Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: Something's different...

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 am

Tony is around, but I don't think he has any hardware to play with.

The BBQ was a nice boost to morale/source of motivation, but it's wearing off. The truth is a lot of the people at the BBQ are BBQ regulars more than TR regulars at this point, and have been for some time. Also, another month has passed without any of the changes I expected to see by now.

The working title for the Alexa review is actually "The other woman: Three years with Alexa" —so, you're not far off.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 am

drfish wrote:
Hate to break it to you, truly, but Zak is done. His last review was his last review. At this point I'm not expecting anyone to take that particular torch, which means TuRk/frame time testing won't be used, which means if anyone ever wants to use it again it will be massively outdated—and without Bruno around to update it...

That sucks. :( If/when the inevitable does happen, who owns the codebase for TuRk? Could it be community owned/maintained? Even if it dies out for professional use, perhaps a community effort could at least maintain some of the usefulness going forward.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am

It's a proprietary tool that is owned by TR. "The new guys" own it until they decide to do something else with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:36 am

I'm trying to carry the "frame time torch" (my second article on the topic should go live today on HH) but since I have a day job it's going to be in limited doses. Trying to find a way to do it intelligently without just completely ripping off TR's metrics. Instead of "time spent beyond X" I'm going for a frame time grouping sort of thing, so "between 33.3 and 16.7" and the like. And, with some guidance from a couple others that I've talked to, try to educate people who are new to the concept why it matters and how to read frame times.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am

drfish wrote:
For my part, TR-morale is extremely low and I think I'm nearing the end of my ability to contribute. Shortbread isn't worth my time if hardly anyone is engaging in the comments and my big list of future stories looks more like work than fun to me now. Here's the list in case anyone is curious...

Six month update on my solar panel experiences
A story about my paludarium/BBQ gift
AmazonBasics trackball review
Prototype lightweight inflatable mouse idea/build
Asus Ai Mesh mini-review
Echo Auto review
Three years with Alexa retrospective
Watercooled VR 3.0
Xbox Adaptive Controller revisit
Gerbil's choice portable NAND grudge match

I'd enjoy seeing that six month solar update, at least. I've got a mixed print/video review of a Harbor Freight solar battery charger in the works to try and round off the things left hanging in my recent blog entry. Sticking to a couple print pages and 30 minute run-time, though, with no TR intellectual property used in the video feature. FWIW I don't consider earPod iGerbil to be TR property, since I bodged that up from scratch using stock photos :D
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am

drfish wrote:
It's a proprietary tool that is owned by TR. "The new guys" own it until they decide to do something else with it.

Sigh. I guess it'll die like everything else then. That sucks.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Waco wrote:
drfish wrote:

Sigh. I guess it'll die like everything else then. That sucks.

Someone grab the source code............. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm

that also belongs to them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm

drfish wrote:
Hate to break it to you, truly, but Zak is done. His last review was his last review. At this point I'm not expecting anyone to take that particular torch, which means TuRk/frame time testing won't be used, which means if anyone ever wants to use it again it will be massively outdated—and without Bruno around to update it... Well, you get the idea. I'll be surprised if TR produces a CPU/GPU review again. Furthermore, I don't know of any efforts to work with vendors to secure SSDs, cases, headsets, peripherals, etc. I think all of those kind of reviews may be done as well. Things could be happening behind the scenes that I don't know about, though (Tony, Eric, and Nathan haven't said they're done or anything, I'm just speculating that they may not have any new hardware coming their way).

No worries. It wasn't hard to guess, I just hadn't seen it stated anywhere and wanted to give TR all reasonable credit on that front.

With that, the misattribution outweighs everything else, and I'm out of the front page for good. I'll still keep an eye on the forums.

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm trying to carry the "frame time torch" (my second article on the topic should go live today on HH) but since I have a day job it's going to be in limited doses. Trying to find a way to do it intelligently without just completely ripping off TR's metrics. Instead of "time spent beyond X" I'm going for a frame time grouping sort of thing, so "between 33.3 and 16.7" and the like. And, with some guidance from a couple others that I've talked to, try to educate people who are new to the concept why it matters and how to read frame times.

