Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Please share your real supernatural stories

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:21 pm

I SWEAR this has nothing to do with the upcoming Halloween. This is a completely organic post, sparked by a discussion of supernatural events that us three (I and two of my colleagues) experienced in real life.

So my Pathan friend told us that his father died before he was old enough to remember him. His father was said to be very strong and passed away from Appendicitis when he was only 23. Then my friend said that in his native land, it is common knowledge that unusually and naturally strong people do not survive health emergencies. He told us about his elder brother (who he also never got to see) who was only 3 months old when he passed away. One day around dinner time, the family was chatting away like families do. My friend's grandfather pointed to an almost full large jug of water and said, "My grandson is so strong that I bet he can lift this jug right now!". To everyone's amazement, the toddler crawled over to the jug and lifted it right up! A week later, the baby died under weird circumstances, which my friend can't unfortunately recall. He then went on to tell about this woman in his village who was normal in every way. Just a hardworking woman. But one day, she saved a cow who had fallen down a ravine. I don't remember my friend's exact words but I think she threw a rope around the cow's neck and pulled it right up like it was a baby goat. After that incident, the woman also died mysteriously. Now my friend told us something truly fascinating. He said that these people can be identified by their wrist. In them, the radius and ulna bones are fused together!

Then we got to discussing spirits or entities that like to stay in a single place and never leave. This happened to me. The lights of my room were turned off. There was a TV in the room and the remote control was lying on the bed in full view. I went into the room to fetch something. As soon as I stepped into the room, the TV turned on by itself! There was nothing on it. Just static. I looked to where the remote was lying. It was still there. I was completely alone and there wasn't anyone else nearby. Later on, in that same room, I experienced wakeful paralysis (not sleep paralysis because I was just resting on my bed and it happened suddenly and then I couldn't move a muscle. It felt like something heavy was pressing down on my chest but I couldn't move my eyeballs downward to see what it was. I wanted to shout as loud as possible to call for help but no voice came out of my larynx. It lasted about 30 seconds to a minute. Scared the living daylights out of me! Another incident in that same room that I forgot to tell my colleagues but I will recount here: Once we had a blackout. There was ample moonlight coming in through the windows so I went to my room for something. Suddenly, I saw a flash of light under my bed! I went on my knees and tried to see what it could have been but there was nothing out of the ordinary there. After a few years, I went abroad for work and for various reasons never returned to that house that my family was living in. They told me over the phone that things got plenty worse. One day, they saw something menacing written in blood on a wall in the drawing room. They had to work hard to clean it up because it was apparently, REAL BLOOD! They eventually sold that house.

So anyway, now my Filipino friend started telling us about the entity in his room. If anyone other than him would happen to be in the room, strange things would happen. Once he was lying on his bed with all his cousins and just chilling. They were making a video on a mobile phone. Suddenly, they saw a black figure standing in the doorway. They captured it on video but there was nothing ordinary to the shape of that thing. It was complete pitch blackness. A week later, the mobile phone broke somehow and the video became unrecoverable. He also told us that whoever other than him slept in his room either experienced horrifying nightmares or sleep paralysis. And on some nights, he himself experienced a consistent knocking sound on his bedroom window. It had a definite pattern to it. Perhaps it was morse code? But he never bothered to find out. He still has that room so the next time he goes back, maybe there will be something fresh to report. My Pathan friend warned him that it could possibly be a female entity sweet on him and advised him never EVER to take his girlfriend or wife into his bedroom. And so concludes a most interesting discussion I had today. Please feel free to share your experiences and for the love of Dear God, please don't make stuff up. May God bless you all.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Please share your real supernatural stories

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Well this is just....
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Several years ago while we were staying with some friends up in Wisconsin, my wife had a really freaky paranormal experience after a day of heavy drinking. It seriously weirded me out too, but I was nearly as drunk as she was so my own judgement is probably suspect. Does that count?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Several years ago while we were staying with some friends up in Wisconsin, my wife had a really freaky paranormal experience after a day of heavy drinking. It seriously weirded me out too, but I was nearly as drunk as she was so my own judgement is probably suspect. Does that count?

