Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: Something's different...

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 am

For those who haven't checked it out yet, Xolore's blue theme is pretty awesome and has been updated recently.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:56 am

drfish wrote:
For those who haven't checked it out yet, Xolore's blue theme is pretty awesome and has been updated recently.

Unfortunately it seems that the featured articles have white text (with drop shadows) on white background now. While drop-shadowed text is 1990s retro, it saves the theme from being totally unusable for featured articles. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Xolore
Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Between work and home I get a transparent gradient on one and a white background at the other. Not sure what causes it to give me the white background vs the gradient even using the same browser with the same extensions on both computers, but I still need to fix the white background thing. Sorry about that. I think it looks ok if you're lucky enough to not get that annoying white backdrop.

The drop shadow is partly my doing just trying to make the text stand out more on the gradient style backdrop when the picture behind it is bright. Styling text on pictures is a bit tricky.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:28 pm

I've seen it both ways, currently though, it's perfect.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm

drfish wrote:
I've seen it both ways, currently though, it's perfect.

This is what I see: https://imgur.com/a/xGo361v

I just re-checked, and there's no update available, since I updated this morning.

edit: nevermind. Ctrl+Shift+R fixed it in Chrome.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Are we buzzfeed for IT buyers now? "3 tips to help tech leaders pare down their suppliers"? Really? The tips are 1) have goals, 2) think about users, and 3) buy Conga Contracts software.

A Middle Manager Bought A Server. You Won't Believe What Happened Next!
VMWare's New Acquisition in GIFs
Earn $20k per month at home!
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:42 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
VMWare's New Acquisition in GIFs

I prefer APNG.

davidbowser
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Yan wrote:
In the article Contribute to TechReport, the section "HOW TO ANNOY US" is a disaster. It should never have been posted.

My contribution to the discussion would be that the section lists both

We don’t cover apps.

and oddly

We do deep dives on some of the best software there is to offer.

As someone that works for a pretty good sized software company, I don't think this makes logical sense. Since when did "apps" and "software" diverge?

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 pm

I really don't appreciate these brainless '3 top ways' article types that Renee has been putting out, and it's especially telling that she disables comments for all of these. I don't think any business/IT executive worth his salt even pays attention to these kinds of articles anyway.

I frequent lots of sites that don't need to put out articles like that to make money. Gamersnexus I've mentioned more than once. Anandtech is still putting out quality articles. Servethehome could be a new bastion. Phoronix is great for real Linux stuff. Hackaday is just great inspiration overall.

It's just sad that TR has lost faith in the idea that quality content can still sell. This ideology loss is in fact the most disappointing thing about the handover.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

Crayon Shin Chan

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Looks like everybody else noticed this a month before and nothing's been done about it. It really was a pity, TR was with me since the Athlon XP days.

I'm glad I got to interact with you guys, see you perhaps on the arch linux forums or in a crypto forum somewhere, if you use the same nick as here I'll PM you :D I'll check back now and then to see how the ship is sinking, I suppose.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
It's just sad that TR has lost faith in the idea that quality content can still sell. This ideology loss is in fact the most disappointing thing about the handover.

It wasn't selling. At least, not well enough to keep the lights on. That's why the site got sold. :cry:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
I really don't appreciate these brainless '3 top ways' article types that Renee has been putting out, and it's especially telling that she disables comments for all of these.

If you can make a comment about anybody's post except one by the editor-in-chief, well, draw you own conclusions. :-(

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

It wasn't selling. At least, not well enough to keep the lights on. That's why the site got sold. :cry:

That's because there weren't enough of it and TechReport was afraid to find extra content using existing hardware ;-)

For example, take a look at Gamers Nexus. They got the AMD cards, they did review of them using games. They did not stop at that, though - they went further and disassembled the cards, discussing cooling system design and exposing the flaws in one of them:
https://youtu.be/morJq0HJoCc
This is a unique content - you show people something other sites which just run benchmarks and throw charts at you do not show, using the hardware you already got.

Of course this is a pointless discussion now since Tech Report is being turned into generic tips blog similar to ReadWrite (which is something that was perfectly clear the moment the site changed to WordPress and articles with list of random stuff started to appear).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:44 pm

The SEO articles aren't meant to be read by the Mark 1 mod 0 eyeball, so in that regard it makes sense that the comments are shut off.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Redocbew

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 pm

Yeah... and if that video is from the period of time I'm thinking about, then GN also had someone in the office literally 24 hours a day for at least a week while they were doing that. I wouldn't have done that even if they paid let alone on a volunteer basis. Would you?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Crayon Shin Chan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

Exactly what JohnC said.

I love Gamersnexus' tips on what's actually going on with the closed loop liquid coolers. Analyses of VRM on motherboards. I met someone who chose a motherboard because Buildzoid had analyzed it. They tried to grind down a R9 Fury X cooler and failed, but the story was worth a hoot at least playing in the background while you're doing the dishes.

