Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

rechicero
Gerbil

Re: Something's different...

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Ok, time passed. Reading how Dr.Fish lost his hope, how Zak went, how... Not easy.

For the first time in this century I stopped checking TR daily. I miss it. Come on, I even miss some gerbils that Ï found obnoxious in the past! XD

But we should put this into perspective.

Many of us were reading TR when Nokia was THE phone.

Hell, a few of us probably were scrolling this site with one of those nasty mice with a ball inside. And then optical mice came, and I never had to clean the balls again. Ok, this sounded better in my head.

Apple was close to extinction. IBM was making and selling PCs. Then the iPod arrived. And the iPhone. And Android. And Nokia was bought, and disappeared as a phone maker. And Apple became the most valued company in the World. And IBM stopped selling Personal Computers. F**ing IBM stopped making computers!!!!

We've seen titans rising and falling.

And the world itself changed. There was a time without Youtube. Without Facebook.

And the TechReport was there.

It was never a titan, but it survived, somehow. And now... it was just his turn.

It's sad, but I appreciate that they gave me the time to mourn, to accept it and to say thanks to all the ppl that made TR possible. They gave Adam some money back, right? They gave us the time to say "Farewell" instead of finding a blank page or a broken link.

So, thanks for this last few decades guys. Thanks to every single one of you, specially to the ones creating such great articles.

And farewell.

And best of lucks.

Javi

PS: Renee, please say "Hi!" to the bots for me!

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Bigbloke wrote:
Yeah same feeling here. The best bit of TR for me was the comments system. It was neat, tidy, easy to follow and didn't require endless scrolling like almost all other sites I have seen.

Thanks, that was the first big project I did for TR and remains one of my proudest one to date.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

blastdoor
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:58 am

morphine wrote:
Bigbloke wrote:
Yeah same feeling here. The best bit of TR for me was the comments system. It was neat, tidy, easy to follow and didn't require endless scrolling like almost all other sites I have seen.

Thanks, that was the first big project I did for TR and remains one of my proudest one to date.

You should be proud — it was a great system.

Is it feasible to replicate elsewhere?

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am

ludi wrote:
30 minute run-time

Speaking of runtime... I was thinking, you might get more YT views with a more descriptive title.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 am

drfish wrote:
Hate to break it to you, truly, but Zak is done. His last review was his last review. <snip> Furthermore, I don't know of any efforts to work with vendors to secure SSDs, cases, headsets, peripherals, etc. I think all of those kind of reviews may be done as well.

That's pretty much the last rites being read, right there.

drfish wrote:
I think I'm nearing the end of my ability to contribute. Shortbread isn't worth my time if hardly anyone is engaging in the comments and my big list of future stories looks more like work than fun to me now.

You've done more than enough; Write for somewhere that rewards you if you're going to keep writing at all.
TR stopped being worth contributing to a while ago and you don't owe the new owners a thing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm

blastdoor wrote:
morphine wrote:
Bigbloke wrote:

You should be proud — it was a great system.

Is it feasible to replicate elsewhere?

Source code ain't ours, but I guess I could write it again heh.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:12 am

morphine wrote:
Bigbloke wrote:

Pride certainly well placed. I miss it greatly. If you happen to work with TechPowerUp to introduce it to their site, I certainly wouldn't complain...

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
To be honest, TR hasn't influenced a tech purchase for me for years. Most of the stuff reviewed was out of the price range of what am willing to pay for. Most of the hardware reviewed on the bleeding edge has far more capability than I would ever use.

Similar sentiments here. TR used to influence my view on a number of PC parts 10 to 15 years ago or so, but then a divergence started to appear. At one point I was even arguing with Mr Wasson himself about whether or not 1080p is still worth testing, back when brand new 4K monitors were coming out. I pointed out Steam statistics of nearly 80% of players having 1080p (at the time), then Mr Wasson pointed at the new 4K screens and went "but these are the best, get with the times", just like that.

Regardless, I continued reading and visiting the site, but observed a slow skew toward high-margin technology, ever in search of more views and engagement, I assume.

Even so, I like to think that it's not TR's fault that I've simply been caring less about PC hardware as time went on. PCs today are nothing like what they were 10-15 years ago. Back then you had a reason to upgrade something every year. Nowadays? My last two computer purchases have served me for 3+ years each and I barely even noticed the difference. No sense of "being held back", no sense of 16 vs 32 bit graphics, no sense of 32 vs 64 bit CPUs, no sense of memory limitations, no sense of 128 simultaneous audio channels with effects, and no new game coming out that could choke my PC to death unless I spent a couple hundred more on stuff. Most of the metrics that matter to the average person have reached their respective plateaus long ago. Hell, you're not even encouraged to overclock your CPU anymore with all the modern turbo logic.

