Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: TR Redesign: bugs - features - tips

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 pm

OK, this might even deserve its own thread, but my posts are being hijacked by "Viglink" auto-inserting spam URLs when certain keywords are typed into a post.

NOT COOL

I understand you need to pay the bills, but this is getting to be too much.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:57 pm

chuckula wrote:
OK, this might even deserve its own thread, but my posts are being hijacked by "Viglink" auto-inserting spam URLs when certain keywords are typed into a post.

NOT COOL

It's not even a decent quality spam link (if I can use that term). It tries to point to a Walmart page selling a Radeon 7770 but instead it 404s.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

fyo
Gerbil

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Where did this link-jacking occur? For some reason, I can't find it. And I'm not using any "protection".

chuckula
Gold subscriber

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 pm

fyo wrote:
Where did this link-jacking occur? For some reason, I can't find it. And I'm not using any "protection".

Look at today's shortbread (https://techreport.com/news/3463979/nat ... hortbread/) It occurs in more than one post including "Star Wars" and "Radeon".
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

TheEmrys

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
please can we have a next page button on articles, f-ed up wrists mean that extra bit of precision to hit the page number is a pain

You can see page numbers? I am dying to read how https://techreport.com/review/34642/official-overclocking-intel-performance-maximizer-reviewed/ turns out.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

TheEmrys

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 pm

chuckula wrote:

NOT COOL

Yeah, this is not okay.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 pm

chuckula wrote:
fyo wrote:

Look at today's shortbread (https://techreport.com/news/3463979/nat ... hortbread/) It occurs in more than one post including "Star Wars" and "Radeon".

It's random, but yeah, that's the idea.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:
please can we have a next page button on articles, f-ed up wrists mean that extra bit of precision to hit the page number is a pain

You can see page numbers? I am dying to read how https://techreport.com/review/34642/official-overclocking-intel-performance-maximizer-reviewed/ turns out.

Discussed in the other thread. It got lost to the ether in The Click. I'm particularly sad about it.

For now you can read the more of it on the Internet Wayback Machine, but it's still not all there.

Page 2: http://web.archive.org/web/201906260017 ... reviewed/2
Page 3: http://web.archive.org/web/201906260318 ... reviewed/3
Page 4: http://web.archive.org/web/201906291231 ... reviewed/4
Page 5: http://web.archive.org/web/201906300522 ... reviewed/5

Unfortunately the most interesting pieces are the last couple of pages, and they're not archived.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

fyo
Gerbil

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 am

chuckula wrote:
fyo wrote:

Yeah, okay, I see what you mean. Inserting ad links into user posts is just not right.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Discussed in the other thread. It got lost to the ether in The Click. I'm particularly sad about it.

That's a bizarre migration problem.

You can post the rest on the forums, no? It's the same site. :)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Hence the healthy fear of missing something from every developer and sysadmin who's worth a damn.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm

meerkt wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

That's a bizarre migration problem.

You can post the rest on the forums, no? It's the same site. :)

It's in the old CMS and totally inaccessible. But this morning I was assured it's on the list, so hopefully it'll come back

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

It's best to keep it that way even if they're slow about it. The point at which users start improvising to get around these things is usually when fixing them stops being a priority.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's in the old CMS and totally inaccessible.

You don't write locally?!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:34 pm

meerkt wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
It's in the old CMS and totally inaccessible.

You don't write locally?!

Pardon me for not catering to your whims. :lol:

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 pm

It's more efficient, and safer. Can you really count on no server hiccups, and JS editors or browser history behavior? Even forum posts I write locally first. :)
Plus, I'd want to keep my own creations.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 am

It's a business thing. It's on the business to back up their content. When you write something for someone, they own it, and it's their responsibility.

As for the article itself, it's backed up in the CMS data (which is why I write on the server in the first place) but the backup is not accessible to me. I'm disappointed, but it's not my call. This is content people apparently want to see, so if page views are important to them, they'll put it back up. They fixed the Mega Sg article, which was totally missing after the redesign, so I'm confident they'll fix this.

I don't think I'd put it in the forums anyway. There are tons of images for which I'd have to sort out hosting and it's something like 4500 words long. It'd be a terrible reading experience.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:18 am

Yeah, I know it's theirs (and now inaccessible).
Anyway, it'll resurface eventually.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hey Farmpuma,how ya been? Last we met in person was like 2005 or 2006. Whew, time flies. Anywho - You should know (and maybe you do!) that Opera was bought and is owned/maintained by a Chinese company now. I'm not saying Chinese software isn't trustworthy, but it's worth mentioning - as far as I know, nothing nefarious has been reported.

That said, if you're interested in a modern browsing experience without ads, a focus on security, and opersource to boot,Brave browser has a good reputation and is based on Chromium (webkit - same as Chrome and Safari) for rendering pages.

Hey steelcity_, I bet I could write a very long and mostly boring entire thread about how I've been in the almost fifteen years since we met in Pittsburgh, but since you asked I'll just hit you with the highlights. In 2009 at 91 my father died when he forgot how to swallow (alz dementia), in 2015 at 89 my mother died of a heart attack, and in 2017 at 68 my friend girl Liz Barry (the one that got away) made her final exit. Mostly I've been staying alive and in the last couple of years have been plumbing the depths of sack cloth and ashes. If there ever was such a unicorn as a soul mate she was mine. My tin foil hat says that someone at the nursing home either withheld or stole her opioid pain meds and over dosed her on ibuprofen, but her daughter said it was declared an undiagnosed bladder infection that went septic and her kidneys failed. Luckily for me the only pills I take regularly are a multivitamin and a little extra vitamin C. Also caring for and feeding a dozen cats (the clowder was up to 21 at one point, farm life can be hard on cats) keeps me pretty busy in addition to maintaining an over 150 year old house, barn, the prairie jungle, and a couple old vehicles. Recently the farm bought me a second chainsaw, a midsized brush chopper, and as Joe Walsh said, "The best thing about a chainsaw is most of the time you don't even need to start it up."

