Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Something's different...

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Any word on how long the forums are going to stay up?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Any word on how long the forums are going to stay up?

I have no idea. Could be a month, could be years.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm

tfp wrote:
It also seems that the main forum activities are Igor_Kavinski weird threads...

Time to call it a day. Feel free to dance/sing/jump in joy while I'm out cold.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 pm

tfp wrote:
I wish they would include the persons forum handle as well as real name

Right now that's easy. Only Eric, who I think doesn't hang in the forums, and occasionally ludi.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:07 am

I'm BAAAACCCKKKKK! On a more serious note, been encountering lots of "Too many connections" MySQL errors on these forums lately. Just today the forums were inaccessible for several minutes. Guess the forums really ARE rock bottom on the list of priorities for the new owners...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:19 am

Apparently, the site has been up and down since last night. Even this morning I've seen up and a down a few different times. :-?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am

drfish wrote:
Apparently, the site has been up and down since last night. Even this morning I've seen up and a down a few different times. :-?

Yup I’m experiencing the same.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am

If folks still following this thread want to PM me their email address, I can invite them to the Slack channel a few of us have been hanging out in. No lookie-loos, please.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Slack instead of forum, or instead of IRC?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Slack instead of uncertainty
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 am

Not instead of anything, just in addition to and in case of.

Rand
Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I notice Renee seems to have completely given up her 'informative' posts. I'm not sure whether to take that as a positive sign that they've realized the new direction isn't working out, or a negative sign that they've just about given up on the entire site.

Bigbloke
Gerbil

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:36 am

Rand wrote:
.........sign that they've just about given up on the entire site.

^This. There are 2 gerbils contributing articles to the front page. None of the site issues have been addressed since the July F-U. (Oh sorry 1 change to the abysmal comments system, which is no better). There is no sign of any of the sort of articles that made TR great anymore. I guess it's a gerbil playground now until the plug gets pulled.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 am

Similarweb's October update indicates that traffic has rebounded a little bit.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/tech ... m#overview
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 am

Average visit duration of only 00:01:24 isn't terribly encouraging though.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am

Though as usual for these external info sources, the stats seem questionable.
0.52% of search visitors supposedly arrived following "how do i disable computrace"?

drfish wrote:
Not instead of anything, just in addition to and in case of.

So IRC is still on. :)

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm

The same SimilarWeb knows that:
- Eye Bee Am's logo is this one: https://www.similarweb.com/website/ibm.com
- TR has 10-50 employees (that girl ... she's a real multitasker)
- TR belongs in "Top sites ranking for Computers Electronics And Technology > Programming And Developer Software" category, unlike Tom's, Anand, Techspot, Hot Hardware, Techpowerup and Hexus (and those six are scattered between "Computers Electronics And Technology > Computer Hardware" and "Computers Electronics And Technology > Computers Electronics And Technology")
- Tom's Hardware of Italy (tomshw.it) is number 22 in the world in Computer Hardware (why don't we all write in Italian here, looks like a simple and effective SEO trick).

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
now he's graduated into metacontent, where he's paid to live vicariously through his past self

I am now reminded of Trump for some reason.

Or is this the "American dream" in general?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Meadows wrote:
why he'd buy websites at all to begin with. I'm not sure I understand. Is this a valid business model?

It could be anything: a plan that didn't pan out, other projects that took precedence, personal matters...

Is Adam at least doing well?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm

My 2 cents on the general speculation although it serves no useful purpose, I feel like typing I guess.

I used to hang out on a different forum. The owner of that site found some surprise success. The niche target didn't have many options and the good design of the site was welcoming.

At some point the owner, who was always exceptionally public with details of his life and efforts, began outlining efforts to make several other sites and release a big update to the current one. These were all scheduled to happen at the same time.

The outcome were several sites no one cared about and a severely broken update that even made it impossible to sub or unsub from the supporting donations through the site or create new accounts. In fact most accounts, mine included, couldn't even log in for weeks.

He made a giant message panel that would cover the bottom quarter of my phone on every page to update about the awesome stuff he's working on and casual assurances that he would eventually fix the problems after the other sites were done which would be one month minimum. Then he literally vanished completely for several months leaving everyone to find creative ways to block the sub payments, myself included.

Throughout the whole process I gathered that he was thinking that he was in the middle of doing awesome work and that complaints were unjustified and just didn't understand what he was doing. A total disconnect. Grandiose delusions juxtaposed with the reality of shattering the one successful site and pointlessly scheduling so many poorly planned projects at the same time.