A very good article, thank you! The frame num versus frame time graphs are great to see there, and while it's more expected in a game review than a GPU review, I particularly like seeing the performance at lower settings.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
that also belongs to them.

My statement stands. As sad as it is.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:31 pm

tanker27, I get what you're saying because it'll go to waste. It's just that I don't think anybody's willing to test those waters with these people. They have money and...uh...we don't. They'll squash it pretty easily, and as it is their property that's their right.

synthel2, thank you for the kind words. :) I feel like performance scaling based on settings is a relatively unexplored topic where only a handful of people really do it well. Digital Foundry at Eurogamer, of course. Gamer's Nexus used to do it but their last article is 18 months old. Value and performance scaling are a niche that HH could build and if I can help keep the whole "inside the second" motif alive I'm very happy to do it. I pumped out that article in a weekend (submitted Sunday, edited in time for release today) without killing myself over it, but honestly half that time was just taking screenshots and playing the game, which I was going to do regardless, and I still made room for family time.

edit: I got this response, which absolutely made my day: https://twitter.com/scottwasson/status/ ... 9995431936

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
tanker27, I get what you're saying because it'll go to waste. It's just that I don't think anybody's willing to test those waters with these people. They have money and...uh...we don't. They'll squash it pretty easily, and as it is their property that's their right.

I know :cry:

derFunkenstein wrote:
edit: I got this response, which absolutely made my day: https://twitter.com/scottwasson/status/ ... 9995431936

That's effing cool! BTW I joined HH and am now following it and you. As for their Forums, yeah its dead over there. I think I saw a post 28 days ago and most thread have been languishing for 2+ years.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 am

It just needs a dedicated group of people to bring some life. :)

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am

So article comments got updated. What do we think? Better or worse?

And I'd ask if this was a response from management, but...you know.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 am

Adding a rich text editor to format comments and reducing the indentation is the very definition of low-hanging fruit, and while it's nice, it's not forum integration.

edit: there's a fix for upvote abuse, which is really nice.

Xolore
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 am

Looks like I'm gonna need to update my CSS again.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 pm

yousavedourlivesweareeternallygrateful.gif

superjawes

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Don't think so. As with the old new system, just wait or come back later, and you can probably vote again.

I doubt the issue will be fixed until the forum logins are integrated. By that I mean IF they ever get integrated.

EDIT: don't even have to wait! I just hammered the downvote on my own comment to get -10.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Adding a rich text editor to format comments and reducing the indentation is the very definition of low-hanging fruit, and while it's nice, it's not forum integration.

A quick peek at the source strongly suggests all they did was install this plugin. After 2 MONTHS.

I am a tech director for a school district, and we've updated our site more this month than TR. That doesn't sound bad, until you understand this is our busiest month of the year, and web updates are very low on our priority list! At this point TR gets less attention than many personal hobby websites, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

liquidsquid

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am

Well, at least this hung on far longer than my original gaming tech site "Stomped", which was abandoned in favor of hosting LAN parties if I remember correctly. That is when I came here, and that is a long time ago.

To be honest, TR hasn't influenced a tech purchase for me for years. Most of the stuff reviewed was out of the price range of what am willing to pay for. Most of the hardware reviewed on the bleeding edge has far more capability than I would ever use. Not to mention my eyesight isn't what it once was, so 4K is lost on me.

Interesting to read to see the technical improvements, and well presented materials, but in all honesty it was farts in the wind.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 am

superjawes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Don't think so. As with the old new system, just wait or come back later, and you can probably vote again.

I doubt the issue will be fixed until the forum logins are integrated. By that I mean IF they ever get integrated.

EDIT: don't even have to wait! I just hammered the downvote on my own comment to get -10.

