Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 am

Derfunk wrote:
Where my opinion diverges is that I think it's unacceptable.


And my opinion is the that the real hypocrisy is Blizzards, not this make-believe demand of Topinio and tanker27.

1. Blizzard spoke out of both sides of its mouth, almost literally! They said one thing in English, and another in Chinese. Then they reversed themselves. :roll:

2. Blizzard is literally saying "Every Voice Matters" [THEIR CAPITALIZATION!] to justify silencing one.

3. Blizzard is engaging in Orwellian doublespeak when it claims that "Safety" and "Inclusivity" aren't about protecting marginalized minorities, but the political line of an authoritarian regime that is probably the second greatest power in the world at this point.

They SAID THAT. OUCH MY BRAIN

Remember! I'm the guy who was more mad about the casters, because (in my opinion) they disassociated themselves from blitzchung's statement. That is, I was implicitly accepting the idea that the political line was "kowtow!", my point was that it was still unfairly applied to people who DID.

Hence, I'm actually more mad now than I was before: It's one thing to say that blitzchung must suffer the consequences of Chinese displeasure, and talk around that as best you can.

It's ENTIRELY ANOTHER to say you're doing it *BECAUSE* of the idea of free speech, political participation, and "Safety & Inclusion." :evil:

----

And yes, we're in R&P now, but does that even matter anymore in light of the site's present situation?
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I agree with tanker that it's what any other company does in China. Where my opinion diverges is that I think it's unacceptable.


Yes All Companies that do business with China probably do what Blizzard has done! AND THAT IS MY POINT and that leads to the hypocrisy! Ad naseum, if you are going to boycott Blizzard for something that had a rule against to begin with then you need to boycott other businesses that do business in China because they do the exact same thing! I'm not arguing that it's right or fair! I also think its highly unacceptable. I feel American businesses should never capitulate to any other country, ever! But that's not what is happening.

@Glorious, man you're arguing with yourself. There is no difference in what you have said and what I have. I was simply unaware what Blizzard had said in Chinese. And no I didnt think YOU would make up such a claim, hence the link please comment.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am

tanker27 wrote:
and that leads to the hypocrisy! Ad naseum, if you are going to boycott Blizzard for something that had a rule against to begin with then you need to boycott other businesses that do business in China


This is nonsense.

This is predicated on the potential of China (as a GOVERNMENT) "boycotting" Blizzard if Blizzard doesn't punish, hence, as a response, Americans boycott Blizzard.

Two OBVIOUS points:

1) It is a reaction, not an unilateral action. Hence, should *YOU* want to avoid actual hypocrisy, where is your criticism of China's threat of boycott? You're taking that as some natural state of affairs. It isn't.
2) This is not some capriciously futile moral stand, it got results. Unlike all other potential moral objections, which are as innumerable as they are intractable, this one was tautologically not pointless, because it provably (yes, Blizzard specifically referenced the reaction of fans...etc..) modified objectionable behavior.

You are literally arguing with (albeit partial) success!

WHY?

tanker27 wrote:
Glorious, man you're arguing with yourself. There is no difference in what you have said and what I have.


Disagree.

You are claiming that this is just about some plain-jane rule and thus there isn't anything objectionable on that basis.

Whereas, BLIZZARD ITSELF PUBLICLY acknowledged that the rules *WEREN'T* applied correctly: they reinstated the prize and halved the suspension.

We can argue about all kinds of things, even with ourselves, but your stated position here is belied by the facts.

It's tough to argue that reality isn't real, and because I like to stick to reality (or at the very least adjust my arguments to operate within it), we're *MOST EMPHATICALLY NOT* saying the same thing.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:24 am

tanker27 wrote:
I feel American businesses should never capitulate to any other country, ever! But that's not what is happening.


This is openly delusional.

And, to be clear, I say that as an esoteric individual who doesn't exactly agree with the first sentence!

I would absolutely NOT say that American Businesses should *never* capitulate to any other country.

Remember, I accepted that idea the blitzchung would be punished. Did I particularly like it? Nah, but I (personally) accepted it. Things happen if you disrespect Mainland China, that's not the hill I'm ready to die on. (I was mad about collateral punishment for those who -DID- give due deference, go look!)

