Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

cygnus1
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Re: Something's different... (new)

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Good lord this redesign is horrendous... Please make the pictures on the front page much smaller, bring back blue theme, and add back the top comments and top forum posts lists...

cygnus1
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:06 pm

cygnus1 wrote:
Good lord this redesign is horrendous... Please make the pictures on the front page much smaller, bring back blue theme, and add back the top comments and top forum posts lists...

Aw crap, and the article comments got axed too... terribad, terribad guys.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Did I miss something or how do I get to multiple pages? Is it all just a single long column of text? :o

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 pm

Some pretty awful table/grid gore here:

https://techreport.com/review/34672/amd ... -reviewed/

You're getting a lot of forced line feeds. Padding is set to 20, if you reduce it to ~5 it looks like it corrects it

.entry table td, .entry table th, .comment table td, .comment table th {
padding: 5px;

This provides very little information at a glance, and next to nothing for navigation and filtering options. It seems to be a trend these days.

I agree, the site looks barren. Low information density, big blocky clicky boxes. Lots of navigation still missing. Lead article box front and center is WAY too big. I have to scroll an extra page to see the same content I used to see.

rnalsation
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 pm

Low density and lack of clearly defined objects and borders actually stresses me out to look at.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm

The new layout definitely needs work... a lot of work.

I miss the hot/new forum topics, hot comments, polls, and the like.
i5-9600K@4.9 | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

DragonDaddyBear
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Let's be patient. It's clear this isn't ideal, but I assume necessary. Your could pull a page from LTT and other currently poplar channels and chronical this as content.

Keep up the hard work, TR team. You're a David going against Goliaths.

DigiCola
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:05 pm

My first thought was "Was the site hacked?!" because the website looked like one of those websites with computer generated content made for clicks and advertisements because lots of the articles under Hardware > Graphics don't belong there. Then my second thought was "Are they running Wordpress and did something mess up Wordpress templates again?"

I had to register an account to comment on it.

This design is terrible.

Previously it was fairly difficult to sort your articles to find the information I was looking for, i.e. CPU and GPU reviews. Now it's downright impossible to do so. The categories are a mess. In addition to that, now I have to wade through a wall of text to get to the information I want in the reviews. It's painful enough to use that I don't think I will be coming back if you keep it that way. It's really not worth the effort.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Well that's a hideous design.

Low data density fatfinger compatible with excessive scrolling and all that white hurts my eyes. >.<
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

seeker010
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 pm

egads... I am not a fan. also it requires a minimum window width, otherwise the social media elements overlap the body of the article. poor design decision imho, but others may disagree, such is life.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:46 pm

I would like to be supportive. The people working here do a great job and deserve the right to have the site look good to them. However, I can’t help but think “If it ain’t broke...”

The “At a glance” of the home page was so much more informative.
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:12 am

1) I just renewed my Gold subscription. I want things to work out, I really do.

2) Everything @Cuhulin said.

3) First glance at new front page - "What, so PC hardware is no longer explored?"
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 am

Alright, cleared my cache and seem to reliably have the new site on my PC now.

The biggest thing to know for now is that the work was contracted out and us everyday news folks didn't have a chance to offer feedback before the redesign surprised everyone by popping up yesterday. Unfortunately, that means a bit of damage control and more waiting until we work things out.

Yes, I'm posting at 1 AM because I'm vexed enough to be unable to sleep. :-?

Edit: I should add that I do know a lot of effort when into preserving the existing content on the site and bringing it into the new format, a LOT of effort. Every old comment on every old story is preserved and still threaded. So, while I have the same design reservations as the rest of you, it's terrific that the archives got brought along.

I'm hoping to make a post on the front page with more details soon, but I don't have the right permissions in the new CMS yet, heh.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 am

drfish wrote:
..The biggest thing to know for now is that the work was contracted out and us everyday news folks didn't have a chance to offer feedback before the redesign surprised everyone by popping up yesterday..

:lol:

Perhaps they didn't understand that the reason this site still has viewers is because it's viewer-as-a-participant: the comments are active.

-or at least they were.

#nail-in-coffin? :o (..a'la PC Perspective..)

