Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

TR Redesign: bugs - features - tips

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Please stay on topic and try to only post bugs/features/tips/tricks/etc in here for the redesign. Off topic discussion will very likely continue here: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122158

Quoting fish's list from old thread for completion.

drfish wrote:
Hang tight folks.

Edit: Obviously the site has a redesign and obviously it has things we don't like. Here's my list of BUGS and REQUESTS, please add more to the thread as they occur to you. Some of these issues are specific to us as writers, but I'm putting everything on this master list. I'd appreciate it if you kept your requests to the most critical of features just to cut down on the noise. Please don't take offense if your suggestion doesn't make my list, I'll be doing my own discretion based pruning to keeps things reasonable.

Bugs:
1) Quotes in old front page comments are broken
2) Editor's choice badges aren't showing up
3a) Image captions on old stories are gone FIXED
3b) Image captions on old stories aren't centered, italicized, or tight under the images
4) Affiliate links aren't created automatically by the CMS
5) Front page comments that went missing after The Click (I'm told this will be fixed within a couple days)
6) The drop down for hardware type doesn't filter down to just reviews. For example, it shows news items too, which leaves Bargain Basement posts mixed in
7) Missing feature images on older posts
8) Story summaries aren't being pulled for intros, the start of the article is
9) Some image switchers work, others are showing all the images in a big group
10) Subheads and sub-subheads are in the same font as the body of the story FIXED
11) Login required before each front page comment
12) RSS feed is busted FIXED/Apparently not?
13) AJAX error for mark forums read

Requests:
1) Also hyperlinking in front page comments DONE
2) Overall improvement on information density and readability
3) Replace "xx hours ago" with time and date of post DONE, date only, though
4) Show the number of comments a story has in the summary (ideally, make it a link directly to the comments) DONE
5) Move the comment thread with the most recently replied to comment to the top DONE
6) Blue/dark theme
7) Upvotes/downvotes DONE
8) Top comments summary
9) Hot threads summary
10) Clarification on TR subs and what they are/mean now
11) The dropdown page navigator with descriptions of the pages
12) No ability to control featured story, only chronological DONE
13) Fix
fo
r t
he
squ
ish
ed
tex
t w
hen
lo
ts
of
com
men
ts
pil
e u
p
14) Direct control of what gets published as the summary for news, blogs, and articles
15) Ability to edit comments
16) Change social media buttons to not cover content and stay hidden if directed to
17) Replacement for news.x
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Re: TR Redesign: bugs - features - tips

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 pm

* "Deep" comment reply chains seem cutoff. I'm unable to keep a comment-chain going more than 5ish deep.
* Jul 07 is the last RSS article on my RSS feed. I don't think RSS has been fixed yet.. It seems like the URL has changed to https://techreport.com/feed/. Its probably a good idea to get the old "https://techreport.com/news.rss" page working, for all of the stragglers out there who weren't informed about the website change.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

My guess is that the threading is implemented iteratively instead of recursively, and so there's a hard limit on the depth of a thread.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Its probably a good idea to get the old "https://techreport.com/news.rss" page working, for all of the stragglers out there who weren't informed about the website change.

Or at least redirect it to the new URL. Wordpress has a decent plugin for dealing with redirects.
Last edited by Redocbew on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 pm

At least as a temporary stop-gap until the Hot threads summary is implemented, could links to "New Posts" and "Active Topics" be added as a drop down to the "Forums" link on the front page?
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 pm

general_tux wrote:
At least as a temporary stop-gap until the Hot threads summary is implemented, could links to "New Posts" and "Active Topics" be added as a drop down to the "Forums" link on the front page?

+1
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am

Homepage uses a mixture of low-quality JPEGs (10-20K for ~100K pixel), and unneeded PNGs (large file sizes).
Also elsewhere there's PNG misuse where high quality JPEG would be smaller with nearly same quality.

gcrosier
Gerbil

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am

Bug/request - re-implement the website to manage user's subscriptions.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:03 pm

I just noticed that the page number links in articles do not match the page number links on the main page. Could the page numbers in the articles match the style shown on the front page, at least until the navigation drop down is brought back?
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

fyo
Gerbil

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Looks to the contrary, the new site appears to use a custom WordPress theme. At least, the couple of tools I tried that detect WordPress themes and plugins was not able to identify the theme.

The markup and styling for the theme is... questionable... and will likely make it quite an effort for the web dev to make any changes. As a simple example, on the main page, the "Most Recent" list (left) of content is manually absolutely positioned inside the 4508 px high container div. This makes margin and padding between the articles redundant, of course, but it also makes any changes needlessly cumbersome.

