Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

I got married

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:36 pm

I've spent almost half my life as a member of these boards. This past weekend my fiancé and I took to a special place for both of us, and exchanged vows in a self-uniting ceremony. PA is cool like that, shout out to those Quakers n'at. I don't post nearly as often as I did years ago, but I still lurk and depend on the TR writers and Gerbils at large to entertain and educate. It seems like TR is going through some more changes as of late, and I hope things stabilize to see this place stick around a lot longer. Anyhow, just wanted to share a little piece of happiness with you all. I couldn't have lucked into a more perfect partner. Life's beautiful from time to time. I hope you're all at peace or working at it.

-Pete

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: I got married

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Congrats!

Is self-uniting rare over there?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 pm

Congratulations!

I hope you and your spouse have many happy years together to come.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Congratulations! I’m super-happy for you. We tied the knot 11.5 years ago while I was hyper-active on these forums. Wow time flies.

Inkling
TR Staff

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Dancing rodents!
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 am

Congrats, and welcome to the club!
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am

\o/
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 am

Congrats!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am

Congratulations!
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:28 pm

meerkt wrote:
Congrats!

Is self-uniting rare over there?

Rare-er, yes. Only a handful of states recognize it and technically PA only does so because some guy tried in like 2007 and was denied. The ACLU then sued the state on his behalf for religious discrimination since Quakers could do so, and won. Since then it's available to most counties in PA from what I know.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Wishing you a long and happy union!
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
technically PA only does so because some guy tried in like 2007 and was denied.

But do many non-Quaker/Amish in PA do it?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Rare-er, yes. Only a handful of states recognize it and technically PA only does so because some guy tried in like 2007 and was denied. The ACLU then sued the state on his behalf for religious discrimination since Quakers could do so, and won. Since then it's available to most counties in PA from what I know.

That can't be *completely* right. I went to one before then. ~2000? To my recollection neither were actually Quakers. This was in Philadelphia.

It's indeed because of the quakers (who, confessionally, do not believe in "ministers"), but for that very same reason it's centuries old.

You just need two witnesses, no officiant.

It might be because of the "license", but I've seen marriage licenses from Allegheny county and they're laughable. It's just one of those weird things where the clerks have to notarize it, and if they won't for invalid reasons, well, you're sort of stuck for a moment.

Basically, if you do something unusual sometimes they just say no because if their internal procedures don't expressly allow for it (even if contrary to actual law) they bureaucratically don't do anything.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

meerkt wrote:
But do many non-Quaker/Amish in PA do it?

While Quakers are often lumped in with anabaptists, that's essentially because of reductionist schematism almost solely on the basis of "protestant pacifism & 'plain-dress' modesty"

They really do not derive or relate to Amish at all. The Amish, as is directly relevant to this case, absolutely have ministers (and very prestigious ones within the community at that).

Anyway, because of that, this does not interfere with the Amish in any way. Their customs demand an officiant. Whether or not they bother to get a civil marriage license, I do not know. Might be up to the couple, or the particular community; generally speaking they abide by all civil authority that does not conflict with their confession (which this wouldn't), but also, generally speaking, they avoid entanglement with civil authority whenever it's legally/ethically possible (which this is). So, I don't know.

As to people in general, no, I mean come on. Obviously most people don't do it. Heck, quakerism being so flexible in the first place, I know "quakers" who were married with an officiant. "Quaker" is, like, extremely "nominal": The flip-side of being confessionally against ministers and the like means that, confessionally, you are sort against confessionalism itself. Almost anything goes*

*Seriously, we've had a quaker president. His name was Richard Nixon. Maybe you've heard of him? :wink:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Also, wow, just what am I doing?!?!

CONGRATS FROM FELLOW PA (and Pittsburgh) CITIZEN, STEELCITY_BALLIN

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Congrats!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 am

Glorious wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

That can't be *completely* right. I went to one before then. ~2000? To my recollection neither were actually Quakers. This was in Philadelphia.

It's indeed because of the quakers (who, confessionally, do not believe in "ministers"), but for that very same reason it's centuries old.

You just need two witnesses, no officiant.

It might be because of the "license", but I've seen marriage licenses from Allegheny county and they're laughable. It's just one of those weird things where the clerks have to notarize it, and if they won't for invalid reasons, well, you're sort of stuck for a moment.

Basically, if you do something unusual sometimes they just say no because if their internal procedures don't expressly allow for it (even if contrary to actual law) they bureaucratically don't do anything.

I think perhaps I worded that awkwardly about states recognizing them - I should have said that most state's don't offer self-uniting marriages. In PA (Allegheny county) is where that ACLU case took place that allows me to self-unite. I still needed 2 adult witnesses, it's just that they can literally be anyone. So I had my best friend and his wife sign the document, and here I sit this morning. For the certificate itself, I had to go down to the courthouse, pay a fee, and they mailed me the document a few days later with the seal and what not. I just had to sign, detach, and return the other part of it. I scanned it too so I could upload it into my employer's HR system to get my wife some sweet sweet benefits. The only thing the system cared about and emphasized was having the raised seal visible in the image I uploaded, but otherwise yeah, the documents are rather simple and generic looking.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:22 am

Congrats dude. I got married a year ago so its still new for me too.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Glorious wrote:
The Amish, as is directly relevant to this case, absolutely have ministers (and very prestigious ones within the community at that).
Wikipedia says also the Amish are into that, though the linked reference only mentions Quakers and Bahai.

As to people in general, no, I mean come on. Obviously most people don't do it.
Non-religious people in general might find some appeal (if there are are no bureaucratic downsides). Like steelcity_ballin, I assume.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Congratulations, Pete!

What a weird direction this thread has taken.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Congrats :)

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

It's a tech forum, and steelcity_ballin mentioned it in the OP. Benchmarking different marriage techniques is to be expected. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 am

meerkt wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

It's a tech forum, and steelcity_ballin mentioned it in the OP. Benchmarking different marriage techniques is to be expected. :)

The method chosen by the OP definitely wins on price/performance; for people who don't mind the plain OEM packaging, it looks like a real winner!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am

Congarts Pete!

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Congratulations Pete!
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Congrats! You finally have someone else to fondle the Grapes of Roth!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 am

BerserkBen wrote:

Bwahahah. Thanks again everyone, and we definitely are in the far top-left of the price/performance scatter plot for what we spent and how happy we are with it. I wish more people would forego the stress and cost of a 'traditional' approach unless they both really want it. So many societal pressures to have it all.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I wish more people would forego the stress and cost of a 'traditional' approach unless they both really want it. So many societal pressures to have it all.

Agree completely. You can have a flashy wedding or a nice wedding + a car or a nice wedding + a down-payment.

The Egg

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
BerserkBen wrote:

Bwahahah. Thanks again everyone, and we definitely are in the far top-left of the price/performance scatter plot for what we spent and how happy we are with it. I wish more people would forego the stress and cost of a 'traditional' approach unless they both really want it. So many societal pressures to have it all.

Cracked on Weddings. Also, congrats 8)