I've seen a surprising similarity of events here, even the broken subs, and I get the same over all feeling. All of the information on the owner wreaks of the exact same grandiose delusions, and evident here the poor ineffective plans. The general trend in chat is people saying they don't understand. I think that's because the assumption is that there was a coordinated well thought out plan to begin with. People spend money on things without real purpose all the time, including on businesses. I've met many business owners that don't understand what the difference between gross earnings and net. Im just saying, don't be so surprised, just accept it and be disappointed.

Also for what it's worth, I doubt the site sold for much. I know the site wasn't disclosed as being for sale, but I reckon that their are several people here that could have bought it. The real question, does anyone think they could have made the site profitable or afforded keeping it going as is losing money but in the ideal format. I have no ideas for how to have improved the sites condition and I couldn't reasonably risk my finances on it.

I might not have anything good to say about the new ownership, but I don't blame them for the site failing in the least.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Igor_Kavinski

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:38 am

Rand wrote:
I still haven't found another, "go to" site for tech news. I'm bouncing around through a bunch of them with no real preference. :(

Same here. These days, my go to sites are (in order):
techreport.com
anandtech.com
arstechnica.com
tweaktown.com (newsletter only)

Others I might visit from time to time are:
pcper.com
theregister.co.uk
news.ycombinator.com

Igor_Kavinski

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I might not have anything good to say about the new ownership, but I don't blame them for the site failing in the least.

They could have interacted more and directly with the TR regulars and gotten some good suggestions. The fact that none of them is posting on this forum is proof that they simply don't care about the existing user base. Their plan always was to boost site traffic by hiring "professionals" and then sell it off for a profit. Now that there isn't much chance of that happening, I guess the site is doomed. It's just a matter of time before the lights get turned off :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

They could have interacted more and directly with the TR regulars and gotten some good suggestions.

I'm not convinced there were any good suggestions which would've both A) kept most of the "regulars" happy; and B) made the site profitable. TR was serving a niche market, and chasing vanishing advertising dollars. However, I believe the changes which were made, and the manner in which the resulting problems have(n't) been addressed, have - if anything - accelerated the decline.

Igor_Kavinski

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am

It's easy to say that there are no good suggestions but if the owners had brainstormed with the community, I'm sure something could have come up in the discussions which would have been a "Eureka!" moment for everyone involved. Since the owners did not go down this path, we will never know how it could have played out. Great things happen when people come together.

As an example, take these forums. I'm confident that there are at least a 100 forum threads here that can become great reading fodder if the fluff is edited out and the threads are "curated" by the admins. Kinda like a "Best of TR forums" list that is prominently displayed and that newcomers might find interesting to dive into.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:28 am

What seems "interesting" to you may seem like irrational absurdity to the logical tech-oriented readers of the site. As the signal-to-noise ratio in the forum threads drops, there's even less reason for people to visit for legitimate coherent discussion.
· R5-3600X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro +2TB MX500 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Focus PX-850, S3220DGF +32UD99
· i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, HD7770, ½TB 960Pro +5TB HD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, U2410

Igor_Kavinski

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
What seems "interesting" to you may seem like irrational absurdity to the logical tech-oriented readers of the site. As the signal-to-noise ratio in the forum threads drops, there's even less reason for people to visit for legitimate coherent discussion.

I'm not talking about "my" threads. Threads in the past. Threads that get pushed so far back due to lack of activity that only a search might reveal them to the newcomer. I'm sure there are plenty of gems to be found and TR regulars, especially TR forum members that have not stopped visiting the site since its inception, can help point those out.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:14 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

I'm not talking about "my" threads. Threads in the past. Threads that get pushed so far back due to lack of activity that only a search might reveal them to the newcomer. I'm sure there are plenty of gems to be found and TR regulars, especially TR forum members that have not stopped visiting the site since its inception, can help point those out.

Much of the tech-focused discussion becomes obsolete on the timescale of a couple of years or less, since technology moves on. Sure, there are scattered threads about general troubleshooting and system building issues which remain relevant, and a few general interest threads (e.g. music, photography); but generating new traffic to those isn't going to generate enough revenue to pay for the kind of staff TR had in its heyday. At best (and even this is likely to be wildly optimistic), it'll pay for the costs associated with hosting the forum.

To grow the site and make it profitable, it needs compelling new content. At least some of that needs to be video content, since that's the way the market has moved. Producing professional-looking video content takes time and effort (not to mention, products to review). Indexing interesting forum threads from the past isn't going to make that happen.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:59 am

Also you would be competing with companies who already use the modern video format and have an established community. It's a tough sell at best.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Also you would be competing with companies who already use the modern video format and have an established community. It's a tough sell at best.

Still better than competing in a segment which attracts close to zero ad revenue.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Still better than competing in a segment which attracts close to zero ad revenue.

Oh I agree, but either way I think the site was done when it fell to far behind. I wouldn't bet my money on it.
When drunk.....