Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Something's different...

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:52 am

It's the same generic click fodder that turns up in most Google results these days. This stuff is popular partly cus it's effortless. A few generic Google's about **** you know nothing about thrown into a **** list and Google still lists it as top results. It's my dream that this sort of garbage would be filterable in some way. I don't think I've ever seen a list article that had anything unique, productive, or useful to offer. And that doesn't even consider how full of affiliate links they usually are.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am

Meadows wrote:
Guitar accessories? For real?

I can see it. I think there is an overlap between techies and gear junkies, and I bet they're using some sort of data analytics/advertising profile data to justify making the post.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm sure there's a reason they picked those specific items, but there's some REALLY cool stuff out there that I'd like better.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Wirko
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:49 am

Shall we open new threads to comment on the uncommentable, or would there be too much risk of attracting a big lightning strike?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 am

Is that what's happening right here?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:10 am

If you'd like to start a forum thread about really cool tech gadgets for the guitar player in your life, that would be fine. If you're going to have a thread criticizing the front page listicle, that wouldn't be received well. A generation that grew up receiving participation trophies apparently hasn't learned to deal with criticism. Note the closing of comments on the listicle.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, UltraSharp U2410, CVT Avant Prime, DeathAdder, Audioengine HD3+S8

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
A generation that grew up receiving participation trophies apparently hasn't learned to deal with criticism. Note the closing of comments on the listicle.

Gawd Dammit.....I just nosed my coffee this morning at that. LMAO But at least its the truth.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 am

Here's the thing... for what it is, it actually isn't terrible. It's just jarringly out of place as a front page article, given the site's historical focus. And anyone who happens across it via Google search is going to have little reason to stick around on the site afterwards, since none of the rest of the content is guitar-related. Mostly it's just... an odd choice.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am

Yeah. It's not horrendously out of place for what we do (did), but randomly a bit too far into the pro audio realm. If they're looking to move in that direction, something like the 6 best USB recording interfaces for music and/or youtube might have been closer to the mark, or maybe something about recording software.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 am

The Egg wrote:
Yeah. It's not horrendously out of place for what we do (did), but randomly a bit too far into the pro audio realm. If they're looking to move in that direction, something like the 6 best USB recording interfaces for music and/or youtube might have been closer to the mark, or maybe something about recording software.

or the 6 best web-mics for your next ASMR.........>.>
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:05 am

Or best podcasting setups. That would make a bit of sense, since you need either:

a. a USB microphone with direct monitoring
b. an audio interface, microphone, and XLR cable to join them

Since TR published DAWbench results for years, this is actually kinda in the site's wheelhouse. I expect that if TR publishes it I'll get royalties for the idea.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I expect that if TR publishes it I'll get royalties for the idea.

Gawd Dammit thats twice.......now I nosed my Hot green tea......:P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 am

The Egg wrote:

Agreed. Something about DAW software or high quality external audio interfaces would've fit in OK. Guitar picks? Not so much.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:27 am

Granted this is all on the assumption that the owners have a master plan/vision for the site that they are working toward (which I'm skeptical of), but there's a ton of good material to draw in viewers and reader interest with the audio realm. Podcasting setups, microphones, DAW software, etc, are all good ideas. If Ludi's articles have a home at TR, you can definitely extend that to the nitty-gritty behind synthesizer and pedal design. There's a ton of electrical engineering involved that I think a large audience of TR would appreciate and equally geek out over. I don't expect TR to be reviewing guitar pedals and synthesizers, but there is some happy medium the site could pivot towards.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:58 am

SecretMaster wrote:
Granted this is all on the assumption that the owners have a master plan/vision for the site that they are working toward (which I'm skeptical of), but there's a ton of good material to draw in viewers and reader interest with the audio realm. Podcasting setups, microphones, DAW software, etc, are all good ideas. If Ludi's articles have a home at TR, you can definitely extend that to the nitty-gritty behind synthesizer and pedal design. There's a ton of electrical engineering involved that I think a large audience of TR would appreciate and equally geek out over. I don't expect TR to be reviewing guitar pedals and synthesizers, but there is some happy medium the site could pivot towards.

