Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: TR Redesign: bugs - features - tips

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Chrispy, continuing in the other thread (even though Capn' Ned might approve continuing here)...

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:33 pm

Any word on when the theme will be restored, reading on a white background is really bad. :(
Can I revert to the old site style?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 am

Jon wrote:

Custom CSS. See two posts in the first page of this thread, and mainly the following post and discussion afterwards in the other thread:
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 0#p1410154

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 am

A field expedient solution is to use a darkener extension like Dark Background and Light Text. It's not the old blue theme but it's not bright white either.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 pm

meerkt wrote:
Jon wrote:

Custom CSS. See two posts in the first page of this thread, and mainly the following post and discussion afterwards in the other thread:
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 0#p1410154

As an average and somewhat-frequent user, do I really need to do that?
It was there before, now it's not.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:51 am

I'd renewed my subscription on 21-Jun, but since the redesign, my username is no longer showing the subscriber badge next to my name.

I'd flagged this up nearly a month ago, but there's been no further communication or action, so I'm essentially treated as a non-subscriber.

I'm putting this out here for two reasons:
a) For any help/acknowledgement from TR staff
b) To check if anyone else has experienced the same problem

Sent: 03 August 2019 21:56
To: adam@techreport.com; support@techreport.com
Subject: RE: Subscription for arunphilip not reflecting on site

Hi,
Any updates on this? It’s been a few weeks, and I’m still not showing up as a subscriber on the forum ☹

With best regards,
Arun Philip

Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:43:37 AM
To: Arun Philip
Cc: support@techreport.com <support@techreport.com> <support@techreport.com>
Subject: Re: Subscription for arunphilip not reflecting on site

Hi Arun,

Thanks so much for your support. As you've probably noticed, several changes are happening at once on The Tech Report. I'll look into this right away and someone will get back to you.

- Adam

Adam Eiberger
The Tech Report
816-729-1581
adam@techreport.com

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:23 PM Arun Philip wrote:
Hello,
I had renewed my TR subscription and received the below confirmation.

However, I noticed today that in the forums, I don’t see the badge beneath my username in comments, and the subscriptions page also doesn’t mention my subscription.

Could you please let me know why my subscription isn’t being reflected?

With best regards,
arunphilip

From: receipts@techreport.com <receipts@techreport.com> on behalf of TR subscriptions <receipts@techreport.com>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:37:50 AM
To: arunphilip
Subject: Thanks for supporting the Tech Report!

Hi, arunphilip.
Thanks for renewing your subscription to The Tech Report. You now have a Gold subscription extension from June 29, 2019 to June 28, 2020.
You can view your subscription status, see a list of the features your subscription offers, and change your preferences by going here.
If you have questions about your subscription, please see our list of frequently asked questions.
You can also contact us at support@techreport.com for assistance.
The Tech Report
https://techreport.com/

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:01 am

Jon wrote:
As an average and somewhat-frequent user, do I really need to do that?
It was there before, now it's not.

Do what, manually tweak the site's CSS? Only if you're bothered enough to spend time on setting it up. :)
Xolore's CSS on Userstyles shows up for me if all Javascript is allowed.

arunphilip wrote:
a) For any help/acknowledgement from TR staff

You could try Renee's email, now advertised in the new About page.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 am

meerkt wrote:
You could try Renee's email, now advertised in the new About page.

Thank you very much, meerkt. I've been off the site for a fortnight, so good to hear the About page has finally got an update :)

rndmuser
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Since u guys are doing complete redesign - why not replace the whole comment system with something like Disqus? I have seen it being used on other sites and I really liked functionality and looks.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:55 am

TBH if we can't have the old comment system, I'd prefer if each news story just had its own dedicated discussion thread in the forums, linked from the story. Keeps the UI consistent between the article comments and the forum, and solves the issue of integrating the logins.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
TBH if we can't have the old comment system, I'd prefer if each news story just had its own dedicated discussion thread in the forums, linked from the story. Keeps the UI consistent between the article comments and the forum, and solves the issue of integrating the logins.

