Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The base 10 number system was created by man.

Woman, more likely, or we'd be using base 11.

I think that whizzed over the head of most. :lol:

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:45 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Was it the Illuminati's idea?

No. The Illuminati are nothing compared to God. But thanks anyway, my friend. Your post led me to this: https://www.cia.gov/library/abbottabad- ... nati.R.pdf

This is why we need to eradicate ignorance, improve the human condition and then go after these satanists! It will be a good day indeed when there isn't a single one of them left on God's Good Earth.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:45 am

The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The base 10 number system was created by man.

Woman, more likely, or we'd be using base 11.

I think that whizzed over the head of most. :lol:

I think, yes. Please elaborate.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 am

You might want to google my signature, Igor.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:24 am

Igor_Kavinski, you seem to experiencing something that I don't think anyone here, on the internet, can really fully relate to. Is there someone in your life, that you know personally and are comfortable with, that you can share this with?

I don't mean this particular insight, I mean what's probably the overwhelming sense of discovery, explanation, and connection. You know, the over-arching thing that's behind all of this. Do you know what I mean?

There's a lot going on, I think, and it might be best if you contact someone in real-life that can help you navigate it generally, as opposed to asking people specific questions about any of these topics. If you are looking for someone to come alongside you in this, whatever it may be, the internet just might not be the most suitable place for that.

So I ask again, is there anyone you can talk to in real-life? Is there anyone responsible who you respect that you can ask if they can help you find someone to talk with?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 am

Glorious wrote:
So I ask again, is there anyone you can talk to in real-life? Is there anyone responsible who you respect that you can ask if they can help you find someone to talk with?

Thanks but I don't need a shrink. There is nothing wrong with drawing conclusions from observations. That does not make me cuckoo.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Glorious wrote:

Thanks but I don't need a shrink. There is nothing wrong with drawing conclusions from observations. That does not make me cuckoo.

You're making wild leaps of illogic, and assuming that there must be a cause-and-effect relationship when what you're actually seeing is chance correlation (i.e. pure coincidence) and/or selection bias. While that doesn't make you "cuckoo", it does seem to indicate that you're extremely gullible, and somewhat lacking in ability to reason logically.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I never said that you were a cuckoo, or that you should even see a shrink. There's no need to get defensive or anything like that.

I have plenty of esoteric views myself, but I also recognize that there are aspects of my posting that I could handle better. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

But that's my problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with you. I'm just saying that this isn't any sort of attack or dismissal.

It's just friendly advice: the internet makes it easy to misconstrue people, and it works both ways: People maybe don't understand you, and maybe you don't understand how they perceive you.

Anyway, that's what I am getting at: You are looking for some sort of response that I don't think you're really going to get here. That's why I suggested that you talk to someone in real-life, which is what I actually said, not "cuckoo" or "go see a shrink".

I said someone responsible, because they might be able to help you reach whatever it is that you are grasping towards. You seem to be looking for connection, discovery, and affirmation. The internet just isn't the best venue for that, so I'm just pointing out that your efforts here maybe in vain.

Because, if you do feel like you are on exhilarating wave of boundless exploration, I think you might find it valuable to talk about that, in and of itself, as opposed to just asking an indifferent or potentially hostile internet how it feels about a series of otherwise unrelated topics.

That's all. I merely meant what I actually said. and, honestly, your response makes it seems like you feel like you are under siege, or at least working your way uphill against how you think people perceive you.

And that might be it, right there: If you could talk to someone in real-life about these feelings and ideas, maybe they could help you present them in ways that won't immediately have you preemptively saying "No I'm not cuckoo!". :wink:

People in real-life who read your posts and -also- have you explain them in person have an obvious advantage over everyone here! We can only read them! :P

That might simply help you to formulate your thoughts better, which is what a professor of a communications course would do, for instance.

See what I mean?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am

Glorious wrote:
See what I mean?

Good advice, actually. Sadly, the chances of someone taking me seriously in real life are slim to none. I don't know anyone like that and finding such a person would be a tall order, considering I get only one day off per week and usually spend that sleeping, resting and relaxing.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Good advice, actually. Sadly, the chances of someone taking me seriously in real life are slim to none.

What makes you think your chances of getting someone here to take you seriously are any better? Especially when you react to uncomfortable lines of argument by saying things like "God is Great. Maybe this is happening for the sole reason that I might share this with the world so others can also benefit."

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Sadly, the chances of someone taking me seriously in real life are slim to none. I don't know anyone like that and finding such a person would be a tall order, considering I get only one day off per week and usually spend that sleeping, resting and relaxing.

