Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Something's different...

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:59 am

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:06 am

"Longtime customers have come to expect a certain experience. That means anything that doesn’t fit — be it a single message on a social media platform or an entire product line — must adapt or go."
:wink:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:54 am

Yeah I thought that was an oddly timed article. Is it subliminal messaging? I guess we shall see.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 pm

the robots signalling something?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
the robots signalling something?

Yeah, #5 is alive.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Pholostan
Gerbil

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:49 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Pretty cool:

I like interviews like that. PCPer seems to have survived the exodus to Intel last year, their podcast is still going strong. Josh Walrath has also made some interviews recently. Oh, and last podcast was a bit of a special with David Hewlett on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ6Krjb7ESk
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 am

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/o ... -16783.pdf

So this means scraping publicly available data is legal and making a copy of the entire TR forums for preservation wouldn't be illegal?

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 pm

I won't even start reading because I can't possibly understand a word of it. However, isn't every single forum post copyrighted by someone? That someone could be the forum owner (in which case, I smell a problem) or the author of the post (in which case, I smell thousands of problems).

There's also a difference between just scraping the data for yourself and making it publicly available too. Are you talking about the latter possibility?

Igor_Kavinski

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Wirko wrote:
There's also a difference between just scraping the data for yourself and making it publicly available too. Are you talking about the latter possibility?

Yes, the latter. I didn't think much about that distinction. That wouldn't seem to be fair, but maybe making it publicly available AFTER the original source is no longer available is fine?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Yes, the latter. I didn't think much about that distinction. That wouldn't seem to be fair, but maybe making it publicly available AFTER the original source is no longer available is fine?

It'll depend on the whims of the rights owner(s), if any. Assuming someone else does own the rights, you would be in violation of copyright law. Whether that would be enforced is another matter.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:23 am

There's a lot of things I miss about the good 'ol TR days, but I got to say.... the noise to signal ratio is so much higher on other tech sites. TPU is mainly what I lurk these days, but sometimes it feels like the comment section is filled with stereotypical middle-schoolers or some such. [/oldgrump]

Igor, I'd have to echo Wirko and JBI's post. I would be one thing to scrape it for yourself, but to make it publicly available may be more of an adventure than what you desire.

humusakacfa
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 am

As a new poster here I have to say that I find forum design and layout very clean and easy to use.

Changes are never going to be popular, but I frequent many boards which would be put to shame with the current TR design :)

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 am

Welcome to TR Forums! And, yep. Agree wholeheartedly.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:30 am

humusakacfa wrote:
many boards which would be put to shame with the current TR design :)

Try the blue theme, if you haven't already.

BIF

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 am

Hi and happy new year, to all.

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

It'll depend on the whims of the rights owner(s), if any. Assuming someone else does own the rights, you would be in violation of copyright law. Whether that would be enforced is another matter.
Why would we even try to save it, and take on the risk that we could get sued for that? Really, I'm thinking only 20% of it would be relevant anymore; maybe even only 10%.

Seriously, I don't think any posts about the old Intel BX chipsets or old AGP graphic cards would be worth the trouble or the legal risk.

"Let it go, Mako, just let it go!"

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:19 am

It's just people's posts on a forum, and there's no litigious megacorp in the background. If anyone's the owner it's probably the people.

I have no idea what the terms stated in the past, but right now the only thing I find upon registration doesn't say anything about ownership. Even if it did, I do wonder if it's necessarily enforceable in practice. Maybe also the user's jurisdiction affects matters.

BTW: I retain all rights to my posts. Your reading of this message constitutes an agreement to be bound by these terms. You are granted a limited non-transferable permission to read and quote the posts. I may update these terms from time to time on an ongoing basis. You can refer to this post for the current version of the terms. The full terms can be accessed here. :)

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 am

BIF wrote:

But I have a dream. The entire content of these forums could be great fodder for training a neural network. Then imagine people posting in a forum and getting responses from TR regulars with the text statistics of the responses matching those of the original TR members. Like having an immortal online personality.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:31 am

meerkt wrote:
BTW:

Learn to use fine print properly. Fine print doesn't just mean 15% smaller letters, which most people can read.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
BIF wrote:

But I have a dream. The entire content of these forums could be great fodder for training a neural network. Then imagine people posting in a forum and getting responses from TR regulars with the text statistics of the responses matching those of the original TR members. Like having an immortal online personality.

Uhh... so a bot giving years-out-of-date answers to technical questions? What would be the point of that?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
Uhh... so a bot giving years-out-of-date answers to technical questions? What would be the point of that?

Becase the Samsung Capacitor issue STILL exists today. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 am

just brew it! wrote:

AI bots learn and evolve. They would learn from TR forums how issues were solved and pick up troubleshooting skills as well as how to point people to good sources of information. Wouldn't you feel proud if JBI the bot helps people brew the perfect beer long after you are gone?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Igor is right. The bots I build and manage at my work are 'learning' per se. Hell I have bots that have full on text conversations with people and they dont even know it. I am ashamed that I am helping build SkyNet, but not really.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:43 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Igor is right. The bots I build and manage at my work are 'learning' per se. Hell I have bots that have full on text conversations with people and they dont even know it. I am ashamed that I am helping build SkyNet, but not really.

Do you have a hobby conversational bot hosted online for us to try?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 pm

No not for public consumption. But it would be cool to try an homegrown one just for a forum. However, the market is getting really crowded with shrink-wrapped solutions, I am sure there's one out there. And I think phpBB supports bots natively.

Ninja Edit: I have been messing with Discord's bot and can already make it do interesting things. I have been using it on my Guild's WoW Discord to automatically update raider.io, iLevel, and AP levels for raiders.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:20 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I have bots that have full on text conversations with people and they dont even know it.

Amazon used to have fishy bots. Now, I'm not sure. Still bots?

Wirko wrote:

Also 1% is easy to read.

Deathright

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Having lag getting the forums, did the owners cut the budget for the bandwidth?
Network theory sucks.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:44 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

AI bots learn and evolve. They would learn from TR forums how issues were solved and pick up troubleshooting skills as well as how to point people to good sources of information. Wouldn't you feel proud if JBI the bot helps people brew the perfect beer long after you are gone?

AI bots that are available for public use today are mostly ML style bots that excel at quickly iterating over large amounts of trainable data points and molding their fitness, and continuing in that narrowly focused scope based on human-guided feedback (rewards). Historically chatbots have sucked at natural language processing and learning, however this is now rapidly changing.

I was at Microsoft Ignite this year, and even their rudimentary chatbots could be spoon-fed data and learn to respond with a personality and with respect to culture. Give these programs a KB to feed two different programs the same set of data, and have one respond more bluntly for a business-professional approach, and another could basically flirt with your chatbot users and use uWu-speech if you wanted. Both would ultimately attempt to respond to user input, find the 'answer', and then massage that answer for the response style you wanted.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Deathright wrote:
Having lag getting the forums, did the owners cut the budget for the bandwidth?

whole site is lagging for me. I'm looking at it less and less frequently as a result.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Seems much better today than it was yesterday.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Seems much better today than it was yesterday.

Same for me as well.