TR didn't have the manpower to diversify their topics fast enough and broad enough, even with the old guard. Maybe there was no way it would have survived at the moderate scale they've always operated on.

blastdoor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 am

Meadows wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:
To be honest, TR hasn't influenced a tech purchase for me for years. Most of the stuff reviewed was out of the price range of what am willing to pay for. Most of the hardware reviewed on the bleeding edge has far more capability than I would ever use.

Similar sentiments here. TR used to influence my view on a number of PC parts 10 to 15 years ago or so, but then a divergence started to appear. At one point I was even arguing with Mr Wasson himself about whether or not 1080p is still worth testing, back when brand new 4K monitors were coming out. I pointed out Steam statistics of nearly 80% of players having 1080p (at the time), then Mr Wasson pointed at the new 4K screens and went "but these are the best, get with the times", just like that.

Regardless, I continued reading and visiting the site, but observed a slow skew toward high-margin technology, ever in search of more views and engagement, I assume.

Even so, I like to think that it's not TR's fault that I've simply been caring less about PC hardware as time went on. PCs today are nothing like what they were 10-15 years ago. Back then you had a reason to upgrade something every year. Nowadays? My last two computer purchases have served me for 3+ years each and I barely even noticed the difference. No sense of "being held back", no sense of 16 vs 32 bit graphics, no sense of 32 vs 64 bit CPUs, no sense of memory limitations, no sense of 128 simultaneous audio channels with effects, and no new game coming out that could choke my PC to death unless I spent a couple hundred more on stuff. Most of the metrics that matter to the average person have reached their respective plateaus long ago. Hell, you're not even encouraged to overclock your CPU anymore with all the modern turbo logic.

TR didn't have the manpower to diversify their topics fast enough and broad enough, even with the old guard. Maybe there was no way it would have survived at the moderate scale they've always operated on.

Isn't the legend of Wasson leaving ArsTechncia that he wanted to focus narrowly on PC stuff while Cesar wanted to go broader with Ars? I guess it's clear who was right on that one.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm

blastdoor wrote:
Isn't the legend of Wasson leaving ArsTechncia that he wanted to focus narrowly on PC stuff while Cesar wanted to go broader with Ars? I guess it's clear who was right on that one.

Okay, i give. Which one?

I mean, that was like, 20 years ago, a timespan known in the publishing biz as "an eternity." Both sites were successful for what they were in a roughly 10-15 year stretch until the rise of app-driven mobile devices and the resulting consolidation of the web into corporately-amalgamated portals. Neither site has maintained its original focus since then. TR was a deep-dive PC hardware review site, Ars was a deep-dive technology discussion zone, and both did well at what they did. Neither is that now. Yeah, Ars has a much better shot at still being here this time next year, but only because it became TED-light. Still interesting, but nothing like what it used to be.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:30 pm

ludi wrote:
I mean, that was like, 20 years ago, a timespan known in the publishing biz as "an eternity." Both sites were successful for what they were in a roughly 10-15 year stretch until the rise of app-driven mobile devices and the resulting consolidation of the web into corporately-amalgamated portals. Neither site has maintained its original focus since then. TR was a deep-dive PC hardware review site, Ars was a deep-dive technology discussion zone, and both did well at what they did. Neither is that now. Yeah, Ars has a much better shot at still being here this time next year, but only because it became TED-light. Still interesting, but nothing like what it used to be.

Is it better for a site to die, or is it better for a site to lose all relevance?

I think Anandtech found a third way - changing with the tech of the times. Then again, this could be a stop-gap measure as the pace of mobile hardware updates slows and slows.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Ars is still relevant. Just not to much of their original core audience.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

pencilgun
Gerbil In Training

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I gloat. Banned for dissing your resident smart guy, I simply called him an idiot in conversation, nothing even close what he said, but hey.

Now you are effectively dead and it does stink. I gloat. ;)

Those who knew me, can figure it out from my new name. Bye.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:45 pm

You seem like a pretty big deal.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:

It's a successful site, true. Although its continuing relevance is mostly irrelevant to us.

(I still read it for the science articles)

blastdoor
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I read it back then, I read it today.

But arguably I am no longer part of their original core audience because my interests today are pretty different (but not 100% different) than back then. So at least from my point of view, Ars changed with the world around it while TR remained fairly static.

