just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Something's different...

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:17 am

Meadows wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
regurgitation of a bunch of other articles on OTHER tech sites

The title said as much, it was a "review roundup", so that's what I expected when I didn't click.

Indeed. It was a "news aggregation" style post, and as such, wasn't bad.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 am

Even in this site's heyday, TR is not the target audience for Epyc and probably wouldn't have gotten one. 3rd gen Threadripper, OTOH...*sigh*
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 am

conlusio wrote:
I've cleared my posting history to the best of my ability.

That's a shame. Like you said, the posts are for the internet at large/posterity. That hasn't changed, and now they're gone.

I've been ... far less active than 99.99%.

Actually... forum-only, you're about less active than 14.2% of users with at least 1 post, and 5.3% of all users.

tanker27 wrote:
in her vomitus.

The site and style changes are unpleasant, but why ad hominemize it?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 am

tanker27 wrote:

NINJA edit: BTW that article wasnt even an article it was a vile regurgitation of a bunch of other articles on OTHER tech sites. At least she hyperlinked those articles in her vomitus. I wonder if she even understand what it even means from a technical side.

TR has been doing review roundups for literally ever. And TR has, afaik, not DONE SERVER PLATFORM REVIEWS.
guys, there have been plenty of things to be annoyed about. Let's stick to REAL things, okay? This is nonsense, tanker

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am

As George Harrison said, all things must pass. The older I get, the more I find this to be true.

I lol'd at the John Rampton website. I withhold further comment, and bid TR good day.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:34 am

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I wanted to make it at least through the barbecue, but you know what, **** this. These people refuse to cancel the recurring Stripe payments and they refuse to put the applet back on the site. It's been four weeks, and Renee has been extremely salty whenever it comes up, like it doesn't matter to them. It matters to me, in no small part because I'm about to get dinged for $75 in a couple weeks. I publicly quit the site in Slack this morning, and want nothing to do with the new owner. I signed no agreements when the site was purchased and they have exhausted my goodwill.

:o

FYI, most Banks allow you to see and block recurring payments in their apps or on their site. I've used it in this exact situation with other sites.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am

Does it seem odd to anyone else that many of you are here using TR's free to use but not free to host forums to repeatedly say F you? I get you're annoyed about your payment, ben, but as you were told specifically in slack when you brought it up and i posted on the front page you can cancel your sub in the emails you got when you signed up.

If TR has become as terrible as you suggest why are you here every day? Oh the forums and the friends? New owners haven't touched those, but they're still paying to host them.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:55 am

sweatshopking wrote:
This is nonsense, tanker

Sure. Ok. Also while you are at it; why are some front page articles have commenting closed? Scared of something?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01 pm

i'm guessing that those are an attempt to prevent further breaches of posting rule #2 and rule #10, which this thread has breached many times. Does anyone ACTUALLY have anything to say on those stories besides "i hate this and f you?" TR has rules, and has for more than a decade.
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11214

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:31 pm

I don't really have anything awful to say about Renee's Four Essentials article. It's a skim of aggregated links, and the sort of thing that a whole lot of sites push out reflexively as grist for the content mill. You can bemoan that TR's doing What Other Sites Do Now, but it's activity that keeps modern sites alive and search engines paying attention. Nobody should get nasty and personal about it, and some of the screeching and venom I've seen about it is gross and uncalled for.

Do I wish it were more on brand for TR's glory days? I guess. But if you're going to be bothered by something, the new ownership's continued near-silence is a lot more worrying and strange.
Media: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56, Win10 Pro
Science: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, [...], Xubuntu 18.04 [offline]
Server: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro

Read my words at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:49 pm

TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF TR. I've written a couple of freelance things for the site (almost 100% of them as a volunteer as i knew the financial situation the site was in), but i'm not now and have never been an employee of techreport. the following is just my personal view:

Concupiscence wrote:
I don't really have anything awful to say about Renee's Four Essentials article. It's a skim of aggregated links, and the sort of thing that a whole lot of sites push out reflexively as grist for the content mill. You can bemoan that TR's doing What Other Sites Do Now, but it's activity that keeps modern sites alive and search engines paying attention. Nobody should get nasty and personal about it, and some of the screeching and venom I've seen about it is gross and uncalled for.

exactly my position. Yeah, i loved the old TR, but adam was paying for it out of his own pocket because it was ACTIVELY LOSING MONEY. that's not sustainable. New owners have kept the forums, and i'd rather not have the forums become a place where people attack the new owners. that's just ASKING for them to shut them down. Most sites have already ditched forums. If TR is going to survive we need new revenue and some of that isn't my favorite thing either. It is what it is.

I know that Renee was shocked and hurt by the reaction she received here. It was uncalled for, and i don't think they had a plan for it. She deserved better than she got, after all, she's simply trying to make the site profitable.
There are plenty of other sites for people to frequent if they hate this one now. I get that some people just can't take the changes. There is, however, no excuse to sitting around here slagging off the site and the new owners. i wouldn't come into your house and talk about how much you suck because i liked the people who owned the house before you did. We can all agree that would be ridiculous and you'd obviously force me to leave if didn't treat you with some respect.
if you can't stand the site today i honestly wish you well, but you should probably find somewhere else to frequent. I love you all and i've wasted so very many hours (both paid and unpaid) on this site with you bunch of idiots. I'll be sad to see you go, but it doesn't make sense to hang around here. For those that can stick around and see how it turns out, then let's buck up, click some ads, and keep posting interesting stuff in the forums and commenting on the (badly needing tweaks) story comment sections. TR needs more content. anyone a decent writer?

thedosbox
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm

FWIW, I emailed Renee as per the introduction story to cancel my subscription. Got a reply yesterday saying it had been cancelled.

As an aside, the "vomitus" comment is why I won't be missing some aspects of the old TR either. I don't think much of the new editorial direction, but that sort of comment is a reminder of why I tried to stick to cat jokes. I don't blame the new owners for disabling comments. Nobody in their right mind wants their site to look like reddit.

Good luck and thanks again to all the TR old timers. Fish's humour and image selection was always appreciated, as were Jeff and Zak's efforts in turning around in-depth reviews on short time periods.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:58 pm

The fact that it's far easier and more profitable to create noise than signal shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. The problem is the people behind the scenes don't seem that interested in separating the two, and I guess you can't really blame them if most people don't seem to care anyway. I'm speaking generally here, and not just about TR. Once that happens it's not surprising that it becomes difficult to find any real discussions going on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DrD
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:23 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Bigbloke wrote:
Twenty bucks says Renee didn't write the Epyc roundup article.

NINJA edit: BTW that article wasnt even an article it was a vile regurgitation of a bunch of other articles on OTHER tech sites. At least she hyperlinked those articles in her vomitus. I wonder if she even understand what it even means from a technical side.

Long time lurker and laterally subscriber. One of the attractions of TR for me, aside from the great review articles, TR system guide and forum posts, were the daily shortbreads which sadly became less frequent but still interesting more recently. I suspect many people enjoyed them. Were they not "aggregated links" to other tech sites? Great for me to have someone gather together interesting articles from around without me having to discover them for myself.

I'll stick around for a bit to see what transpires with time.

ps. My subscription will lapse because the card I used has expired. When will the subscription applet return? I am not really comfortable sending card details/address over email.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:28 pm

subscriber applet is supposed to be back in the nearish future.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:30 pm

I have to say that yes, some of the venom spewed here was over the top. And yes, I should've made an attempt to rein it in; as one of the forum admins, I should've done so, and I apologize for not doing that. TBH, I was in a state of shock/dismay/denial at the way the whole site transition went down. There were days where I just couldn't bring myself to even open this thread. Just too damn depressing.

That said, it's not fair to lay this all at Renee's feet. And public ad hominem attacks are never appropriate.