Want to change the gap between articles? Instead of changing margin-bottom (which is set to 52 px or something) for the "medium-post" class, each and every one of the 14 medium-post articles needs to have a new absolute position calculated. Granted, this could be done automatically with the proper setup software (and my ignorance of WordPress and its themes means I don't know the likelihood of that), but having multiple properties set that purport to do the same thing is obviously not smart. A similar problem occurs if you wanted to change the height of each medium-post article (e.g. by reducing the size of the images).

In general, there is a strong tendency in the code to set values that should not be set (like calculating and setting the height of a container whose contents have set sizes - why? it will stretch to fit and the setting serves no purpose other than risking overflowing content if something inside the container is changed).

I really hope the web dev spends some time cleaning up the code before trying to make changes.

If anyone wants to see what TR would look like with a more compact front front page, these few lines below will do it. The first change modifies the "featured" article slide, the following four the article listing. ("User CSS" plugin for Chrome is incredibly simple to use.)

#featured-slider.featured-slider-two { 
  height: 200px;
  margin-bottom: 2em;
}

div.section-heading {
  margin-bottom: 2em;
}

p { line-height: 1.5;}

.post-thumb img {
    max-width: 282px;
    height: 187px;
}

.medium-post {
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I've been using Xolore's CSS mod as I find it a much nicer way of using the site. However, I found the search really jarring to use and so I made a few additions to his work. In my opinion, the additions make things a bit more cohesive. I'm no web dev so I apologize if the code below is terrible but I thought I would share. I just added this as "Code 2" to Xolore's style in FireFox's Stylus extension and applied it to the same regexp.
#modal-search {
    background-color: #213666;
    color: #FFFFFF;
}
#modal-search #s {
    color: #FFFFFF;
}
.search {
    background-color: #213666;
}
.m-search-close {
    background: #213666;
    font-size: 2em;
}
.m-search-close:before {
    content: "\f00d";
    font-family: FontAwesome;
}
.section-heading h5 {
    width: 100%;
}
.section-heading h5::after {
}
.widget .section-heading h5::after {
}

sconesy
Gerbil

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:30 am

gcrosier wrote:
Bug/request - re-implement the website to manage user's subscriptions.

Where/how can I get to my subscription info right now?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am

sconesy wrote:
my subscription info

Might be of help:
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122216

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:40 am

Still no love for older browsers. Do we really need the highest level of man-in-the-middle security for news, reviews, and comments content? In my opinion it only serves to make the site less responsive.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

The Egg

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:46 am

@ DancinJack

I was moreso envisioning a continually updated list (as things are addressed), and prioritized (roughly). This would, of course, be quite a bit of work for the OP.

Klimax
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:51 am

Any review that used buttons is broken:
techreport . com / review / 23150 / amds-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition /
Either unrolled or just missing.

And clicking on search brings it as full overlay masking any content under it. Not good idea.

Note: I can't post links. (Apparently front page activity wasn't sufficient…)

ETA: Apparently only some reviews got affected. GeForce Titan review for example seems to be good.

ETA2: Another affected found:
review / 22653 / nvidias-geforce-gtx-680-graphics-processor-reviewed/
Last edited by Klimax on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:01 am

farmpuma wrote:
Still no love for older browsers. Do we really need the highest level of man-in-the-middle security for news, reviews, and comments content? In my opinion it only serves to make the site less responsive.

So upgrade your browser. That thinking is why the web was stuck with IE6 for so long.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Redocbew

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am

farmpuma wrote:

Due to cross site scripting I'd say yes we do.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:27 pm

The Egg wrote:
@ DancinJack

I was moreso envisioning a continually updated list (as things are addressed), and prioritized (roughly). This would, of course, be quite a bit of work for the OP.

I'm happy to at least keep the list updated with new issues, but I definitely won't know all the fixes that go into place until later, obviously. I'll try and update it every couple days as best I can though.

SecretSquirrel

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Articles with large numbers of pictures, like the G Pro X review currently on the front page, need to have the images browsable as a gallery. Having to hit back and click on a new picture each time, to see them, is rather annoying. Something of a nit-pick compared to some of the other outstanding issues, but still a usability issue.

