Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Glucowise

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:47 am

I would think so too except I've met people like him that are dead serious. I usually give them the haarp test. I just mention the haarp device and see if they think it controls the weather. I've walked away from a few conversations based on that test.

Before I was willing to commit to a totally different diet permanently I used both metformin and bydureon. Two actual medicines. Metformin of which is cheap beyond reason, and allowed me to exclusively eat pasta, bread, candy, essentially every carb and sugar while maintaining a totally normal sugar. My response may have been a bit above average, but it's a scientifically proven one and not a magic fad.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 am

Gene Ray didn't die; he's in the thread.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Before I was willing to commit to a totally different diet permanently I used both metformin and bydureon. Two actual medicines. Metformin of which is cheap beyond reason, and allowed me to exclusively eat pasta, bread, candy, essentially every carb and sugar while maintaining a totally normal sugar. My response may have been a bit above average, but it's a scientifically proven one and not a magic fad.

Wait what!? You mean metformin isnt a female only drug to treat PCOS! I never knew. Huh, learn something new everyday.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Wait what!? You mean metformin isnt a female only drug to treat PCOS! I never knew. Huh, learn something new everyday.

That's actually the off-label use! :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Well from the quick Google I did, it's used to prevent diabetes in that case. From what I remember the main thing both of my drugs did was shut down the livers sugar release which is quite substantial and happens even after eating ironically. Without the medicine I occasionally awaken to slightly elevated sugar from the sugar release in the overnight fast.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Well from the quick Google I did, it's used to prevent diabetes in that case. From what I remember the main thing both of my drugs did was shut down the livers sugar release which is quite substantial and happens even after eating ironically. Without the medicine I occasionally awaken to slightly elevated sugar from the sugar release in the overnight fast.

Yeah, technically pre-diabetic use for metformin is off-label too, but I mean that's obviously not really like a stretch. :lol: (metformin/Glucophage is the fundamental oral-medication for diabetes, and one of the biggest prescribed medications generally--hence my original comment in regards to your surprise about its relation to diabetes!)

The ovulation inducing and regulating in PCOS thing is the one that isn't obviously related, but has strong efficacy nonetheless.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah, my dad's on metformin and it has nothing to do with his ovarian cysts. My doctor was very stern with me around 18 months ago when my A1C was 7.2 - either get my **** together or he'd put me on it. I'm down 40 pounds and my A1C dropped back below 6 at my last visit. Another 40 pounds and I won't feel like such a fatty. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:43 pm

That made me LOL for real
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
No double-blind trial, no proof. I don't see any references to double-blind trials.

Question is, who is gonna fund such a trial? The big pharmas who stand to lose a lot of business in case the trial is successful?

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... ore-reader

That's a meta-analysis of eleven different randomized trials done between January 2000 and June 2015. I am no expert myself. I'm purely an amateur at this, but again you simply don't care to research these things before running away on some tangent and proclaiming it to be absolute truth. You're a conspiracy theorist.

As to the studies, probiotics aren't regulated by the FDA, so unfortunately most of what is commercially available right now doesn't really do anything. I think it's a very interesting area of study, but if I had diabetes I'd probably stick to "conventional" treatment just to be safe. It seems like there's a lot of promise in the idea that the microbiome can affect metabolic diseases like diabetes, and even some others that would seem to be removed from the gut entirely, but at the moment it's a lot easier to determine what an unhealthy microbiome is than a healthy one.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Probiotics won't hurt the big pharmas. They can actually each develop tons of strains for different use cases and patent them. And you have to keep taking them for the rest of your life to enjoy their benefits. Feels like pharma heaven to me.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Of course it does. :roll:

And no, you don't have to keep taking them forever. There's plenty of research on species of lactobacillus and bifido helping to kick out the bad guys and create a self-sustaining colony of beneficial gut microbes. Of course, if you go on a junk food binge for a month, then you're going to undo all of that, but that's something else entirely.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

layerup
Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
My doctor was very stern with me around 18 months ago when my A1C was 7.2 - either get my **** together or he'd put me on it. :

Wow, that's actually, fairly incredible. I never realized type II diabetes had the possibilities of such high average blood sugars.

