Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Something's different...

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm curious what happened. I know the basics, the site was sold. Right. By who? To who?

I'm vaguely aware that the site was started by Scott Wasson who... left? Some time ago, so as best I can tell the site was run by a collective of volunteers or something? Wikipedia mentions Andy Brown but if he's around I don't know what his handle/username is.

If someone could clarify or put together some kind of rough timeline I'd be appreciative.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Scott got a job at AMD helping them reduce micro-stuttering in their video drivers (something he'd been the first to discover, explain, and test for) and sold this site to Adam (the biz guy) so that it could keep its journalistic integrity.

Adam wasn't able to keep the site going; I suspect that Scott's industry connections helped keep TR going as long as it did. He was in a bad position and sold the site (alternative was it shutting down, leaving him in significant debt) to the New Management, who shat the bed by changing the site without warning or engaging with the community, and by making some ill-considered front page posts.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:19 pm

bthylafh wrote:
who shat the bed by changing the site without warning or engaging with the community, and by making some ill-considered front page posts.

...and continue to do so, regardless of the changing winds.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 am

bthylafh wrote:
Adam wasn't able to keep the site going; I suspect that Scott's industry connections helped keep TR going as long as it did.

I suspect they hurt as much as they helped. While Scott was basically "hands off" after the handover to Adam, there was a perception (unfounded) that the site was biased against Nvidia, since Scott went to AMD. I seem to recall hearing that they were unable to get Nvidia review samples any more as a result.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 am

Can confirm. In fact, (and I don't think this is giving away anything drfish didn't already say earlier in the thread) Adam contact Nvidia partners directly to make Zak's Super review happened, more than 3.5 years later, because the new regime was unwilling to make any effort.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
because the new regime was unwilling to make any effort.

I still don't understand the new owners. Perhaps they are so wealthy that apathy has no pragmatic consequences to them?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 am

DrCR wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
because the new regime was unwilling to make any effort.

I still don't understand the new owners. Perhaps they are so wealthy that apathy has no pragmatic consequences to them?

Or they just don't understand what they bought.

TBH, we do need to keep in mind that the site was losing money, so continuing "business as usual" under new ownership wasn't a winning strategy either. But this is even worse.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 am

I see that the frontpage comment system has changed since I last checked in. Baby steps in the right direction.

I see brave efforts to keep the frontpage changing on a regular basis, press releases, peripheral reviews, opinion pieces. Sadly without the industry providing review samples to test it's going to be an uphill battle. TPU, for example, has posted 121 big-ticket reviews since the 7th July covering every CPU, AIB GPU review, Case, PSU, AAA game launch and plenty of minor peripherals and accessories.

They may not be up to the creative writing standard us gerbils were used to, but compared to not even having a TR review of these things at all....? No contest.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 pm

The should probably ditch the link to the System guide as it is just shy of a year old. Unless there are some super-secret secret that someone is keeping about it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm

This seems like an exciting time for a system guide update. We’ve got a new GPU architecture and a new desktop CPU architecture with PCIe 4 from AMD, a new fabrication process node from TSMC, generous price cuts from Intel and falling RAM prices. Next month will bring new workstation CPUs from AMD and refreshed higher core counts from Intel for half of their previous pricing. We haven’t had this much processor news in years.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:09 am

From the first post of this thread....

11) Login required before each front page comment

So it's not really a "login". It's something called "name" and "email". By definition, that is not a login. So is it possible that anybody can post comments as "Just Brew It", "Krogoth", or "BIF", for that matter?

It seems to be not even mildly secure and that doubt is the biggest reason that I don't post many comments on the front page anymore. If they're trying to chase us away by destroying our community, I'd say they're doing a great job of it.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:35 am

It isn't a login but it's a crude form of authentication at least. It could be (and was!) much worse in the early days of the New Tech Report.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:17 am

Wirko wrote:
It could be (and was!) much worse in the early days of the New Tech Report.

No it's much worse now. Back then things were fixed daily if not hourly and it wasn't long before it all just worked.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 am

Wirko was talking about The New Tech Report (aka The Cat Report).

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

Yes, I was talking about a brief period when I (or anyone) could post comments as Dam Age, da Mage, d'Amâge, or any other name.

End User

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
This seems like an exciting time for a system guide update. We’ve got a new GPU architecture and a new desktop CPU architecture with PCIe 4 from AMD, a new fabrication process node from TSMC, generous price cuts from Intel and falling RAM prices. Next month will bring new workstation CPUs from AMD and refreshed higher core counts from Intel for half of their previous pricing. We haven’t had this much processor news in years.

One year without an update to the system guide is just a slap in the face.

The only reason I dropped by today was to unsubscribe from a thread.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:46 am

System Guide hasn't really changed that much though. Zen2 desktop platforms are attractive options for their price points. It is difficult to recommend Intel counterparts unless you absolutely need single-threaded performance no matter the cost or need AVX512 support. Navi caused a little price disruption in the mid-tier section of the GPU market but nothing earth-shattering. RTX 2080 and above are still kings of the hill in the gaming GPU world. 1660 and 1660Ti are the budget-minded powerhouses until AMD RTG releases little Navi. Memory prices are more sane then last year and soild-state media are at bargain basement prices.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

End User

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 pm

That kind of thinking killed the site.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Wrong, it is more like the times have changed.

