Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Something's different...

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Vrock wrote:
As George Harrison said, all things must pass. The older I get, the more I find this to be true.

I lol'd at the John Rampton website. I withhold further comment, and bid TR good day.

Daggerbird for life bro.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:33 pm

https://old.reddit.com/r/TRGerbils

Message me for there invites - just a backup in case the site gets ****.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:10 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
https://old.reddit.com...

Heh. I think you can use anything there, as long as it's not www.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Pagey wrote:
Xolore wrote:
I don't think it's just about specific searches. I know my phone has a google news feed thing that tries to pick up and suggest articles from a wide range of sites that it thinks I would be interested in (google and privacy don't blend). It can often can show articles very much like what's being discussed here as much as I wish it didn't. If those articles find there way into those sort of news feeds then there you go. I'm sure there's other examples but that's one I can think of off the top of my head.

I assume that some algorithm is producing these sorts of suggestions, but one would think that after X amount of time, the algorithm would see "this is useless tripe that no one is actually clicking on" and adjust itself accordingly. I could see, if we were in the early days of such algorithms, how the maths could make this kind of assumption/mistake, but this is late 2019. If this is still the state of such algorithms, the mind reels.
Reminds me of how, in the past, you could pack key words in the header of your website and it would bring searches to your site. Then I suppose Google learned how to ignore that and SEO became the new way to draw eyes to the site.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am

meerkt wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
https://old.reddit.com...

Heh. I think you can use anything there, as long as it's not www.

I just loathe their forced site redesign tbh, it's awful for everything except their revenue I'm sure. FWIW I made the subreddit open to all, because the default mod tools suck and I can't be bothered to approve everyone the only way I know how. Hopefully we get some folks to come hang out; who knows perhaps we'll become an aggregated community of various experts and personalities :lol:

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:26 am

I'm sorry for not reading the last 40 pages of posts, I really am.

I'm getting crushed with work ATM and I don't have time.

That said, can someone explain, by all things holy, why the Front-page comments work on the godforsaken HONOR SYSTEM?!

I wish I was kidding - who let this happen and when are Forum logins going to be supported on the front page?!

EDIT: Well, it's not all bad. If you see some AMD fanboyism from "Chuckula"... it wasn't me >>
Last edited by Vhalidictes on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
I'm sorry for not reading the last 40 pages of posts, I really am.

I'm getting crushed with work ATM and I don't have time.

That said, can someone explain, by all things holy, why the Front-page comments work on the godforsaken HONOR SYSTEM?!

I wish I was kidding - who let this happen and when are Forum logins going to be supported on the front page?!

Oh don't worry, a lot comments are being disabled by default these days so that's no longer a problem. I really doubt you'll ever see forum posts on the front page again. Love to be wrong, but yeah, the redesign is awful.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Oh ****, the site's dead.

Ah well. I didn't realize, I thought it was a normal redesign. I guess the good news is that I no longer need to subscribe?

I went back a few pages and saw SweatShopKing's post (I wasn't aware that he was a article contributor?).

Bummer. I guess it's going to be Anandtech and (for now) these forums for me.

There's always those 50,000 YouTube channels, I guess, but wading through minute after minute of people talking about themselves to get to the content is... well, it's pretty bad.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

Because stock WordPress template with minimal (well, OK, non-existent) attempt at integration.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
the subreddit open to all

I don't like Reddit for real discussion. Besides all the rest, active threads don't bubble up after a short while.
derFunk suggested the HotHardware forums. Not my ideal, but more similar to the forums here than Reddit.

Vhalidictes wrote:
why the Front-page comments work on the godforsaken HONOR SYSTEM?!

Because it's about time the internet stopped being so cynical. Gerbils are honorable!

Rand
Gerbil

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm still naively checking back every week or so hoping for some sign of improvement.
Nothing yet...

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 pm

meerkt wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
the subreddit open to all

I don't like Reddit for real discussion. Besides all the rest, active threads don't bubble up after a short while.
derFunk suggested the HotHardware forums. Not my ideal, but more similar to the forums here than Reddit.

Vhalidictes wrote:
why the Front-page comments work on the godforsaken HONOR SYSTEM?!

Because it's about time the internet stopped being so cynical. Gerbils are honorable!

I don't disagree, reddit's functionality is just meant for a stop gap.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:45 am

I still can't login to the frontpage.
I can still upvote/downvote without logging in.
I can still post comments without verification of my account. That means anyone can shill/troll until a human (like Fish or DerFunk moderate it manually) intervenes.
Nested comments (reply chains) on the frontpage articles still run out of space, effectively preventing actual discussions.
I was just starting to think the front page was looking respectable with somewhat-recent content and then spotted another closed-comments, SEO-bait page of unreadable tripe from Reneebot.