While I am not particularly optimistic, I still hope that something can be salvaged from this mess.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I have to say that yes, some of the venom spewed here was over the top. And yes, I should've made an attempt to rein it in; as one of the forum admins, I should've done so, and I apologize for not doing that.

then let's do it going forward and let's clean up the ones in the past which should have been cleaned up. I'm not a forum mod, that's not a thing i can do. As possibly one of the founders of this site i'll work as long as i can to keep it going.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:02 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
I know that Renee was shocked and hurt by the reaction she received here. It was uncalled for, and i don't think they had a plan for it. She deserved better than she got, after all, she's simply trying to make the site profitable.

A late twenty something freelance writer wihtout a deep tech background gets put in place as EIC of a highly technical site and as a first post puts up a rather tone deaf piece that points out the (obvious) site change. That she was surprised by the reaction and the way it spiraled points out the lack of understanding, effort and planning that went into the transition. I don't actually fault her that much, but the new owners who supposedly make their livings as communicators and who have been involved in multiple startups with both successes and failures should have been intensely aware of what would happen.

There were a lot of people pointing out that some simple communications regarding who, what, how, and maybe a bit of why, would probably have headed off the angry hoards. Instead, all the visible actions people saw just fanned the flames. Generic listicles are annoying but I expect that most of us understand the dynamics in play with respect to driving traffic and funding the site. May not like it or agree with it, but at least can understand it. A simple explanation that such things are, in fact, helping keep the site alive and funding deeper articles that we all like would have gone a long way. In fact, pointing out that such articles explicitly don't meet the normal contributor guidelines and that those guidelines are for in-depth posts meant to provide real content, would also help things.

In the world of internet uproars and social media mobbing, this has actually been pretty tame. Some jabs have been made (including by me), but the ones I'm aware of have generally been pointing out the disconnect or perceived hypocrisy between statements and actions and total lack of communications (drfish's valiant efforts not-withstanding). While there has definitely been some trolling, though at least on topic if not particularly constructive, TR is a "community" site. Yes, it's a business, and yes it's not owned by the community and the owners are free to do with as they wish, but any desire to maintain some of that community means actively engaging with and listening and responding. You won't be able to make them happy all the time, but at least engage.

As to Renee, I don't actually have a problem with her being EIC. In most content production organizations, the EIC is actually more business focused and may not actually be and expert in the content produced. So long as they have enough background to understand what's important and what's not and to call BS when needed, that's sufficient. Otherwise, I would recommend she read this thread and use it as a learning experience and post an update introducing herself and explaining what she can. She's the public face of TR.

--SS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Great post SS. TR has a pretty steep learning curve to say the least. I hope communication will improve, but posts like yours prove that people "get it."

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I agree with SS and drfish. Shame on me. Curious point though, Where did Conlusio's post go? >.>
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I agree with SS and drfish. Shame on me. Curious point though, Where did Conlusio's post go? >.>

not sure, i'm not a mod and idk what post you're referring to. That being said if it did break the rules then i'm sure our capable mods have rectified it.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

not sure, i'm not a mod and idk what post you're referring to. That being said if it did break the rules then i'm sure our capable mods have rectified it.

He said he was scrubbing himself and his post history away as best he could. Maybe he went full tilt.
Media: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56, Win10 Pro
Science: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, [...], Xubuntu 18.04 [offline]
Server: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro

Read my words at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Can anonymous or pseudonymous contributions be accepted to Techreport?

I might consider writing up my hobby experience with ROCm / Vega64 if it interests the greater audience of Techreport. A sample of my writing style is here: https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/12 ... n-AMD-CPUs

My real name professionally is used by the company I work for to secure contracts. As such, I prefer to only write under pseudonyms online. Writing for a website like this could be construed as a conflict of interest by my boss (True Story: I've gotten in trouble before for StackOverflow contributions, let alone a full on web-publication). Or... something like that. Honestly, I never understood why I got in trouble, but that's how my line of business is like. I'm not trying to be anonymous, but I'd prefer to keep a degree of separation between my professional work and my contributions to communities I participate in. At least, enough of a separation to make things difficult for my bosses to find out about my writing.