Here's the hill I'm buying a plot on: I'm *INFURIATED* by Blizzard's language in their new English PR statement, because it's one thing to politely dissemble about how you're going to respect China's political sensitivities even if American's don't like it. (As I said, I accept this, that hill there? It's nice, but not for my grave)



It's ENTIRELY ANOTHER

OUTRAGEOUSLY SO

To say that this is for "SAFETY AND INCLUSIVITY" and that "EVERY VOICE MATTERS".


:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


NO.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:58 am

Glorious wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
and that leads to the hypocrisy! Ad naseum, if you are going to boycott Blizzard for something that had a rule against to begin with then you need to boycott other businesses that do business in China


This is nonsense.

This is predicated on the potential of China (as a GOVERNMENT) "boycotting" Blizzard if Blizzard doesn't punish, hence, as a response, Americans boycott Blizzard.

Two OBVIOUS points:

1) It is a reaction, not an unilateral action. Hence, should *YOU* want to avoid actual hypocrisy, where is your criticism of China's threat of boycott? You're taking that as some natural state of affairs. It isn't.
2) This is not some capriciously futile moral stand, it got results. Unlike all other potential moral objections, which are as innumerable as they are intractable, this one was tautologically not pointless, because it provably (yes, Blizzard specifically referenced the reaction of fans...etc..) modified objectionable behavior.

You are literally arguing with (albeit partial) success!



I just don't understand what you are going on about. You're ranting. You are literally stating what the obvious is here. I just assumed we all understood all of what you said would happen if Blizzard didnt kowtow to China.

(In all these years I've never been on the other side of a Glorious post! If TR would shutter tomorrow I would relish the fact that I was his last on TR! :P )
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Bro, your position here is incoherent:

tanker27 wrote:
I just assumed we all understood all of what you said would happen if Blizzard didnt kowtow to China.


tanker27 wrote:
I feel American businesses should never capitulate to any other country, ever! But that's not what is happening.


Either this has nothing to do with Blizzard capitulating to China, or it does.

You say it doesn't, and when I say that it does, you say "we're not saying anything different" and "[You] just assumed we all understood [that]."

---

Pick one?

tanker27 wrote:
(In all these years I've never been on the other side of a Glorious post! If TR would shutter tomorrow I would relish the fact that I was his last on TR! :P )


No hard feelings at all, but when you keep going back to "...but he broke the rules", yes, I am compelled (I am still *that* glorious after all, not some imposter who bought my account and took over my name... :P :D ) to point out that Blizzard doesn't even agree with you! In response to the backlash, they reinstated the prize morning (thereby admitting that he had broken no rule pertaining to that) and even halved the penalty for the (supposedly) "apolitical" rule he did break.

----

Anyway, let me channel what someone else embroiled in a similar situation said:

"I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation" :P


Again! No hard feelings! :)
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm

To be even more clear:

Why am I going off?

Because Blizzard is taking the totalitarian line here.

No, I don't actually mean the Chinese line, the current political line of the Mainland Government that is why this is all happening, not just in esports, but sports and basically everything else.

No, something much worse:

Blizzard is taking our language, our political concepts, even newer ones that I don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with in the first place, and saying that they *REALLY* apply to their diametric opposite.

Blizzard did that. Not China.

China never told Blizzard that they had to defend this by taking our political concepts and turning them completely on their head.

But yet that's what happened: "Safety & Inclusion" are values that are meant to empower and protect marginalized & oppressed minorities.

BLIZZARD, not China, decided that it actually applied to protecting the political sensitivities of an authoritarian world power, specifically in reference to their suppression of a marginalized minority (HK protesters).

No. Forever no. Die in a fire levels of NO. (to spell it out, this is the definition of Orwellian. Ministry of Peace, etc... Ring a bell? :D )

And I'm actually rather soft on the "Is it ok to protect Chinese political sensitivities?" question.
 
meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Ignoring the specifics of this HK-China-Blizzard case, the core idea behind "no politics" rules does make sense. Even when it's seemingly or factually obvious whose side one should pick.

Most people playing a computer game (or in a sports event) are there for the game. Not to join the fray on a potentially contentious political issue.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Glorious wrote:
To be even more clear:

Why am I going off?

