Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: Something's different...

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 am

Big vote of agreement on the navigation drop down. The dev has a link to this thread now and is keeping an eye on things. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
TR BBQ XVI is happening 8/10/19.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am

If you think about it, the old layout had a top border with stuff (hot threads, etc.) and three main columns (articles/reviews), news, and comments/tweets). This can be replicated with Wordpress and other CMSes out there to some degree. It’ll just take some tweaking.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ermo
Gerbil

[REQUEST]: Scalable fonts, blue or grey "border" area

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am

A couple of (hopefully!) small requests:

Since I have poor eyesight, I tend to need to scale up the zoom-level on websites. This doesn't work quite as well on the new TR, though, due to the already low information density and huuuge pictures. Any chance the font size could be made variable (while the image size stays fixed) with the option of +/- or something similar in an unobtrusive corner?

This could even be placed in the area where you allow the user to switch to dark mode in the future.

Second, any chance you could have either blue or grey "bars" on either side of the content if the site detects that you're on a PC with a monitor in landscape mode? All the white is a bit much for my eyes.

Thanks for considering our input and keep up the hard work!
Linux dev: FX-8350, 32GB, HD7970, Solus/KDE
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/Budgie
Server: PhII X6 1090T BE, 8GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am

I genuinely hate to say it, and I mean no rudeness/ill will whatsoever, but I'm out if this is to be the new UI/design for any length of time. I know a lot changes have gone on behind the scenes over the years, and especially recently, but this feels very much like "nail in the coffin" kinda change.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am

Pagey wrote:
I genuinely hate to say it, and I mean no rudeness/ill will whatsoever, but I'm out if this is to be the new UI/design for any length of time. I know a lot changes have gone on behind the scenes over the years, and especially recently, but this feels very much like "nail in the coffin" kinda change.

That's pretty silly for a change that is mostly superficial. The quality of reviews remain the same. The forum and community remain the same. I'm sure the same frontpage comments will remain more or less unchanged.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm

I really am not a negative person and have defended this site for decades, but I hate almost everything about the redesign. There had darn sure better be a good reason to throw away a fully functional system cold-turkey and going to a new one that was clearly untested. I love TR, but what the crap! The only positive I've noticed is that it seems to run faster. Is that related?
*sigh*
Now that I've calmed down, I'll try to give some specifics.
*The very first chart element on the 3700 review is impossible to read on a 3440x1400 screen as well as on mobile. It's almost like that's a picture now and not a chart...actually now that I look at it that's exactly the case. Is that the direction going forward. It is impossible to read. The line break for "Ryzen 9 3950X" was at "Ryzen 9 395 | 0X". That makes no sense. Some of the others make sense, but it really does look like some of my high school English reports :lol:

*On the desktop Chrome 75 there is a white box over the first paragraph. Doesn't show on Mobile.

*The lack of line break or obvious end of content makes scrolling really difficult to find the next page. Bringing back the drop-downs would be nice, even if it just the page number without the summary.

*The comment quantity hotlink was vital to me. I often interacted with stories long after the initial reading. I could see the active one's by monitoring the comment count (such as my Starlink article had 62 comments at last check). Can we bring this back.
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zeratul
Gerbil In Training

Re: Something's different... (new)

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm

drfish wrote:
Alright, cleared my cache and seem to reliably have the new site on my PC now.

The biggest thing to know for now is that the work was contracted out and us everyday news folks didn't have a chance to offer feedback before the redesign surprised everyone by popping up yesterday. Unfortunately, that means a bit of damage control and more waiting until we work things out.

Yes, I'm posting at 1 AM because I'm vexed enough to be unable to sleep. :-?

Edit: I should add that I do know a lot of effort when into preserving the existing content on the site and bringing it into the new format, a LOT of effort. Every old comment on every old story is preserved and still threaded. So, while I have the same design reservations as the rest of you, it's terrific that the archives got brought along.

I'm hoping to make a post on the front page with more details soon, but I don't have the right permissions in the new CMS yet, heh.

The lack of any information or explanation of this on the front page has been the most egregious thing to me so far. I was convinced the site was hacked, or bought, or something. I was scouring the front page and twitter for new of a Sale of TechReport to a new owner, or something else until I found this thread. Going back in time weeks because surely this didn't coincide with major review releases... I've got the same issues with missing features (the new comments seems way worse for finding things than the old system where quality content was surfaced with upvote counts), but the lack of explanation is the most baffling when trying to figure out what's going on.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:06 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Pagey wrote:

That's pretty silly for a change that is mostly superficial. The quality of reviews remain the same. The forum and community remain the same. I'm sure the same frontpage comments will remain more or less unchanged.

I was simply being honest. I was clear that I was not being rude in any way, nor do I wish/intend any ill-will in my comment. Simply put: for me, personally, things (currently) appear so jumbled/disorganized that I (again, personally) I find less intuitive value/organization from the main "landing" page. If this is silly to you, I accept that and I understand it. But it does not change my personal opinion.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:08 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
That's pretty silly for a change that is mostly superficial.