Uggh. I hope not. Forums are too "heavy" for article discussions, IMHO. The lack of threading makes that even worse.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Uggh. I hope not. Forums are too "heavy" for article discussions, IMHO. The lack of threading makes that even worse.

I did say "if we can't have the old comment system". I guess I should've added "or something like it", as I don't see the old comment system getting resurrected at this point. The current comments interface is quite sub-optimal, and IMO even an unthreaded forum topic would be an improvement over what we have now.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 am

I feel dumb. How do I add an avatar on the main site like many have?

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am

rndmuser wrote:
something like Disqus?

To me, that would be Disqusting.
The current system is bad, but not as bad.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am

tipoo wrote:

I think you have to have an account already created with wordpress. I could be mistaken though. Mine just showed up day1.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Bit of closure to my subscriber status woes.

Once the subscription page is working, I'll look to re-subscribing.

Sent: 13 August 2019 23:33
To: Renee Johnson
Cc: adam@techreport.com; support@techreport.com
Subject: RE: Subscription for arunphilip not reflecting on site

OK, thank you once again, Renee.

With best regards,
Arun Philip

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:30:32 PM
Cc: adam@techreport.com <adam@techreport.com>; support@techreport.com <support@techreport.com>

Nope, it’s just being a pain in getting it back on there working the same way as it did before.

For some reason you didn’t have a subscription when I checked. Looks like you canceled it around June of last year. It just took off the badge as you’d paid till June of this year.

Warn Regards,
Renee

Renee Johnson
Editor | TechReport
https://techreport.com

On Aug 13, 2019, at 10:10 AM, Arun Philip wrote:

Hello Renee,
Thank you for the speedy action, much appreciated.

Does this mean the subscription program is going away for Tech Report? I’d have been just as fine if my subscription had been reactivated.

With best regards,
Arun Philip

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:04:17 PM
Cc: adam@techreport.com <adam@techreport.com>; support@techreport.com <support@techreport.com>

Arun,

I’ve refunded your payment. You don’t have a subscription either so you won’t be charged again.

Warn Regards,
Renee

Renee Johnson
Editor | TechReport
https://techreport.com

On Aug 13, 2019, at 5:22 AM, Arun Philip wrote:

Hello Renee,
I’ve been advised to bring this to your attention, and I hope it would be looked at in a timely manner (details below).

With best regards,
Arun Philip

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:27 pm

tipoo wrote:

Use the email address you want to use on TR to set up an account on Gravitar.com and add the image there. Any site with Gravitar integration will grab that image if the email address matches.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 pm

To the new management: If you're going to insist on posting front page articles with comments disabled, the "0 COMMENTS" should be removed from the front page summary. Since it is impossible to tell whether comments are enabled or not without clicking through, leaving it there implies that the article was so uninteresting that hardly anyone has bothered to read it (let alone comment). I'd be willing to bet that this reduces the number of people who click through, pushing your bounce rate up.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:51 pm

meerkt wrote:
rndmuser wrote:
something like Disqus?

To me, that would be Disqusting.
The current system is bad, but not as bad.

I don't understand what's bad about Disquis - at least from visual point of view it looks much better. And the upvote and downvote does something useful (it affects whether the comment is above others when using "Best" sorting for comments) plus I can use same login on all sites which use it.

Here is how it looks like in mobile view on one of my favorite blogs

This looks MUCH more useful to me than TR comment system, at least from a point of view of average user.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

davidbowser
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 am

So I went on vacation for several weeks at the beginning of July and realized maybe a week ago that my Techreport RSS feed was no longer working.

I must admit I have no clue what's going on with the redesign (and maybe ownership?). Do I have to read all the forum posts and site articles from the beginning of July or is there a summary announcement?

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm

https://techreport.com/blog/3463422/new-design/
https://techreport.com/blog/3464346/all ... g-tr-work/

And the first 10-15 pages here might suffice :):
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122158

JohnC wrote:
I don't understand what's bad about Disquis

This looks MUCH more useful to me than TR comment system, at least from a point of view of average user.

