Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Something's different...

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Wow, a full year has passed. Time to say thanks to everyone that has helped keep these forums (quite) alive and (quite) decent!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 pm

OTDIH:

- 2019: Zak gets S'd in the B by the new ownership when their godawful design overshadowed a triumphant (yet, unfortunately, temporary) return to form in his "still the best Ryzen 3000 review ever" review of the Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am

Today's, um, article from Renee has raised my eyebrows somewhat...

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:07 am

Norphy wrote:

Read less like an article and more like a checklist, you mean?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:12 am

If only they'd had this amazing checklist prior to a particular site being taken over.

Oh.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:40 am

You mean they posted it as speaking from experience? :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 am

Aranarth wrote:

So much of this is just heartbreaking.

1. Little forethought has gone into the choice to migrate.

"Well I don't know what voodoo this site runs, but I don't like it"

2. You’ve chosen to migrate your site at a bad time of year.

Like the day of the biggest change in CPUs in two years? Yeah that's a bad time of year.

4. You didn’t put your migration through a test run.

Remember last summer when we reported all those bugs that only kinda got fixed? :lol:

6. You forgot to scrub your site of duplicate content.

Or, you know, you forgot to migrate ALL the content, like the subscription management page with the Stripe applet.

7. You are migrating ONLY to grow your traffic and lead sources.

Literally the only reason for the switch to Wordpress. Wordpress in and of itself is not bad; the theme with too little information density is the problem. Still. Over a year later.

8. You cobbled together in-house manpower for the migration like a true DIYer.

Poor askfranklin. :(

10. You’re ignoring the red flags telling you to wait.

You mean like a critically important review going live the same day coupled with the fact that the migration hadn't been tested and finally matched with the fact that the redesign resulted in a slow and ugly site that crapped on the legacy of its founders and crushed the souls of then-current staff?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:12 am

Norphy wrote:

LOL! Oh, wow... the irony...

If only she had Googled those ten things BEFORE they migrated the website...

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

So much of this is just heartbreaking.

1. Little forethought has gone into the choice to migrate.

"Well I don't know what voodoo this site runs, but I don't like it"

2. You’ve chosen to migrate your site at a bad time of year.

Like the day of the biggest change in CPUs in two years? Yeah that's a bad time of year.

4. You didn’t put your migration through a test run.

Remember last summer when we reported all those bugs that only kinda got fixed? :lol:

6. You forgot to scrub your site of duplicate content.

Or, you know, you forgot to migrate ALL the content, like the subscription management page with the Stripe applet.

7. You are migrating ONLY to grow your traffic and lead sources.

Literally the only reason for the switch to Wordpress. Wordpress in and of itself is not bad; the theme with too little information density is the problem. Still. Over a year later.

8. You cobbled together in-house manpower for the migration like a true DIYer.

Poor askfranklin. :(

10. You’re ignoring the red flags telling you to wait.

You mean like a critically important review going live the same day coupled with the fact that the migration hadn't been tested and finally matched with the fact that the redesign resulted in a slow and ugly site that crapped on the legacy of its founders and crushed the souls of then-current staff?

We could add some other final points to the list:

11 - If you're buying a website be sure you understand the market the website is in and the audience the website serves.

12 - If the website has a lively audience be sure to introduce yourselves, answer questions, and be open and honest.

13 - Show your plans for the future and invite your audience along for the ride.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 am

oh of course, those are all true, but I think this was "aimed" at SEO for people upgrading their own stack.

It's like rubbing salt in the wound.

barich
Gerbil

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 am

RTX 3080 review day! And here at TR we have "7 Tech Features to Look for in Your 401k Provider."

:cry:

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Odd topic, I'm not sure any one in benefits management would be interested in that articular and it doesn't help general employees because it's not their call...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Welcome to the world of SEO.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm

tfp wrote:
Odd topic, I'm not sure any one in benefits management would be interested in that articular and it doesn't help general employees because it's not their call...

And anyone who was actually in a position to make decisions would roll their eyes and laugh at that article.

But some algorithm said that "401K" would drive clicks and so our esteemed "editor" had to throw together another list of things any idiot could tell you about whatever.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:42 pm

cphite wrote:
tfp wrote:

And anyone who was actually in a position to make decisions would roll their eyes and laugh at that article.

But some algorithm said that "401K" would drive clicks and so our esteemed "editor" had to throw together another list of things any idiot could tell you about whatever.

Yeah I just don't understand how they is generating any actual traffic but it's easy enough to ignore. :roll:

superjawes

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am

Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in "SEO" content lately? It has me concerned because it kind of feels like: "This thing we own is not generating the revenue we want. Get traffic now or we pull the plug!"
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm

superjawes wrote:
Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in "SEO" content lately? It has me concerned because it kind of feels like: "This thing we own is not generating the revenue we want. Get traffic now or we pull the plug!"