What was the experience?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:28 pm

She heard voices, and took off (on foot) down a pitch dark rural road at like 2:00 AM. Our host and I followed trying to talk her into turning around. About a half mile down the road she stops, and a creepy dude appears out of nowhere talking about some bad stuff that happened a few years prior in the abandoned farmhouse at the crossroads we were standing near. Things creepy dude described were broadly consistent with the voices she heard. It was like something out of a bad horror movie.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
She heard voices, and took off (on foot) down a pitch dark rural road at like 2:00 AM. Our host and I followed trying to talk her into turning around. About a half mile down the road she stops, and a creepy dude appears out of nowhere talking about some bad stuff that happened a few years prior in the abandoned farmhouse at the crossroads we were standing near. Things creepy dude described were broadly consistent with the voices she heard. It was like something out of a bad horror movie.

The farmhouse must have been haunted. The creepy dude probably saved you and your wife from something traumatic or worse, outright possession.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
Things creepy dude described were broadly consistent with the voices she heard.

Just curious. What happened next? Did you turn back and sleep it off? Did you and your wife discuss the incident next morning? Ever think of going back, maybe exploring the farmhouse in the daytime? Is the farmhouse still there? What exactly happened there? Murder?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Just curious. What happened next? Did you turn back and sleep it off?

Yeah, basically.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Did you and your wife discuss the incident next morning?

Nothing beyond "WTF happened last night? That was really bizarre! We really shouldn't drink that much..."

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Ever think of going back, maybe exploring the farmhouse in the daytime?

Nope. At least I haven't.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Is the farmhouse still there?

No idea.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
What exactly happened there? Murder?

Memory's a little fuzzy on the details, but IIRC it had something to do with someone being held against their will, abuse, and a death under suspicious circumstances.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Did you and your wife discuss the incident next morning?

Nothing beyond "WTF happened last night? That was really bizarre! We really shouldn't drink that much..."

In the movies, the woman usually doesn't let go. She becomes convinced that she can hear the dead and starts to explore her hidden ability by contacting someone well-versed in the supernatural. Your wife wasn't the least curious about why she was the only one who heard the voices?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
outright possession.

Man, I hate it when that happens.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:20 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
In the movies, the woman usually doesn't let go.
True. And we all know that the movies are 100% accurate depictions of things that happen 100% of the time in real life.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:16 am

Also those movies all end up with messed up stuff or deaths.

So, assuming the movies *ARE* real, the *RIGHT* answer is "WALK AWAY" and "NO, DO NOT 'INVESTIGATE' THE NOISES".

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 am

"HEY IF YOU WATCH THIS BAD QUALITY, AVANT-GARDE ABSURDIST VHS TAPE YOU'll DIE IN SEVEN DAYS"

"I don't have a VCR."

-fin-

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 am

Glorious wrote:
"HEY IF YOU WATCH THIS BAD QUALITY, AVANT-GARDE ABSURDIST VHS TAPE YOU'll DIE IN SEVEN DAYS"

"I don't have a VCR."

Long Live the New Flesh!!
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:50 am

TBH the most plausible explanation I came up with was that creepy dude lived nearby, heard us coming down the road (I'm sure we were not quiet), and went to investigate. Upon discovering three obviously enebriated people (one of whom was talking about hearing voices) stumbling around in the dark, he decided to troll us.

Probably had a good laugh with his buddies about it the next day.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 am

Alternative explanation: weird creepy dude was supplying the voices from the start and wanted to finish off the prank.

This is no longer supernatural, but arguably even creepier.

:P

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
TBH the most plausible explanation I came up with was that creepy dude lived nearby, heard us coming down the road (I'm sure we were not quiet), and went to investigate. Upon discovering three obviously enebriated people (one of whom was talking about hearing voices) stumbling around in the dark, he decided to troll us.

Probably had a good laugh with his buddies about it the next day.