I think addressing that is more important than seeking people online in the hope that they'll maybe engage with your ideas individually.

In fact, I think what you are doing now is only going to affect you negatively: This is the internet! It's not going to "take you seriously", it can't, and if you think it does, you are just setting yourself up for some sort of betrayal. Sad, but true :(

This is why I advised you to find someone to talk with about your situation in general, because until you do I don't think there is much of any chance of you getting anyone to seriously engage with your individual ideas.

I'm just letting you know: your general situation bleeds through your ideas, and, like it or not, people are going to be overwhelmed by it.

I'll be honest: People here are just reading right-through whatever you say, and they're all just thinking about the person who is saying it.

So, again, no matter how excited you are about your ideas and the slight possibility you might find someone to engage with over them, it's still really, really important that you address your general situation first.

It overpowers everything, understand?

One thing at a time: How come you only have one day off a week, that you need to use *entirely* to recuperate? What's going on?

I'm just on the internet, I don't know you. But is there someone in your life who does? That you could talk about this with them?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Good advice, actually. Sadly, the chances of someone taking me seriously in real life are slim to none.

What makes you think your chances of getting someone here to take you seriously are any better?

It doesn't hurt to try here. If I do the same in real life, I might get labelled as a "madman" and then life will take a turn for the worse.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 am

Glorious wrote:
One thing at a time: How come you only have one day off a week, that you need to use *entirely* to recuperate? What's going on?

It could be 99% my fault since I'm too cozy in my current job and don't want the uncertainty in trying to prove to a new employer that I'm worth keeping as an employee. Everyone in my workplace gets just one day off. So I'm not alone. This is the U.A.E.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:47 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
What makes you think your chances of getting someone here to take you seriously are any better?

It doesn't hurt to try here. If I do the same in real life, I might get labelled as a "madman" and then life will take a turn for the worse.

Heh... hard to argue with that line of reasoning. I actually agree with you for once!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

It doesn't hurt to try in real-life either, though, is what I'm trying to tell you.

Like if you just start out with the physical toll your situation is taking on you, that doesn't have a thing to do with "madman" or anything like it, and it might help your life take a turn for the better.

As you said, you do something six days and then on the 7th day you *HAVE* to recuperate.

Man, that's rough. Physically rough, you know? (Of course you do! You're living it!)

If, for instance, you're just exhausted all the time that might mean that you can't form your ideas and arguments as well as you otherwise could, which might mean they're more likely to get rejected, etc...

Which ends up meaning that all your efforts here are pointless anyway, and maybe they actually do hurt! I can't imagine everyone rejecting you feels very good, right?

So, like I said, it might be better if you try and reflect on, talk about, and improve your general situation.

Step by step. Even in debate club, they tell you to get a good nights rest etc... (well, I assume, I don't know anything about debate clubs :lol: )

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
It could be 99% my fault since I'm too cozy in my current job and don't want the uncertainty in trying to prove to a new employer that I'm worth keeping as an employee. Everyone in my workplace gets just one day off. So I'm not alone. This is the U.A.E.

So maybe talking to a career counselor or something like that might be beneficial!

You just admitted that you are too cozy, and that maybe you could do more!

Well, that's what I'm saying!

Talk to someone about your professional situation, simply by virtue of not being you, they might know of other opportunities, or simply help nudge you towards something if that's what you need.

And, face it, everyone gets comfortable and sometimes needs a little outside encouragement or a gentle push. That's totally, totally common.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am

Or it could mean working in the next job for a while until I get kicked out and then working at another place and getting kicked out again and so on. I'm not really an expert at anything. It's a miracle I have this job. I do have plans to get out of this situation I'm in, but between the job and my need to unwind at the end of the day, it's not exactly easy and might take quite a while, maybe even years.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:01 am

Well, if the professional situation is what is, are there other people in that same professional situation that you can hang out with and offload about it?

Odds are there is something like that, humans are generally social animals.

That could help a bunch dude, and it would be a much more fruitful outlet than strangers on the internet, particularly for topics that aren't entirely germane to the forum.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 am

Glorious wrote:
.. particularly for topics that aren't entirely germane to the forum.

Isn't that what the Back Porch is for? Discuss anything you like?

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am

That's not what I meant, I'm not saying that this, by itself, is "off-topic", it's just that the overall purpose of the forums are for tech enthusiasts, not diet or numerology.

All I'm saying is that this therefore isn't a very fertile field for finding people who share those interests, because most of the people here aren't here for that.

You're sort of hoping that incidentally they're interested in that stuff, but that's like going to a violin convention looking to talk about lawncare: you could find someone, but it's strange place to look if that's your purpose.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am

Or maybe you could point me to a forum that would be more receptive to my ideas. I'm guessing that you have seen / experienced more than me.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 pm

The diet topics are actually rather active, and the participants seem more knowledgeable than average.