To prove this point: it took me a bit to find and get to this thread. Forums>New Posts>Thread Title (looking over to page 2 link)>and here. Before I would have just looked at the "Hot Threads" list near the top of the page to see that this one was active. One click (crucially without "hunting") and done. :wink: 8)

I should note though that it isn't the flat monochromatic design (a'la "Highlights"/Windows 10), it's just a dearth of immediate and easily accessible information.
A clean interface doesn't have to mean less information at-a-glance, and if anything: should allow for more information at-a-glance.

It's become a "scroll"er's wet dream.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 am

No sir, I don't like it. I've hated the recent (read: last several years) trend of dumbifying designs. I don't want to see "16 hours ago." I don't want to do date/time math in my head. Actual dates and times, please. This was one of my biggest gripes with the latest Windows 10 Insider releases defaulting to "Use friendly dates" view in Windows Explorer...that got turned off immediately.

There are also much better CMS choices than WordPress. :roll:

I'm not saying the previous design didn't need some modernizing, but this just went too far. I hope the coming tweaks are a step in the right direction.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 am

CScottG wrote:
I should note though that it isn't the flat monochromatic design (a'la "Highlights"/Windows 10), it's just a dearth of immediate and easily accessible information.
A clean interface doesn't have to mean less information at-a-glance, and if anything: should allow for more information at-a-glance.

It's become a "scroll"er's wet dream.

So much that exactly. At 1920x1080 and 100% zoom in the browser (Edge Chromium Dev) on my laptop I get one large image and the top 3/4's of whatever is in "Most Recent" and "Recent Posts." And btw, all three link to the same exact posting so two of the three are useless.

There was SO much more information at the same resolution on the old design without having to scroll.

EDIT: Upon further inspection. the five items under "Recent Posts" are the exact same as the top five "Most Recent" items.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:59 am

curtisb wrote:

I'm not saying the previous design didn't need some modernizing, but this just went too far. I hope the coming tweaks are a step in the right direction.

It needed a LOT of modernizing.. starting with the hole "Tech Report" title taking-up as much room as it did. The new design is better in that respect, but not particularly good.

Really, most people know that they are at Tech Report: do you need a title? I don't think so - and it doesn't provide a good aesthetic sense of branding. Better to take from other markets like women's handbags: like perhaps pages with a fine/barely discernible water-mark appearance with a good TR logo and pattern for white-space. Tech Report vertically spelled-out in a small aesthetic embossed-look at the side of titles. Etc..

Build it like a fine watch.. the watch is *redundant (and has been for more than 10 years), but a fine watch maker still has plenty of people waiting for the next design to roll-out: and are willing to pay for it. Provide a really good (dare I say "Luxurious") experience, place add's (particularly well-chosen/crafted) with great care, and ask for viewers to turn-off add-blockers for the site. Do it right, and they will.

*and text sites like this one (computer-tech) are otherwise becoming redundant.

-and of course all-the-while improving what Tech Report has become (post Damage - which it's unlikely to become again).

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 am

drfish wrote:
The biggest thing to know for now is that the work was contracted out

Try not to feel too bad Fish! It's not on you.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't appreciate all the efforts being done to help maintain and improve the site. The fact that Zak did an indepth CPU review(and a pretty damned good one at that) in addition to what I assume was his usual workload is impressive(and I mean really impressive not just ironical-Krogoth impressive).

Redesigns are hard, and they're always a struggle even when things go well. On top of that I'm sure budgets are tight and time is limited and all the usual constraints which go with that are in full effect. Maybe the people that were contracted to do this redesign provided exactly what was asked of them, and maybe they provided something generic because that's the best they could do. I don't know. If it's the latter, then they should get dumped as soon as the site is fully functional. Either way, the creative direction involved doesn't really concern me as much as the execution of it, and since I'm not a great frontend designer myself I probably shouldn't spend too much time talking about it. I just wanted to offer my opinion having been in similar situations. When being stuck in survival mode requires bringing in a third party who ends up just not being capable that's often a difficult choice, but if it seems like it's just not working, then you really are better off without them.

At the risk of overstepping even further, let me also say that preserving the historical content of the site shouldn't ever have been in question. ETL is a required component in just about any move from one platform to another.