Did you discuss this thread with your wife? Does she have anything to say? Maybe she forgot all about the incident as women have lots of things to keep themselves busy with. If you were to remind her, who knows? She might start on a quest of discovering her innate supernatural hearing ability and ultimately become a real life ghost whisperer. And that would help a lot of people. So many out there need closure.

Thagarr
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Back when I was 21, I had a job working at a convenience store. It was a newly built store that had only been around a couple of years when I started working there. I just happened to work with a lot of people I liked, some were my friends before I started there. We all pretty much had a good time, and it was a very relaxed work environment. The store had a couple of arcade game machines, some booths for customers, and some of the other usual conveniences of a convenience store.

The store manager was a woman in her 40’s, and at the time, she was having marital issues with her idiot husband. One night after closing, I don’t remember the exact date, but I believe it was in October, I was in the office doing paperwork and closing out my cash drawer for the day, the office door was open, and my manager was in the back of the cooler restocking the drink shelves. I heard footsteps walk past the office door.

It sounded like they had walked up the hallway from the cooler. I heard them walk back past the door again towards the cooler a few seconds later. I was concentrating on paperwork, and didn’t even bother looking up as I knew that there were only two of us in the store, the doors were all locked, as I had locked them myself at closing. There were also small bells on the doors that we could hear throughout the store, except in the cooler, to alert us when customers came in. I did not hear any bells, so I knew no one had opened a door. I figured she had just come up to get a cigarette or check on something, so I just kept working.

About 10 minutes later, just as I had finished my paperwork, my manager came stumbling into the office and leaned up against the door jamb, breathing heavy and holding her head. She had a big red mark across the side of her face. She said to me “Someone just hit me and knocked me out!” I immediately thought her idiot husband had snuck in with a spare key or something and those were the footsteps I had heard! I immediately jumped up, helped her to the chair, told her to stay there, I would go take care of the SOB! I ran out into the store expecting to have to beat the crap out of the guy, and my adrenaline had kicked in ready for a fight!

I am a pretty good sized man, and I am not easily intimidated. I used to bench press 400 lbs in high-school. So I was very capable of snapping this idiot in two like a twig. I had seen him on many occasions and knew exactly who I was looking for! There was no one in the store. I checked every isle just to make sure he was not hiding, checked the bathrooms, checked the cooler, behind the counter, no one!

The store at one time had been a full service gas station, so it had an attached service center with one garage door on either end of the service bay, we only used it for storage, and the doors were always locked, and could only be opened from the inside. OK, I thought, he has to be out there! So I unlocked the door to the garage and yelled “I know your out here jerk!” Nothing.

There was no sign that anyone had been in the store since we had closed. I went back to the office and tried to calm down a bit, she was still exactly where I had left her, and seemed to be breathing a little easier. I asked her if she had seen or heard anyone, she said no, she was just stocking beer, bent down to get some bottles out of a 12 pack for the shelf, started to stand up and BAM! Someone hit her. She was very adamant that it was someone, not something!

After I had calmed down a bit, and she had recovered, I asked her if she had walked up to the counter after she had went back to the cooler, she said no, that she had been in the cooler the entire time. I asked her to show me exactly where she was. I figured maybe she had just misjudged where she was and when she turned to stand up, she had smacked her head on one of the shelf supports. We walked back to the cooler, and she showed me where she had been standing. The 12-pack that she was working on had been ripped open and there were a couple of bottles of Budweiser on the floor where she had dropped them after getting hit. There was also a bottle of Miller on the floor. None of the 3 bottles were broken, or leaking.

From the position she was in, there was no way she could have hit any of the shelf support posts, or the shelves, and there was nothing else in the cooler that she could possibly have hit hear head on. All the cases were stacked on the floor, and none even came close to being stacked that high. Even though the hairs on the back of my neck were standing straight up, I finished stocking the 12-pack, and set the bottle of Miller on the shelf, We headed up front, and I am pretty sure were were both thinking the same thing. Time to GTFO!! I asked her if she wanted me to call someone, she said no, she was feeling better and didn’t want to try and explain this one! We had pretty much finished for the night anyway, so we both left.