Because Blizzard is taking the totalitarian line here.

No, I don't actually mean the Chinese line, the current political line of the Mainland Government that is why this is all happening, not just in esports, but sports and basically everything else.

No, something much worse:

Blizzard is taking our language, our political concepts, even newer ones that I don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with in the first place, and saying that they *REALLY* apply to their diametric opposite.

Blizzard did that. Not China.

China never told Blizzard that they had to defend this by taking our political concepts and turning them completely on their head.

But yet that's what happened: "Safety & Inclusion" are values that are meant to empower and protect marginalized & oppressed minorities.

BLIZZARD, not China, decided that it actually applied to protecting the political sensitivities of an authoritarian world power, specifically in reference to their suppression of a marginalized minority (HK protesters).

No. Forever no. Die in a fire levels of NO. (to spell it out, this is the definition of Orwellian. Ministry of Peace, etc... Ring a bell? :D )

And I'm actually rather soft on the "Is it ok to protect Chinese political sensitivities?" question.


Because they cannot upset the cash cow! This is the bottom line for Activision-Blizzard.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 pm

meerkt wrote:
Ignoring the specifics of this HK-China-Blizzard case, the core idea behind "no politics" rules does make sense. Even when it's seemingly or factually obvious whose side one should pick.


If it is faithfully and equally applied, of course it makes sense.

However, in this case, that's already been undermined because Blizzard admitted they had no reason under their rules to strip him of the prize money, and so they've reinstated it. They specifically said "our process wasn't adequate" i.e. capricious and arbitrary, and "we reacted too quickly" i.e. kneejerk in fear of China.

Hence, no, this rule was not fairly applied. This is not a matter of dispute: Blizzard already admitted it. It's right there, in plain language.

---

More to the point, if there was no backlash against it, would Blizzard have done anything? The answer, pretty clearly, is no: Blizzard specifically mentions fan outcry, specifically that people were questioning their core values, as what prompted this.

Again. It's right there, in plain language.

meerkt wrote:
Most people playing a computer game (or in a sports event) are there for the game. Not to join the fray on a potentially contentious political issue.


Let's say I agree with you entirely.

Given that Blizzard admits that it went overboard, wouldn't that mean that Blizzard is the culpable party here? That by not properly handling this, they made it into a larger "contentious political issue" instead of just apolitically and uniformly applying the general policy of "no politics, please?"

And, given the implications of what they are saying now, well, what would you say they are doing? For me, they've just made it even more political.

SAFE + INCLUSIVE DOES NOT MEAN "DON'T CRITICIZE THE POWERFUL, FOR THEY HAVE MONEY".

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Do your dirt in the dark, like everyone else. There are infinite compromises in life, but never will I ever eat dirt and say it's delicious.

---

I'd also note, despite what you and I might think about how "people aren't here for politics", that our attitude is simply not the prevailing one in American culture, especially recently: NFL, anthem, anyone?

---

You know, I grew up with the children of dissidents from a variety of countries, from a panoply of political specters: I had a friend whose family fled Afghanistan and the Soviets, I had another whose family fled Pinochet's Chile: Oppression is an equal opportunity employer.

So, on a more personal note, where do we draw the line? If a winner of a prominent event thanks "his father (or uncle etc...), who could not be here today" because he was murdered or currently detained by the country everyone knows the winner fled, such a thing is usually considered a criticism of the relevant regime even if it was never stated as such. It will definitely be considered as criticism by the regime itself, without question.

Is this subject easy? No, of course not. Which is why Blizzard rightfully gets backlash, regardless of how you fall on the "must be apolitical" spectrum, because what Blizzard did *was* political.
Last edited by Glorious on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Because they cannot upset the cash cow! This is the bottom line for Activision-Blizzard.


But don't you see?

If that is so, why were you against another cash cow (the US market) trying to affect that bottom-line?

That's literally the point: If China can wave the almighty dollar at Blizzard, so can Waco. Right?

So why, WHY? are you criticizing Waco for doing it, DEFENSIVELY, when you simply accept, as matter of unavoidable reality, that China is doing it OFFENSIVELY?


