Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Gemini Man IMAX 3D HFR experience

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:14 am

Just got back from viewing Gemini Man in IMAX 3D HFR. I was afraid going in coz I wasted money on the Nvidia 3D Vision back in the day and couldn't perceive any 3D effect. Asked my optometrist about it and she said that some people never develop stereo vision due to some birth defect. So, I was supposed to be stereo blind but thankfully, I saw the full 3D effect for the first time in my life and I must say, it was hella immersive! Like watching everything happening in front of you just a few feet away. The huge screen size helped no doubt and the sound effects were deafening yet precise.

HFR was 60 fps as far as I could tell and it really made the action scenes come alive. Sometimes it felt like I was playing an FPS game instead of passively watching it. The exact experience is just so hard to describe for me. Unique, engrossing and original (the visuals, not the storyline), is all I can muster from my limited vocabulary. Damn, now I can't go back to watching 2D movies on the big screen ever again. It wasn't as bad as the imdb reviews suggested. Ang Lee's movies have a serious tone with an underlying message. I guess audiences don't like that. They want entertaining, laughter evoking stuff like Marvel's. Fans of ear busting sound effects should definitely check this one out. And I guess FPS diehards might also want to see what I am talking about.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Gemini Man IMAX 3D HFR experience

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:24 am

Ang Lee has become a HFR proponent, it seems. Next up, Avatar 2?

If you haven't seen it, for FPS there's Hardcore Henry. Not the greatest thing ever, but quirky, and interesting technically.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 am

meerkt wrote:
Ang Lee has become a HFR proponent, it seems. Next up, Avatar 2?

If you haven't seen it, for FPS there's Hardcore Henry. Not the greatest thing ever, but quirky, and interesting technically.

I have seen the first 15 minutes or so of it. Seemed great on paper but the special effects were lacking the finesse of big budget productions and the humor was kinda "Duke Nukem" like and I am just too old to find such jokes funny. Had to turn my attention to something more interesting. This sums it up nicely for me.

Sharlto Copley's Powers PSN series is a great way to kill some time though, especially If you want something more after watching "The Boys".

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Hey! I liked Hardcore Henry! It's not the best, but it's a fun watch! :D