Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: TR Wikipedia article flagged for deletion

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:10 am

Flying Fox wrote:
The person is claiming not violating COI:

Which of course is absurdly incorrect:

Wikipedia wrote:
Conflict of interest (COI) editing involves contributing to Wikipedia about yourself, family, friends, clients, employers, or your financial and other relationships. Any external relationship can trigger a conflict of interest. That someone has a conflict of interest is a description of a situation, not a judgement about that person's opinions, integrity, or good faith.

COI editing is strongly discouraged on Wikipedia. It undermines public confidence and risks causing public embarrassment to the individuals and companies being promoted. Editors with a COI are sometimes unaware of whether or how much it has influenced their editing. If COI editing causes disruption, an administrator may opt to place blocks on the involved accounts.

"Financial" is literally listed *AFTER* friends.

Omgwtfbbqsomethingrandom's "interpretation" is a deliberately mendacious misreading. :roll:

Philldoe wrote:
The person who requested deletion of the wiki page has changed his vote thanks to sources users (auxy) provided that showed links from major tech news site to TRs own findings on events related to Inside the Second, AMD's Phenom TLB issue, and other significant events from recent tech history.

Yes, I have to say, despite my previous reservations, that auxy won the day. Thanks!

Really, now that I realize it, auxy's approach was what managed to elicit the whole bit about how this nominator knew Scott!

Either they thought better of their initial impulse, or despite their (false) protestations, they knew this was going to cost them credibility.

So, despite my cautioning auxy to back off, I guess I should have. Auxy had it well in hand.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:16 am

Glorious wrote:
Really, now that I realize it, auxy's approach was what managed to elicit the whole bit about how this nominator knew Scott!

Either they thought better of their initial impulse, or despite their (false) protestations, they knew this was going to cost them credibility.

So, despite my cautioning auxy to back off, I guess I should have. Auxy had it well in hand.

Yes -- yay for auxy!
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX 580, 500GB Crucial P1, 250GB Crucial MX500, 4TB 7E8, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX, G2420HDB
Laptop: MacBook6,1

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:58 am

Topinio wrote:
Glorious wrote:

Yes -- yay for auxy!

Most definitely!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:13 pm

That's a great resolution. Hopefully that's the end of this debate.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DragonFli
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 pm

I came out of TR Forum AND Wikipedia retirement to correct the childish paragraph related to the redesign.
Now just reads:

"On July 7, 2019, coinciding with the release of AMD's Ryzen 3 CPUs and Navi GPUs, a site redesign was launched moving from the Tech Report's former custom CMS and functionality to a Wordpress template. On July 9th, Renee Johnson posted an introduction to the design[11]. The new redesign was met with criticism from the users."

Hopefully it can stay that way.
"New":
Xeon X3450@4Ghz | Gigabyte P55-UD3R | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Geforce GTX460 | CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo

Old:
Athlon64 3400+ (C) | MSI K8N Neo | OCZ 2GB DDR400 | eVGA Geforce 6800GT | Antec P160

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:19 am

DragonFli wrote:
I came out of TR Forum AND Wikipedia retirement

Still with a Geforce 6800GT? :)

DragonFli
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:29 pm

meerkt wrote:
DragonFli wrote:

lol, haven't updated my signature. Still have that old setup and use it as a Windows 98 retro gaming machine.
"New":
Xeon X3450@4Ghz | Gigabyte P55-UD3R | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Geforce GTX460 | CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo

Old:
Athlon64 3400+ (C) | MSI K8N Neo | OCZ 2GB DDR400 | eVGA Geforce 6800GT | Antec P160

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 am

DragonFli wrote:
meerkt wrote:
DragonFli wrote:

lol, haven't updated my signature. Still have that old setup and use it as a Windows 98 retro gaming machine.

Though these numbers will say my X800 XL was generally neck and neck with your 6800GT, I seem to remember the 6800GT coming out on top more often. Maybe it was that whole SM3.0 versus 2.0b thing, where the X800 series didn't technically do DX9.0c. :x

DragonFli
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:21 pm

The Egg wrote:
DragonFli wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Though these numbers will say my X800 XL was generally neck and neck with your 6800GT, I seem to remember the 6800GT coming out on top more often. Maybe it was that whole SM3.0 versus 2.0b thing, where the X800 series didn't technically do DX9.0c. :x

I certainly seem to remember the reviews bearing that out, but I had admittedly been a Green Team fanboy, especially back in 2005 when they came roaring back from the darkness of the Geforce FX era. :)
"New":

Old:

rndmuser
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Topinio wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
The very existence of this topic will be suspect for the Wikipedia Admins: this is technically brigading if we all go over there and start making comments. I used to frequent Wikipedia like 10+ years ago, they have all sorts of obscure rules and regulations if you want to actually get things done.

I'm not entirely sure how to help, but following the rules of Wikipedia is very important.

Yeah. Don't brigade, don't register now and make your first/only contribution to argue against this, don't not follow their rules. But, if you're already active on Wikipedia, by all means think about whether the entry on TR should exist, and if you think it should I don't see any harm in contributing positively to the discussion on that.

Hey posting stuff is not brigading if it is the truth. I just added some stuff which I believe is perfectly fine because it is the truth.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:04 am

Looks like you missed the part where Jeff's byline was removed at his request.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

rndmuser
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am

Does it matter if it was removed by his request? They should have used something like "TR staff" instead of giving credit to a person who did not write articles in 2014. Also, not only he was erased - everyone was from About page, even Scott and Andy. I think this is a relevant fact and people should know this until owners correct it on this site (if they will do this).

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am

rndmuser wrote:
Hey posting stuff is not brigading if it is the truth

Wut?

Did you seriously confuse libel or slander law with brigading?

rndmuser
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
rndmuser wrote:

Wut?

No I don't. I just don't see any rules on Wikipedia which prevent people from adding verifiable truth to articles even if the people are from same site or forum.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:35 pm

rndmuser wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
rndmuser wrote:

Wut?

No I don't. I just don't see any rules on Wikipedia which prevent people from adding verifiable truth to articles even if the people are from same site or forum.

What the hell are you talking about? Wikipedia requires that all content be written with a Neutral point of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... nt_of_view

"Verifiable Truth" is just a small portion of the Wikipedia code of conduct. There are many, many, many other rules you should follow if you are in a Wikipedia discussion. In fact, Wikipedia's list of laws, regulations, and policies is downright massive. But its what is needed to keep its contributors in check and working together.

In any case, a brigade is a brigade, whether they're lying or being truthful. Brigades are commonly seen as an event which ruins neutrality, because one biased group comes into Wikipedia and starts to stampede their opinion all over the site. In particular, when Colbert created a Brigade which destroyed Elephant discussion for months / years, people got pissed off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Elephants

In any case, my knowledge of Wikipedia's laws and such may be outdated. But I have to imagine they have rules due to brigades (ex: Stephen Colbert's Elephant thing...) destroying articles.