Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Something's different...

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Waco wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
C'mon, people, give 'em a chance. Don't be so quick to write TR's obituary.

I hope nobody is writing off the site for this little stumble!

Some of the posts in this thread certainly gave me that impression.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:21 pm

One more thing for the list of stuff to fix - the thumbs up/down buttons seem to allow infinite votes if you refresh the page.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Waco wrote:
One more thing for the list of stuff to fix - the thumbs up/down buttons seem to allow infinite votes if you refresh the page.

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce that.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:28 pm

drfish wrote:
Waco wrote:

Hm, interesting. It doesn't appear to stick beyond the first upvote, but every time I click the thumbs-up after refreshing, it increments the counter further. Without clicking, the total appears unchanged.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Let's put the top forum topics back on the frontpage. That's one of the primary reasons I check the site regularly.

Someone probably already mentioned this, but I don't have time right now to read 9 pages of posts.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

TravelMug
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

I kept my optimism thanks to drfish's posts here mainly due to his enthusiasm and glass half full attitude in spite of the red flags in the things he wrote. That optimism evaporated after I've googled the new owners and read the post/article about the site redesign by Renee. I'm sorry to say this, but someone who's been around since TR's inception (lurking for the few first years) my view now is that the site is toast. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that would need some hefty changes in the way the new owners approach things and based on what I've find about that I just don't see it happening unfortunately. If there were any chances of the required changes to happen the redesign launch for example wouldn't have been timed to coincide with the 7/7 AMD launches at all. It doesn't actually matter if it was because they didn't know about it or they didn't care, both mean that there is zero knowledge and zero effort to get to know the actual content and type of audience they are targeting.

Have to say it's all very sad :(

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Waco wrote:
drfish wrote:
Waco wrote:

Hm, interesting. It doesn't appear to stick beyond the first upvote, but every time I click the thumbs-up after refreshing, it increments the counter further. Without clicking, the total appears unchanged.

Yeah, it's weird. For example, I upvote a post which starts at 7 upvotes until I can't anymore, and lets say it lands at 10. Reload, and it's back to 7. Upvote some more, and it lands at 13. Reload, and it's back to 7. Come back at some later point and the upvote total is 20 which is accurate.... maybe?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:34 pm

drfish wrote:
Waco wrote:

It's a weird bug, but I was able to add three five to one of your comments on today's shortbread. The "first approval" reply (currently @ 8 ups). There might also be a time element? Can fairly consistently replicate with CTRL+F5 and a ~60s wait.

EDIT: oh, and I can up/down vote my own comments. Put -2 on the reply to the referenced comment after posting.
Last edited by superjawes on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:34 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Let's put the top forum topics back on the frontpage. That's one of the primary reasons I check the site regularly.

Someone probably already mentioned this, but I don't have time right now to read 9 pages of posts.

I've got a summary in the first post, this is in there.

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm

TravelMug wrote:
I kept my optimism thanks to drfish's posts here mainly due to his enthusiasm and glass half full attitude in spite of the red flags in the things he wrote. That optimism evaporated after I've googled the new owners and read the post/article about the site redesign by Renee. I'm sorry to say this, but someone who's been around since TR's inception (lurking for the few first years) my view now is that the site is toast. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that would need some hefty changes in the way the new owners approach things and based on what I've find about that I just don't see it happening unfortunately. If there were any chances of the required changes to happen the redesign launch for example wouldn't have been timed to coincide with the 7/7 AMD launches at all. It doesn't actually matter if it was because they didn't know about it or they didn't care, both mean that there is zero knowledge and zero effort to get to know the actual content and type of audience they are targeting.

Reposting what I posted on the front page.

I have a bit of background context here, so let me see if I can help.

For those of you saying this seems tone deaf, her message wasn't directed at you, and you're forgetting the objective here is to make new people aware of TR's awesome content. Could the change over have been handled better? Of that there is no doubt, but if we don't TR to go away, then some things will have to change, and well, no one likes change.

There is awareness of how valuable as a community we are to this site, and I have it on good authority that our needs will be addressed (perhaps not all of them, and perhaps not as quickly as we'd like), but I think people need to remember this is a business. The old site wasn't capable of supporting the business needs, and while I was as upset as everyone else (maybe moreso as a former web designer), I'm also an entrepreneur, and I understand the need to focus on ROI.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:41 pm

TravelMug wrote:

I don't blame you for feeling that way, I ran the same searches when I found out. Dubious is probably the word of the day, and the redesign launch was a painful reminder of how I first felt.

