Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Goodbye TR, it was a great run

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
SPAM is definitely up since the cutover, given the IP proxy making the HoB unusable. I whack a few bots most every morning.

Yeah, I didn't say the current situation was good... but I expected us to get completely overrun.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
SPAM is definitely up since the cutover, given the IP proxy making the HoB unusable. I whack a few bots most every morning.

Yeah, I didn't say the current situation was good... but I expected us to get completely overrun.

I sometimes wonder if it's part of the "plan".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I sometimes wonder if it's part of the "plan".

That would imply that there was/is a plan.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Hence my scare quotes.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 am

As soon as I saw this, I knew that there was no plan.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:52 am

GET HER! That was your whole plan. "Get her." :lol: :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

blastdoor
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:58 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

:-)

At least the flowers are still standing
1. iMac 27" (2020) i7 10700k; AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB; 64 GB RAM; 500 GB internal SSD + external box of SSDs
2. ThreadRipper 2990wx; Ubuntu; Headless; 64GB RAM
3. MacBook Pro (2017); Core i7-7820HQ; 16 GB RAM

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I wonder if anyone under the age of 30 gets that. :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:25 pm

My daughter should (probably would?) since she's seen it multiple times. I always find a way to distract her from the room when Ray is about to be pleasured by a ghost. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
My daughter should (probably would?) since she's seen it multiple times. I always find a way to distract her from the room when Ray is about to be pleasured by a ghost. :lol:
I saw the move in theaters in 1984 and had no idea that was happening. Of course, I was 7 years old. :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 pm

She just makes me really nervous. I don't want to be the reason she needs therapy in a couple years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Who is the new mod askfranklin?
Network theory sucks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Deathright wrote:

Employee of the new owners.

Deathright

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Deathright wrote:

Employee of the new owners.

Ah, ty.
Network theory sucks.

liquidsquid

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 am

I perhaps have gotten old, but the old 80's comedies always had to have some sort of booby shot or something that as a parent makes you pretty darned uncomfortable watching with a 13yo. You realize that the scenes could have easily been left out or pasteurized without deterring from the movie whatsoever.

My wife and I watched Stripes last weekend, and the mud wrestling scene, while I enjoyed it while my wife tried to block it from my view (hehe), puts the movie off limits to the kid. The scene could have simply been a bar fight or some other silly nonsense. All I can figure is it was a way for the producers/directors to get some pretty ladies naked on the set.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am

I suppose it's time.

First time checking site in two weeks, nothing much different. I'm a long time lurker, been to a couple TR BBQs, got to meet the local celebrities and taste some ribs. Not sure where I'll find a like-experience as this. Anandtech is too busy, Ars too pedestrian. Definitely nothing like the old power crew that used to be on here, and nothing like the last few years.

Thanks guys, been fun.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am

Waco wrote:
Click the little hamburger at the top left, then click on "Active topics".

Thanks Waco - not sure why I've never seen/used that before. I'm not leaving the forums any time soon, but it's sad to see the main site go.

liquidsquid wrote:
I perhaps have gotten old, but the old 80's comedies always had to have some sort of booby shot or something that as a parent makes you pretty darned uncomfortable watching with a 13yo. You realize that the scenes could have easily been left out or pasteurized without deterring from the movie whatsoever.

My wife and I watched Stripes last weekend, and the mud wrestling scene, while I enjoyed it while my wife tried to block it from my view (hehe), puts the movie off limits to the kid. The scene could have simply been a bar fight or some other silly nonsense. All I can figure is it was a way for the producers/directors to get some pretty ladies naked on the set.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:

With #MeToo going on, everyone is a bit on eggshells about what is, and what isn't acceptable for the portrayal of women. Its the nature of the current political environment.

In any case, it is clear that the 80s, and 90s were way more sex-positive with representations of sexual humor. A big problem is that people have grown uncertain about what is "demeaning to women" vs "sexual humor". There are certainly sex jokes which are demeaning to women in general (Ex: Women are bad at math jokes, which probably shouldn't be accepted anymore), but there's also an element of puritanism coming through. Some people don't like sexual humor and are taking it upon themselves to eradicate it entirely.

"Sexy" is out of style, at least for now. Both for females, and males. 1980s Starfire is too risque, but so is Conan the Barbarian (1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger), and "Superman Shirt Rips" as well. Even soft-core sex-driven movies like 50 Shades of Grey is kind of tame compared to standard shows or movies from the 80s / 90s. (Ex: Xena, Hercules, Beastmaster)

Personally speaking, I think a bit more "cheesecake" would be nice. The current environment seems extremely stale, rigid and puritan. Sex-positivity is still an important viewpoint to keep things healthy. Its clear to me that a lot of 1980s tropes were quite demeaning ("Sex jokes" should not be "Jokes about the other sex"), but a couple of Conan the Barbarian or Xena-like scenes or 80s style volleyball beach pans wouldn't necessarily be bad.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:45 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:

With #MeToo going on, everyone is a bit on eggshells about what is, and what isn't acceptable for the portrayal of women. Its the nature of the current political environment.
Everyone? Speak for yourself. :roll:

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Vrock wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

I feel like it's hard to come up with better ways to sound like a dick.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 am

Waco wrote:
Vrock wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

Give me time. :)

Sorry if you don't like it, bro. I don't walk on eggshells, nor let other's beliefs define my own. That's not my world. We can discuss further in R&P if you'd like.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:11 am

Vrock wrote:

Sorry if you don't like it, bro. I don't walk on eggshells, nor let other's beliefs define my own. That's not my world. We can discuss further in R&P if you'd like.

