Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Here's another thing you can look for that you will find a lot around you. People born on the "8" days tend to be best buddies with those born on "5" days.

And if you happen to be a 9, I'm sure you can recall quite a few times where you got burned by being in contact with, being close to or being friends with an "8". But here's a kind of a weird thing. If you are a 9 and you marry an 8, you might actually become quite wealthy. Can't figure that one out. Is it coz being with 8 is so bad that nature compensates you with riches?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Must really irk the techie types who only believe in well-crafted algorithms and researched-to-death natural phenomena.

Irk me? Hardly. But what really intrigues me is how one (you, in this case) can be completely oblivious to one's own confirmation bias.

You cling to the occasional odd case that supports your preconception while discarding away hundreds of others that would prove it wrong on a daily basis. I wonder what a bias like yours feels like. Do you just tune out the world at large around you? Or honestly not even notice? Or is it a nagging voice inside your head, commanding you to bleat beliefs against your intuition? Whatever the case, it's honestly quite entertaining but unfortunately, enlightenment won't be had by it.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Meadows wrote:
But what really intrigues me is how one (you, in this case) can be completely oblivious to one's own confirmation bias.

The thing that you call confirmation bias IS my inner voice. Can't ignore it. Way too loud. Instead of trying to use scientific principles to debunk every theory, how about just for fun skeptically testing a theory with observations of your own? No one is asking you to become a believer. The whole point of this thread is to let people know that there is something fishy about 8. Observe and form your own conclusions.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Meadows wrote:
But what really intrigues me is how one (you, in this case) can be completely oblivious to one's own confirmation bias.

The thing that you call confirmation bias IS my inner voice. Can't ignore it. Way too loud. Instead of trying to use scientific principles to debunk every theory, how about just for fun skeptically testing a theory with observations of your own? No one is asking you to become a believer. The whole point of this thread is to let people know that there is something fishy about 8. Observe and form your own conclusions.

There is nothing fishy about it. It's all in your head.

Seriously (I am not being facetious here) you probably ought to be on medication for that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Seriously (I am not being facetious here) you probably ought to be on medication for that.

If only you could see what I see...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

If only you could see what I see...

We definitely all can, but all the avenues to do so are illegal in the United States. Still I recommend shrooms, or DMT but you still might not reach Igor levels.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 am

Heiwashin wrote:
We definitely all can, but all the avenues to do so are illegal in the United States. Still I recommend shrooms, or DMT but you still might not reach Igor levels.

My apologies if I can't describe this properly due to not being a native English speaker. You know the security barrier at the entrance/exit checkpost of parking lots? OK, this one was smaller and lighter than usual but still made of something hard. Not the usual long metallic cylindrical type. It could have been made of hard wood. So anyway, I was walking lost in my thoughts and followed a car exiting such a checkpost. As soon as the car left, the security barrier dropped like a hammer on my head. What's funny in a way is that it didn't crack my skull. Instead, it bounced off and hit me AGAIN! Double whammy! A filipino woman across the street shrieked in horror when she saw this happen. The security guy at the checkpost just watched on incredulously. I walked away, rubbing my head trying to rub away the pain which was intense and numbing at the same time. As far as I know, there was no loss of blood. This happened around 2008-2009. Do you think I should get a CT scan? Which area of the brain could have been affected in the top dead center of the head?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 am

I'm not sure if this was meant to convey your general day-to-day oblivious to your surroundings, or if you're implying that your current tendencies began after a hard blow to the head?

In any case, if you did not experience any nausea, dizziness, unusual/excessive sleepiness, or other negative effects beyond a bump on your head that healed after a few days, there was probably no concussion. Even if there was, it's rather late to do anything about it 10 years on so there's probably not much point in the expense of a CT scan.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
No one is asking you to become a believer. The whole point of this thread is to let people know that there is something fishy about 8.

This is a straight contradiction. You are asking people to believe that the concept of "8" does anything beyond being a concept.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:46 am

Meadows wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
No one is asking you to become a believer. The whole point of this thread is to let people know that there is something fishy about 8.

This is a straight contradiction. You are asking people to believe that the concept of "8" does anything beyond being a concept.

I'm asking people to start noticing 8 around them more and then maybe someone will figure out the why.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Meadows wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I'm asking people to start noticing 8 around them more and then maybe someone will figure out the why.

That just sounds like the Law of Filtering -- i.e. once something (anything really) comes to your attention, you always notice it from that point on.

Example: this spring I helped my friend move 400 KM away, and for the move he was driving a Penske moving truck with me following in his SUV. I never really noticed Penske trucks before, but man, since that move they're everywhere!
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:02 pm

K-L-Waster wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Meadows wrote:

That just sounds like the Law of Filtering -- i.e. once something (anything really) comes to your attention, you always notice it from that point on.

Example: this spring I helped my friend move 400 KM away, and for the move he was driving a Penske moving truck with me following in his SUV. I never really noticed Penske trucks before, but man, since that move they're everywhere!

See also:

The arrow in the FedEx logo.
Other logo themes like the Amazon "smile".
People saying "ATM Machine" or "PIN Number".
Literally any car after you buy one for yourself.

