Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Glucowise

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 am

http://gluco-wise.com

Any diabetics excited about this one? Weirdly enough, I found it for sale on the following websites:

http://www.medicalequipmentesi.com/diab ... meter.html
http://teststripsnmore.com/products/Glu ... Meter.html

The weird part is that these websites are based in Indonesia and Malaysia, respectively. Could this be a scam? Anyone willing to find out?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Glucowise

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 am

There's something fishy going on here. Their own web site says (on the front page):
Caution: GlucoWise is still under development and not available for public testing.

So either A) the people who claim they are selling it are scammers; or B) the company is so incompetently manged that they couldn't be bothered to update the landing page of their own web site when the product launched. Either way, that's a HUGE flashing red warning sign.

At best, people need to wait until it has passed rigorous and credible clinical testing before trusting it. If it malfunctions, it could put lives in danger. At worst, it is complete vaporware (like Theranos).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 am

Or it's possible that it has passed the safety/efficacy standards of those two countries (Indonesia and Malaysia) and allowed for sale there. Maybe they don't want to publish that information on their website to avoid the scorn of patients who have been waiting for years to get their hands on one in UK and USA, as well as other first world countries.

I think Crayon Shin is from Malaysia, if I'm not mistaken. Care to comment, bro?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
The weird part is that these websites are based in Indonesia and Malaysia, respectively. Could this be a scam? Anyone willing to find out?

Of course it's a scam. It's probably not dangerous, bur useless.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:02 pm

As are most of the magic bullets sold today. If in fact this is even a real product that really is being sold somewhere.

Must we advertise every single crackpot idea the Internet has to offer on this subject?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Someone should stay off the internet. Fist it was the rice diet now this. Next you'll be touting the wonderfulness of Pressure-Lo instead of real hypertension meds. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:29 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Next you'll be touting the wonderfulness of Pressure-Lo instead of real hypertension meds. :-?

Wow. Seems like a great product. Thank you for mentioning that. I know a few people who really need that.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Surely this is a sign of the apocalypse. The bots have developed snark!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 am

Redocbew wrote:
Surely this is a sign of the apocalypse. The bots have developed snark!

I wish I were a bot. No desires. No bills to pay. No worries to make me grow old. Just do and die when the time comes.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Or it's possible that it has passed the safety/efficacy standards of those two countries (Indonesia and Malaysia) and allowed for sale there.

Or maybe Indonesia and Malaysia have little or no regulation of such things, allowing untested devices onto the market. Unless you can find credible documentation of what such standards require, and that this device has passed them, I would not assume it has been properly tested.

Heck, as I already noted, the manufacturer's OWN WEB SITE claims the device is still under development! If it isn't an outright scam, what's going on here? Is someone selling prototypes?

Yan wrote:
Of course it's a scam. It's probably not dangerous, bur useless.

If it doesn't work and people trust it, it is most definitely VERY dangerous. Out-of-control blood sugar levels can be fatal.

@Igor_Kavinsky - You really need to work on your b*llsh*t detector; it's like it is calibrated in reverse. The more implausible and scammy something sounds, the more you are attracted to it!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
@Igor_Kavinsky - You really need to work on your b*llsh*t detector; it's like it is calibrated in reverse. The more implausible and scammy something sounds, the more you are attracted to it!

I just try to keep an open mind. Anyway, I have asked an Indonesian friend to call the company and get some information. If it sounds legit, I'll have my friend ship it to me and let's see if it works.

Also, found this: https://diabetesdoctor.com
Based on the ingredients, these supplements might be helpful. However, I would advise against "TYPE 2 DIABETES: Blood Sugar Daily Support" supplement. It contains Cinnamon Cassia which harms the liver and Chromium which might cause tubular necrosis in the kidneys.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I just try to keep an open mind

You're doing it wrong. That was kind of the point. :lol:

Now I really am starting to wonder if you're for real. I guess either you're not, and you're some type of weirdly specific spammer, or you are and you'll soon be dead.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:59 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I just try to keep an open mind.

Keeping an open mind doesn't mean you need to abandon all rational thought. If this thing was legit and ready to be sold to the public, it would have a web site that DOESN'T say the product is still under development, and would be available through reputable distribution channels. There are multiple red flags here, which you are choosing to completely ignore.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:32 am

I'm overly optimistic and $60-$65 isn't that much to lose. I don't plan to endanger anyone's life with this device. But it sure would be cool to know one's sugar level anytime of the day. It would definitely force me to eat healthier.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:33 am

You don't need this thing to do that. There's plenty of other portable blood glucose meters around.

If you want to play with widgets, then get a hobby or something.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 am

I don't want to constantly prick myself. Glycation is one of the leading culprits in aging. So it would be helpful for me to know what foods exacerbate my sugar levels too much. I can't stop aging but at least I can try to age gracefully. This device would really help me do that.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 am

Coincidentally I was going to make a point that Igor just said. In my experience the type 2 people whose sugar is out of control usually lack self discipline and even the tiniest reason, like a tiny finger stick, is enough to dissuade them from keeping themselves alive by controlling their intake.

I didn't bother because this is totally garbage. Igor, I don't have to track my sugar because my understanding of how to control it and the symptoms is very well developed. Not only can I approximate my sugar without a meter, I don't actually need to because I control my sugar through self disciplined diet, and it didn't cost me 60$ of pipe dream fantasy to do it. Get yourself under control brother. My mom lost toes, needed several other surgeries, and just got early cataracts removed all from poor sugar control. Welcome that future or don't, it's up to you.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:24 am

It's pointless to try to save someone from themselves. There will always be something new, it's just.......nature will eventually take its course.

