Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Yahoo breaches settlement

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Apparently people are eligible for more than credit monitoring:
https://yahoodatabreachsettlement.com/

Scanning the details superficially, the above can be exchanged for $100 (or more, or less) "alternative compensation". Additionally "out of pocket costs", "loss of time", and more.
The settlement class representatives get: $2.5 - 7.5K.
Lawyers: $32.5M, tentatively.
Settlement fund: $117.5M. Not sure why the nominal per-person alternative compensation is $100, considering the overall fund is supposed to cover probably way more than 1 million people.
Last edited by meerkt on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Yahoo breaches settlement

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm

I filed a claim. I actually had real losses from the breach. I had some eBay gift cards which had codes sent to my Yahoo e-mail. After the breach they had been used. Since the seller was reputable (eBay itself), the only explanation could be that it was related to the breach.

My bigger loss was related to Yahoo was that I own stock in Verizon and the foolish management at Verizon thought that Yahoo was worth purchasing. Verizon wasted more than $4B buying Yahoo, even after the news of the breach came to light. I guess they were trying to make us all forget about buying AOL with an even worse decision. They're slowly writing off the Yahoo assets as they come to the same conclusion as everyone else, that they're worthless.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:21 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I filed a claim. I actually had real losses from the breach. I had some eBay gift cards which had codes sent to my Yahoo e-mail. After the breach they had been used. Since the seller was reputable (eBay itself), the only explanation could be that it was related to the breach.

My bigger loss was related to Yahoo was that I own stock in Verizon and the foolish management at Verizon thought that Yahoo was worth purchasing. Verizon wasted more than $4B buying Yahoo, even after the news of the breach came to light. I guess they were trying to make us all forget about buying AOL with an even worse decision. They're slowly writing off the Yahoo assets as they come to the same conclusion as everyone else, that they're worthless.

Diversify diversify
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:43 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I filed a claim.

Two open questions:
How much you're actually going to get in the end, considering there are a zillion affected people.
And can you trust the settlement management company with your personal details.

Did you add the stock devaluation as "out of pocket costs"? :)