Techreport reviews have always been Introduction, architecture, test setup, benchmark and conclusion. TR's architecture analysis was never as good as Anandtech, and countless other sites still did the same pattern, but why did I come to TR? Because of the community, and because the articles were written by people who weren't just churning out words.

That's my honest opinion. At best, TR's articles were only on par with the other benchmarking websites out there, and I always still headed to Anandtech for the real architecture analysis, and back then RealWorldTech. I am not alone in sharing this sentiment (as shown by dropping subscriber count) I am just the only one who actually says it out loud. If you think TR had quality articles, you just didn't look objectively around you and get out of the echo chamber.

Think about it - nVidia is already good enough at matching product names with performance levels. We're not going to have a Duron 900 is 90% of a Thunderbird but half the price situation these days, which is what the benchmarks are all about. Now it's about the finer details, like why is everybody advertising more phases? What's really going on there? How's the BIOS? What happens if I take the "thermal armor" off the motherboard? Does the SSD heatsink really help? What's behind the recent trend of having integrated motherboard back panels on the high end models? Is the EFI only good looking, or is it buggy when I try to use the EFI features? How is that auto-OC feature in the BIOS determining stability anyway? How does Asus/MSI/Gigabyte do it?

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah... and if that video is from the period of time I'm thinking about, then GN also had someone in the office literally 24 hours a day for at least a week while they were doing that. I wouldn't have done that even if they paid let alone on a volunteer basis. Would you?

Let me guess - you're an employee in a large company/government, and you've never had your own startup in your life? This is what people do when they're building their own baby.

Redocbew

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 am

I'm well aware. I left the corporate job years ago, and I've been an independent coder for hire ever since. I've never needed to work more than 55-60 hours in a week ever since going independent, but I don't run a hardware review site. My point was it's a useless comparison. Anyone who thinks TR being sold could have been avoided by willpower alone hasn't been reading this thread very carefully.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 am

Not going to make a big post out of this, but it's really pretty simple. The way TR wanted to run wasn't sustainable, full stop.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

Think about it - nVidia is already good enough at matching product names with performance levels. We're not going to have a Duron 900 is 90% of a Thunderbird but half the price situation these days, which is what the benchmarks are all about. Now it's about the finer details, like why is everybody advertising more phases? What's really going on there? How's the BIOS? What happens if I take the "thermal armor" off the motherboard? Does the SSD heatsink really help? What's behind the recent trend of having integrated motherboard back panels on the high end models? Is the EFI only good looking, or is it buggy when I try to use the EFI features? How is that auto-OC feature in the BIOS determining stability anyway? How does Asus/MSI/Gigabyte do it?

Yes, exactly this. Anyone can just run a set of benchmarks and be done with motherboard review, but it is much more interesting when you start to go beyond that and start analyzing other things, like how practical is the fancy heatsinks on various modules or what different options in BIOS can do, or what issues you may be able to find with some of them. Same goes for video card reviews, or laptop reviews. There is a lot of "unique content" you can potentially extract from such reviews, just need to have a willpower and enthusiasm to do so ;-) And if you don't have a willpower or enthusiasm to keep improving your content and finding more unique content - then perhaps it is better to do what HardOCP owner did, just close down your site instead of letting someone else take over it. Not saying that this is the only right option but this is still a valid option.

Speaking of Gamers Nexus - I like how they have created their own screwdriver kit which they advertise in their videos and sell on their own site. It is very basic and anyone can create same kit for personal use by buying individual items on Amazon but this is yet another way of trying to come up with creative way to monetize your content in a relevant to your viewers way. Not saying that this is what other review sites should also do, just a general observation.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:06 am

JohnC wrote:
...if you don't have a willpower or enthusiasm to keep improving your content and finding more unique content - then perhaps it is better to do what HardOCP owner did, just close down your site instead of letting someone else take over it. Not saying that this is the only right option but this is still a valid option.

As previously mentioned in this thread, this wasn't an option for Adam, it would have left him with a significant amount of debt after acquiring the site from Scott early last year.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:40 am

drfish wrote:
JohnC wrote:
...if you don't have a willpower or enthusiasm to keep improving your content and finding more unique content - then perhaps it is better to do what HardOCP owner did, just close down your site instead of letting someone else take over it. Not saying that this is the only right option but this is still a valid option.

As previously mentioned in this thread, this wasn't an option for Adam, it would have left him with a significant amount of debt after acquiring the site from Scott early last year.

I understand that it may be more desirable to sell the site due to financial reasons, this is why I said that it's just an option for people who did not get into such bad financial situation and can afford doing this.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 am

JohnC wrote:
For example, take a look at Gamers Nexus.

