Page 1 of 5

Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:38 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
I have noticed weird things about the number 8.

Examples:

The day Trump got elected

Narendra Modi giving orders to do crazy things like blasting a satellite out of the sky and demonetizing currency

German Chancellor Merkel allowing refugees to flood Germany

All of these have two things in common: disaster and the number 8. There are many more examples that I can't remember right now but I will be sure to list them when I do. The reason I started this post is coz I found out that Need for Speed Heat will be releasing on November 8. Not a good sign. Watch out for disaster! Also, another game releasing on the same day? Hideo Kojima's weird Death Stranding (what kind of name is that???). Remember, you read it here first!

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:15 pm
by bthylafh
Oh for $DEITY's sake.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 pm
by Captain Ned

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:26 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... arthquakes

Am I the only one who finds it extremely curious that the only magnitude 9 earthquake on this list just happened to be on December 26? Why curious, you ask? 26=2+6=8.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm
by bthylafh
Credulously reposting pseudoscientific nonsense is certainly on brand for you.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 pm
by Vrock
Lol

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:23 pm
by derFunkenstein
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes#Deadliest_earthquakes

Am I the only one who finds it extremely curious that the only magnitude 9 earthquake on this list just happened to be on December 26? Why curious, you ask? 26=2+6=8.

At first I thought someone was mocking you, but then I realized we just witnessed Poe's law in action. Also: Half-Life 3 confirmed? Half-Life 8 instead?

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:00 pm
by just brew it!
Kavinski has 8 letters in it, and this is the 8th post in this topic. Also, today is the 19th of October, and if you subtract 1 from 9 you get 8. So this thread must be a disaster!

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:13 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
just brew it! wrote:
Kavinski has 8 letters in it, and this is the 8th post in this topic.


Too good!

just brew it! wrote:
Also, today is the 19th of October, and if you subtract 1 from 9 you get 8. So this thread must be a disaster!


Nah. Doesn't work like that. You always need to add. 19=1+9=10=1+0=1.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:13 pm
by meerkt
jbi: You posted at 8pm.

And there's 23.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:37 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
All numbers can be reduced to single digits, except 11, 22 and 33. These are the master numbers. They indicate higher purpose.

Here's a rundown of the 9 types of people in this world:

1: Popular. Charismatic. Leadership qualities. Good at cracking jokes.
2. Business minded people who often just "know" things.
3. Ambitious people who don't stop till they get to the top.
4. People who know how to enjoy life despite being unlucky in different ways.
5.They are the glue that bring all the other types of people together. However, they often have to battle addiction. Could be food, sex, anything.
6. These people are unusually lucky and caring. Their goodness helps to heal the world.
7. They have successful careers and have almost everything but still feel unfulfilled. They have a real temper.
8. They often start poor but after struggles and quite a few accidents, end up in a good place. BUT they might spell disaster for those around them.
9. These are the humanitarians who work tirelessly for the greater good.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:40 pm
by derFunkenstein
I beg to differ. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, and 3+3=6.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 pm
by just brew it!
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
You always need to add.

Why? That seems like arbitrary discrimination against all of the other arithmetic operators!

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
19=1+9=10=1+0=1.

More discrimination. This is blatant base-10-ism. While base 10 arithmetic seems "natural" to us because we've grown up with it, there is no empirical evidence that the universe has an innate base-10-ness to it. Why not base 60 (as used by ancient Babylonians), or base 2 (as used in computing), or base 16 (also used in CompSci as a convenient shorthand for binary, since groups of 4 binary digits can be exactly represented by a single base-16 digit)?

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:50 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
derFunkenstein wrote:
I beg to differ. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, and 3+3=6.


Yes, that's true and indeed, 11s are 2s and 22s are 4s but there isn't a 33 in real life since no one can be born on the 33rd day of a month. Anyone born on the 11th day of a month is meant to be a great teacher, usually after the age of 40. Those born on 22nd serve a greater purpose in life.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 pm
by just brew it!
You forgot:
10. People who start nonsensical numerology threads on tech forums.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:52 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
You always need to add.

Why? That seems like arbitrary discrimination against all of the other arithmetic operators!


Don't ask me, man. I didn't make the rules!

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
just brew it! wrote:
You forgot:
10. People who start nonsensical numerology threads on tech forums.


Nope. 10 is just 1. And people like me who seem "nonsensical" may actually be the ones trying to open your mind's eye to see more than you think you know.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:00 pm
by Igor_Kavinski
just brew it! wrote:
While base 10 arithmetic seems "natural" to us because we've grown up with it, there is no empirical evidence that the universe has an innate base-10-ness to it. Why not base 60 (as used by ancient Babylonians), or base 2 (as used in computing), or base 16 (also used in CompSci as a convenient shorthand for binary, since groups of 4 binary digits can be exactly represented by a single base-16 digit)?