While I wouldn't go to the extreme as Pagey, I can sympathize with the general feel (in general, not necessarily TR). It may depends on the person, but it's not just superficial. Even if the core essence is still there, something can become annoying enough to want to not use it, whether through big changes or an accumulation of small niggles.

MathMan
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

I always browse techreport on my phone and I always used desktop mode.

In the new layout, desktop mode doesn’t do anything, everything stays the same with super low information density.

But what’s worse is that you can’t zoom in on pictures and tables (or anything really) anymore. (This is in an iPhone 7s Plus, if that matters.)

It’s literally impossible for me to read the contents of tables and pictures.

So right now, I can’t read some of the most important contents of the site.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Suggestion: get the SUBSCRIBE link back up immediately. Need to make it clear this site is still being shoestring funded, and didn't go through a buyout or something.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Pagey wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:
Pagey wrote:

I was simply being honest. I was clear that I was not being rude in any way, nor do I wish/intend any ill-will in my comment. Simply put: for me, personally, things (currently) appear so jumbled/disorganized that I (again, personally) I find less intuitive value/organization from the main "landing" page. If this is silly to you, I accept that and I understand it. But it does not change my personal opinion.

I empathize with this. The TR homepage was so different from every other home page. It put so much info so neatly and clearly in sight that I found myself coming back a looking at TR even in between visiting other sites just for comfort. The problem with the site design now is that TR looks like any other fly by night commercialized site. Add to that to disconnect between content and community by having only news on the front page and not anything forum-related, and now the TR main page doesn’t even show what content the site has to offer, let alone it being a design standout in a sea of mediocrity.

Hopefully these problems can be remedied somewhat, and if this is really a Wordpress or similar CMS then it can be, to a great extent. I’m hopeful.

Besides, we need some place to vent. This site is a love of ours, not just a site, so when something happens to t we all feel it personally :)

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Perhaps having some official clarity as to why this move is happening might help...?

EDIT: To be clear, people are kind of feeling in the blanks by making eminently reasonable inferences that the previous custom CMS is no longer an option, but without any official explanation it's all ultimately speculation (however reasonable it might be).

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Zeratul wrote:
The lack of any information or explanation of this on the front page has been the most egregious thing to me so far. I was convinced the site was hacked, or bought, or something. I was scouring the front page and twitter for new of a Sale of TechReport to a new owner, or something else until I found this thread. Going back in time weeks because surely this didn't coincide with major review releases... I've got the same issues with missing features (the new comments seems way worse for finding things than the old system where quality content was surfaced with upvote counts), but the lack of explanation is the most baffling when trying to figure out what's going on.

I hear ya. I'm doing my best to provide information to everyone. To date, I've been asked to restrict my information dumps to the forums and I'm respecting that request. Hopefully, that will change soon.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Pagey wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:
Pagey wrote:

Understood, and I don't think you were being rude, but that first comment leans more towards the unhelpful side and less towards the constructive feedback side. I think many of us are in agreement that the redesign in it's current state is far from optimal. I'm optimistic a lot of the core issues can be addressed while still maintaining a fresher and more modern look (while also minimizing maintenance/work for the staff). I think more internal testing/feedback on the new redesign should have been done prior to rolling it out.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Glorious wrote:
Perhaps having some official clarity as to why this move is happening might help...?

EDIT: To be clear, people are kind of feeling in the blanks by making eminently reasonable inferences that the previous custom CMS is no longer an option, but without any official explanation it's all ultimately speculation (however reasonable it might be).

I'm told it's all in the name of SEO. And yes, it's is WordPress CMS.

Beahmont
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm

I don't mind the change in layout that much, but there is way too much white space and it's really hard to differentiate between sections. It's hard to tell what's actually in the sidebar, or is this an ad insert or actually part of the article, or where does the article end at the bottom and the other things start.

I can understand removing certain visual cues so that you can get people to stop ignoring certain sections of the page, usually those that contain ads, but it's just painful with that much white space and visually unpleasant to read or use.

roncat
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Put the "Hot Forum Topics" link back in the top bar/area somewhere, and I'm good.

Plus, I accidentally clicked on link to page 2429, and learned "NVIDIA announces the amazing Quadro" and it kicks the crap out of "the more expensive Intense3D Wildcat 4000". In the end, I'm sticking with the Wildcat... https://www.ebay.com/p/HP-Intergraph-Intense-3D-Wildcat-4210-202391B21-256MB-AGP-Pro-Graphics-adapter/73882107?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjLnl--2l4wIVGI7ICh1scglqEAkYBSABEgJkM_D_BwE&adgroupid=77338445224&thm=1000&rlsatarget=pla-740524795146&abcId=1140976&adtype=pla&itemid=73882107_1000&norover=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&targetid=740524795146&merchantid=6296724&poi=&mkevt=1&googleloc=9016866&device=c&mkcid=2&chn=ps&campaignid=1907933686

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm

drfish wrote:

You know, in a better world, just using wordpress would get you penalized... (and in a perfect world---what is "wordpress?").