Gamers Nexus primarily makes money from merchandise and their Youtube channel. They are actually losing money on their website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comme ... d/exjqxl4/

We actually run the GN website as mostly a vanity project/future expansion opportunity. We don't make any money on it and the traffic to the site from YT isn't really noteworthy. Our revenue is functionally entirely YouTube and the GN merch store, with a big boost/help from Patreon, which combined give us a very strong and diversified cashflow that allows us to keep the site running just because I want to. I do plan to eventually overhaul the site and use our funding from YT to employ a bigger writing staff, but just have a time management challenge of finding the time to write a spec for a new site.

I'm honestly not even sure what the gross revenue is that the website ads make these days, but it's definitely not technically enough to pay for my time on it. That said, I like doing it, and it keeps my mind in the frame of editorial/writing rather than acting, which I think helps me phrase things better in video, have a better vocabulary/word choice, and it's also fun. We're in a great spot these days and have built-up an incredible team, so we finally are starting to pull enough extra money in that I could, once time allows, throw some at a website rebuild and rebuilding a bigger written presence to join our YT presence.

GamersNexus Patreon is $5,322/month: https://www.patreon.com/gamersnexus

Of which, Patreon gets a ~5% cut.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:16 am

Yes, I know GN makes most money on YouTube, that's what they chose instead of doing stuff on website. It does not mean YouTube is a better way - many people still prefer to read reviews in text form and the monetization of YouTube videos is decreasing, many YouTubers have complained about that. People can block Ads on YouTube just as easy as on website. I do that too, not because I am a freeloader but because I do not see it rational to pay for content I haven't even finished watching, I only pay for content that I liked. Through Patreon, other tools or through subscription paywalls - I do not mind them if content is good.

Redocbew

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 am

JohnC wrote:
I understand that it may be more desirable to sell the site due to financial reasons, this is why I said that it's just an option for people who did not get into such bad financial situation and can afford doing this.

...which has nothing to do with anything, really...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:56 am

JohnC wrote:
It does not mean YouTube is a better way - many people still prefer to read reviews in text form

From a business standpoint, it sure is.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
JohnC wrote:
It does not mean YouTube is a better way - many people still prefer to read reviews in text form

Is it? I would like to see a proper comparison of a site which has same exact content on the site itself and on YouTube. And see how much traffic both would generate, as well as Ad revenue. I see plenty of sites which still post news about hardware on their website and not through YouTube videos, same goes for hardware reviews. Of course this just means the owner could be satisfied with current income and not willing to increase it, or the owner might not be willing to spend extra time on editing the video or might not be willing to appear on camera or for other reasons but I doubt that they would ignore YouTube if it was a universally superior way to monetize content.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 am

JohnC wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Is it? I would like to see a proper comparison of a site which has same exact content on the site itself and on YouTube. And see how much traffic both would generate, as well as Ad revenue. I see plenty of sites which still post news about hardware on their website and not through YouTube videos, same goes for hardware reviews. Of course this just means the owner could be satisfied with current income and not willing to increase it, or the owner might not be willing to spend extra time on editing the video or might not be willing to appear on camera or for other reasons but I doubt that they would ignore YouTube if it was a universally superior way to monetize content.

I can't think of a single PC hardware website that relies on the written medium as it's sole output that doesn't have some video presence (Gamers Nexus) or is part of a larger website (Ars, Anand, Tom's, etc).

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:41 am

I've heard this straight from Adam: YouTube is where PC hardware vendors spend their ad budgets. AdSense is one thing, but that's not where the real money is. You need contracts with the big vendors and they only want to spend money on YouTube. :-?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am

For what it's worth, ever since the rise of channels such as VSauce, Corridor Crew, minutephysics, Kurzgesagt, or even the hyperactive Linus Tech Tips, I've warmed up to video content more and more. Sans VSauce I guess, since that channel has been dead for a long time now.

It is unsuitable for consumption during my commute or sometimes even at work (breaks or otherwise), and the production value is sometimes insanely high and expensive, but in the end I've restructured the time I allot to consuming media this way because it still feels better somehow.

You could do every review in two versions for example: version A is a high level overview on youtube or some bombastic demonstration of anything in particular, while version B is the "link in the description" to TR's actual studies with all the numbers and slightly better quality comments and whatnot.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:43 pm

drfish wrote:
I've heard this straight from Adam: YouTube is where PC hardware vendors spend their ad budgets. AdSense is one thing, but that's not where the real money is. You need contracts with the big vendors and they only want to spend money on YouTube. :-?

It totally makes sense! I find myself more often than not watching YouTube videos because they get hardware from manufacturers more consistently sadly. I'm thinking it's because it's much better from a marketing point of view to showcase your product in a video vs. a written review + photos.