Ugh. That didn't seem to be happening yesterday, but today I can definitely reproduce it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: after a bit I get "you've already voted on this comment" and refresh teh screen to see the counts reset. I'm not sure that it's actually keeping the spam votes.

superjawes

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ugh. That didn't seem to be happening yesterday, but today I can definitely reproduce it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One hilarious thing I noticed is that I would often be blocked by a "you have already voted on this comment" message, but I could add more votes while the message was still displayed. Like a multi-vote would trigger the message and be blocked, but the block doesn't work while the message is active.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 am

I unliked TR on Facebook this morning when I, again, saw a Renee article right next to a repost of a sale post from 4 months ago. I've been maintaining hope (and still visiting the forums) but the main page is effectively dead. The comments update was minimal effort at best and it's still utterly broken.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:03 am

Unlike the official CSS, Xolore's updated theme makes comment threading usable. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:46 am

Just popping in to weep and show solidarity. Misery loveth company and all that jazz...

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Unlike the official CSS, Xolore's updated theme makes comment threading usable. :lol:

There's a very simple way to improve the commenting system even further.

Xolore could develop a userscript that would zap the official system, and instead insert HTML generated from forum threads. On first comment the script would start a new thread under The Back Porch. A special dedicated thread (or post) would serve as a thread_id-article_id map. The voting system would require some thought but can be implemented as well. Afterwards, Xolore could move on to implement features based on gerbil votes.

Xolore
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Heh. I appreciate the vote of confidence but linking article comments to the forum in any way would almost certainly require some amount of access, time, ambition, and possibly even talent I don't have. I could probably do small things like next/previous buttons on multi-page articles with user scripts, but that's about it. Got a day job to work and all that.

Truth be told such linking may take an actual significant amount of heavier dev work to link the 2 separate systems. I suspect it was only possible in the old site due to the highly custom nature of the site and the time/talents of those who worked on it. The technical choices made by the new crew don't fill me with much belief that they have any willingness (or possibly ability) to sink the kind of dev work into this site it'd take to give people what they want from a functionality standpoint. We all got pretty spoiled with all that integration we used to have.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am

I am sure the forum and comments can be easily linked, for example the way TechPowerUp did it. But why bother with this? Tech Report has no unique content anymore (other than the way video cards benchmarked, and even those tests are too late to be relevant and do not use big enough variety of games), and even the news are much worse than on other sites and forums (the Shortbread stuff does not come often enough and does not cover enough stuff that happens in hardware world, same for other posts that still appear on front page). And the new owners are not interested in hiring paid content creators, they are only interested in simple-minded fools willing to write stuff "for exposure", they said it themselves on the "guest writers" page. Who do you expect to use this comment system? A 2-3 remaining people? Or search engine bots? ;-) You won't see it being actively used, with this amount of comments for articles:
https://www.techpowerup.com/259139/amd- ... nch-window
So why bother? Honest question. And no, I am not trying to be negative, just trying to be a realist.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Bigbloke
Gerbil

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:29 am

JohnC wrote:
So why bother? Honest question. And no, I am not trying to be negative, just trying to be a realist.

Yeah same feeling here. The best bit of TR for me was the comments system. It was neat, tidy, easy to follow and didn't require endless scrolling like almost all other sites I have seen. This meant that most articles (which although getting fewer were still high quality) had lots of bright and interesting people saying great things. TR was my everyday site for geeky computer nerdism in my wide portfolio of web topics. I miss it terribly now. I really can't stand the new look and feel, it is ****!, and so I now rarely bother with it. I find forums rather too time involving with all the sections and stuff so have never really gelled in them. In fact since the death of TR front page I have spent more time in the forums than in the entire previous 17 years!

I have also given up folding for TR (I was #4, I haven't looked for weeks so don't know where I am now), as I feel no empathy to the new owners to use my electricity to promote their site.

In fact like Dr Fish I feel pretty meh about PCs and stuff now :(

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 am

Bigbloke wrote:
In fact like Dr Fish I feel pretty meh about PCs and stuff now :(

That's why my contributions, however long they last, are focused around stuff that does interest me while keeping at least a tangential connection to either forum discussions or the original site focus.

Although I did finally install Cakewalk last night in order to kick the tires after an 18-year hiatus, and between that and Filmora I'm discovering that I may finally be short a lot of CPU and some amount of soundcard as well.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration