Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Rise of Skywalker spoilers

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 am

WTF. I will not be seeing this film.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/12/s ... -spoilers/
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Rise of Skywalker spoilers

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:06 am

Yes. Anyone who thought The Last Jedi had problems better take his blood pressure pills with him when seeing this movie :lol:

So let's see what new things were revealed in this movie?

Jedi/Sith hybrid can effortlessly control objects through Force, no matter the size. She just needs to concentrate hard enough.
She discovers she can Force heal and literally brings back people from the brink of death. Later, she is brought back to life through an exchange of Life Force.
It takes the life out of an old Jedi to reach another Jedi's mind across the universe.
Lightsabers can be transferred to any point in the universe through Force alone (hey that's Quantum teleportation :P )
When doing Force Facetime, avoid touching or otherwise breaking objects in your vicinity otherwise you risk exposing your location to your partner/adversary.
And so many more! Seriously, it was fun watching all the incredulous stuff, even by Force standards! :D

EDIT: Added spoiler tag.
Last edited by Igor_Kavinski on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:30 am

Vrock wrote:
WTF. I will not be seeing this film.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/12/s ... -spoilers/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/12/ ... -the-film/

Abrams may have been hogtied to serious expectations and demands from fans and Lucasfilm alike in selling Episode IX's ultimate moral message. This is a bloated, unwieldy film, and it's proof that we're all better off if the Star Wars side of Disney takes a breather from tentpole trilogies going forward. But the crucial stuff made it across Rise's finish line, enough to well my tears up in satisfying, dedicated-fan fashion, and Ridley, Driver, Isaac, and Boyega can all be proud of delivering their best performances yet in this final entry.

It's bad, yes but not bad enough to skip.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey Igor, how about using the spoilers tag if you're gonna post specific plot items?

Yes, I know it's the name of the thread but it's still common courtesy...

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:30 pm

cphite wrote:
Hey Igor, how about using the spoilers tag if you're gonna post specific plot items?

Yes, I know it's the name of the thread but it's still common courtesy...
Uh, no. You clicked on a thread that says Star Wars spoilers. To read said thread, and get snitty because THERE WERE STAR WARS SPOILERS IN THE THREAD is just ridiculous.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:33 pm

I see, so bad Star Wars is better than no Star Wars?

I remember thinking that, once upon a time. Then, Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure came on TV.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Vrock wrote:
I see, so bad Star Wars is better than no Star Wars?

The end battle is similar/maybe even better than Rogue One's. I think that alone is reason enough to watch it.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:25 am

The end battle wasn't what made Rogue One good. Fancy 'splosions and effects are fine, but I'd rather have characters I care about and a story that makes at least a little bit of sense. There was no dramatic end battle in Empire. Yet, four stars! Amazing, right?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:01 am

Holy crap. Who wrote this garbage?

I think I'm over all the family drama.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 am

When C-3PO poignantly says "I'm taking one last look at my friends," the only people in the room are Rey, Poe. Finn, BB-8 and Babu. These are work acquaintances at best.

At. Best.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Strange, I liked it a lot. Yeah I think the force powers got to be a bit too much but that is my only major complaint. Other than they had to rush character development because they did not bother with it much in TLJ. The major mistake they had with these three movies was not having a head writer and plot designer through all three. Made the overall arc rather convoluted.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Just curious, how old are you?

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Disney officially killed their golden goose. At this point, they are lucky to recoup the cost of acquiring the IP from Lucas.

So much wasted potential and they didn't have to try hard either.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:06 am

zgirl wrote:
Strange, I liked it a lot.

Can you be specific please? What did you like? I liked the visual effects, the end battle and the lightsaber combat over the ocean and at the end. And tons of Star Destroyers in breathable atmosphere. That was new, if weird.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:20 am

Krogoth wrote:
Disney officially killed their golden goose.

Situation with RoS is similar to TLJ. Tons of haters but no dearth of fans either. I will be surprised if RoS doesn't manage at least a billion at the box office.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 am

Rise wasn't as bad as TLJ, but yeah, it was wasted partly. They did refresh things with the focus on Palpatine's bloodline, as I had speculated. Following the Luke-Kylo showdown, I would have had the Ren Knights appear and kill off useless Finn while Poe and Chewbacca make a last stand at the festival. Lando's people could have been the ones to rescue them as before.

It all seemed so compressed and rushed as it is. Too much context was left out, presumably for exploitation in later movies. Disney should have made the news about the Emperor and the search for the Sith planet the cliffhanger finale of the previous movie. This bifurcation would have allowed space for more interesting story lines in Rise, such as the backstory of Sidious/Snoke and the Exagol bolthole, a showdown between the Knights of ren and the First Order deserters, and perhaps the First Order turning against Darth Sidious once they see Kylo being crushed.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:29 am

Terrible actor complains about terrible movie.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3030 ... criticise/

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:14 am

Vrock wrote:

He can probably forget about any more acting offers from Disney.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Good, everybody wins.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Vrock wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Good, everybody wins.

Well, whaddaya know? Something good came out of Rise of Skywalker for you, after all :D

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:06 pm

It did pretty well but not TLJ levels of revenue. https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/22/2103 ... ernational
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:00 am

Vrock wrote:

Why does that matter?
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
zgirl wrote:
Strange, I liked it a lot.

Can you be specific please? What did you like? I liked the visual effects, the end battle and the lightsaber combat over the ocean and at the end. And tons of Star Destroyers in breathable atmosphere. That was new, if weird.

I liked the action, the overall story (for what it could be after TLJ). Look I was not a huge fan of TLJ and they wasted a lot of character development that they had to cram into TROS. To me TROS was fun again it was Star Wars and told a story that went somewhere. It is not a perfect movie by any means and I have my complaints but I do not hate it.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:16 am

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/rian- ... 202197921/

Maybe they should give Rian Johnson the shot footage of RoS and let him shock the fans again :D On a more serious note, I hope there is an extended version that somewhat removes the feeling of hurried production that plagues the theatrical cut.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

zgirl wrote:
I liked the action, the overall story (for what it could be after TLJ). Look I was not a huge fan of TLJ and they wasted a lot of character development that they had to cram into TROS. To me TROS was fun again it was Star Wars and told a story that went somewhere. It is not a perfect movie by any means and I have my complaints but I do not hate it.

Likewise I neither love nor hate the recent movies, I just mainly miss the character development as Zgirl mentions. I’m from the earlier generation that watched the Star Wars movies in theaters in the 70’s-80’s. I still have some of the excitement as I take my kids to see the films (saw TRoS on Sat) but even as teenagers they recognize the new characters are just not engaging. The action is fun to experience and some of the visuals are amazing on a big screen however the bland acting and too many random characters without depth kind of diminish the magic. Poe is the only character that I find somewhat authentic out of the new cast. Adam Driver is a good actor and I think better writing could have fleshed out his character more as he struggled between Kylo and Ben. The TRoS did seem like too much was going on with a lot of fetch-questing. The conclusion was OK but predictable. There was one event I was not expecting but fortunately it was a short-shock and I am glad the Falcon survived as well. Disney has stated they are taking a hiatus from big Star Wars movies which makes sense and hopefully the focus on episodic series like the Mandalorian will continually improve. Also looking forward to the Kenobi series and with Ewan McGregor I’m optimistic.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm

zgirl wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Why does that matter?
I am curious if there's a correlation between a person's age and their Star Wars preferences. I find that people who grew up with the OT are less inclined to like the newer movies.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Vrock wrote:
zgirl wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Why does that matter?

I am curious if there's a correlation between a person's age and their Star Wars preferences. I find that people who grew up with the OT are less inclined to like the newer movies.

Seems plausible to me.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vrock wrote:
zgirl wrote:
Why does that matter?

Seems plausible to me.

Without a doubt. Tis why I've bent the net to acquire the 4K scan of the theatrical release of ANH.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:31 am