My articles "had a home" because I put in the initiative and there was nobody to say No. I worked through Fish and Renee never commented one way or the other. Pretty sure the ownership has no direction on the site right now.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BIF
Gold subscriber

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
Here's the thing... for what it is, it actually isn't terrible. It's just jarringly out of place as a front page article, given the site's historical focus. And anyone who happens across it via Google search is going to have little reason to stick around on the site afterwards, since none of the rest of the content is guitar-related. Mostly it's just... an odd choice.
This sort of thing might actually work as a "Friday Night Question" or whatever that was when we did those, particularly in the area of audio interfaces or microphones, as mentioned in a couple of posts after yours.

In the big picture, however, I've seen this strategy before. EA did it before, during, and after they completely botched SimCity, and then shut it down. Native Instruments did it before they yanked some seriously good instruments from their "Komplete" bundle, and before they eliminated a truly excellent hardware device called "Kore".

And the strategy is basically this: Change something the users like a lot, toot your horn that it's all going to be better, ignore their concerns (and don't respond to any criticism). Every new article is written about something completely off-topic from the users' concerns; as if to imply that their concerns really don't even matter.

Eventually, you must take away opportunity to criticize, and then finally you drop the hammer and tell the community that you're discontinuing the thing they loved so much and complained about so much.

Right now, they're partways into taking away opportunity to criticize. By removing the ability to comment on "Renee's" articles, they're showing us that they aren't interested in our feedback. They may even have an attitude that we don't really matter, because TR is suffering from finance issues with us as the users. Whether or not they overtly or subconsciously blame us for the current state of things, they've already decided how this is all going to work (aka "go away"). In their minds, the time for talk is over with, and now it's just a matter of waiting for it to happen.

To me, the only value left now in TR is the forum, and even at that, much of the technical information is already dated beyond most usefulness. Who still reads old freeware articles, GPU lists from before the Obama Administration, really old CPU discussions, anything to do with prior versions of Windows, etcetera?

I've resigned myself to believing that all of this is probably doomed at this point, but I also realize that maybe only 20-30% will still be relevant as we move forward in the 20's. Besides that, we probably can't archive/save/make available this huge repository of information without violating some sort of TOC, copyright, or IP agreement or law.

But that's not the best thing, and we don't need to lose the best thing about this community. Right now, what's more valuable to me than the mere "data/information" in these forums, is the PEOPLE who come here. I never would have gotten help with my refrigerator door from any ol' kitchen appliance forum or parts company. It's this forum's PEOPLE who helped me avoid spending $2,000 to $3,000 on a new refrigerator.

The new owner(s), espeically if they're still submitting articles from "Renee" without giving us the opportunity to have input into what we'd like to read, can't even come close to achieving what we have in our community. I mean, really...tone-deaf clickbait articles? They have nothing on us, seriously.

So right now this wonderful forest is doomed to clearcutting. It's the only logical possibility right now; the owners have not demonstrated an ability to bring more people/money to the site, and I'm sure this forum can't do it all by itself without a working front-end. I think the best thing, really the only viable solution, is for us to do what we can to make sure we have a new perch on which to roost when the bulldozers come.

Maybe our community can survive. And maybe I can return the favor and help somebody else with their refrigerator door! :P :)

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 am

I have been sitting quiet and observing the changes. No I wasn't happy but wanted to give things a chance. As time went by I had to accept that the old Tech Report was dead and was never coming back. Its been months since we have had a in depth review of some hardware. For the most part I see is regurgitated press releases and filler articles that have no importance to the people who read the old Tech Report. The site has turned into a click bait article factory.