/sigh.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:32 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
........... Reneebot.

Dammit, you made me nose my coffee this morning!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am

Couple things:

* I know for sure that Dave and co. would welcome TR's regular visitors in HotHardware's forums and comments. At the same time, I would hate to be even partly responsible for fragmenting TR's community. So whatever you guys decide to do, you do.

* The front page comments weren't approved automatically as of early August when I stopped writing here. The first time a username/email address combination is used, someone has to approve it. The only way someone could impersonate you is if they also knew your email address. Or if someone just blindly approves, I guess. My access has been restricted (rightfully so), so it's possible that might have changed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

fyo
Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I was just starting to think the front page was looking respectable with somewhat-recent content and then spotted another closed-comments, SEO-bait page of unreadable tripe from Reneebot.
/sigh.

I want my brain back. You made me read that article and I'm pretty sure it broke my brain. The other Renee article were at least possible to read, this one.... Ow, my head hurts.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 am

If you're looking for alternative forums since these forums will eventually shut down - you are always welcome to Overclock.net, it's a very active forum with all kind of topics.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 pm

So the "About" page has been updated and the "staff" segment contains a grand total of 1 person. Doesn't bode too well.

Eric Frederiksen seems to be responsible for 90% of the output nowadays, none of it being first-hand reporting, but I wouldn't blame him if he started seriously looking around for other work.

Edit: The site's design should've been fixed within days of being introduced. It's been 2 whole months now with no improvements in sight and no communication of any substance.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Still references the non-functional subscriptions page and suggests downloading episodes of a podcast that was put to pasture as a regular feature four years ago.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 am

Meadows wrote:
So the "About" page has been updated and the "staff" segment contains a grand total of 1 person. Doesn't bode too well.

Eric Frederiksen seems to be responsible for 90% of the output nowadays, none of it being first-hand reporting, but I wouldn't blame him if he started seriously looking around for other work.

Edit: The site's design should've been fixed within days of being introduced. It's been 2 whole months now with no improvements in sight and no communication of any substance.

Don't worry, entrepreneur guy knows what he is doing, and will turn the ship around.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am

fyo wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
/sigh.

I want my brain back. You made me read that article and I'm pretty sure it broke my brain. The other Renee article were at least possible to read, this one.... Ow, my head hurts.

I got that one on my Facebook feed this morning.

Honestly... I don't know if Renee or the other management reads this thread or not... but I say this as someone who's been reading this site for almost 20 years now... if that had been my first impression of TR it would have also been my last impression of TR. I understand that putting out that kind of mindless keyword laden tripe is mostly about grabbing search engine traffic... but there has to be at least some standard if you're going to put something out to be read by the public.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:53 pm

So, while we're still all here... can anyone help out and let me know what hardware sites are still left/good?

Has Anandtech won? Well, technically it's a cellphone site, but you know what I mean.

I'm trying to think of any site other than TR that I regularly visit... HotHardware once in a while? What are the options here?

EDIT: Semiaccurate, but it only updates once a month, so that's not tough to keep on top of.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
So, while we're still all here... can anyone help out and let me know what hardware sites are still left/good?

Has Anandtech won? Well, technically it's a cellphone site, but you know what I mean.

I'm trying to think of any site other than TR that I regularly visit... HotHardware once in a while? What are the options here?

EDIT: Semiaccurate, but it only updates once a month, so that's not tough to keep on top of.

TechPowerUp is still good for all PC hardware news - they publish their own articles and they link to articles to other sites, just like TR used to do. Not much garbage fluff unrelated to PC hardware (this is the reason I do not read sites like Techspot or HotHardware), except few reviews for sponsored products. Other than this, Overclock.net forums have News section so you can use it to get daily news about hardware and software https://www.overclock.net/forum/149-industry-news/

For Android related stuff I just read AndroidPolice and Anandtech for more detailed reviews.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 pm

SSD Life Expectancy
Holding my tongue, must not make snide comment.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm

cphite wrote:
Honestly... I don't know if Renee or the other management reads this thread or not... but I say this as someone who's been reading this site for almost 20 years now... if that had been my first impression of TR it would have also been my last impression of TR. I understand that putting out that kind of mindless keyword laden tripe is mostly about grabbing search engine traffic... but there has to be at least some standard if you're going to put something out to be read by the public.

