Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Something's different...

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

6 Gaming Industry Trends That Will Shape the 2020s

Ugh. So basically the exact same things everyone has been saying for almost 2 decades? I don't understand this site any more.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:44 am

Waco wrote:

Ugh. So basically the exact same things everyone has been saying for almost 2 decades? I don't understand this site any more.

I picked out this:
Other factors are also pushing up costs for game developers. Nearly three-quarters of surveyed executives expect cybersecurity costs to increase, while fully two-thirds say regulatory compliance will become more costly.
Are they talking about Loot Box regulation? I think they're talking about Loot Box regulation...

4. Alternative revenue sources will shine.
"Shine". Also, Loot Boxes are/were this "alternative" revenue source.

Plus, this all seems to be coming from executives, which means the AAA publishers, which means that it's about 50/50 on accuracy. Surely they will try and succeed in these trends, but only for their games. The good news I see for gaming is a rise of "AA" games re-filling the gap between cheap indies and bloated AAA experiences. If the big biz types don't want to cater to that market, I think we will see more small and medium studios try to serve it.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:45 am

Waco wrote:

I guess it's nice to know my future hardware upgrades will be driven by scientific computing instead of gaming... None of that sounds like something I want to feed or contribute to. Maybe I'll finally make headway against my Steam backlog.

Tech Report is like a hermit crab now: the shell's recognizable, but what's living out of it bears no resemblance to what was there before. And you can bet that when a new opportunity arises, that inhabitant will jump ship and leave this place behind. Enjoy the forums... It's pretty much what we have left of the place.
Media: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56, Win10 Pro
Science: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, [...], Xubuntu 18.04 [offline]
Server: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro

Read my words at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 am

Concupiscence wrote:
Tech Report is like a hermit crab now: the shell's recognizable, but what's living out of it bears no resemblance to what was there before. And you can bet that when a new opportunity arises, that inhabitant will jump ship and leave this place behind. Enjoy the forums... It's pretty much what we have left of the place.

Agreed. I hope they keep them up for a while, but I'm expecting to get a DNS for sale record out of the blue...
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 am

Waco wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

Agreed. I hope they keep them up for a while, but I'm expecting to get a DNS for sale record out of the blue...

Sadly, that's exactly my sentiment too. I'll keep coming here while it's here. Was holding out hope for a slow revival early on, but at this point, there is no sign of life.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 am

Waco wrote:

Hold out just a bit longer. As we all know from Paul Serene, the world will end in 2021.

sconesy
Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:29 am

Waco wrote:

Damn... even though I am down to about a once a month visit to the forums, the thought that all this could disappear in a puff of smoke hits me. So much internet history lives on the TR forums..

Igor_Kavinski
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 am

Come on, guys. How about an estimate of TR's current value? $100k? $250k?

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:41 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I doubt it's anywhere near that much. The community has mostly moved on, there's no content, and rankings are falling every day.

https://www.worthofweb.com/website-valu ... eport.com/

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:51 am

chuckula alone is worth at least $50k.

Igor_Kavinski
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I doubt it's anywhere near that much. The community has mostly moved on, there's no content, and rankings are falling every day.

$45k isn't bad. I suppose the current owner won't want to part with TR unless he gets twice that.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

The site's not being fed valuable content. I know the contributors want the site to continue, but there are a jillion link-aggregating commentators existing on the fringes of the video-producing leaders of the tech commentary pack in 2019. If the site was failing while it was providing quality hardware reviews, it's starving to death now that it isn't providing those any more.

I really don't want to be a doomsayer, but unless TR wants to pivot to being a YouTube channel and put up written transcripts of its discussions on this domain, it isn't a question of whether it'll dry up and blow away, but when.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

$45k isn't bad. I suppose the current owner won't want to part with TR unless he gets twice that.

That's assuming ads are being served and the traffic estimates are correct. I can't imagine they're close, given there's no real content to browse if you happen to land here.