Though, now I'm wondering just how TR is organized...?

Zeratul
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:46 pm

drfish wrote:
I hear ya. I'm doing my best to provide information to everyone. To date, I've been asked to restrict my information dumps to the forums and I'm respecting that request. Hopefully, that will change soon.

I appreciate what you are doing, and that you're obviously being careful to only say what you're allowed to say. But the site at large should be communicating this better. Lots of other small, subscription based communities do a lot to involve their communities in what's happening and why. I've been a reader of the Tech Report for over a decade. And although I never got involved in the community at all, it's be my go-to location for reviews and information. I link it to others, I reference it constantly. I should have realized that money was getting tight, as the signs were there in reviews over the last couple years. If the subscribe link were up I'd subscribe right now to help (if there's a hard link to it and it's just the button that's missing, please post the URL).

However, the lack of transparency about what's happening and why is doing a lot to shake confidence. The only public announcement about the redesign is you essentially saying "Yeah, I was surprised too. We woke up and the redesign was live, and just had to post the biggest review of the year in spite of it" makes me terrified for what the future holds.

cmrcmk
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:46 pm

curtisb wrote:
There are also much better CMS choices than WordPress. :roll:

...said every website designer ever.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I know you don't need to hear it again, but I just have to say I agree with all of the complaints. Information density, layout, brightness, lack of clarify on the move (and the timing), etc. I know how just about every custom CMS is a gigantic pain in the ass, but I feel like it would have been worth some time/effort into duplicating at least the overall layout of it with Wordpress versus this very cookie-cutter design that isn't effective at anything at all.

The hot forum topics, top comments on posts (the comments format is also woefully undense as well), subscribe links, recent news/posts in usably sized fonts, etc.

The timing part (and lack of communication) makes it feel rushed like there is some ulterior motive. Nobody jumps ship from a working design to something like this on one of the biggest launches of the year without a damn good reason to do so.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:03 pm

What Waco just said...

The Nothingness, the Whiteness, the Endless... ness

cmrcmk wrote:
curtisb wrote:
There are also much better CMS choices than WordPress. :roll:

...said every website designer ever.
Ah Ha! That was the first thing I thought. That TR has switched to a generic Wordpress template.

Also, If you are going to use a navigation drop down, how about keeping the tabs pure. If I pick storage, I don't want to see video cards; and so on for the other tabs.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Glorious wrote:
You know, in a better world, just using wordpress would get you penalized... (and in a perfect world---what is "wordpress?").

:lol:

Honestly though, once you learn it the CMS its self isn't so bad if you do your best to look at it from an end user point of view. Yeah of course the engineer in me would rather be using Django or something with a little bit more inherent nerdery, but even on a site like this which is managed by a technically competent crew the whole point of having a CMS is to help get work done which isn't about that.

Most of my complaints these days about Wordpress are with crappy plugins doing random crappy things. There's a lot of those, so take note TR staff. Do not assume that widely used plugins will be sufficiently battle tested just because they're widely used.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Zeratul wrote:
I should have realized that money was getting tight, as the signs were there in reviews over the last couple years.

There's a thread on topic, but it's half-hidden due to the title and the beginning of the thread. The pertinent stuff starts here:
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8#p1402525

drfish wrote:

Surprising. What magic could WP do that can't be done by tweaking a few templates in the classic CMS?

Redocbew wrote:
once you learn it the CMS its self isn't so bad

Well, you can tweak WP to your heart's content, like ArsTechnica. Their transition was also a downgrade, but it's workable.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Most of my complaints these days about Wordpress are with crappy plugins doing random crappy things. There's a lot of those, so take note TR staff. Do not assume that widely used plugins will be sufficiently battle tested just because they're widely used.

I found this out the hard way many years ago with WP when plugins just plain didn’t work like they were supposed to. It was frustrating enough that I just did a lot of custom stuff. I’m surprised this is still the state of things, especially since the point of going WP is to lessen the amount of custom work. The good news is all the stuff we want is very doable and I’m surprised the basic layout of the old site wasn’t emulated from the get go.

thedosbox
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:47 pm

How do I go about changing my subscription? There doesn't seem any way to access it anymore. I'm concerned that credit card information is now being stored on a wordpress site.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:48 pm

My recollection was that Morphine explained that such sensitive data was actually held by Stripe, not TR.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Glorious wrote:
My recollection was that Morphine explained that such sensitive data was actually held by Stripe, not TR.

Card data did not reside at TR.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

layerup
Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:56 pm

I have a question, what's with the Facebook/Instagram/Pintrest/Twitter etc icon that scrolls with me on the web pages? This is fairly offputting to me, and I'm curious, does it really serve some useful purpose? I generally associate those icons with websites I wish to not return to, and it seems a shame that it is featured on TechReport, hopefully temporarily.

I second the request for smaller font, at least on the desktop version. This large font is rough to scroll through.