For the record, I've had type 1 diabetes for 29 years, and my last A1C was 5.7. I don't use pumps or continuous monitors, I do it the old fashioned way with standard injections and routine monitoring.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:09 pm

layerup wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
My doctor was very stern with me around 18 months ago when my A1C was 7.2 - either get my **** together or he'd put me on it. :

Wow, that's actually, fairly incredible. I never realized type II diabetes had the possibilities of such high average blood sugars.

For the record, I've had type 1 diabetes for 29 years, and my last A1C was 5.7. I don't use pumps or continuous monitors, I do it the old fashioned way with standard injections and routine monitoring.

Yes, it's super unfortunate that I allowed myself to get to that condition. I'm seeing what my dad does and doing the opposite. Even with his medication, his A1C averages 7.1-7.2. It affects his eyesight, too - according to his optometrist, that's why he has occasional blurred vision. Like, I get it. You can see the bad that's happening and feel helpless to stop it. He's only 65, and my mom will murder him in his sleep if he becomes 100% dependent upon her for care.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:05 pm

layerup wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I knew i was genetically predisposed so during my childhood i frequently checked my sugar. When i started trucking i stopped paying attention to checking. A few years ago, at the exact some age my mom developed type 2, i suddenly fell really ill, and when all the symptoms added up and i finally checked my sugar it wouldn't register on a meter. It just gave me a warning about it being too high, and the meter topped out at 500-600 or so. When i finally got to a doctor my a1c was over 11. I've come a long way without magical fad, one neat trick, black sheep because it's too good, snake oils
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
layerup wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Yes, it's super unfortunate that I allowed myself to get to that condition. I'm seeing what my dad does and doing the opposite. Even with his medication, his A1C averages 7.1-7.2. It affects his eyesight, too - according to his optometrist, that's why he has occasional blurred vision. Like, I get it. You can see the bad that's happening and feel helpless to stop it. He's only 65, and my mom will murder him in his sleep if he becomes 100% dependent upon her for care.

All of my symptoms, except for frequent urination, happened literally overnight and included, blurry vision, i was severely dehydrated, the thumb index and middle finger of my left hand went completely numb, the pinky and whatever the next one and middle finger of my right hand went completely numb and couldn't completely close anymore(dangerous levels of nerve damage), my mouth was so dry my skin inside started splitting at night. All completely reversed.
When drunk.....

Yan
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://nutritionfacts[.]org/2017/08/10/reversing-diabetic-blindness-with-diet/

The only reference to anything is a note in an anonymous patient's file, so it can't be checked anyway. How convenient. :o

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 am

Redocbew wrote:
Of course, if you go on a junk food binge for a month, then you're going to undo all of that, but that's something else entirely.

Isn't that what most people do? The moment they feel better/healthy, they go back to their old ways.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
It affects his eyesight, too - according to his optometrist, that's why he has occasional blurred vision. Like, I get it. You can see the bad that's happening and feel helpless to stop it. He's only 65, and my mom will murder him in his sleep if he becomes 100% dependent upon her for care.

You and your mom can help him reverse it. He just has to stop being stubborn and keep his calorie intake around 600-800 calories for two straight months with low fat and salt intake. It's just two months, for pete's sake! Think of it as being shipwrecked and marooned on an island somewhere. He will come out of it weaker, yes but then he can build his body back up without being dependent on drugs so much. Plus, his body will heal internally. His eyes and kidney function will improve drastically. Also, make sure that he doesn't have gum disease. Those pesky anaerobic bacteria have a tendency of making glycemic control go haywire. If he has, he can use OraMD.

He also needs to completely cut out all caffeine from his diet. Source: https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetes-and-caffeine#1

If he wants something less painful, then there's ProlonFMD. Just 5 days a month for three straight months. But I'm not sure what his eGFR is and if his kidneys can handle the ProlonFMD's high fat content.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:47 am

Heiwashin wrote:
All completely reversed.