I will say that moving away from a custom CMS is almost certainly a good idea. That's a lot of overhead that doesn't really need to be there. 20 years ago it could easily have been required, but now you can reskin Wordpress, or Drupal, or Django, or any other well known platform however you like, and then write plugins to do the things it can't do out of the box.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:46 am

Argh, what a rollercoaster of a day. From "holy crap, launch day Ryzen 3 reviews! And in depth ones at that! And Navi reviews coming!"... To the commentpocalypse redesign. I was feeling really positive about TR for about an hour there. :(

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:57 am

Yikes... New design is the most unappealing thing I've ever seen. Putting aside the lack of a blue theme, it's just a giant scrolling hugely spaced out splattering with almost no definition. Looooots of deadspace. Lack of pull down box for looking through the reviews also sucks. Just waiting for bits and pieces of the website to zoom in and out randomly as you scroll through it just to hammer home how unejoyable they want to make the reading experience.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 am

Also, it's weird that neither your Twitter nor Facebook accounts has posted about your Ryzen 3 review. That's the hottest bit of content you've had in months, you should be getting it out there!

rechicero
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:17 am

I really don't want to be rude but, really, if you outsourced the redesign you should look for another vendor. Don't ask the current one to fix anything, they just don't understand your webpage and community.

Really awful. Like "I can't read this ****" kind of awful.

The news page is all pictures, little text. Suddenly I need to use more scrolling to read like 10% of before? Is this the comic-book version of Tech-report?

The articles... pff... Narrow theme, lots of unused space. No "list of contents" to choose what you want or read in big reviews. And the comments section is crazy: the comments from last AMD CPUs that I read yesterday: gone. No threading. Nothing. This looks like a blog.

And of course, no blue theme, no way to choose width...

You guys are too good doing what you do to let this continue. You deserve a proper layout.

If ain't broken, don't fix it. What your vendor did... don't fix it either. Just throw it away, there is no way to fix this.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:31 am

I agree, sometimes it's a good idea to cut your loses, I don't think this appeals to anyone. It's like they tried to copy Anand and then gave up halfway through the redesign.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 am

The previous CMS was working just fine, why’d it have to get switched? I mean, we could have just gone back to TR 1.0 from many years ago that was a scrolly blog style format but still had a lot more information density, and it had comments and threads easily accessible at the top. This really does feel like a downgrade and less usable than before.

I used to like TR’s homepage as a nice place to land because, like a good control panel, I had all the info I needed on one screen. Now there’s very low information density and everything feels disconnected.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:19 am

I hate to hate on the redesign when I know how hard the guys are trying, but yeah this sucks.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 am

Freon wrote:
You're getting a lot of forced line feeds.
Well, it sure makes the shortbread light and airy:
https://techreport.com/news/34669/natio ... hortbread/
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

crabjokeman
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 am

drfish wrote:
The biggest thing to know for now is that the work was contracted out

I hope the contract had a full refund clause. crabjokeman is not impressed.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:49 am

Regardless of the redesign, thanks for the hard work. The usual load, and the extra because of the transition.
Last edited by meerkt on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ermo
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:04 am

Am I to understand that the comments haven't disappeared permanently, and that the current state of limited functionality is not expected to be the status quo going forward?

Moving away from the custom CMS seems like the right move to me. I just hope you don't all burn yourself out over what are presumably merely short term hiccups. =)

Best of luck with the update gents.
Linux dev: FX-8350, 32GB, HD7970, Solus/KDE
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/Budgie
Server: PhII X6 1090T BE, 8GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 am

I am able to approve comments on the front page now. Hopefully, we'll get that power rolled out to others shortly, or even better, remove the need for it completely.

Ok, so, after a night of trying to sleep, I feel better. Having a functional login to the CMS is helping.

First up, a request. Please, as a personal favor, lets keep the comments about the redesign in this thread until there's a front page post about the redesign to put them in. Feel free to say anything you want about them here, though. I appreciate suggestions more than complaints and I've already passed along many requests from this thread as well as many of my own thoughts.

Stream of consciousness time. Yesterday was a huge day for the site, long before the redesign surprised us. Zak had just produced the best piece of content that site has seen in half a year. While we were all celebrating though, our figurative dog ran out into the street and got hit by a truck, that's how it felt for me anyway. Here's the thing, I think good intentions are at work here, but there's clearly a disconnect between the redesign and the culture of the site that we know and love. I'll do my best to get things on track. Here's the other thing, of ALL the Sundays that have ever happened, yesterday was without a doubt the worst possible timing to launch the new site. Obviously, there was a communication breakdown, or rather, a lack of a communication build up. I'm trying to sort that out and produce the details you all deserve to hear.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.