In many ways it's better than TR's current bad system. But there are other problems. Requires JavaScript, heavy, bad compatibility with older browsers...

plus I can use same login on all sites which use it.

...and that's an additional problem.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 pm

meerkt wrote:
https://techreport.com/blog/3463422/new-design/
https://techreport.com/blog/3464346/all ... g-tr-work/

And the first 10-15 pages here might suffice :):
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122158

JohnC wrote:
I don't understand what's bad about Disquis

In many ways it's better than TR's current bad system. But there are other problems. Requires JavaScript, heavy, bad compatibility with older browsers...

plus I can use same login on all sites which use it.

...and that's an additional problem.

I don't see how using same login on all sites is a problem. I always use same info on all sites - it is convenient and I do not use my real information so I do not mind if anyone will use it for any purpose ;-)
As far as for Disquis being heavy or anything - I never noticed that on mobile browsers. It does require displaying some Ads but since I personally block them and many people do the same - I do not think it's a major issue. That's just my opinion, though.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am

JohnC wrote:
I always use same info on all sites - it is convenient and I do not use my real information so I do not mind if anyone will use it for any purpose ;-)

I think cross-linking your posts on different sites is a bad idea (unless you explicitly want to do it).
Also in general I dislike all these meta-services that have the power to track you around the internet.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:06 am

meerkt wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I always use same info on all sites - it is convenient and I do not use my real information so I do not mind if anyone will use it for any purpose ;-)

I think cross-linking your posts on different sites is a bad idea (unless you explicitly want to do it).
Also in general I dislike all these meta-services that have the power to track you around the internet.

Fair enough, and I do not mind if there would be anything else instead, as long as it would have same features and same ease of use. Anything would be better than current system.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am

JohnC wrote:
Anything would be better than current system.

It's hard to disagree with this.

6+ weeks and the main site, despite a few minor fixes, is largely still a disaster zone of broken interface and missing features.

The missing features and broken functionality mean that I just gave up on Zak's latest review halfway through. I don't have a problem with the content, but navigating the review reminded me of the dark ages of the internet, back in the Netscape Navigator days. The current wordpress system has to go because you can't put lipstick on this pig to make things right. It's simply not a compatible platform for a website, and isn't even in the top 5 list of the best tools for its purported market - bloggers.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 am

The web was very navigable in the Netscape days. :)
What is reminiscent of the early web (and current AnandTech) are the low-quality images.

WordPress isn't the problem, you can tweak it infinitely. See Ars Technica, for example.
Last edited by meerkt on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Uh, Arstechnica's redesign was heavily criticised - but okay, if TR's Wordpress implementation was tweaked to be more like Arstechnica's, it would be a huge improvement.

If I click on one image of eight I don't expect to get dumped in a dead-end with no next/previous buttons or gesture recognition. I had to swipe up to expose a browser back button!
Blind page navigation by tiny numbers at the bottom?
As for the image sizing and inconsistency, Zak was presumably hampered by the limitations of the current framework, This page is painful to deal with on both desktop 1080p and mobile.

Dead ends, inconsistent layout and blind links are a '90s problem. TR shouldn't revive basic browsing/navigation issues that have been fixed and forgotten about for over two decades already!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:55 pm

I always middle-click to open images in a new tab, so that aspect at least is not something I noticed. But the rest, yes, I've no idea what happened/happens with this redesign.

(Ars Technica was using WP even before their redesign).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:58 pm

You don't *have* to use the same login on every site for Disqus. At least one site I frequent allows logging into the comment system via forum integration. Unfortunately, that forum isn't running phpBB like TR does.

Also, I had no idea Ars used WordPress. While their redesigns have been sketchy, the current iteration of Ars is very usable and integrates forums with comments. That is one of their strengths, IMO.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Uh, Arstechnica's redesign was heavily criticised - but okay, if TR's Wordpress implementation was tweaked to be more like Arstechnica's, it would be a huge improvement.

The original Ars redesign was a dumpster fire, way worse even than the current TR design. The crucial difference was, they quickly addressed most of the issues.