What I don't like is the prosthelytizing; trying to draw others in to partake in unproven nonsense or quackery. As mentioned, for someone in a weak state of mind, you have the potential to cause harm.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am

The Egg wrote:
What I don't like is the prosthelytizing; trying to draw others in to partake in unproven nonsense or quackery. As mentioned, for someone in a weak state of mind, you have the potential to cause harm.

If someone understands the risks and tries something that I mention, then it's on them, not me. The "high" you can get from drugs gets mentioned in many movies, sometimes even blockbuster ones. Did you go and do a drug just to experience that? We are not in school. We are all adults here, of sound mind (I hope!).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am

And there's the problem. Not all people understand the risks, and you are potentially spreading dangerous misinformation.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
And there's the problem. Not all people understand the risks, and you are potentially spreading dangerous misinformation.

I doubt someone would just do what I say without seeking qualified advice and if they do, they would do something like that sooner or later by getting information from some other source. We can't protect people like that from themselves. My intent is just to inform that there are alternate ways to deal (or cure, as in my friend's case) with this condition, the safety of which the patient has to decide for themselves. Red pill or blue pill, they decide.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

No, they don't, and this is exactly the reason why not. You're the perfect example of someone who gets things wrong without knowing it, and then proceeds to broadcast what they think they know as if it's some kind of universal truth. That's why you don't trust random people on the Internet with this stuff.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I doubt someone would just do what I say without seeking qualified advice and if they do, they would do something like that sooner or later by getting information from some other source.

Why would you doubt it?

It's exactly what you are doing right now.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Glorious wrote:
Why would you doubt it?

It's exactly what you are doing right now.

Except I won't blame my information sources because I'm prepared to accept the risks. JBI and others are worried about the sort who would blindly do something they read on the internet without thinking twice about the risks involved.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:00 pm

If they were misinformed, then why wouldn't you blame them?

You're talking about people who are uncritical of information as if they're a rare minority. Unfortunately, there are many examples of that not being the case. You are one of them, and it seems like that number is growing all the time.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Except I won't blame my information sources because I'm prepared to accept the risks. JBI and others are worried about the sort who would blindly do something they read on the internet without thinking twice about the risks involved.

You didn't seek qualified advice. You've been dismissing qualified advice about diabetes this entire time.

Nor have you absolved your sources: you blatantly started this thread by asking "is this a scam?"

That's you, right there, dangling potential blame. You can pretend otherwise, but that's pointless: No one will believe you.

You're also not thinking twice about the risks, because you clearly don't even understand them. You've openly declared what's effectively a belief in magic when it comes to evaluating all this diabetic quackery.

Meanwhile, you only seem to be worried about the tangential and elusive: aging.

If the device doesn't work, you're just fooling yourself when you think you're addressing that, even under your own terms!

You're also risking devastating and much easier to define ills: Blindness. The literal loss of limbs. Cardiovascular damage. Sores and blisters that never heal. Utterly debilitating diabetic neuropathy. Nephropathy, etc...

Which of these risks have you discussed? You know, other than being concerned about definitively fingering yet another infinitely proposed culprit of that that hodge-podge of interrelated biological phenomena we only call "aging"? (which, as I said, if this device doesn't work, you're clearly not helping either)

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Redocbew wrote:
If they were misinformed, then why wouldn't you blame them?

I wouldn't coz it was my decision. They didn't force me.

Redocbew wrote:
You're talking about people who are uncritical of information as if they're a rare minority.

Shouldn't we let nature take its course and let it eliminate such people through their own bad decision of following hearsay? Or do we protect them and let them increase in numbers, thereby altering the natural order of things which might later come back to bite us in some way? Is it fair to curtail my freedom of expression just to protect those who would get into trouble anyway just because they are inherently inclined to make bad decisions?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Glorious wrote:

I'm sorry but not gonna get into an argument with you. You sound like a practicing lawyer and you are accustomed to burying your opposition with mountains upon mountains of arguments.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Shouldn't we let nature take its course and let it eliminate such people through their own bad decision of following hearsay? Or do we protect them and let them increase in numbers, thereby altering the natural order of things which might later come back to bite us in some way? Is it fair to curtail my freedom of expression just to protect those who would get into trouble anyway just because they are inherently inclined to make bad decisions?

I, for one, would not want to be complicit in potentially causing serious illness or death of another. Which is why I am still arguing with you, in an attempt to convince you to stop posting dangerous BS about a potentially fatal illness.

I repeat: The company's OWN WEB SITE claims the device is not yet ready for serious use! WTF, dude?!??

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Self-destructive diabetics impose massive costs on our healthcare system, and it's not like an ER has any possible way to really sort the supposed "sheep" from the "goats" when they show up, even if we thought that was actually a "good" idea.

You don't just die and disappear, wham-bam *POOF*. No, you suffer all of those (which even careful diabetics can still, and almost inevitably eventually will, experience) horrible medical outcomes on your very expensive ride to that eventual expiration.

Even amorally this social darwinism is idiotic: "increase in numbers" what, you think diabetes typically kills people *before* they reproduce?

Evil *and* outrageously stupid, what a pair!

and curtail your freedom of expression? I didn't say the government should censor you, I'm just saying with *MY* freedom of expression that you're totally wrong.

What? I can't do that? Whatever happened to "freedom of expression?"