That said, editorially, the existing writers have the same autonomy as ever and the site has additional resources at its disposal now. Given the choice between certain failure and where we are now, I'll take the hand we've been dealt and try to make the most of it.

Rand
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:49 pm

This is disappointing.
The post is incredibly tone deaf and appears like she is entirely unaware of peoples reaction to the site, or simply doesn't care enough to see.
There is no explanation as to whom she is just a quick here, this is TechReport, it's awesome so read us please thanks. No comment on new owners, no comments on future plans for the site. Doesn't even bother to tell us whom she is. Nor has she bothered responding in the comments.

I sincerely hope this works out, but I have no clue who these people are and they seem disinclined to tell us.... anything, really and sure seem entirely detached from the TR community.

I hope their better then they seem, and care about TR more then it seems because as far as first impressions go my hopes now are lower then they were when TR seemed on the verge of dying entirely.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Rand wrote:
This is disappointing.

WHERE CAN PEOPLE GO TO GET THEIR GYMNASTICS/TECH NEWS IF TR DIES?!!!?

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 pm

drfish wrote:
I don't blame you for feeling that way, I ran the same searches when I found out. Dubious is probably the word of the day, and the redesign launch was a painful reminder of how I first felt.

That said, editorially, the existing writers have the same autonomy as ever and the site has additional resources at its disposal now. Given the choice between certain failure and where we are now, I'll take the hand we've been dealt and try to make the most of it.

Well, people don't like change sometimes, so I do understand both ends of the story. I'm assuming there's a new ownership/overall management of the site itself to alleviate with the site maintenance, which included the migration to WordPress...

With that being said, I am all aboard for change, and I don't dislike the new design of the site - however I would recommend the following:
  • Introductions! and a little bit of background of their involvement! :)
  • Have a separate style for Desktop/Mobile devices, with a layout that would work a bit better for desktop (collapsible/expanded menus, font size smaller for desktop version, etc.)
  • Perhaps proof read a little bit more those site-wide notifications (it did hurt a bit too much I'm sorry :) )

Rand
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:05 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
Rand wrote:
This is disappointing.

WHERE CAN PEOPLE GO TO GET THEIR GYMNASTICS/TECH NEWS IF TR DIES?!!!?

See, now here is someone who has their priorities in life properly aligned.
My opinion of the new owners would improve a thousand fold if I learned they were secretly gym fans.

LocalCitizen
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:07 pm

bug: when i click on thumbs up or down, the count doesn't refresh. sometimes it's just blank.

people generally dont like change. especially big one here. but i'm gonna stick with TR.
look, you've seen what's happening to tech review sites all around. companies are hiring "tech influencers" away, leaving sites stagnant, or even closed. do you want TR just stop working altogether?
as long as people are doing things to make it go, i'm gonna support it.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Well, isn’t this exciting.

I feel a little bit like TR is part of my life. I’ve been a reader for 17 years and had a forum account for about 15. I took time to meet up with Scott and some other gerbils when I was in Kansas City visiting family over there. I’m from the UK. That’s the sort of place this is and what makes it great – the community and the users and our relationships with each other and the site.

On one hand, it’s entirely clear from the front page post that the writer hasn’t paid much, if any, attention to the existing community. I sincerely hope that the changes which have happened/are happening aren’t as bad as I fear they will be. If TR changes to be like… well… “other” sites, a pretty unique corner of the internet will meet its demise.

On the other, I'm delighted that someone is willing to invest in TR, and I wonder whether the reason this is particularly scary for long-time users is that Scott and Jeff (historically) and Colton (recently) have been so willing to communicate about TR's organisational changes - and from the new Overlords, nothing. Doesn't necessarily imply bad intentions.