Only a mathematician is qualified to answer that one. As for me, I just see patterns and I think that is God's way of telling us that we are not alone in this world. That we have Him to thank for everything we hold near and dear to us.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:19 pm
by just brew it!
The "pattern" is merely an artifact of how we represent numbers. It has no physical significance.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:48 pm
by bthylafh
I'm mystified how some people survive day-to-day.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:44 pm
by bthylafh
The newest XKCD is strangely apropos:

Image

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:09 am
by Meadows
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Don't ask me, man. I didn't make the rules!

Months don't "exist", days don't "exist", and the number 33 certainly "does exist" in nature. Making stuff up doesn't make a "rule" any more real than taking placebo will alleviate pain. Ergo, it may feel that way to you, but ultimately it is of no substance.

Adding digits has no significance because digits themselves have no significance. Both of those things were made up by people who died several thousands of years ago.

You are trying to find real comfort in something imaginary. I'm going to assume you're hiding an important scar on your life.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:32 am
by Igor_Kavinski
Meadows wrote:
Adding digits has no significance because digits themselves have no significance. Both of those things were made up by people who died several thousands of years ago.


Those people knew something that we don't. Ancient civilizations were much more advanced than us in some ways. Every civilization had its own strengths. Ours is science and technology but we just haven't progressed enough to make sense of the spiritual side of existence and that is governed by numbers. Heck, we can't even simulate the entire human body. See this: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163 ... processors

How can we hope to know with our limited technology what really lies in the great unknown waiting to be discovered? The ancients left us clues and by observing the behavior and accomplishments of all sorts of different people, I have come to see patterns that match what their birth dates predict. Telling me that numbers are meaningless is like telling an astrophysicist that imagining and theorizing about stars and celestial bodies is meaningless. Someday, the impact of numbers on our lives will become common knowledge just as we know about electricity and magnetism. Till then, beware the number 8. If you know someone born on the 8th, 17th or 26th of a month, be prepared to feel their impact on those around them or depending on the power they wield, the world or even history.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 am
by JustAnEngineer
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I just haven't progressed enough to make sense.
:roll:

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 am
by Igor_Kavinski
Couldn't help noticing the concern over Erdogan's actions here: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8&t=122487

He's an 8. He's either going to be a disaster for the Turkish people, or the rest of the world. Can't win either way.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 am
by just brew it!
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Those people knew something that we don't. Ancient civilizations were much more advanced than us in some ways. Every civilization had its own strengths. Ours is science and technology but we just haven't progressed enough to make sense of the spiritual side of existence and that is governed by numbers.

Even if numbers had anything to do with spirituality (they don't...), the way we represent numbers using the digits 0-9 is merely one more artifact of the "science and technology" you're disdaining here. So is the modern calendar. They are arbitrary, and are little more than a convenience that makes it easier for humans to deal with numbers and dates.

Adding up the decimal digits of a date and attempting to infer something from the result makes about as much sense as inferring some deep mystical significance from the fact that the vowels 'a', 'e', and 'i' are evenly spaced within the alphabet, but 'o' and 'u' are not.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am
by superjawes
just brew it! wrote:
Even if numbers had anything to do with spirituality (they don't...), the way we represent numbers using the digits 0-9 is merely one more artifact of the "science and technology" you're disdaining here. So is the modern calendar. They are arbitrary, and are little more than a convenience that makes it easier for humans to deal with numbers and dates.

JBI's point actually goes even deeper with this "number 8" nonsense. Strictly speaking, OCTober should be the 8th month. It's only the 10th because of a couple Ceasars made their way into the calendar. If there was some sort of "spiritual significance" to the number 8, wouldn't it make more sense for "stuff" to happen in October? Or the actual 8th month, August? Or maybe we could look into rational reasons why things tend to happen around certain dates/days/events. Ever wonder why the full moon has significance? Just go outside on a full moon night compared to a new moon night.

To make this thread someone productive, I highly recommend The Orville. It's basically a Star Trek show, only funnier. The relevant episode is "All the World Is Birthday Cake", where the crew make first contact with an alien race who still cling to some ancient traditions. It's food for thought.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 am
by meerkt
What about people born, or projects started or ended, in: 1961, 1970, 1979, 1988, 1997, 2006, 2015...?

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:58 am
by Igor_Kavinski
superjawes wrote:
To make this thread someone productive, I highly recommend The Orville. It's basically a Star Trek show, only funnier. The relevant episode is "All the World Is Birthday Cake", where the crew make first contact with an alien race who still cling to some ancient traditions. It's food for thought.


Seen that. I'm not saying do something about the No.8 people or stop them with whatever means necessary. Maybe the world needs some disasters to make it better or something.

Re: Food for thought: The number 8

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:04 am
by Igor_Kavinski
meerkt wrote:
What about people born, or projects started or ended, in: 1961, 1970, 1979, 1988, 1997, 2006, 2015...?


Years fall into Chinese Animal sign territory. Those are for the mentioned years, in order, Ox, Dog, Goat, Dragon, Ox, Dog and Goat. All of these tend to be hard working people. The 8 I am referring to is the day of the month, specifically the 8th, the 17th and the 26th.