How did you reverse it?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
All completely reversed.

How did you reverse it?

By not eating carbs. Not very glamorous, complicated, or underground like you're attracted to, but vastly more effective. I also have a weakness to cyanide and I don't eat any. It's been pretty effective so far.

The medicine was mostly a quality of life thing after I already had it under control allowing me to enjoy a more carb loaded diet. That was mostly because I was still working out feathering the throttle when it comes to sugar intake, having enough to feed me as fuel, and keeping it under the intolerable threshold at the same time. Now I can reliably eat enough carbs to do my physical labor without exhausting and no increase in sugar.
When drunk.....

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

Heiwashin wrote:
By not eating carbs.

So you went keto. What did your typical carb-free breakfast, lunch and dinner look like? And how long you did that?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 am

It's varied wildly over time based on my needs but if you aren't eating carbs there's only two choices, protein and fat(well and alcohol but I'm not a pirate). There were times I was mostly eating junk fast food burgers with no bun. Mayonnaise, ranch and cheese for fat energy and whatever protein I could muster. Also times like now where over half of my intake comes from walnuts, pecans, and Brazil nuts and whey protein for a more complete amino set since I don't feel like rotating meats through my peltier cooler in the summer and I'm saving money for a few weeks off.

Literally any trash food that doesn't have carbs is perfectly suitable. It really is that simple man. That would be effective for all but the worst type 2, and the rest would likely need insulin to be able to use the small amount of sugar they need but cant process, like type 1. The fads you are looking at tend to hide some level of this really basic tool in their slew of attention grabbing tricks so it looks like their plan works but it really is so simple.

Diabetes is a problem with handling sugar, so just... Don't eat sugar.

The reduced continued physical strain allows what I call a Buffer zone. After several weeks of flawless control, I could down a pint of ice cream with spaghetti dinner and register a normal blood sugar. Im guessing because my liver will store a large portion of it. In other words, continued control, at least in my case, leads to an even easier time controlling it.

Again this isn't a miracle underground to good for the pharmacy cure, it's just a natural reaction of the body to less stress on the glucose handling system.
When drunk.....

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

Heiwashin wrote:
There were times I was mostly eating junk fast food burgers with no bun. Mayonnaise, ranch and cheese for fat energy and whatever protein I could muster. Also times like now where over half of my intake comes from walnuts, pecans, and Brazil nuts and whey protein...

What was your last A1C? Cholesterol levels? Kidney function eGFR?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am

5.6 and everything else is perfectly normal
When drunk.....

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 am

Heiwashin wrote:
5.6 and everything else is perfectly normal

Excellent, though you are still pre-diabetic. There is still some fat left in your liver and pancreas. I know you have no reason to, but if you would try the rice diet for just 15 days (could be your vacation days), maybe you will never have to touch a diabetic drug again. Your glucose levels will be high for a day or two but on the 3rd day, they should normalize and you will be able to verify that. Just give your body 15 days to clean out the residual liver and pancreatic fat. I hope you will give it some thought.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:10 am

You're definitely hopeless :lol:
When drunk.....

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

I just don't get why you would want to stay on the edge of diabetes. You have a chance to get rid of it. Just 3 days and you will know if the rice diet is working for you. There is no danger for you. You are a seasoned diabetes survivor. If it works for you, you could set an example for others and help save them too.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I just don't get why you would want to stay on the edge of diabetes. You have a chance to get rid of it. Just 3 days and you will know if the rice diet is working for you. There is no danger for you. You are a seasoned diabetes survivor. If it works for you, you could set an example for others and help save them too.

What do you know about the HAARP device?
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I just don't get why you would want to stay on the edge of diabetes.

I just don't get why you keep promoting this bizarre fad diet invented a century ago by a guy who admitted he used to whip his patients if they didn't stick to the diet, and which was never intended to treat diabetes in the first place.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Nothing else matters when you believe you already know it all, I guess.