Don't get me wrong... I'd be thrilled if TR circa 2010 could still exist in the same form as back then. But even if it did, it would receive a smaller share of my attention today than it did back then. To maintain the same share of my attention, TR would have needed to expand/change. That didn't happen. And I think that's the crux of the problem.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I think Anandtech found a third way - changing with the tech of the times. Then again, this could be a stop-gap measure as the pace of mobile hardware updates slows and slows.

Taking intel payola for review perks certainly helped too
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

cygnus1
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am

just brew it! wrote:

blastdoor wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I read it back then, I read it today.

But arguably I am no longer part of their original core audience because my interests today are pretty different (but not 100% different) than back then. So at least from my point of view, Ars changed with the world around it while TR remained fairly static.

Don't get me wrong... I'd be thrilled if TR circa 2010 could still exist in the same form as back then. But even if it did, it would receive a smaller share of my attention today than it did back then. To maintain the same share of my attention, TR would have needed to expand/change. That didn't happen. And I think that's the crux of the problem.

Le sigh... alright, we're talking about other sites enough now so I want to share my full feelings on what's been happening. I don't read just one tech site, so without mentioning the others it's been hard to put all the feelings about what's happened at TR in my context.

TR and Ars have been my main 2 daily reads for longer than I care to admit. Sure, others have been in there for a bit, Tom's in it's hay day, and AT too. But TR and Ars are the ones that have been a habit for all of nearly the last 2 decades. (ok I admitted it). The percentage of what Ars publishes that I read has been dwindling over the last couple years as they diversify into new areas (board games and cars, wtf?). Because it's been slower there, I guess it hasn't hurt as much as what's happened at TR. This fairly sudden (in context of a couple decades) crumbling of the remaining bits of TR has definitely hit hard because it forces those of us that have been around a long time to somewhat redefine ourselves and/or our routines, and that's never comfortable when it's not by choice.

I haven't given up on TR, I'm not at the point of taking it out of my news feed, it's just not at the top of the list any more. But if the day comes that I do end up removing it from my news feed altogether, that will be a very sad day indeed. I do actually have faith that the new owners might do something I like with it. Mainly because it's in their financial interests to do that. It might not be the TR of old but, like Ars of today, it might still be pretty good overall though.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:47 pm

pencilgun wrote:
I gloat. Banned for dissing your resident smart guy, I simply called him an idiot in conversation, nothing even close what he said, but hey.

Now you are effectively dead and it does stink. I gloat. ;)

Those who knew me, can figure it out from my new name. Bye.
Find any good building corners recently?
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:21 pm

cygnus1, I'd just append anandtech to that list.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 am

Since this is kind of the de facto communication thread, I just wanted to take a sec to say that I've decided to put Shortbread on hiatus.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks drfish. Hiatus hints temporary. Something a-brewing?

cygnus1
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:44 am

Mr Bill wrote:
cygnus1, I'd just append anandtech to that list.

For sure, they were in there, AT = AnandTech

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

meerkt wrote:
Thanks drfish. Hiatus hints temporary. Something a-brewing?

I'm not sure yet, nothing brewing, this is 100% my own call. As mentioned previously, I'm a bit burned out and on top of that there's been less free time recently. So, Shortbread was an easy thing to cut. I'm still debating if I want to do feature pieces again, but there's just been no time and I want to manage expectations with everyone.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 am

Shame to hear about the Shortbread, but I understand. Take care of yourself and your dayjob first. Let us know if things change.

In the short term, do we want to keep sharing news articles we find around the web here in the forums? If so, do we just dump in DYMT, or should we start a megathread on The Back Porch?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:51 pm

I don't know about news articles, but perhaps post re reviews that successfully differentiate from others? I tried to read a video card review recently, for example, and lacking frame time analysis / percentile info was a harsh reality check.

superjawes wrote:
In the short term, do we want to keep sharing news articles we find around the web here in the forums?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 am

Do we need to add a cheese and meme forum for that category of shortbread news links?
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 am

DrCR wrote:
I don't know about news articles, but perhaps post re reviews that successfully differentiate from others? I tried to read a video card review recently, for example, and lacking frame time analysis / percentile info was a harsh reality check.

I'd love to find full reviews that do this stuff. I've seen shorter articles that test a single game with frame times and percentiles, but not huge multi-game reviews.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:09 pm

This week has been great with new articles being posted. :)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am

Man I keep watching https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/techreport.com and it really is sliding downward.

Its pretty dead around here too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!