We had had a history of strange things happening in that store, occasionally we would hear footsteps when no one was in the store. We would find things moved around on the shelves, things out of place after they had just been stocked and no customers had been down the isle. We only had 5 isles and it was pretty easy to tell if anyone was in them from the register. Some other employees even heard other sounds that they couldn’t explain, like voices and music. I never experienced those personally, though I usually had my own music, or a baseball game playing over the intercom.

The next afternoon when I came in to work, she told me that she had been to the doctor, they had sent her to the hospital that morning and she was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and she would be off of work for about a week. Sadly, the convenience store was sold to a new corporate owner a few weeks later, and they replaced her as manager and we lost touch after that. I worked there for probably about another year, but never had anything really remarkable happen after that. It is certainly possible that the brain aneurysm is what caused her to loose consciousness and fall to the floor, but that does not explain the footsteps. Or the unbroken bottle of Miller on the concrete cooler floor. It also does not explain all the other strange incidents that had occurred throughout the history of that store.

About 15 years after this incident, the store was closed down, I happened to learn that the location where the store was built had been a performance theater back in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s and it had been burnt to the ground. I am not entirely sure this qualifies as supernatural, but I will leave you to draw your own conclusions from my story. I will simply add that I do not believe in ghosts. Charlie Daniels said it best, there are some things in this world you just can’t explain!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Thagarr, what you have described is consistent with the behavior of a Jinn. It is possible that your store manager did something that rattled the Jinn and he/she decided to teach your manager a lesson. It could have been something as simple as turning on a light in a usually dark and normally unpopulated place where the Jinn prefer to reside. They don't hurt humans unless provoked. One Bangladeshi guy told me that in his country, it is not uncommon to find someone dressed in white praying in a mosque in the early hours of the morning. If you do find someone like that, just don't try talking to them or looking at their face. As long as you let them be, they will leave you alone. But if you violate these unwritten rules, then you might experience some sort of horror, much as the one you described.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I don't understand the title of this thread. Are you looking for real stories or supernatural stories?

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Zing!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Meadows wrote:
I don't understand the title of this thread. Are you looking for real stories or supernatural stories?

Real stories with a supernatural element to them.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Meadows wrote:

Real stories with a supernatural element to them.

Be aware that nearly everyone else here likely considers that to be an inherent contradiction. I.e., the result is a null set!

While the story I posted is real, I don't believe it has a supernatural explanation.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
While the story I posted is real, I don't believe it has a supernatural explanation.

Even if the creepy guy heard a bunch of drunk people talking loudly about voices, how did the prankster(s) put voices in your wife's head in the first place so that only she could hear them and none of the other people present with her did? Seems pretty elaborate if it was just a prank. The US military would love to get its hands on that technology...

Or maybe it was just plain old Force?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 am

Or maybe she was just REALLY drunk? As in, had to be convinced not to lie down and take a nap in the middle of a dirt road drunk?

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 am

There are these thread to poke about in:
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... ilit=Ouija

And
https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... ilit=Ouija

Kind of entertaining as I have forgotten about some of this stuff. When my wife and I went house shopping back in the early 2000's, we rejected a few houses that I picked up on as having something "wrong" about them. One of them a bachelor had lived in for 30+ years, and died in it. We could tell he was still there. It was a heck of a good deal in a good location, but we turned it down. We wound up running into the new owners several years later, and told us that the house was very haunted indeed, but it was a friendly haunting and they were cool with it.

I just don't like the idea of being intimate with the wife and someone is watching. Not into that.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:58 am

My best real supernatural story was SEGMENTATION FAULT.

See what happens when you try to print NULL? Bad things!
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am

I've let the magic smoke out of a few computer components over the years. Does that count as supernatural?

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:47 am

Waco wrote:
My best real supernatural story was SEGMENTATION FAULT.

OH NOES! MY DATAS!

I blame the magical gremlins for moving the bits around!
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am

Waco wrote:

https://youtu.be/Mw3zzMWOIvk
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.