IT DOES NOT COMPUTE.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Blizzard, instead of knee-jerking, could made a considered decision and then made an actual apolitical statement to the effect of:

"While we are aware of strong passions in these trying times, Blizzard is a gaming company and these events are about gaming. That's why we have rules--rules that all players previously agreed to--that the content of expression in tournaments be about the tournaments. There are innumerable other forums available for social or political expression, but we want participants and spectators to fully focused on the exciting action occurring in the tournament itself."


etc....

This is what PR people do for a living. Make them earn their wages.

Instead they're now (days later!) lying and saying that their "relationships in China had no influence on our decision" and arguing that safety & inclusion means their exact opposite. Up is down, etc...
 
qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Well back on topic! :)

Honestly this reeks of a high-up exec making a "swift" decision rather than taking a PR management approach. From the "open-ended punishments" in the contract to the "termination" (I think a ban is the right term) of the casters... and now the PR team is having to deal with the downfall.

With that being said, I would love to see what are the actual account deletion statistics that have been occurring out of this event! It is bad for everyone involved! (maybe not for Activision-Blizzard, as their stock already re-bounced: https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/a ... 203367672/ )
 
meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Glorious wrote:
If it is faithfully and equally applied, of course it makes sense.

However, in this case, that's already been undermined because Blizzard admitted ...

Alright.

I just commented because I had the impression some people were claiming that in any case Blizzard is inherently wrong to sanction, whether because it's China (deserves automatic oppose) or HK (automatic support).

On second thought, I don't remember if it was in this thread or articles or discussions elsewhere.

where do we draw the line? If a winner of a prominent event thanks "his father (or uncle etc...), who could not be here today" because he was murdered or currently detained by the country everyone knows

Judgement call.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:07 pm

meerkt wrote:
I just commented because I had the impression some people were claiming that in any case Blizzard is inherently wrong to sanction, whether because it's China (deserves automatic oppose) or HK (automatic support).


...OK?

meerkt wrote:
On second thought, I don't remember if it was in this thread or articles or discussions elsewhere.


...please check first?

meerkt wrote:
Judgement call.


...and people don't like the judgement call in this case.........


...where are we going... wheeee!
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Well this thread got fun. :lol: I stand by my decision, and the reasoning is purely because of the active hypocrisy from Blizzard. It's one thing to do business with China. It's another to actively support their anti-human rights government while [i]lying about it[iI].

I'll happily cut ties with any other company doing the same.

I'd love to see account deletion statistics but I doubt they'll be released. It was enough to crash their deletion server over and over, so it was more than a small number.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:33 am

Glorious wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Because they cannot upset the cash cow! This is the bottom line for Activision-Blizzard.


But don't you see?

If that is so, why were you against another cash cow (the US market) trying to affect that bottom-line?

That's literally the point: If China can wave the almighty dollar at Blizzard, so can Waco. Right?

So why, WHY? are you criticizing Waco for doing it, DEFENSIVELY, when you simply accept, as matter of unavoidable reality, that China is doing it OFFENSIVELY?


IT DOES NOT COMPUTE.



Because China literally has the US by the gonads. Almost every consumer product is produced; in some way, whether it be in part or whole in China. Again I'm not defending China nor am I defending Blizzard here. But Blizzard just did business like all other businesses do. Do and tell the US one thing and China another. We all know this is happening daily, hourly if you will. Some of us ignorant to the fact, some not. It took an incident like this to educate everyone that this is how business is being conducted. Which fuels my criticisms of "boycotting". If you are going to apply it here you best apply it elsewhere.

In any case it's a lose/lose situation.

We are still seeing backlash at Activision Blizzard. Blizzard just canceled their event to promote Overwatch on the Switch for today. link

Like I said its going to get real ugly now. We shall see what happens at Blizzcon, if they even move forward with it for this year. I'll just grab my popcorn and watch.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am

tanker27 wrote:
But Blizzard just did business like all other businesses do. Do and tell the US one thing and China another. We all know this is happening daily, hourly if you will. Some of us ignorant to the fact, some not. It took an incident like this to educate everyone that this is how business is being conducted. Which fuels my criticisms of "boycotting". If you are going to apply it here you best apply it elsewhere.