This has also got to have some impact on what other writing makes it to the front page. A writer with high enough quality standards to do seriously good things for TR might not want their work to show up next to that (I know I sure wouldn't).

At this point, if Zak's reviews weren't still the best of their kind on the internet, I'd drop the front page entirely. I do appreciate that Eric and drfish are keeping the lights on, but that kind of post has been more about the community than anything else for a long time, and I can't be bothered to interact with that comment system.

Vhalidictes wrote:

My current weekly list (in place of daily TR before the scratch) is TR, PCPer, GamersNexus, TechPowerUp, and HotHardware. While still not up to the standards Zak is holding, GamersNexus stands out as the best researched and written of the rest of it in my opinion (though I don't follow anything they do in video FWIW).

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

I wouldn't call them a cellphone site, that's just one coverage area. As far as I can tell they cover all major PC hardware releases.
They always remained valid. I have some issues with their writing style, and their penchant for poor image quality, but the core tech info is there (though frametime graphs aren't).

For PSUs, one possible place is Tom's Hardware. I generally avoid them due to design, but recently read there a PSU review which was nice. In some aspects more hardcore than JonnyGuru, and with all kinds of not-strictly-needed but cool exhaustive graphs.

Meadows wrote:
It's been 2 whole months now with no improvements in sight and no communication of any substance.

I find it dishonest and disrespectful that Jeff's articles are attributed to Renee, instead of something like "TR Staff". And Usacomp2k3 is still credited as "administrator".
Last edited by meerkt on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm

meerkt wrote:
I find it dishonest and disrespectful that Jeff's articles are attributed to Renee, instead of something like "TR Staff". And Usacomp2k3 is still credited as "administrator".

Very.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 am

I've been very cynical about the whole thing. I firmly believe that the reason for the lack of communication and the listicles is that they just want to turn the site into one of those click-bait ones. It's really is sad. I've spent 17 years here visiting at least a few times a day. Not to mention using the System Guide for my upgrades. As a side note, I'm upgrading this year and it will be the first I DONT use the guide. :/ Anyways, "they" wanted to freeze out the regulars so they can do the aforementioned, and its working. :(
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:58 am

synthtel2 wrote:
At this point, if Zak's reviews weren't still the best of their kind on the internet, I'd drop the front page entirely. I do appreciate that Eric and drfish are keeping the lights on, but that kind of post has been more about the community than anything else for a long time, and I can't be bothered to interact with that comment system.

Hate to break it to you, truly, but Zak is done. His last review was his last review. At this point I'm not expecting anyone to take that particular torch, which means TuRk/frame time testing won't be used, which means if anyone ever wants to use it again it will be massively outdated—and without Bruno around to update it... Well, you get the idea. I'll be surprised if TR produces a CPU/GPU review again. Furthermore, I don't know of any efforts to work with vendors to secure SSDs, cases, headsets, peripherals, etc. I think all of those kind of reviews may be done as well. Things could be happening behind the scenes that I don't know about, though (Tony, Eric, and Nathan haven't said they're done or anything, I'm just speculating that they may not have any new hardware coming their way).

For my part, TR-morale is extremely low and I think I'm nearing the end of my ability to contribute. Shortbread isn't worth my time if hardly anyone is engaging in the comments and my big list of future stories looks more like work than fun to me now. Here's the list in case anyone is curious...

Six month update on my solar panel experiences
A story about my paludarium/BBQ gift
AmazonBasics trackball review
Prototype lightweight inflatable mouse idea/build
Asus Ai Mesh mini-review
Echo Auto review
Three years with Alexa retrospective
Watercooled VR 3.0
Xbox Adaptive Controller revisit
Gerbil's choice portable NAND grudge match

I just have no motivation, and since I also have so little time in the first place a lack of motivation is essentially a death sentence to all those and future stories... I have many other complicated thoughts about all this, but I'm not going to try and unpack them here, at least not right now.

Frankly, as TR has wound down, I've wound down my PC enthusiasm. TR and "the hobby" were so intertwined that the end of one is bringing about the end of the other for me (I get plenty of IT action at work and I'm either appalled or bored by the state of [most] gaming right now). It's all good though, I've got a toddler that needs to be shown the world and I'm officially back into fish keeping again, which feels right—I am drfish after all.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am

drfish wrote:
Tony, Eric, and Nathan haven't said they're done or anything

Didn't know Tony was still around.

TR-morale is extremely low

Understandable. Did things look better at the BBQ?

Prototype lightweight inflatable mouse idea/build

With an integrated cellphone!

Three years with Alexa retrospective

Sounds like a romance novel. :)
Last edited by meerkt on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.