Thank you for the heads up on Opera being Chinese. I thought it was still Scandinavian and will keep a close eye on it if I download the latest. I'm mostly a Firefox fanboy (I even bought three tee shirts. One for me and one for each of my children), but Brave browser definitely sounds interesting and worth a try. And thanks again for the excellent deal on those two CRT monitors I brought back from Pittsburgh. They were just what I needed for my folding farm at the time.

Back on topic - After giving it more thought I still think TR needs to support older browsers. If Firefox 3.6.8 from 2010 is good enough for Wikipedia, Google, and even Amazon, well duh. Mostly the latest heavy encryption browsers only slowdown the internet and placate the paranoid.

What really chaps my wanna be dial-up internet ass are the websites that will not look at the cached downloaded data in my browser and add to it when I refresh the page, but instead put me in an endless loop of reloading only part of their over loaded landing page. And usually the only thing in my browser cache is their crap load.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:16 pm

I see there's a carousel on the homepage now for featured articles. Don't be surprised when looking at the analytics if there's some serious longtail action happening. I appreciate the lack of auto-scrolling, but once something gets 3 or 4 slides deep in the carousel there's probably not going to be much added visibility there.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm

meerkt wrote:
Yeah, I know it's theirs (and now inaccessible).
Anyway, it'll resurface eventually.

It's back, if you want to read it. :)

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:55 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's back, if you want to read it. :)

Thanks. I'll venture into the great white... :)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:23 pm

Article comments when viewed on mobile (portrait or landscape) go off the page. 3rd tier of reply is a single word per line.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:29 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Article comments when viewed on mobile (portrait or landscape) go off the page. 3rd tier of reply is a single word per line.

Yeah it's a mess and not a priority.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 am

Redocbew wrote:
I see there's a carousel on the homepage now for featured articles. Don't be surprised when looking at the analytics if there's some serious longtail action happening. I appreciate the lack of auto-scrolling, but once something gets 3 or 4 slides deep in the carousel there's probably not going to be much added visibility there.

Thanks for the heads up! A parade of large glossy pictures is a complete waste of my wanna be bandwidth. My previous look at the front page before the carousel reminded me of the websites I've suffered through from a shortbread link of interest. I would liked to have read some of the TR content, but it just wasn't worth standing in the AC blast due to no support for Opera 11.

My son, the BS in computer engineering wrote this in a recent email - "... Yeah, the website has a bunch of pictures on the front page now. The layout is like some of the other tech news article websites like PCWorld or Techspot. I imagine it's hell on lower-bandwidth. Websites should really have a bandwidth-conscious option for people on slower connections or trying to save on their phone's data plan. Maybe that's a good project idea..."

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah, carousels are just one of those things which look good on paper but don't really work out so well in reality. If you're Amazon, and 10% of your total traffic is still a stupidly huge number, then nobody cares. For everyone else chances are there are better alternatives available.

That's assuming that whoever built the carousel created custom events for tracking the slide transitions, and that someone cares enough to look it up afterwards. :P

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:02 pm

The photo carousel doesn't exist on mobile devices, at least not mine. If you're looking at the mobile site you see this:

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Is there any point whatsoever to this thread? It has been over three weeks and so far:

• None of the absolutely critical, highest-priority fixes for the front page have been made. It's still an unwelcoming, nonfunctional mess on both desktop and mobile.
  • The faceless corporate drones that have taken over seem to have made an intentional point of shunning the authors and community. Every day that passes in silence makes it worse.
  • "PC Hardware Explored" has been replaced by some brave placeholder articles, but most of the core news from the last month is still absent or mentioned but badly overdue.

I have huge admiration for those of you trying your best to keep the site afloat but for TR the soul has been ripped out and the body is broken.

Thank you all for your significant, practically unpaid efforts, but the reek of death is too strong for me. I truly hope you can turn the site around again but I'm choosing not to witness the current death-spiral of this generic, broken Wordpress blog. Whatever the new owners' vision is for the site going forwards, I'd rather leave now and remember TR as it was, not the zombie it is becoming.

Good luck and thanks for all the great content these last 15 years.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
leave now and remember TR as it was

The forums are intact.

meerkt wrote:
I noticed Usacomp2k3's Starlink article is attributed to "Administrator".

Still unchanged..

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:39 pm

The forums are intact for now, but Fish already stated that the faceless overlords are going to bastardize these forums too.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the forums are funded by the frontpage, which is dead.

If you're still in denial about that, please re-read Renee's horrendous excrement explosion and remind yourself that these are the people who now own TechReport and make all of the executive decisions, seemingly without any input from the old team. That, to me, is final. They're just using us all at this point..

I mean, the site may survive under the new overlords, funded by a Taboola and Outbrain clickbait and SEO-harvesting junk for content, but that's not TechReport. That's the zombie I was talking about.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.