This is entirely incoherent.

You say it's business, and businesses have to respond to threats of boycotts. You present this as inevitable.

But then, when Americans apply the EXACT SAME LOGIC and boycott in response, BLAM! You criticize them.

WTF dude? Seriously, wat? Did you think this through?

Especially when you laid into the the so-called hypocrisy of the boycotters? :o

Are you crazy? You just openly admitted that Blizzard is brazenly hypocritical, and you're like "well, get educated"?

Tanker, do you hear yourself?

(EDIT: *ESPECIALLY* because you can't even be like "it's different because China can actually succeed at this whereas it is a forelorn hope for guys like Waco". Nope. You yourself are warning of the consequences and mentioned how Blizzard last moment canceled the Overwatch event. This approach *IS* getting results. You *ADMIT* It's not futile!)

tanker27 wrote:
In any case it's a lose/lose situation.


Hey! It's just business. It takes an incident like this to educate everyone that this how business is being conducted.

Consider yourself educated, tanker.

tanker27 wrote:
We are still seeing backlash at Activision Blizzard. Blizzard just canceled their event to promote Overwatch on the Switch for today. link


hahah, I mean, yeah. Hey, let me quote someone about this:

"Because [Americans] literally has [Blizzard] by the gonads"

tanker27 wrote:
Like I said its going to get real ugly now. We shall see what happens at Blizzcon, if they even move forward with it for this year. I'll just grab my popcorn and watch.


It was ugly at the beginning. You just bizarrely accept that ugliness, which is entirely coercive (The Chinese GOVERNMENT would be doing the boycott) and in service to authoritarianism and promise-breaking(When it comes to online CCGs, the concept of "rules" and pacta sunt servanda is sacrosanct to you! Blitzchung *GASP* BROKE THEM! QUELLE HORREUR! SERIOUS BUSINESS! :roll: So who cares if China promised it wouldn't do anything like this until 2047? That only involves millions of people, it's not a big deal like esports ladders... :roll: ). You, even more bizarrely, heavily criticize the "ugliness" of people individually and non-coercively just deciding "nah, I'm not going to support that" in support of FUNDAMENTAL AMERICAN CUSTOMS LIKE "FREEDOM".

Tanker, "I beseech you, from the bowels of Azeroth, [to] think it possible that you may be mistaken." :wink:
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 am

BAH. I will put it succinctly:

If you boycott Blizzard for this incident and also happen to be an Apple user and don't boycott Apple for essentially the same thing THEN YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 am

tanker27 wrote:
Because China literally has the US by the gonads. Almost every consumer product is produced; in some way, whether it be in part or whole in China. Again I'm not defending China nor am I defending Blizzard here. But Blizzard just did business like all other businesses do. Do and tell the US one thing and China another. We all know this is happening daily, hourly if you will. Some of us ignorant to the fact, some not. It took an incident like this to educate everyone that this is how business is being conducted. Which fuels my criticisms of "boycotting". If you are going to apply it here you best apply it elsewhere.

I'm confused by your narrative here. "Boycotting is pointless" followed by "Blizzard is actively responding to the actions of those boycotting".

How is it possible you're missing the hypocrisy here? Privately being hypocrites is one thing, but doing it on a global stage, publicly, and then lying about it publicly is another thing entirely. Yes, it's a reality of global competition that China has some involvement. What is not required is tacit approval of their censorship of the world and being lied to. Please don't bring "whataboutism" into this as you're clearly trying to; it's a weak tactic used to imply that doing nothing is okay because there are other bad things out there. All or nothing is rarely a useful stance.

EDIT: Nope, not an Apple user. Apple's stance on this is not great either, but at least they aren't lying to us about it.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

Tanker27 wrote:
If you boycott Blizzard for this incident and also happen to be an Apple user and don't boycott Apple for essentially the same thing THEN YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!


Let me get this straight, your "point" here is that, contingent upon a stipulation, we're hypocrites?

Seriously?

Especially when, in my case, you really ought to already know that the stipulation is incorrect:

Glorious wrote:
That's why I've never spent money on an Apple product for my own use in my entire life. I've had various apple machines, sure, but they've never gotten a dime from me for anything I was going to use myself


I've repeatedly said for years now, that I don't really do Apple stuff, that I only have MS for games/tablet/HTPC and use linux primarily.

