Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

The Mandalorian

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:22 am

Yup I woke up an hour early before work to watch the first Episode on Disney+.

WHOA! If this is what Star Wars is like without Lucas, I like it!

NINJA EDIT: It definitely has that Dave Filoni story telling vibe. And if yo watched Clone Wars and Rebels you know what I'm talking about.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: The Mandalorian

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 am

PSA: Apparently if you have Verizon with an unlimited data plan, the first year of Disney+ is free as a "12-month trial": https://www.droid-life.com/2019/11/12/f ... s-verizon/

Although currently I'm unable to verify my account, so I can't watch anything yet. I'm not getting the email with the verify link
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 pm

I'm ready to sign up mainly for Mandalorian and the upcoming Kenobi series. Multiple reports today of technical difficulties and log-on issues with Disney +.
Once they get the glitches worked out I'll get on board. My kids are fans of the Clone Wars and Rebels series and like me they enjoyed Rogue One more than the other recent movie releases.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:30 pm

I give the first episode 2 1/2 mehs. Bad CGI and a stupid blue alien ruined the first half of the episode. Let's hope it gets better.

As for Disney +, works flawlessly on my LG OLED.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 am

Doesn't anyone have an issue with Fett's voice? Should be deeper, more menacing.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:19 am

The character isn't Fett. Anyway Fett's voice was changed to a bland Kiwi accent years ago.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm

The first episode is fantastic. We loved it. Worked great playing off the XboneS.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:19 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Doesn't anyone have an issue with Fett's voice? Should be deeper, more menacing.

That's not Fett! Anyways Jango and Boba wern't true Mandalorians. The former was the model of all clone troopers the later was an unaltered clone. Reading is fundamental.

This guy is a Mandalorian from Mand'alor. We have yet to see what his sigil is or know what house/clan he is from. My two best bets are: He is of House Wren (This is a Dave Filoni show) or a former Mandalorian Guard which were chosen as the best from all the Houses/clans. A far assumption is he is a former Death Watch member but he is shaping up to be a "good-guy" thus far so......that may not be the case.

Ninja Edit: I totally forgot that Pedro Pascal name dropped the Mandalorian a few days ago and it's Din Jarron. So he may not be of House Wren. And currently there is no annotation of House Jarron so..........I guess we shall see if Pedro Pascal's name drop is a red herring or MacGuffin.

/Star Wars nerd
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm

tanker27 wrote:
/Star Wars nerd

No offense but it looks like Star Wars is your religion. Which book you enjoyed more? Wraith Squadron or Starfighters of Adumar? Both deserve their movie/series, right? Rightttttt?????

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Both were enjoyable. And both are non-cannon now, relegated as Legends. However of the two, Wraith Squadron, might be showing its head sooner than later or at least some elements from it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
It it looks like Star Wars is your religion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

That's not Fett! Anyways Jango and Boba wern't true Mandalorians. The former was the model of all clone troopers the later was an unaltered clone. Reading is fundamental.

This guy is a Mandalorian from Mand'alor. We have yet to see what his sigil is or know what house/clan he is from. My two best bets are: He is of House Wren (This is a Dave Filoni show)
Speaking of Filoni...Mandalorians in Rebels routinely appeared without helmets. Not the case with this show. I know we are one episode in but we saw Sabine's mug on day 1. I wonder how much of Filoni's own canon he will kill.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:25 am

I'm ok with it at this point. I am sure we will see Pedro's face at some point, the trailers even allude to it. Maybe its part of the story maybe it isn't I just am not distracted by it. :P

BTW there were two episodes last week. One on Tuesday and one on Friday. ;) They are being released on Friday's from here on out with DEC 20th's being released on DEC 18th because of that other Star Wars movie. And there's only eight episodes in season 1. :/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Wow. This is indeed Star Wars and Jon Favreau is clearly a huge fan. Everything is just right. Oh, by the way, Yoda is so cute! Plz don't tell me that's not baby Yoda...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Plz don't tell me that's not baby Yoda...

Yes and No. We don't know Yoda and Yaddles species so its referred to as Species Yoda. So, No, this is not the Yoda or any other Species Yoda you have seen before. The Mandalorian takes place after the fall of the Empire and before the rise of the First Order. (Between EP.6 and EP.7)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Ep2 was so good! I am going to be very impatient for this series.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Ep2 was so good! I am going to be very impatient for this series.

Yep!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:22 am

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am

Still haven't watched anything after The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar Binks happened and I was just done.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 am

The Egg wrote:
Still haven't watched anything after The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar Binks happened and I was just done.

You can't be serious. Don't you watch a lame movie on occasion to kill some time? Treat the subsequent ones like big budget lame movies and I think you will be surprised. Rogue One especially is nice. Don't watch Solo, though. That really was lame.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 am

Episode 2 was much better. I am confused about what planet they are on, though. Jawas and Sandcrawlers have been a Tattooine only fixture in the past.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
The Egg wrote:

You can't be serious. Don't you watch a lame movie on occasion to kill some time? Treat the subsequent ones like big budget lame movies and I think you will be surprised. Rogue One especially is nice. Don't watch Solo, though. That really was lame.
I thought Solo was pretty well done, actually. It captured more of that Star Wars spirit better than many of the post-1983 films.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:18 am

Vrock wrote:
Episode 2 was much better. I am confused about what planet they are on, though. Jawas and Sandcrawlers have been a Tattooine only fixture in the past.

They didn't mention a planet name but I believe its Arvala-7 because of its Tattoonie-like geography. (This planet was in a couple episodes of Clone Wars)

Vrock wrote:
I thought Solo was pretty well done, actually. It captured more of that Star Wars spirit better than many of the post-1983 films.

I have to agree. Solo wasn't complete Bantha-poo.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:48 am

It just gets better and better! I think it's a Force thing. The kid has bonded with him in a Force way and now the fates of these two are intertwined. Anyone wanna guess when they communicate proper? I think maybe he's gonna have a dream in which the kid "speaks" to him. Do Mandalorians actually sleep?

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Rogue One and Solo were both fun movies. I actually kinda preferred Solo...

To me, they're all fun movies. Yes, there are some annoying parts and annoying characters - and some annoying actors - but all in all they're just fun movies. And they were made over many decades so it's frankly kinda naive to expect them to all have exactly the same vibe.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am

EP3 was awesome. I love, LOVE this "new" Star Wars. With Favreau producing, Filoni writing, and the directors it's so full of awsomeness! EP3 was Directed by Deborah Chow who has also been tapped for the upcoming Obi-Wan series. Anyways, EP3 was just wonderful. Sure they Retconned a few things, I can get over that. But EP3 was a full-on nod to Akira Kurosawa and I LOVE IT!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

ermo
Gerbil

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Yup I woke up an hour early before work to watch the first Episode on Disney+.

WHOA! If this is what Star Wars is like without Lucas, I like it!

NINJA EDIT: It definitely has that Dave Filoni story telling vibe. And if yo watched Clone Wars and Rebels you know what I'm talking about.

Both Clone Wars and Rebels are absolutely "must watch" IMHO. Clone Wars does an excellent job of fleshing out the Emperor's (and thus Anakin's and Padme's) story arch and -- at least in my view -- bring a much greater sense of depth to the somewhat disjointed prequels (I, II and III). Clone Wars also develops and sets up a key character in Rebels very nicely.

I re-watched ep. I, II and III after watching Clone Wars, which made it much easier to relegate Jar Jar to the role of plot device. If one were to draw a Fallout universe parallel, I guess Jar Jar would be a clumsy character with low-ish mental stats but a high Luck score, making for plenty of wacky surprises during a play-through.

Rogue One was good but tragic. Solo was ... I'm still on the fence. Part good, part meh perhaps? The less said about the Rey films, the better (I'm looking at you, Rian "let's kill off all the interesting stuff JJ Abrams set up" Johnson). On the basis of my experience with Clone Wars and Rebels, I'm becoming more and more convinced that having a tightly written, directed and produced series with a larger, complete series story arch and many smaller interwoven and interspersed story arches is the way to go for telling stories in the Star Wars universe.

And yes, Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni could very well be the best people to have at the helm in such a venture.
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:26 am

Disney could certainly do worse than give Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni their own SW trilogy.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:22 pm

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1198962112590053377

Does that "flying stormtrooper launcher cum batmobile" thing look weirdly out of place in a Star Wars movie?

According to Abrams, the movie was shot around Leia's unseen footage. Either they got very, very creative or we are gonna have plot elements that make little to no sense.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Disney could certainly do worse than give Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni their own SW trilogy.

Please, no more trilogies. Hasn't been a good one since 1983.