But yeah, I'm guessing numerology and tech-oriented people aren't usually a good match, though it depends on the kind of conversation one is looking for.

Glorious,
I don't think the internet is necessarily hostile or indifferent, and it is a good venue for niche topics.
Even you are more relaxed in this thread than usual. :)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I checked out of the latest fad diet thread, because I don't see the point anymore. Sharing information with the general public carries with it a certain amount of responsibility, and as far as I can tell this dude has absolutely none. If they do in fact care at all about sharing information, then they care a lot more about being the source than they do about what they're selling.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Or maybe you could point me to a forum that would be more receptive to my ideas.

Imagine a world where search engines exist. Would be brilliant, wouldn't it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Meadows wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Or maybe you could point me to a forum that would be more receptive to my ideas.

It also seems a little odd to ask people who are clearly NOT receptive to your ideas for recommendations of forums which WOULD be. If anything, we'd probably be more familiar with forums which debunk those ideas.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Annoying random people on the Internet is a pastime enjoyed by many. I guess this is just their way of doing that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 am

ANNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD back to the topic under discussion, folks!

Name: Gerard Arpey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Arpey)
Born: July 26, 1958 (I see you, 8 my mate)

From https://www.businessinsider.com/boeing- ... ils-2019-9 ,

W. James McNerney, Jr., Boeing's CEO at the time, received a call from American Airlines' chief executive, Gerard Arpey. Arpey reportedly said that his airline was close to a deal for hundreds of Airbus narrow-body aircraft, warning that Boeing had to be more aggressive and timely to win its business.
Desperate to win the order, Boeing ditched the idea of designing a whole new airplane — which could take up to 10 years to get in the air — and instead pivoted to placing new engines on the 737 to create another new generation of the workhorse.

We have Arpey to thank for the (drumroll please) 737 Max 8 fiasco (say with me now: EIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!)

On October 29 at 6:20 a.m., Lion Air flight 610 took off from Jakarta, Indonesia.

6+2 in 6:20 A.M. equals 8, if my math is not wrong. Why 6:20 A.M.??? Why not P.M.??? Sucks otherwise you could have argued against it by converting it to 24h time format.

How annoying that the number 8 keeps turning up in relation to disasters. Must really irk the techie types who only believe in well-crafted algorithms and researched-to-death natural phenomena.

Oh while we are at it, let's see what this page says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... Flight_370

Disappearance: 8 March 2014 (Wow there it is again)

At 01:01, Flight 370's crew reported to Lumpur Radar that they had reached flight level 350, which they confirmed again at 01:08

3+5+0=8. And confirmation for that came 8 minutes past 0100.

Oh but wait, there's more!

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster ,

On March 27, 1977, two Boeing 747 passenger jets, operating KLM Flight 4805 and Pan Am Flight 1736, collided on the runway at Los Rodeos Airport (now Tenerife North Airport) on the Spanish island of Tenerife. Resulting in 583 fatalities, this accident was the deadliest in aviation history.

I can hear you all laughing now. There is no 8 here. But look closely. 4+8+0+5=8 and 1+7+3+6=8. Guess 8 and 8 can't resist each other!

Of course, I must be cuckoo. I can't see anything but 8 in some very, very important and historical disasters. Someone needs to lobotomize me before I find any more facts confirming my suspicion about the number 8.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 am

Meadows wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I googled "forum receptive to discussion about number 8". Here's the first three links returned:

https://math.meta.stackexchange.com/que ... tions?rq=1
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-list-of-nu ... 97207.html
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/f1.htm

Guess the most famous search engine of our times is no help to me.

But thanks anyway for your kind suggestion. At least, link no.3 will help me brush up my English skills.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:56 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I have noticed weird things about the number 8.

Examples:

The day Trump got elected

Narendra Modi giving orders to do crazy things like blasting a satellite out of the sky and demonetizing currency

German Chancellor Merkel allowing refugees to flood Germany

All of these have two things in common: disaster and the number 8. There are many more examples that I can't remember right now but I will be sure to list them when I do. The reason I started this post is coz I found out that Need for Speed Heat will be releasing on November 8. Not a good sign. Watch out for disaster! Also, another game releasing on the same day? Hideo Kojima's weird Death Stranding (what kind of name is that???). Remember, you read it here first!

GR8 B8 M8 I R8 IT 8/8
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 2080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | Intel 660P 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
GR8 B8 M8 I R8 IT 8/8

Now THAT'S original!