Morally speaking, ROCm / GPU Programming has nothing to do with my professional work experience. So my bosses shouldn't have any issue with it. But hell, the StackOverflow questions I answered had nothing to do with my professional work either and they still got mad at me. Soooo.... yeah... real name isn't going to work.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
He said he was scrubbing himself and his post history away as best he could. Maybe he went full tilt.

I don't think normal users can delete posts? He didn't delete his old posts, only emptied them out.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
I might consider writing up my hobby experience with ROCm / Vega64 if it interests the greater audience of Techreport. A sample of my writing style is here: https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/12 ... n-AMD-CPUs

That was a pretty damn good article!

Concupiscence wrote:

That's right. I guess. I hadnt finished reading it. Just wondering no inference here.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:42 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
She deserved better than she got

Did she, though? I don't think she did. She's an adult. She can put 2 plus 2 together. The feedback has been explicit and difficult to misinterpret. If she wants readers to look up to her, she's going to have to finally act like she's responsible for both the place and where it's going.

The fact you had to do (or felt the need to do) her job for her (i.e. introduce all the new staff, lay out plans, be honest and transparent), a month late, when you're not even an employee, is simply a disgraceful situation for any publication, especially one held to such standards as this one.

Now I don't presume to know why Jeff opted to have his byline erased, but if it were me, I wouldn't want this site on my resume anymore either.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Whilst the front page and forum index are scrubbed from my bookmarks, this thread still gets checked because it hasn't rolled off my recent list and I'm still occasionally checking it in the hope that things might start moving in a positive direction.

Knocking back a glass of red and poking my tablet whilst I cook dinner, I spot this at the bottom of the page:

Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Meadows wrote:
Now I don't presume to know why Jeff opted to have his byline erased, but if it were me, I wouldn't want this site on my resume anymore either.

Well... see my comment about my real name and why I will only contribute to this site if I remain anonymous or pseudo-anonymous.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
My real name professionally is used by the company I work for to secure contracts. As such, I prefer to only write under pseudonyms online. Writing for a website like this could be construed as a conflict of interest by my boss (True Story: I've gotten in trouble before for StackOverflow contributions, let alone a full on web-publication). Or... something like that. Honestly, I never understood why I got in trouble, but that's how my line of business is like. I'm not trying to be anonymous, but I'd prefer to keep a degree of separation between my professional work and my contributions to communities I participate in. At least, enough of a separation to make things difficult for my bosses to find out about my writing.

It depends on your company and what your bosses care about. Some companies want to keep their employees identities as part of their brand. Its part of the NDA-documents you sign when you join these companies.

I don't know how widespread the practice is. But its affected me personally. Professional life and office politics sucks, but it does get me $$$$. So I'll play by the stupid rules as long as they pay me appropriately.

EDIT: My bet is that Jeff has signed a similar NDA, and it covers his "off time" intellectual property and maybe even identity (for branding purposes). Obviously, articles written before he joined his new employer are exempt, but perhaps the old articles were causing enough trouble with his bosses it'd be simpler if his name were taken down.

Xolore
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Meadows wrote:
sweatshopking wrote:
She deserved better than she got
Did she, though? I don't think she did...

I mean, if you want to heap high expectations on a new person I suppose that's valid. Some of the flack Renee has caught hasn't been about the things you said though. I think it's a stretch to claim it's all been fair.

I'd appreciate a bit more communication as well, but it might be a lot to ask until the last of the torches and pitchforks are put firmly away. I'm don't blame Renee if it seems like she's hiding under her desk a bit. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

On a more technical side...I did notice the smaller indents on the comments. It may not be a full solution but I think it helps a little.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Speaking of caching, the comments under sweatshopking's last article are again missing the thumb counters and his byline has reverted to, er, sweatshopking after previously having shown his full name.