Just time to shout out again about how much I appreciate all the hard work all the authors put in to creating amazing content. I loved the Ryzen review, particularly - and Fish's watercooled goggles are a thing of wonder.
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

BluePanda
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:12 pm

For what it's worth, my 2 cents (from more a lurker than a poster):

• It's too bright - too much white. Like others have said - need a "dark" option. I realize the old page was black text on white too, but it at least had a dark background and was split up with some comment boxes/bubbles to make things easy to read. This just looks overly basic and again, too bright to stare at for reading.
  • It's really boring - There are hardly any images/photos/logos anywhere. Add some color! There are no defined section on the pages - just lots of white.
  • BIG FONT IS BIG - It might make articles look longer, but doesn't make it easy to skim or find specific sections
  • Article comments aren't linked to members handle anymore. This really connected forum to page/articles/reviews. Now it feels completely separate and you can just decide to be whomever you want to be. This section is also no HUGE and overly long for just a "yep" comment. I came for the comments!!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Can someone expound on where Bruno is right now in all this mess? I'm not criticizing him for not being around or anything, but he was the main dev on the "old" site as far as I know, and I sure to heck hope they didn't just kick him to the curb.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Rand wrote:
gym fans.

YOU'LL BE HAPPY TO HEAR I'M SPENDING A FORTUNE ON MY KIDS GOING TO GYMNASTICS.

barich
Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm

drfish wrote:
Today is the first I've heard of Renee Johnson. John Rampton is the new "business guy" and the rest of the team is the same, save for anyone else we haven't been introduced to yet.

That's exceptionally ominous considering her post is signed "editorial staff" and the editorial staff doesn't know who she is.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:38 pm

leor wrote:

For those of you saying this seems tone deaf, her message wasn't directed at you...

If it wasn't directed at existing gerbils and only at new ones, then why is the awkwardly phrased title "TechReport New Design"? Why would there be a need to address the issue that the format is suddenly no longer the way it used to be before you knew about the site? It's just a sadly hollow blog post that conveys that whoever the author, or owner behind them, they seem to care vary little about the existing readership, and not much more for future ones.

My optimism died the minute I saw that post. I hope it got published by accident. Now it seems foreboding likely that TR will just become another lifeless attempt at click-bait ad revenue generation. But hey, at least this site lasted longer than most, only made possible by some stalwart, committed staff, especially since the original Ed. in Chief chose to move on to bigger and better things.

I am grateful to everyone who has made TR an enjoyable experience over the years.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:39 pm

editorial staff = the new owners.
renee is a freelance writer in california.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Before I go decompress for awhile, I just want to add that I'm not naive, ignorant, shilling, optimistic, pessimistic, or have my mind made up when it comes to these changes. I have significant concerns as well as high hopes. For now, I'm choosing to maintain the same approach I've had for years and see what the outcome is rather that making any assumptions. Call it an experiment. We'll see how it goes together.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

holy crap this fish nerd has 5500 forum posts! what a computer dork!

sdch
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm

drfish wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:
So now that there is a post up on the front page, can we be clued in to the change in management/staff? Who is Renee Johnson? What does the "corporate" structure of TR look like now?

Alright, here we go. TR is now owned by John Rampton and John Hall. It's still an independent site, just with new owners, we're not part of a massive conglomerate or anything. Despite being off to a rough start with the redesign, we're more stable now and the possibility to invest and grow actually exists, instead of just being wishful thinking. But both sides have some learning to do about the other.

Technically, the new guys have owned the site for a few months, but they have left business as usual alone (except for the Twitter and FB bots and the redesign obviously) while the rest of us have continued to do our thing as we saw fit. There's no indication that's going to change. Of course, the existing writers have concerns, we'd be crazy not to. Not looping us in before the redesign launched was very uncool. Hopefully, we'll get better at communicating and avoid missteps like that in the future.

Today is the first I've heard of Renee Johnson. John Rampton is the new "business guy" and the rest of the team is the same, save for anyone else we haven't been introduced to yet.

Hi. I don't really comment, but I've read this site for years. A casual reader if you will (there are perhaps as many as a dozen of us). I think anyone with even the smallest bit of life experience may react to this with a "Holy, f u c k i n g, s h i t" or "pfffhahahahahahaha RIP" but not me. I'm above that that. Instead, I'll simply say good luck and good bye.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:06 pm

drfish wrote:
TravelMug wrote:

I am glad to hear that the existing writers have the same autonomy and additional resources, but leor's point that the redesign justification is not targeted at us, while clearly correct given what was written, is very disappointing. Without the existing community, the site never makes it to finding new readers.