--SS

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Redocbew wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

Being a nuts and bolts and solder hardware guy I haven't more than a tiny inkling of a clue what cross site scripting is, but if you say it could be a problem that's good enough for me. I will add the latest 32bit Opera to my sneaker net list. My deepest venture into programming was Fortran IV on punch cards circa 1970 at Purdue. Although I was pretty proud of copying the minimum amount of files from the nine 3.5 floppies of DOS 6.22 to 5.25 floppies and installing it on an 8088 machine in the late 90s.

Redocbew

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 pm

To be fair, there's a lot of XSS attacks made possible by things which don't really have anything to do with outdated browsers. If a site doesn't sanitize their comments or forum posts to remove any script tags or other shenanigans, then there's not much a browser can do about that. However, there are things like the Trusted Types API currently in the works for Chrome which could help provide a better sandbox. Hopefully that means it'll be harder for people to completely screw it up. :P

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm

farmpuma wrote:
I will add the latest 32bit Opera to my sneaker net list.

As far as I can tell the site works okay with Opera 12. An unpleasant too-much-JS pause in the homepage, but otherwise functional.
Which other older browsers do you use, and whither do you sneakernet?

SecretSquirrel wrote:
have the images browsable as a gallery. Having to hit back and click on a new picture each time, to see them, is rather annoying.

I always (on any site) middle-click images to open-in-new-tab.
I don't mind galleries if they contain simple links that remain usable, but in many cases they don't.

farmpuma

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 am

meerkt wrote:
farmpuma wrote:
I will add the latest 32bit Opera to my sneaker net list.

As far as I can tell the site works okay with Opera 12. An unpleasant too-much-JS pause in the homepage, but otherwise functional.
Which other older browsers do you use, and whither do you sneakernet?

I also use Firefox 3.6.8 on the Opera 11 laptop for the TR forums, EOC F@h stats, grain prices, and gmail. On my SMP folding, shopping, and bill paying desktop I use Firefox 52.3, although standing in the nearly direct blast of the window AC does not make for very comfortable news and reviews reading.

I generally sneaker net on my cousin's in town DSL. In a pinch I could use the Public Library wifi, but I would not be comfortable downloading software on any public wifi.

TheEmrys

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 am

Is there an issue with multi-page reviews/articles? I can't see anything after the introduction of Intel's OC software.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

The Egg

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:55 am

I'm seeing some timestampping issues with the front page comments with Chrome 75.0.3770.142. Reloading the page randomly shows some or all of the user's own posts as having been 1 minute ago, only to show the proper time (and then incorrect again) upon further reloads.

I suppose I should probably disable all extensions before going further :wink:

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Well the "regular" website is pretty bad still, but.

My longest standing bug - The Forums on mobile - When you click the drop down menu for "Quick Links", Forum, FAQ, New Posts, etc etc. The search bar is over top of most of the "quick links" icon (where you go to read "my posts").
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:12 pm

The Egg wrote:
I'm seeing some timestampping issues with the front page comments with Chrome 75.0.3770.142. Reloading the page randomly shows some or all of the user's own posts as having been 1 minute ago, only to show the proper time (and then incorrect again) upon further reloads.

I suppose I should probably disable all extensions before going further :wink:

I've pointed it out multiple times. My Bob Ross meme is gone forever, it seems.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 am

farmpuma wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

Being a nuts and bolts and solder hardware guy I haven't more than a tiny inkling of a clue what cross site scripting is, but if you say it could be a problem that's good enough for me. I will add the latest 32bit Opera to my sneaker net list. My deepest venture into programming was Fortran IV on punch cards circa 1970 at Purdue. Although I was pretty proud of copying the minimum amount of files from the nine 3.5 floppies of DOS 6.22 to 5.25 floppies and installing it on an 8088 machine in the late 90s.

Hey Farmpuma,how ya been? Last we met in person was like 2005 or 2006. Whew, time flies. Anywho - You should know (and maybe you do!) that Opera was bought and is owned/maintained by a Chinese company now. I'm not saying Chinese software isn't trustworthy, but it's worth mentioning - as far as I know, nothing nefarious has been reported.

That said, if you're interested in a modern browsing experience without ads, a focus on security, and opersource to boot,Brave browser has a good reputation and is based on Chromium (webkit - same as Chrome and Safari) for rendering pages.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:26 am

please can we have a next page button on articles, f-ed up wrists mean that extra bit of precision to hit the page number is a pain
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:00 pm

^ And the drop down table of contents the site used to have. This is the 21st century after all.
Since the switch, my desire to link to TR articles on other sites has decreased to zero due to the fact that I don't care to take the time to click through 9 pages to find the one page I'm looking for (or to make sure that benchmark/product is in the review I think it is)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod