Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: TR Redesign: bugs - features - tips

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Anything would be better than current system.

It's hard to disagree with this.

6+ weeks and the main site, despite a few minor fixes, is largely still a disaster zone of broken interface and missing features.

The missing features and broken functionality mean that I just gave up on Zak's latest review halfway through. I don't have a problem with the content, but navigating the review reminded me of the dark ages of the internet, back in the Netscape Navigator days. The current wordpress system has to go because you can't put lipstick on this pig to make things right. It's simply not a compatible platform for a website, and isn't even in the top 5 list of the best tools for its purported market - bloggers.
I use wordpress for my company site. Its good for a static site that rarely changes and is simply there for customer information. But its terrible to try and flow the page to display dense information usefully.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:02 am

You understand why WordPress was selected, though? The new owners do not want this site to be a review site or social site, they want it to be a blog with occasional tech posts by guests. In another thread someone mentioned ReadWrite blog. Take a look at it, this is what TechReport will become. You know it is true even if you are afraid to admit it ;-)
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:11 pm

@renee/site designer

If you aren't going to allow comments on blog entries or some articles I would suggests removing the comment count from the front page for that article. The lack of comment count makes that article come across as less interesting vs an article with 50, 100, or more comments.

davidbowser
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:11 pm

meerkt wrote:
https://techreport.com/blog/3463422/new-design/
https://techreport.com/blog/3464346/all ... g-tr-work/

And the first 10-15 pages here might suffice :):
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122158

I am seriously feeling like I lost a close friend. I'm going to go watch a movie that makes me cry so I have an excuse to let it all out.

fyo
Gerbil

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm

JohnC wrote:
You understand why WordPress was selected, though? The new owners do not want this site to be a review site or social site, they want it to be a blog with occasional tech posts by guests. In another thread someone mentioned ReadWrite blog. Take a look at it, this is what TechReport will become. You know it is true even if you are afraid to admit it ;-)

What's up with the WordPress hate? As someone who has written more CMSes than is sane (which, to be fair, would be one) and used every major offering out there at one time or another, I feel fairly well-qualified on the subject. While WordPress isn't one of my favorites, there is NOTHING about it that precludes creating a fantastic site and NOTHING that restricts the type of site, the look-and-feel, or pretty much anything else you could think of.

Ars Technica runs WordPress.
Techcrunch runs WordPress.
The New Yorker runs WordPress.
BBC America runs WordPress.
Variety runs WordPress.
Microsoft's news site runs WordPress.
Facebook Newsroom runs WordPress.
AMC's Walking Dead site runs WordPress.
The Wall Street Journal's Law Blog runs WordPress.

Check out those sites. They pretty much couldn't be more different in terms of features, look-and-feel, target audience, publishing requirements, etc.

Not one of these sites is an "SEO blog" or whatever it is you are lambasting WordPress for. They are all serious sites with a ton of traffic.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:07 am

fyo wrote:
JohnC wrote:

What's up with the WordPress hate? As someone who has written more CMSes than is sane (which, to be fair, would be one) and used every major offering out there at one time or another, I feel fairly well-qualified on the subject. While WordPress isn't one of my favorites, there is NOTHING about it that precludes creating a fantastic site and NOTHING that restricts the type of site, the look-and-feel, or pretty much anything else you could think of.

Variety runs WordPress.

Check out those sites. They pretty much couldn't be more different in terms of features, look-and-feel, target audience, publishing requirements, etc.

Not one of these sites is an "SEO blog" or whatever it is you are lambasting WordPress for. They are all serious sites with a ton of traffic.

I know that it's possible to create a full featured site in WordPress. I am saying why it was selected in this particular example.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

fyo
Gerbil

Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:14 am

JohnC wrote:
fyo wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Variety runs WordPress.

I know that it's possible to create a full featured site in WordPress. I am saying why it was selected in this particular example.

TR wasn't making money. The obvious solution was, and is, to increase revenues by increasing traffic. The obvious way to do that without spending a lot of extra cash is to make sure the content you do have receives more traffic by ranking highly in search results.

SEO, in other words.

There's nothing nefarious about SEO. Most major sites expend a considerable effort on it.

Having established that, the next point of order is to bring in someone to spearhead the effort. If that person is more comfortable with a different CMS, there's little reason not to switch, especially considering that it was something that had to be done anyway. And if that switch is to the CMS with, by far, the largest market share and, arguably, the best SEO integration? Yeah, sorry, don't see a problem with that, either.

(Do I think TR is handling the SEO effort well? Do I think it handled the CMS transition well? Do I think it handled the ownership change well? Do I think it handled the site redesign well? The answer to all those is a resounding "no", but that doesn't change the fact that there's nothing wrong with choosing WordPress.)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:36 am

Some people like to hate on wordpress, because it's simple.

Everyone uses wordpress, because it's simple.

A CMS is really just a tool like any other. It makes doing a particular job easier, and if the tools of the job are simple and easy to use, then so much the better. Most people understand that even if they don't understand the inner details of how all of this works, but of course there's always going to be some jackass who refuses to dig a hole unless they're given a gold plated shovel.

I've said this before, but most of my complaints these days about wordpress aren't about the platform its self. They're about random crappy plugins written by random crappy developers doing random crappy things. That's also the price of popularity, and I'm sure isn't really specific to wordpress either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello nerds,

Is everyone still complaining about things that haven't been fixed or addressed?

Haven't been here in months. Site appears to be a repost not now. No more complete sentences. Not necessary.

Your bro,

Truly

Srsly

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:26 am

Barely two months. Anyway, Seriously, check the main thread.
Everyone has given up on complaining. It's now fighting over whether 10 year old hardware is still usable.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Srsly_Bro wrote:
Hello nerds,

Is everyone still complaining about things that haven't been fixed or addressed?

Haven't been here in months. Site appears to be a repost not now. No more complete sentences. Not necessary.

Your bro,

Truly

Srsly

I think we're all just lying back, ready to bask in the radioactive glow of when they finally nuke this joint.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm

meerkt wrote:
Anyway, Seriously, check the main thread.
Everyone has given up on complaining. It's now fighting over whether 10 year old hardware is still usable.

That’s because those threads have run their course. Also, when the community gets small enough, everything becomes DYMT. I’d say we’re at that point now. Cheers