Being a computer hardware enthusiast isn't really that special anymore. All of the exciting stuff is happening on HPC/enterprise side. There's no killer mainstream application that makes desktop system over a decade ago woefully inadequate. You would be hard-pressed to find a non-professional user case for something beyond a Ryzen 9 3900X/Core i9-9900K rig. You can arguably push that as far as a Ryzen 5 3600/Core i7-9600K rig. In short, desktop/laptop PCs are nothing more than commodity goods.

Desktop PC sales have been on the decline for while now and mainstream laptops are starting to feel it too. Reviewing PC hardware has shifted towards video review(s) instead of breaking down charts and reading through multi-page reviews.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.

No decade-old desktop PC is adequate for modern games.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Redocbew

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 pm

But GPUs are doomed! Doomed I say!

The end is nigh!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:16 pm

A new hope: Percentile info spotted in the wild, not just avg fps.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:54 pm

DrCR wrote:
A new hope: Percentile info spotted in the wild, not just avg fps.

Also AnandTech, and it's been there for a while.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Obvious troll is obvious.

No decade-old desktop PC is adequate for modern games.

Yes, it is unless you are a die-hard videophile or need an insane framerate a.k.a tiny, but vocal minority. The masses and most current gamers play their content whatever the auto-settings chooses for them. The difference between "Ultra" and "High" in most games is subtle at best and "medium" detail isn't really that bad. It is only "low" where loss of graphical fidelity becomes painfully apparent. As long as the framerate sustains ~50-60FPS, most gamers are content with it.

The reason is because gaming consoles have been dictating the baseline for nearly everything out there and there's no economic incentive to create a PC exclusive that pushes the envelope hard. Crysis 1 was the last serious attempt at pushing the evelope and it had mediocre market performance.

A sizeable number of PC enthusiast have already given up chasing the constant upgrading wheel. The returns aren't what they are used to be unless you use your system for real-world work.

FYI, my current 9700K is only sightly faster then my previous 3570K rig at gaming stuff. 9700K only shows it prowess when you throw real-world workloads at it. I suppose that the advent of the PS5 and Next-Generation Xbox will finally raise the bar high enough that quad-core rigs might start becoming inadequate.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:57 pm

A 10 year old GPU is not usable today.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 am

Nothing that's 10 years old is usable today unless all you do is browse the internet.

I remember what my PC was like 10 years ago. I mean, even my PC from just 8 years ago would be unusable today, and a few of the games wouldn't even start up due to not meeting the bare minimum requirements.

Edit: This doesn't necessarily mean you need a new PC every year like you might have done 20 years ago. And that's the problem. "Someone" will need an updated system guide every year, but my guess is the total amount of people has been decreasing, because a given build serves them for 2, 3, sometimes 4 or even 5 years, which results in readers and ad revenue spreading out over time and forcing publications to catch extra attention elsewise.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:22 am

Krogoth wrote:
There's no killer mainstream application that makes desktop system over a decade ago woefully inadequate.
Meadows wrote:
Nothing that's 10 years old is usable today unless all you do is browse the internet.

The hyperbole from both of you is killing me.

A 10 year old desktop (assuming the HDD and GPU are still original) will be pretty darned painful to use unless you've never known anything better.

But with a SSD and GPU upgrade (and with the RAM maxed out), it'll still be perfectly fine for a wide range of tasks, assuming it was a mid- to high-end system 10 years ago. Will the performance knock your socks off? Of course not. But it'll get the job done.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 am

Krogoth wrote:
A sizeable number of PC enthusiast have already given up chasing the constant upgrading wheel. The returns aren't what they are used to be unless you use your system for real-world work.

I cant argue with that. I remember a time when I upgraded something every six months and tried for full builds every two years. my current CPU is a i7 6700K my GPU is way newer and is a 1080. It's just now 5 years later that I am thinking of doing a full build. It was just nice to see the System guide always be there even if I didnt use it yearly.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:31 am

10 years ago we're talking the middle to end of the Core 2 era with 45-nm Wolfdale CPUs. A Core 2 Quad 9550 wouldn't be horrible but it's not really a useful system these days. It'd have to be an HEDT system to be at all not painful to use, like a Core i7-920 or better.

The current PC landscape has changed significantly since the last system guide update only partly because of Zen 2. Also don't forget Navi, Super Turing, and the ever-falling price of RAM. To say there's nothing worth writing about is completely moronic. The value has shifted significantly and the current system guide is a sad way to be.

And not everybody upgrades annually. Someone with a 3-5 year old system can realize big gains through faster speeds, more cores, and upgraded graphics.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 am

These days I typically do a minor upgrade (same platform and DRAM tech) every 2-3 years, and a new "from scratch" build every 4-6. Given that I don't game any more, even that is overkill; I could probably just do the 4-6 year cycle and skip the intermediate upgrades.