It's hard to imagine that you've missed all of it, right?

---

Again, no hard feelings dude, but this is obtusely absurd: You're now saying that we're conditionally hypocritical according to what is, in itself, a completely debatable equation between Apple and Blizzard! WAT? :o

And you're saying this to defend a company that YOU NOT ONLY ADMIT IS 100% HYPOCRITICAL BUT DID NOT REPROACH THEM FOR IN THE SLIGHTEST:

Tanker27 wrote:
But Blizzard just did business like all other businesses do. Do and tell the US one thing and China another.
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5835
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 am

Waco wrote:
Well this thread got fun. :lol: I stand by my decision, and the reasoning is purely because of the active hypocrisy from Blizzard. It's one thing to do business with China. It's another to actively support their anti-human rights government while [i]lying about it[iI].

I'll happily cut ties with any other company doing the same.

I'd love to see account deletion statistics but I doubt they'll be released. It was enough to crash their deletion server over and over, so it was more than a small number.


I'm more interested to see the number of refunds for Blizzcon 2019 tickets.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:29 am

Krogoth wrote:
I'm more interested to see the number of refunds for Blizzcon 2019 tickets.

I think the number of people being kicked out will also be interesting.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am

Waco wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
I'm more interested to see the number of refunds for Blizzcon 2019 tickets.

I think the number of people being kicked out will also be interesting.

Or general protesting. Didn't Mei from Overwatch get some HK fan art? There's still time to put a cosplay together.

Heck, they do live Q&A. I'm curious if an attendee is willing to use that as a platform (and how the crowd might respond).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9381
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:47 am

Waco wrote:
I'm confused by your narrative here. "Boycotting is pointless"


Nope never said that. You infer too much. In fact I stand buy the "speak with your wallet" mantra. You probably should re-read your initial statements, I called them weak because they read like someone looking for an out.

Waco wrote:
"Blizzard is actively responding to the actions of those boycotting".


HUH. I just pointed out what has transpired. Neither me linking that wasn't meant as a statement of some kind. Again you infer too much.


Glorious wrote:
And you're saying this to defend a company............
.

I am not defending Blizzard. What they did and are doing is wrong!

Anyways I'm done. Been a good talk. I'll just watch what happens and eat my popcorn from here on out. (If you want my guess, Blizzcon is 1 NOV. I bet they cancel it)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Anyways I'm done. Been a good talk.


Yeah, don't sweat it. We're cool.

I know I always go all out, I'm like constitutionally incapable of doing anything else, unfortunately. But it was always about the argument and never about you.

So, yeah: Peace.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Krogoth wrote:
I'm more interested to see the number of refunds for Blizzcon 2019 tickets.


I'm even more interested to see if Blizzcon 2020 is even held in the US. :lol:
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11911
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:12 pm

superjawes wrote:
Didn't Mei from Overwatch get some HK fan art? There's still time to put a cosplay together.


Yeah, there is a deliberate campaign now to try and get her so associated with HK in the fandom that Blizzard will overreact and officially do something to the character.

I'm serious. There's an unbelievable amount of user-content like that now.

---

The wild thing is that it could even work: 4chan decided to meme-magic the "OK" hand-sign into racism, and less than 3 years later (last month even) it went 100% mainstream. :o

It's surreal.

I don't know how to talk to normal people anymore. It's like you are in "They Live" and you don't even need the glasses.
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 pm

tanker27 wrote:
You probably should re-read your initial statements, I called them weak because they read like someone looking for an out.

To try to understand your position, I just read the first page in order. I still don't understand your last statement here. Do you know people that actively look to throw away money under false pretenses?

I said their reaction was 100% inappropriate, so I deleted my account. Their partial retraction of their actions don't change a thing especially given how two-faced and blatantly false it is.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3414
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Location: Location

Re: Goodbye Battle.net -

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 pm

The fun's only beginning.

After Blizzard backtracked partway, they are now being firmly asked - by none other than actual senators - to reverse it all the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndxsivgNPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
GZIP: On