Beyond that, the fact that Zak's review was again demoted to invisibility in order to cover it with corporate pablum bodes ill for where this project is going. I will hang in there for a while and see whether there is some benefit. However, the fact that the entire redesign, unfinished and broken, was dumped on us the day that some of Zak's best work was posted shows a disregard for the users that is not a cause for optimism.
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm

cynan wrote:
leor wrote:

For those of you saying this seems tone deaf, her message wasn't directed at you...

If it wasn't directed at existing gerbils and only at new ones, then why is the awkwardly phrased title "TechReport New Design"? Why would there be a need to address the issue that the format is suddenly no longer the way it used to be before you knew about the site? It's just a sadly hollow blog post that conveys that whoever the author, or owner behind them, they seem to care vary little about the existing readership, and not much more for future ones.

My optimism died the minute I saw that post. I hope it got published by accident. Now it seems foreboding likely that TR will just become another lifeless attempt at click-bait ad revenue generation. But hey, at least this site lasted longer than most, only made possible by some stalwart, committed staff, especially since the original Ed. in Chief chose to move on to bigger and better things.

I am grateful to everyone who has made TR an enjoyable experience over the years.

Maybe it's different for me because I knew this was coming, and in a general sense what it would entail. To be fair, I found the way this new design happened a total shock, completely horrible in every way, and I only started posting in this thread on page 7 because the organization of the site is so awful, I didn't know it existed.

I have seen nightmare launches before, and it seems like they are being responsive to our requests (if not sufficiently communicative - understatement, ya?), so I'm reserving my judgement for when I see improvements stop, it's only been a couple of days after all.

Let's review everything that's happened (positive and negative):

TR gets its first major review up in this calendar year, with another one promised soon (that wasn't possible before, the budget/resources weren't there)
The writing staff/style will be preserved, and indeed augmented
Awful, incomplete, buggy new site launch with insufficient testing/feedback before going live - most likely rushed to coincide with our first exciting content in a while
New management not transparent/engaged/friendly with the community... yet?

For me the top 2 items outweigh the bottom 2 items since the bottom 2 are fixable, the top 2 aren't. As long as the top 2 stay true, and we move towards progress on the bottom 2, I think there's room for optimism. We might need a month or 2 to clean some of this up, but I'll take that over having the old design and no headliner hardware reviews.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm optimistic for the future. But I recognize this is big change to a lot of the reader base.

I'm happy to hear that the new management is... well... managing. Hopefully they can learn the personality of the readers. These things undergo a trial-by-fire, whenever new management comes in. If this is the direction TR needs to go to survive then I'm cool with it.

Just get the "subscription" bars back up so that people can donate and feel like a community again. I recognize that web-development features may take a while to get spun up on. I don't know if Wordpress has a PHPbb user-plugin system, but researching that stuff may help.

Well, best of luck to the site. I'm not leaving, but I think I recognize that some missteps in this rollout have occurred. The new articles (AMD Zen 3000) is really good, and the proposed AMD 5700 review is also quite exciting to hear about. You picked a good time to change (now that news is actually happening again).

For me the top 2 items outweigh the bottom 2 items since the bottom 2 are fixable, the top 2 aren't.

That's my opinion as well. It seems like the new management just needs to learn the personality of us gerbils... and vice versa.

No one likes change, especially when the old site design was around for... how many years? I don't even know, like a decade at least. And the old site was working, so moving to a new Wordpress-based solution is going to be uncomfortable for us readers. Especially since our comment workflow has been disrupted.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 pm

leor wrote:
Let's review everything that's happened (positive and negative):

TR gets its first major review up in this calendar year, with another one promised soon (that wasn't possible before, the budget/resources weren't there)
The writing staff/style will be preserved, and indeed augmented
Awful, incomplete, buggy new site launch with insufficient testing/feedback before going live - most likely rushed to coincide with our first exciting content in a while
New management not transparent/engaged/friendly with the community... yet?

For me the top 2 items outweigh the bottom 2 items since the bottom 2 are fixable, the top 2 aren't. As long as the top 2 stay true, and we move towards progress on the bottom 2, I think there's room for optimism. We might need a month or 2 to clean some of this up, but I'll take that over having the old design and no headliner hardware reviews.

Quotable. And more bluntly, it appears the other option was waking up one morning and each of us getting a 404 error when we tried to load techreport.com. Given that, this is not a great transition but also not the worst thing ever. I get that people are disturbed and a bit of grousing is par, but the bouts of wild melodrama aren't going to help convince the new owners that the community was worth saving.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration