager there weren't as many options to communicate as there are today. I'd literally make the time to listen to every single podcast and couldn't wait when a new CPU or GPU reviewed by Scott was live, it was like sitting down to watch a movie.

I hope that we can archive the old articles/forum in some way since it would be a shame to lose all that good work. Is there a backup somewhere in case the site closes? Also I'm going to find the time to thank Scott, Cyril, Geoff, and Jordan for all that they did (and the stability) over the years.

...also I'm in the market to upgrade my Nvidia 1050 card (it was Black Friday 2017 and prices were ridiculous, it was only about $100 after rebate!), so I'm really, really excited for the new GPU review.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

Image
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25310
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Something's different...

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 pm

I've been writing the occasional review for HotHardware for a month now. The forums are pretty dead, though, so there's not any engagement. FWIW I think the people in charge there are genuinely good people, good to work with, at least. If people were to occupy a forum, I'd pick that one since it's already set up, just needs a community to populate it.

I also read Anand and TPU, but again, I'm not hanging out in those forums, either.

Right now the forums I've been spending time on the most outside of TR is Atari Age.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
crystall
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 am

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:47 am

themattman wrote:
I hope that we can archive the old articles/forum in some way since it would be a shame to lose all that good work. Is there a backup somewhere in case the site closes?


The Internet Archive has crawled the site all the way back to 2003: https://web.archive.org/web/*/techreport.com
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 am

Though the Web Archive snapshots might be partial, and I'm guessing especially in the forums.
Might need a directed effort, something like Archiveteam.
 
blastdoor
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I've been writing the occasional review for HotHardware for a month now. The forums are pretty dead, though, so there's not any engagement. FWIW I think the people in charge there are genuinely good people, good to work with, at least. If people were to occupy a forum, I'd pick that one since it's already set up, just needs a community to populate it.


A new homeland for gerbil refugees?

Are others up for trying a migration?

In 100% seriousness, I would especially hope chuckula would help settle a new gerbil world — he has a unique voice. My neural net has become accustomed to his input patterns.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4668
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:32 am

meerkt wrote:
Though the Web Archive snapshots might be partial, and I'm guessing especially in the forums.
Might need a directed effort, something like Archiveteam.


Image
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:31 am

Hmmm, you can talk about archiving but my understanding is that this site has been sold lock stock and barrel. You can't archive what you no longer own; that would be theft, eh?
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro
 
The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:28 am

.
Last edited by The Egg on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm

blastdoor wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I've been writing the occasional review for HotHardware for a month now. The forums are pretty dead, though, so there's not any engagement. FWIW I think the people in charge there are genuinely good people, good to work with, at least. If people were to occupy a forum, I'd pick that one since it's already set up, just needs a community to populate it.


A new homeland for gerbil refugees?

Are others up for trying a migration?

In 100% seriousness, I would especially hope chuckula would help settle a new gerbil world — he has a unique voice. My neural net has become accustomed to his input patterns.
I'm down with the idea but maybe we should ask politely if we would be welcome? Also, I know most of you think Ars Technica is mostly fluff but they have a long standing forum that seems pretty well run. Its been a while since I dropped it there but I used to hang around there a lot. Along with Lost Circuits, Aces Hardware and 2CPU (who's forum by the way, still exists).
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro
 
blastdoor
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Something's different...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
blastdoor wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I've been writing the occasional review for HotHardware for a month now. The forums are pretty dead, though, so there's not any engagement. FWIW I think the people in charge there are genuinely good people, good to work with, at least. If people were to occupy a forum, I'd pick that one since it's already set up, just needs a community to populate it.


A new homeland for gerbil refugees?

Are others up for trying a migration?

In 100% seriousness, I would especially hope chuckula would help settle a new gerbil world — he has a unique voice. My neural net has become accustomed to his input patterns.
I'm down with the idea but maybe we should ask politely if we would be welcome? Also, I know most of you think Ars Technica is mostly fluff but they have a long standing forum that seems pretty well run. Its been a while since I dropped it there but I used to hang around there a lot. Along with Lost Circuits, Aces Hardware and 2CPU (who's forum by the way, still exists).

I like Ars, but it’s just a different kind of place. One challenge is that it’s just too big. But I agree that it’s an option.
 
drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Something's different...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:11 am

Some new information has been posted recently, in case you missed it:
https://techreport.com/contribute/
https://techreport.com/about/

I'm not aware of any existing writers contributing to what's being communicated here.
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Something's different...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am

Pet peeve: Inconsistently styled/formatted names. The Tech Report, The TechReport, or TechReport?

drfish wrote:
https://techreport.com/contribute/


Strange stuff:
Do not link to any questionable sources or industries, such as pharmaceuticals, casinos, payday loans, or pornography.


I really don't get the hostile and elaborate "HOW TO ANNOY US" section.

Typos: "benefit from from all things", "down right"

And, uh...
Our readership is tech-savvy. Don’t talk down to them.
Last edited by meerkt on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
 
blastdoor
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Something's different...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:01 am

drfish wrote:
Some new information has been posted recently, in case you missed it:
https://techreport.com/contribute/
https://techreport.com/about/

I'm not aware of any existing writers contributing to what's being communicated here.


Under "Our Focus", it says

We cover Hardware and Software…exclusively.


Then, under "Our Verticals," it says:

Hardware – We love hardware reviews of different chips, devices, setups, rigs, etc.
Software – We do deep dives on some of the best software there is to offer.
Connected Devices & Smart Homes – This is where the stories of wearables, home IoT, sensors, and all connected endpoints live.
Data/Security – The foundation of IoT is security, data, and privacy, and here great new innovations will happen.
Health – From hospitals to people’s homes, IoT will bring together health and data in new ways.
Platforms – The underlying technologies driving the future of the IoT are the platforms being built today.
General News – We love news on what’s happening in the tech world as it relates to the TechReport site.


So.... I guess they have a broad definition of what constitutes Hardware and Software?

Not that I think TR is or should be "exclusively" about Hardware and Software. It's just a seemingly odd and stark contradiction on the same page.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25310
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Something's different...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 am

Same
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JustAnEngineer and 3 guests
GZIP: On