Maybe it's working. The Alexa site info page shows a steady uptick trend over the last ~60 days.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/techreport.com

Astoundingly it's nothing compared to what's happened to PCPer since Shrout left for Intel. If SimilarWeb is to be believed, that site only gets half the traffic of TR, and it actually got a 3080 to review.

Bigbloke
Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm

No front page posts for a week. Not looking good for SEO,

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:13 pm

No capitalizing on the Zen 3 reveal either. There were 300,000+ people watching the stream live.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Deathright

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Seems like content has dropped off and form activity for that matter. Perhaps the end is nigh.
Network theory sucks.

PTRMAN
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:53 am

Perhaps premature, but this seems to be heading to extinction.

If so, this is the second of my favorite IT sites to die. The first was Hardware Logic, I think (can't remember any more).
Anyone have suggestions as to possible replacements if this site bites the dust?
1: 8700K/Aorus Gaming 7/GTX 1080 Ti/2x 16GB Corsair 3200/Acer X34 & 2x U2711/Obsidian 750D AirFlow//Klipsch Promedia 2.1
2: 7700K/Maximus IX Hero/2x GTX 1080 FTW (SLI)/2x 16GB Vengeance LPX/MG28UQ 4K 28"/Corsair 500R/Logitec Z313

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 am

Favorite IT site historically, or nowadays?

For articles I default to AnandTech (but no GeForce 30xx reviews yet?!).
Another option is HotHardware, where derFunkenstein writes.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am

I am actually very sad to see this happening to TR. It isn't fair to this website. :cry:

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:15 am

Life isn't fair. It was quite upsetting when it happened, but I'm basically at Stage 5 now.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Pholostan
Gerbil

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 am

superjawes wrote:
Astoundingly it's nothing compared to what's happened to PCPer since Shrout left for Intel. If SimilarWeb is to be believed, that site only gets half the traffic of TR, and it actually got a 3080 to review.

Community is alive and well around PCPer though, the discord is quite lively. Usually the PCPer staff stream a podcast every week.
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 am

Maybe one of the original guys can buy it back for pennies on the dollar now!

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm

The lack of content lately definitely doesn't bode well. There hasn't been a single mention of any of the recent announcements...I figured at the very least the iPhone 12 announcement would result in a recap article yesterday. Nope.

Seems the majority of tech news is coming out via YouTube (and other streaming sites) these days.

Linus Tech Tips (and the other Linux Media Group channels)
JayzTwoCents
Gamers Nexus
bitwit
Paul's Hardware
And others...

Gamers Nexus also posts their reviews in written form on their website if you prefer to consume your content that way. Steve tends to get more in depth in his reviews and news coverage than the others, all the way down to measuring the flatness of cold plates on CPU/GPU coolers.

LTT has a fairly active forum:

https://linustechtips.com/

The Tech Report missed the boat on transitioning to streaming content. It seemed like they were trying a while back (before the day that shall not be named), but it just petered off. The last video on the official TR channel was posted over two years ago. I don't even know if any efforts were made to monetize that channel.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 pm

However hip Youtube is for tech news, it's moot to me, and I suspect a non-trivial amount of other geeks. I'm not suggesting companies aren't correct to spend there marketing budget there, getting teens to spend their part time job or parents money on a video card or some such. It's simply a horrible medium for tech news. I go to YouTube for a non-trivial amount of media consumption, but for tech news, the info density is horrific. I'll spend 30 seconds if that on a TechPowerUp news post or a few minutes for an article -- definitely not wading through a 15/30/whatever minute video on Youtube for the same material. A rare exception would be where good curation and story telling can add value e.g. something like Barely Sociable.

It will be a very sad day for me if this forum disappears as basically everyone here is competent and professional. The comment section and forum of TechPowerUp makes me loose my hope in humanity. It's not too far from this.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 am

Buub wrote:
Maybe one of the original guys can buy it back for pennies on the dollar now!

Two assumptions this post makes that I don't think are true:

- Adam sold it for a lot of money
- The site is getting significantly less traffic now

It's unlikely Adam made a ton of money on the sale since the business was failing. Also traffic levels, FWIW, haven't really dropped off from their pre-Event status. The site is still seeing around 350k monthly unique visitors, and is spending a lot less on content (even when Eric was posting something every day).

It's likely the site is making money as it is, and so it's unlikely they want to part with it.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:15 am

After a massive hiatus post the "event", I see things are not well. No new front page posts in 2 weeks today? Poor TR....
I first started coming here back in 2006 as a lurker, and eventually signed up. I've never seen it so dead. :(
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!