And "8" is literally one digit out of only 10 available. One could easily find coincidences with the other 9 digits.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm

superjawes wrote:
And "8" is literally one digit out of only 10 available. One could easily find coincidences with the other 9 digits.

Hey, don't forget little Twelvetoes.

https://youtu.be/_uJsoZheTR4
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Hey, don't forget little Twelvetoes.

https://youtu.be/_uJsoZheTR4

Wow, I had completely forgotten about that!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_curse

The curse is actually pretty simple to explain. Joseph Kennedy Sr. was born on March 8.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

The curse is actually pretty simple to explain. Joseph Kennedy Sr. was born on March 8.

...and yet, none of the deaths happened on the 8th of any month. If 8 was that "special", wouldn't that be the case?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:44 am

Roughly 1/3 of everything must be cursed. :roll:
Of the first one thousand cardinal numbers, over one third of them include the digit "8" or have digits that sum to "8".
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Of the first one thousand cardinal numbers, 300 of them include the digit "8" and 45 of them have digits that sum to "8".

Those 45 numbers are cursed! By the way, did you sum them up just for lil ole' me? :P

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Of the first one thousand cardinal numbers, over one third of them include the digit "8" or have digits that sum to "8".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

...and yet, none of the deaths happened on the 8th of any month. If 8 was that "special", wouldn't that be the case?

It started with 8. Ending with 8 wasn't necessary. They were cursed from the beginning. But here's the thing. Despite the curse, they managed to influence a whole nation. So that's that about 8. It has historical significance.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:23 am

You can find 8 in anything if you look hard enough. Oh no, everything is cursed!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
You can find 8 in anything if you look hard enough. Oh no, everything is cursed!

https://youtu.be/zbgXOkyF09M
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 am

just brew it! wrote:

That's what I am trying to determine. What's the pattern for 8 impacting things? Once I have that figured out, I can avoid unpleasantness related to 8. Or maybe 8 is good for me? I don't know yet. My 2nd boss is 8. On the one hand, he keeps giving me extra work to do. Like preparing stupid reports which I didn't have to do before he came aboard. On the other hand, I do learn stuff while making his reports and he does help me out every now and then in things I am useless at. But overall, he can be annoying when he wants something urgently. I'm not sure what to think about him.

Fact: Tom Hanks is 9. His wife is 8. And they are rich! Happy? Hmm...not sure about that.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's what I am trying to determine. What's the pattern for 8 impacting things?

It is completely, utterly random. If you look hard enough you will find just as many cases where 8 leads to good things, and other numbers lead to bad things.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Once I have that figured out, I can avoid unpleasantness related to 8.

You will never "figure it out" because there is nothing to figure out here. Get over it. To avoid unpleasantness, you need to learn to avoid putting yourself in situations which increase the odds of unpleasant things occurring. Period. And this has absolutely nothing to do with numerology (or any other superstitious belief system).

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's what I am trying to determine. What's the pattern for 8 impacting things?

It is completely, utterly random. If you look hard enough you will find just as many cases where 8 leads to good things, and other numbers lead to bad things.

OK then you or someone else here should start compiling a list of "good" things/events associated with the number 8 so we can put this notion of 8 being bad, to rest once and for all. I can't do that compilation since I only see bad attached to 8.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:25 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

OK then you or someone else here should start compiling a list of "good" things/events associated with the number 8 so we can put this notion of 8 being bad, to rest once and for all. I can't do that compilation since I only see bad attached to 8.

I ate a snickers bar this morning and felt bloated afterwards, does that count? :-?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - else here believes in numerology, and would not want to waste the time compiling such a list in an attempt to convince an obviously delusional person on the internet that they are mistaken. Even if someone did, you'd just rationalize it away somehow (like you've done EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone here posts a logical argument refuting one of your wild-ass assertions).

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
Even if someone did, you'd just rationalize it away somehow (like you've done EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone here posts a logical argument refuting one of your wild-ass assertions).

i'm not THAT delusional. If it really is something good, I will accept it as good. PERIOD.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:32 am

Double 8 birthdates:

Dustin Hoffman, actor, 1938/8/8
Paul Dirac, physicist, 1902/8/8
Roger Penrose, mathematician-cosmologist, 1931/8/8
The Edge, U2 guitarist, 1961/8/8

Single 8 stuff:

Allied-Japan Peace Treaty, signed 1951/9/8
Macedonia independence day, 1991/9/8 (don't know, maybe bad from the other side)
Marty Friedman, metal guitarist, born 1962/12/8
SpaceX CRS-*8* (first booster landing on sea, 8th resupply mission), 2016/4/8
Parents' Day in South Korea, May 8
Queen's third album, released 1974/11/8 (but called Sheer Heart Attack)
Last edited by meerkt on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 am

meerkt wrote:
Double 8s birthdates:

Dustin Hoffman, actor, 1938/8/8
Paul Dirac, physicist, 1902/8/8
Roger Penrose, mathematician-cosmologist, 1931/8/8

After reading their Wikipedia articles, I could not find anything negative or disastrous that came either directly or indirectly from them. So unless there is a mistake in their date of births, I concede that perhaps I was mistaken. It could still be a lack of information about these people but so far, I guess you have done a fine job of shutting me up.