There's nothing here of value other than people remembering the TR name. The forums are the only real thing driving traffic, and forums are rarely self-sustaining.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Producing quality video content takes time and money.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Yeah. I don't deny that TR was stuck between a rock and a hard place back when that might have been tenable or less unforgiving, either. It just stinks.

Igor_Kavinski
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Why not just make normal podcast videos? No need for special effects or editing. Just impromptu videos that glow with honesty. Even leave the bloopers in to make them fun to watch. They can start off small and progress to increasing length depending on the complexity of the topic being discussed.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Why not just make normal podcast videos? No need for special effects or editing. Just impromptu videos that glow with honesty. Even leave the bloopers in to make them fun to watch. They can start off small and progress to increasing length depending on the complexity of the topic being discussed.

A GoPro, cogent analysis, and a few bullet points to hit with good camaraderie could go a long way. I don't want to be a downer, and it would be nice to see something fun rise out of the ashes.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

A GoPro, cogent analysis, and a few bullet points to hit with good camaraderie could go a long way. I don't want to be a downer, and it would be nice to see something fun rise out of the ashes.

Yeaaaahh..nah. Sorry to dump, but as someone who is gradually getting deeper into this area purely as a hobby exercise, that era of YouTube was over 5+ years ago. Even a fairly basic channel with minimal editing is going to have an order-of-magnitude multiplier on production time commitment. At minimum, you end up having to rewatch all of the video at least three times -- an average of about twice while editing it, and then once again after the encode/upload to make sure it didn't glitch during the local encode or get mangled by the YouTube ingester.

And if you're going to avoid any special effects, skits, or sidebars, your content better have a very unique niche or angle that nobody else is addressing and a high-volume output to keep your audience interested, because otherwise you'll be competing against 100+ other content creators targeting the same eyeballs. The most barebones, high-traffic channel I can think of is The Lockpicking Lawyer. He's pretty minimal on the video editing but has managed to publish about four episodes a week for the past 3 years of a 4 year channel history, and more recently, find additional time for collaborating with creators on other lock-and-security focused channels.

IOW you can't make money on video content these days unless you're willing to go all-in, one way or the other.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I am happy to be corrected. Sounds like the sheer scale of production for a finite number of (human) eyeballs has rendered my idea untenable. Ah, well.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Waco wrote:

That's assuming ads are being served and the traffic estimates are correct. I can't imagine they're close, given there's no real content to browse if you happen to land here.

There's nothing here of value other than people remembering the TR name. The forums are the only real thing driving traffic, and forums are rarely self-sustaining.

What, you're not waiting in eager anticipation for the next "Top X Things We Found For This Market Grouping" article?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Hey, at least Eric's stuff is relevant. I doubt we'll be getting any more in-depth reviews though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Eric should be commended for pushing forward. He's doing a good job writing up something worth reading every day. It's unfortunate they can't clone him so that there's something new going up hourly-ish during business hours. I think that would cause a nice rebound.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:31 am

Browsing my old haunts I stopped by the [H] ad noticed that since they folded thier forums are still going strong. And are Patreon supported.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 am

@ludi The Lockpicking Lawyer is pretty good viewing. Thanks for the reference.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
@ludi The Lockpicking Lawyer is pretty good viewing. Thanks for the reference.

There went your lab's productivity for the day :D
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 am

Can you please atleast bring back active thread list on front page. Regulars like me usually visit forums and this new layout isn't helping at all.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:24 am

There's an "active topics" list in the forums:
https://techreport.com/forums/search.ph ... ive_topics

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 am

meerkt wrote:

Yeah, that's basically my TR "landing page" now, instead of the front page.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Yeah, that's basically my TR "landing page" now, instead of the front page.

Ditto. I occasionally hit the front page to see if anything interesting has popped up, but it's generally another "ugh" moment when I spot listicles with comments disabled.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:12 am

There is a recent blog section on front page which is repetitive, serves no purpose, if the team can replace it with recent threads that would be great.