:lol: On your own time, sure, but in work / professional environments, it's absolutely required to be careful.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

Depends on the job. Truckers routinely bash gays women and various ethnicities right in the office at my main terminal. Not every environment has become overwhelmingly PC. If you can avoid snowflakes you'll probably be fine.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:57 am

Prior to the company getting acquired, some of the internal chat channels at my workplace were quite colorful. Stuff that would likely get people fired now. So "trucker mouth" isn't limited to just truckers. :wink:

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Depends on the job. Truckers routinely bash gays women and various ethnicities right in the office at my main terminal. Not every environment has become overwhelmingly PC. If you can avoid snowflakes you'll probably be fine.

<- government contractor. Easiest way to get fired is to bring the wrath of HR upon yourself with rash comments.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Vrock wrote:
Waco wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Lemme change things up a bit. Everyone in the Hollywood entertainment industry seems to be walking on eggshells. Because of Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Michael Jackson, Louis C.K., and more.

Even in the computing world / programming world, the #MeToo movement just grabbed freaking FSF Founder Richard M. Stallman this past week. Based on the reports, it sounds like Stallman deserves the loss of his position, but seeing these giants fall due to their womanizing behavior is still a bit of a shock to anyone who looked up to these giants. I personally fondly looked up to Bill Cosby and Richard Stallman before these revelations.

Random mud wrestling scene from the 80s could be funny out of context. But is it connected to Harvey Weinstein at all? It could be, and that alone will make mud-wrestling scenes in the 00s, 10s, or 2020s less likely. Weinstein's behavior was toxic, and no respectable Hollywood director wants to be seen as "the next Weinstein". No comedian wants to be the next Louis CK.

----------

In any case, I think I support #MeToo in general. Clearly women have been abused in a large number of environments. But the pendulum seems to have swung too far: a bunch of internet puritans are building entire communities around banning / reporting Twitch streamers who show too much leg or cleavage for example. Hollywood in general has really clamped down on cheesecake in recent movies (compared to the 80s and 90s). Sex-negativity is beginning to settle in.

Something to be said about the "hooting and hollering" of "Ghetto" truck workers: they're sex-positive. In most cases and in that culture, its supposed to be interpreted as a complement. The overly-PC crowd doesn't interpret things in that direction (because of abuses like Weinstein). In my ideal world, the sex-positivity ("complementing" women by pointing out how sexy they are) can somehow be correctly interpreted... but in the context of recent news events (Weinstein / Cosby scandals), that's almost impossible.

TL;DR: Context and culture matters. Thinking about how others interpret your actions matters, especially in the case of Hollywood (where they create content designed to be consumed by a large variety of people). Hollywood is struggling right now (for good reason) for how to tell sex jokes without appearing to be a Weinstein or Cosby. We probably have to wait for Weinstein / Cosby to fade from our collective memories.

Redocbew

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 pm

I can't help but read a post like that and begin to tune it out after a few sentences. I guess it's no different than anything else that way. The Internet is full of self-appointed experts who are bursting at the seams with helpful advice on every subject imaginable. No reason why this should be any different.

Don't be a dick. It is not a difficult thing to figure out what that means. I don't need a lecture about it. Whatever it means for whatever you do; don't do it. Simple.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Don't be a dick. It is not a difficult thing to figure out what that means.

Except it is difficult, because there are different microchasms of culture even in the USA. Normal behavior in one context could be reinterpreted as dickish behavior in another.

I don't need a lecture about it.

I didn't mean to lecture. I was freestyle musing. Part of it was me figuring out my own opinion as I wrote. I understand its not the style of writing for everyone, so I appreciate you being honest in saying you didn't like the post. But I'm willing to be selfish occasionally and write for myself. At the end of the day, I'm very undecided about a lot of things going on right now. Rereading my post makes me realize that a lot of it is going in circles and doesn't really have a decisive conclusion either way.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 pm

I tend to keep my mouth shut about cultural shifts or whatever in a professional setting. I also tend to keep my mouth shut about a lot of this stuff in casual settings, because those settings can get contentious. Only with close friends do I let out too much of what's inside, and even then, it's after gauging their reactions and the feel of the room.

Being guarded with your words, particularly on topics that are deeply personal in nature, is good advice as old as time itself.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:52 pm

well this thread turned to ****

I didn't really expect to "leave" TR when all the changes were happening. I was definitely trying to be helpful here in the forums. Having said that, this is the first time I've visited for more than a few seconds in at least a month. Makes me very sad.

I would love to see what the recent traffic numbers look like.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100