I'm out. It was good while it lasted. Sadly it ended when the new owner took over and installed the so called Editor-in-Chief. :cry: :cry: :cry:

HAL-9000
Gerbil

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am

BIF wrote:

...one heck of a post...

Very well said, BIF - I agree with everything that you wrote.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

Well the good news of the site continuing on a downward angle, if anyone wants to put the notion of buying the site into the new owners ear this is probably a good time to start.

I'm curious if some of the guys claiming to have better plans will put their money where their mouth is.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

zimpdagreene
Gerbil

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am

BIF said it the best. I can say this site before I learned so much from members. A lot of reading. But again. BIf said it just like I would.
Don't Stop. Drive hard fast, faster. Windows Uranium,Core 8 32Core, 650gig ram, 1000Ter Hard Drive, 8 Trac Audio Player!

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 am

SecretMaster wrote:
Granted this is all on the assumption that the owners have a master plan/vision for the site that they are working toward (which I'm skeptical of)...

They don't, and never did. I'm sticking with my original assumption, which is that they did little to no research, and bought because they felt they were getting a good value based on whatever arbitrary metrics and bulls**t bingo words. After buying, they assigned a few random employees they felt fit the bill, and attempted a "Generic Tech Website A" approach. Once the overlords notice the continued poor performance, they'll either leave it on autopilot (if costs are low enough), or just shrug their shoulders and pull the plug, giving very little thought to what actually happened.

Pholostan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am

I think my subscription auto-renewed last time. There doesn't seem to be a subscription page any more? How do I cancel?
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 pm

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:19 pm

meerkt wrote:
support@techreport.com may work.

Also see under heading "Subscriptions": https://techreport.com/blog/3464346/all ... g-tr-work/

poor sucker Josh wrote:
It’s on its way back very soon, but it was apparently more complicated than initially thought.

Three months+ later, and ya don't say. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Just check your Bank app, most of them allow you to block pre authorized businesses. If not you can call and do the same thing.
When drunk.....

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Eh, sorry but no... it's pretty bad even for what it is. It's presented as being a list of "top" items for guitar, but there really isn't anything about any of the items chosen that qualifies them as being "top" anything. There isn't even a solid description of any of them... here is a tuner, it has lights!

A more honest title would have been "Here Are Six Random Guitar Things I Found"

It's basically a random, low-effort attempt to draw clicks from a new market. I guess from a pure business/marketing perspective it makes sense; but it's a really sad direction for the site to be going.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:37 pm

My email pinged because someone quoted a post of mine (from March, heh) so I thought I'd check to see what TR was looking like after close to 6 months since the oof.

After navigating around the steaming poo pile that used to be the frontpage, which only seems to be getting worse despite the continued brave efforts of a few, I see nothing much has changed with the overlord's attitudes to free speech, improvements, or fixing the theft of subscription renewal fees for previous loyal TR readers.

All I can say guys is jump ship somewhere that isn't going to imminently die before it's too late. These forums are still (and have always been) amazing because of you all but they are at risk of being obliterated from orbit with zero communication from a bunch of asshats that don't give a damn. You're all standing on a metaphorical precipice with visible cracks in the floor, hoping for the best but it'll be harder to coordinate stuff after the forums get shut down than before.

IMO someone should put up a gigantic Google survey/sheets or Doodle and just let democracy decide on a new site to call home. It doesn't matter if its already populated, or near-empty as long as y'all pick the same home; This one is irreversibly tainted :(
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
survey/sheets or Doodle and just let democracy decide on a new site to call home

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122430

Wirko
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Decide on a new site to call home ... as I read this, I casually entered "askscott.com" into the browser and ... haha, Scott over there is related to gaming, somehow, in an unexpected way. But probably not the right person to ask for direction when looking for a new gerbil-friendly place.

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:18 am

by looking that the number of comments in the articles on the front page, you can clearly see that the regulars of TR are no longer around. :( This makes me sad to see.