Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 am

Well, some might say metal is Satanic. :)

But if to be scientific about it, a list of positives or negatives doesn't say much without context.
You need to run statistics on a large dataset of events linked to all digits, and see if 8's negative/positive ratio is higher than other digits.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
... I guess you have done a fine job of shutting me up.

I think Hell just froze over! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:05 pm

meerkt wrote:
But if to be scientific about it, a list of positives or negatives doesn't say much without context.
You need to run statistics on a large dataset of events linked to all digits, and see if 8's negative/positive ratio is higher than other digits.

I wish someone would fund me to do exactly THAT!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
meerkt wrote:

I wish someone would fund me to do exactly THAT!

How do you ensure you have an unbiased data set? What qualifies as an adverse event? What qualifies as being "linked to the number 8" (or any other number)? You're tilting at windmills for a cause that common sense says does not exist.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
How do you ensure you have an unbiased data set? What qualifies as an adverse event? What qualifies as being "linked to the number 8" (or any other number)? You're tilting at windmills for a cause that common sense says does not exist.

I'll worry about all that when I have an angel investor who believes in me more than I believe in myself.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 pm

You don't need an investor. An hour per day to collect and tag data from Wikipedia and the web. A few months later you'll have thousands.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 pm

meerkt wrote:
You don't need an investor. An hour per day to collect and tag data from Wikipedia and the web. A few months later you'll have thousands.

I'm not that crazy to do this for free. I could enjoy my life in that one hour by doing something relaxing. It's not like I'll be awarded a Nobel for my research on number 8. I'm not even an academic. When was the last time a Math/Science Nobel was awarded to a non-academic person?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
meerkt wrote:

I'm not that crazy to do this for free. I could enjoy my life in that one hour by doing something relaxing.

You spend a lot of time posting about stuff like this here, and you're doing it for free... what if you spent that time actually doing the analysis instead of engaging in random speculation?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
You spend a lot of time posting about stuff like this here, and you're doing it for free... what if you spent that time actually doing the analysis instead of engaging in random speculation?

It would be hard work and utterly pointless if it isn't fruitful in the end. I post here in the hope that maybe someone will take the torch and light the world on fire.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It would be hard work and utterly pointless if it isn't fruitful in the end. I post here in the hope that maybe someone will take the torch and light the world on fire.

It's all on you, dude. You're the one who believes in this stuff.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of a Flat Earther asking everyone else to prove that the Earth is round. The burden of proof is on the person who is making the extraordinary claims, not the other way around.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It's all on you, dude. You're the one who believes in this stuff.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of a Flat Earther asking everyone else to prove that the Earth is round. The burden of proof is on the person who is making the extraordinary claims, not the other way around.

Well you know what they say, " the proof is in the pudding ". That should give you an idea of where to look for more proof igor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:43 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Well you know what they say, " the proof is in the pudding ". That should give you an idea of where to look for more proof igor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding

Ha Ha. You are hilarious.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:19 am

Curious: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Commission date March 26, 1971

Nothing related to 8 but this could be the next nuclear disaster: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 310545.ece

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:13 am

]Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Curious: ...

No, it's not. At least, not to anyone besides you.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Nothing related to 8 but this could be the next nuclear disaster: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 310545.ece

AFAIK most reactors currently store spent fuel on site. What makes this one more likely to fail?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
AFAIK most reactors currently store spent fuel on site. What makes this one more likely to fail?

Coz of the number of incidents that have already occurred, leading to shutdown. Totaling 70 so far.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am

Eight times I have clicked on this thread. Eight times I have regretted it.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 am

Vrock wrote:
Eight times I have clicked on this thread. Eight times I have regretted it.

Maybe happiness lies somewhere around 88...

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Maybe happiness lies somewhere around 88...

OK, Marty.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am

The Chinese think 8 is a lucky number.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology#Eight

WTH??? :o

There's a Wikipedia article saying how good 8 is yet my counter argument is immediately dismissed as crap. Figures.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology#Eight

WTH??? :o

There's a Wikipedia article saying how good 8 is yet my counter argument is immediately dismissed as crap. Figures.

The VERY FIRST line of the article says "In Chinese tradition, certain numbers are believed by some to be auspicious". (emphasis mine)

IOW, this is what some Chinese people believe. They're not vouching for the factual accuracy of that belief, just the fact that the belief exists.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:59 am

What I wanna know, nay, what I DEMAND to know is, where's the Wikipedia page detailing MY belief? Someone put up a page right now(!) before I vent my frustration on some inanimate object in my general vicinity.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
What I wanna know, nay, what I DEMAND to know is, where's the Wikipedia page detailing MY belief? Someone put up a page right now(!) before I vent my frustration on some inanimate object in my general vicinity.

There's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself, though I'll be surprised if it lasts a week before getting yanked.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

There's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself, though I'll be surprised if it lasts a week before getting yanked.

That's why I won't be doing it. I need Morpheus.